Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Step one in prepping for Easter: smoke lamb shoulder.

More to follow in the following days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Black Sunshine posted:

You live in the very beating heart of Silicon valley or Manhattan or something right? Jesus Christ

Pricey SF/Silicon Valley suburbs. Coffee was so bad we walked to Starbucks after so my wife (My Wife!) could get some coffee, I was able to choke down the bad coffee because I have low standards, chicken fried steak was fine but smaller than most diners give, spicy chicken and waffles was ok except I figured it would be spicy batter like Popeyes or something when it was more like glazed with hot sauce. Probably would not go again, felt $40 more than necessary. 2/5*

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 30, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I cooked rabbit for Easter one year
It was delicious, but the recipe involved like three cups of sour cream.

I know the book has been updated since then but no idea if the recipe has, it was a mid 90s edition of Joy of Cooking.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Rabbit tastes nice but I don't like the ratio of meat/bone.

Frog is kind of the same in that regard.

I've never had to clean/process turtle (bought frozen meat when I was in FL) but that is some :discourse: reptile/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It took like 100 years for Galapagos turtles to get an official scientific name because they were so loving tasty sailors kept eating all of them before they could bring one back to London.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
:)

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Posted this in the LEGO thread but knockoffs rule some times

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dango Bango posted:

Insurance rates are going up regardless of your own good driving because people in general SUCK at driving. Accidents are more frequent. Vehicles are all bigger because of all the SUVs, trucks, etc. versus cars meaning accidents are more severe. Vehicles are more costly to replace because of all the tech in them. And on top of all that, juries are awarding larger and larger amounts in suits. Auto insurance in a way is subsidizing health insurance.

Basically - it all sucks.

Well, that, and the fact that they're just greedy assholes that use all of the above as an excuse to extract as much wealth out of the working class as possible. Because, you know, "greed is good" and all that.

As a State Farm customer, let me just say: gently caress State Farm, lol

https://newsroom.statefarm.com/2023-financial-results/

quote:

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company reported a $3.5 billion increase in net worth and remains financially strong. The State Farm life insurance companies reported over $725 million in dividends to policyholders and issued a record $118 billion in new policy volume bringing the year-end 2023 individual life insurance in force to $1.1 trillion

Something tells me that fewer accidents and vehicle repairs, wouldn't decrease the annual increase in my premiums. It would just go into a higher dividend payout...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 30, 2024

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Surprised this guy wasn't in the Navy, what with nominative determinism and all

LeeMajors posted:

:lol: GEICO 2.5x my rate after I hit road debris in October. I’ve got a single minor at fault accident that was “forgiven” and this one. No tickets ever.

So I went to Progressive and they quoted me much lower rates so I put in the two accidents, and I guess they put that as an at-fault accident in CLUE? Even though it was an inanimate object that was unavoidable and it would’ve been 10x worse if I’d hit one of the other cars avoiding it?

The rates are still half what I was due to pay at GEICO but now I’m scared progressive is just going to come back and jack the rates even though I’m paid in full. Ugh. gently caress insurance companies.

For future reference, you never tell the insurance company you hit road debris, you always tell them you hit something that fell off a truck in front of you and the truck didn't stop. One claim won't raise your rates, one will.

If you want to lower your rate with Geico now (assuming you already did the get married hack), add some cars to your plan. My rate went down $200/year when I bought a Miata (4th car on the plan) despite upping my coverage on the rest of the fleet. Insurance of all types is 100% a gigantic scam, but whaddaya gonna do.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Rabbit tastes nice but I don't like the ratio of meat/bone.

Frog is kind of the same in that regard.

I've never had to clean/process turtle (bought frozen meat when I was in FL) but that is some :discourse: reptile/

One of my favorite teachers (anthropology) in college was a hardcore Cajun dude who was in his early 30's and only had senior students so had a great rapport without being a creepy old pervert - he used to throw really fun class-hour dinner parties for the 300-400 students where he'd show film of various weirdass Louisiana bayou traditions (the variants of Mardi Gras celebrations mostly, riding around on horses in rather questionable masks and hoods - but were all very anti-racist and integrated when you saw the individuals in action), and we'd drink Loosyana native beers and tipple and eat whatever insane gumbos his elderly mother made which would have no fewer than 2 of the following: Alligator/Squirrel/Turtle/Possum/Frog/Crayfish/Rabbit/Snails and it was definitely a fun authentic experience to see what goes on in the Deep Souf while staying put at a small college in Illinois.

I last had frog legs last year (it had probably been 20 years), and they're interesting but are basically chicken wings with more grease and less meat, and far more delicate bones to pick around so more effort than they were worth IMHO.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

If you want to lower your rate with Geico now (assuming you already did the get married hack), add some cars to your plan. My rate went down $200/year when I bought a Miata (4th car on the plan).

/whistle…4 cars and a WSJ account, you’re living the life

Next time you’re up mountain you’re buying dinner and drinks

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

a sexual elk posted:

/whistle…4 cars and a WSJ account, you’re living the life

Next time you’re up mountain you’re buying dinner and drinks

The average age of my cars is 28 years old! But I'll get the steaks as long as kiimo gets the drinks.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

The average age of my cars is 28 years old! But I'll get the steaks as long as kiimo gets the drinks.

I’ve owned a 66 bug and a 00 Sierra in 21 years so I’ve averaged about 10 quarts of oil a year in that span.

Guess my average is 40 in fleet age

Loser

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My fleet has exactly 420,000 miles (and a little change) between them. And the Miata is at 69k.

Hey I hope you're ready to shovel again because it's going to snow again tonight/this weekend. :toot:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Dunno what steak places are up here, Boneyard? There’s that Captains Anchorage place but it just screams Sysco microwave joint. I’m also a poor, so even when I’ve been to fancy places with someone else buying I order the cheapest thing on the menu, the guilt of ordering a $25 chicken sandwich haha. Only time I’ve ever ordered a steak was a ribeye at Black Angus, it was my first paycheck from the ports as a celebration

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

My fleet has exactly 420,000 miles (and a little change) between them. And the Miata is at 69k.

Hey I hope you're ready to shovel again because it's going to snow again tonight/this weekend. :toot:

Cars at the end of the driveway with the wipers up…I just wanna do yardwork and spend rest of my birthday money on seeds

Stealing rocks to carve out a section of the driveway and gonna seed some California Poppy

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 30, 2024

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What’s my life become that I’m triggered yall are eating rabbits god just kill me

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

a sexual elk posted:

Dunno what steak places are up here, Boneyard? There’s that Captains Anchorage place but it just screams Sysco microwave joint. I’m also a poor, so even when I’ve been to fancy places with someone else buying I order the cheapest thing on the menu, the guilt of ordering a $25 chicken sandwich haha. Only time I’ve ever ordered a steak was a ribeye at Black Angus, it was my first paycheck from the ports as a celebration

What you need to do is come down and we'll hit Musso & Frank. Start with 2 or 3 jameo whiskey sours, keep 'em coming, then a big fat ribeye (their specialty), rare plus. Gotta get the creamed spinach, the sauteed mushrooms, and a couple orders of the au gratin potatoes. Then for a post-prandial, perhaps a Remy VSOP, and finish it with a big fat joint at the Roosevelt Tropicana bar or maybe if you want more action, outside the Frolic Room.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

What’s my life become that I’m triggered yall are eating rabbits god just kill me

I had a friend in middle school, his dad was 60, his mom (gonna be gentle here) was retarded (I’d see her around town just staring at things…..for hours). Their entire backyard was just rabbit pens. They had spray painted signs for rabbit meat and pelts in their yard for years. Mind you this is a well off suburb of Los Angeles

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 30, 2024

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

What you need to do is come down and we'll hit Musso & Frank. Start with 2 or 3 jameo whiskey sours, keep 'em coming, then a big fat ribeye (their specialty), rare plus. Gotta get the creamed spinach, the sauteed mushrooms, and a couple orders of the au gratin potatoes. Then for a post-prandial, perhaps a Remy VSOP, and finish it with a big fat joint at the Roosevelt Tropicana bar or maybe if you want more action, outside the Frolic Room.

I know a few of those words

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Other lovely thing is I’m a decently sized dude at 5’11” 230, I can’t eat a lot. Like a burger no sides I’m uncomfortable for a few hours. It’s prolly food allergies. Had half a Jersey Mikes regular yesterday at like 10:30 am, didn’t eat again til 5 (when I smoked and inhaled the other half along with a sleeve of Oreos).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Are rabbits intrinsically worse to eat than a pig or cow or chicken?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

Air Skwirl posted:

They're a delicious source of lean protein.

You shoot em in the head with a .22 from about 50m away. You cut em round the middle with a knife and peel the skin off nice n ez. Then you cut them at the neck and around their rear end in a top hat and rip all the guts out, chop em into qtrs and then simmer in beef stock, onions and a can of Guinness and eat them with taters cooked in the fat of whatever dead animal you got in the fridge.

You eat like a king and it costs you an hour of patience lying in the sun and about 10 bucks worth of beers you drink the other 5 of while its simmering all ay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I buy rabbit from a store, already skinned and cleaned..

I mean, I don't actually do that. I did it once because I thought it was funny to eat rabbit on Easter and it ended up being pretty tasty. I'd do it again. I don't have a problem with hunting, I've just never done it and I'd hate to shoot something badly so it suffers, and I'm 40 now, if I'm going to learn a new hobby it'll be like chess or a foreign language.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Rabbits are basically vermin and proliferate wildly by accident, they're a perfect eco-friendly source of tons of lean protein if you can't get ground turkey.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
22 hours into my bout of food poisoning in Hanoi: would not recommend

not sure what caused it (haven't been drinking the water) but possibly blood sausage since that's the only thing I ate that my buddy didn't

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

When I bought my car the dealer (owned by the OEM’s importer) had a deal with one of the insurance companies, and if you think searching for that is bad in a native language…I just signed up for a deal that improves the cost over the course of a three-year contract. Not sure I’m going to switch off that to the company I have life insurance/savings for the baby at or not. Would have to check rates with our agent.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

not sure what caused it (haven't been drinking the water) but possibly blood sausage since that's the only thing I ate that my buddy didn't

Ooof, I had that on my business trip to India (didn’t drink water, did eat fruits at the hotel breakfast :doh: ). Had to fly home in such a state as well, that was a fun one. Hope it passes quickly.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Tune in next week when tff discovers that *checks notes* cancer is NOT cool

gently caress cancer, that’s not even worth joking about.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ether Frenzy posted:

For future reference, you never tell the insurance company you hit road debris, you always tell them you hit something that fell off a truck in front of you and the truck didn't stop. One claim won't raise your rates, one will.

In my defense a) I haven’t had to interact with insurance enough to know how exactly to word things to improve my case and b) I did tell them it fell off a truck because it did, but also that I didn’t see which truck and no one stopped and they still put me at fault. It was unavoidable. But that apparently means avoidable.

And by all accounts there’s no recourse.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That sucks. At least you didn't tell them you didn't deserve coverage because you didn't put enough care and effort when sending your premiums in this year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anatomy of a fall loving slapped

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Usually when I go to Thailand I'll hit a 24-36 hour rough patch early on as my gut adjusts to the local bacterial strains, could be that if you've only just arrived. Then again, last time we were there my wife and I both got real bad food poisoning from something we ate at a night market :negative: The kid dodged it, at least.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh nooooooo. The pharmacies have all the medicines you could need for that, including lots of stuff you can’t get in the states. I had to do the same thing while I was over there. It’s not hard to get ondansetron or loperamide.

Where are you staying? We were at Sinfonia which was incredible. If your rear end calms down, we had a great meal at Duong Dining. We loved it so much we took the cooking class the next day which ibcuded a trip to the market to pick out ingredients and everything. We were with this young German couple who were cool and the whole morning turned into a drunken walk around Hanoi.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293924-d17627264-Reviews-Duong_Dining-Hanoi.html

Also you can go to the sports bar where I was assaulted by a drunk American while pissing in the bathroom during the superbowl.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Food poisoning on vacation sounds like the worst thing ever and having it on a plane sounds doubly worse. Just park me in the bathroom the whole way.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Food poisoning on vacation sounds like the worst thing ever and having it on a plane sounds doubly worse. Just park me in the bathroom the whole way.

I posted this here but I had it so bad my last day in Bangkok (loving Jay Fe!) I thought I was gonna miss my flight. We were flying out at 10p and had planned to spend the last day buying souvenirs. I was crying it was so bad. I begged the hotel to push back our check out time just so I could try to get things calmed down.

My girlfriend left me at a nearby mall while she went and got things. I spent the entire afternoon under a blanket in Antman, shivering and and trying to keep my insides in.

The flight home was horrible.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Never use Geico ever, they suck rear end

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Air Skwirl posted:

I don’t eat pork for the same reason. I’m a massive hypocrite with chicken tho.

Slowly giving up all meat.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nodoze posted:

Never use Geico ever, they suck rear end

I keep hearing this but they were fine for the 20+yrs I’ve had them until they decided to gouge me. My rates were pretty damned good honestly, as long as they were confident they’d never have to fulfill a claim lol

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Meanwhile…

Step 2: sous vide lamb shoulder I smoked yesterday at 135°F for 24 hours. Started around 8 this morning so this will be done on Easter.

I'm so looking forward to ending my vegan Lenten diet cycle.

In the interim I'm doing laundry & watching The Last Voyage of the Demeter before I mow my lawn later today.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dump his rear end

https://x.com/dmtrubman/status/1773838033843855756?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Air Skwirl posted:

If rabbit was your only meat or protein source you'd die from malnutrition. The meat is so lean it's lacking some essential nutrients.

Insurance talk: I was with State Farm for around 12 years give or take, for both car and renting my apartment. A few years back I found out that Geico gave a discount for being a brother in my fraternity, so I switched (just auto) and saved over 50%. Literally from $122/mo to $59/mo. After a year or two at that rate, it started going up $1/mo each year, no big deal, until one renewal it went from $62/mo to $78/mo. I posted about this on FB and a girl I knew from college messaged me, this is Oct 2022:

quote:

I work there and wanna let you know that you can probably get a better rate with Progressive. GEICO is having a rough time right now. Laying ppl off like crazy, terrible consecutive quarters 2021 Q4 and 2022 Q1. If you only had that much of a raise you’re lucky. GEICO probably won’t be giving you a break on your premiums anytime soon. Please don’t tell anyone I mentioned this. I don’t want to get cut next.