Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

we don't have garbage plates here u idiot
but google says

e: literally just had to google how close rochester was from boston, what am i doing with my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN5VTb3ShVs

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

this is quite unfunny. no wonder goons loves him

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Blinkz0rz posted:

i lol real hard whenever anyone goes "but boston"

aside from our lovely history wrt to race (which literally every other city in the us had/still has) and skyrocketing housing prices boston is easily one of the best cities in the country to work at a tech company. we have a (semi-)functioning transit system, good infrastructure, great culture, some of the best hospitals in the world, the best schools in the country, and some of the most progressive politics in the us.

housing prices do suck pretty bad. i make 6 figgies and won't be able to afford a house for a few more years even with a pretty solid savings account.

also winters are cold and snowy and summers are hot and humid but lol if you can't hack a little bad weather just lol

downside: full of bostonians

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this is quite unfunny. no wonder goons loves him

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What a funny rear end way to say vagina and retarded, haha

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
lol if you interact with anyone that has a boston accent other than your landlord or the construction workers outside your office

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol if you interact with anyone that has a boston accent other than your landlord or the construction workers outside your office

Boston has multiple accents

E.g. Boastun vs Baahstin

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

i lol real hard whenever anyone goes "but boston"

aside from our lovely history wrt to race (which literally every other city in the us had/still has) and skyrocketing housing prices boston is easily one of the best cities in the country to work at a tech company. we have a (semi-)functioning transit system, good infrastructure

lived there 2003-2010

the transit is poo poo and the roads are worse. biking there sucks because nothing has alternate routes so you're stuck constantly taking jammed thoroughfares that are full of angry massholes

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Are there any women in Boston that don't have blood on their knuckles?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

amazon recruiter who ghosted me a couple months back emailed to say he's called a few times, which is an obvious lie, and that he wants to re-engage.

i will, mind you, but it's a bit awkward now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Diva Cupcake posted:

amazon recruiter who ghosted me a couple months back emailed to say he's called a few times, which is an obvious lie, and that he wants to re-engage.

i will, mind you, but it's a bit awkward now.
"my first choice candidate left for a better opportunity after just a month on the job. so, uh...how you doing?"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FMguru posted:

"my first choice candidate left for a better opportunity after just a month on the job. so, uh...how you doing?"

To be fair this sounds like everyone who takes a job at Amazon.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lol if you work at Amazon for anything other than a short term gig before you find a real company that knows what a work life balance is.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a subsidiary, sure, but not Amazon proper

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

alternatively "the hiring manager has been out of the country for the last two weeks. The delay due to this trip which has been on his calendar for the past 6 months was totally out of my control"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

you mean interact with the help?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

FMguru posted:

I wonder if theres a book or something of polite deflections when this happens. One company that went silent on me for a week after the interview (they said they'd let me know in a day or two) eventually called and said they had my named mixed up. Its possible because I go by my middle name, but more likely it was because they made an offer to someone that either took their time declining or bailed. I already had another job by then so it didn't matter

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

FMguru posted:

i'm sure this is it and i'm ok with it. i wasn't even actively interviewing until they reached out so nothing lost except dignity. lol at having dignity anyways.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol if you interact with anyone that has a boston accent

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FMguru posted:

lol if every time you've had sex you've never been anything but a girl's "you'll do" choice

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i had a job offer where my future manager left me a voice mail asking me if i was going to reply to the emailed job offer and he figured out, in the course of the voicemail that he had sent the offer to the wrong email address

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

anyone can be a sysadmin:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/6ueuie/ive_administered_windows_environments_for_almost/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wow a windows system admin that doesn't know how to use gpos

first comment posted:

I'm embarrassed to say the .\ for logging in to local accounts. I'd always just typed the full hostname\username. I learned this about 6 months ago. I'm still not as experienced as a lot of people here though. Still learning :)

....i was apparently a windows sysadmin that didn't know how to log into PCs properly. welp

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I had a coworker in my previous job who asked me how to write a for loop... A year after she had been working there.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

good on her for being an apostle of recursion

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
no wonder her workload always seemed to keep stacking up

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Progressive JPEG posted:

lived there 2003-2010

the transit is poo poo and the roads are worse. biking there sucks because nothing has alternate routes so you're stuck constantly taking jammed thoroughfares that are full of angry massholes

~~~home~~~

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ThePeavstenator posted:

no wonder her workload always seemed to keep stacking up

dang

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

FMguru posted:

my current job straight up told me their first choice rejected the offer

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

huhu posted:

I had a coworker in my previous job who asked me how to write a for loop... A year after she had been working there.

?????????????? how is this possible

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

PokeJoe posted:

?????????????? how is this possible

the real horror is the incompetence of the managers who hadn't fired her yet

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

qhat posted:

the real horror is the incompetence of the managers who hadn't fired her yet

She got fired like two months after I started.

My guess is that she did purely CSS the entire time she was there and they tried to give her a bit more responsibility with a small php plugin and she couldn't make it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

huhu posted:

She got fired like two months after I started.

My guess is that she did purely CSS the entire time she was there and they tried to give her a bit more responsibility with a small php plugin and she couldn't make it.

Rofl. Pure CSS developer. Good riddance.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
I broke a company sales record two weeks into the four week training pipeline. In reaction The dish Network heads are flying into Madison from Denver. Please get me the gently caress out of here. Have car will leave tonight? Record was set four years ago a lot of people lost bets lol.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

havent heard a peep posted:

I broke a company sales record two weeks into the four week training pipeline. In reaction The dish Network heads are flying into Madison from Denver. Please get me the gently caress out of here. Have car will leave tonight? Record was set four years ago a lot of people lost bets lol.

breaking into someone's house and leaving a dvr there doesn't count as a sale

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

breaking into someone's house and leaving a dvr there doesn't count as a sale

We never met but please trust me. I didn't take advice and I haven't stopped studying the 250 page tome since I set the record. This is my jumping point right? Latest text from my trainer said wear a funeral suit because the Japanese overlords are also coming in. I already prepared reyka vodka gifts for them out of pocket. Lol when their top sales knows how to greet them akin to Coco's Curry.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

How did mit money describe it? Dong out, full belly, looking to wife swap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

source you're quotes

• Locked thread