Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah, I was referring to SoE. I don't like 5P because it - by necessity - leads to a strong disproportion between the two alliances. As mentioned before, this dynamic works way better at seven, as it adds the same interesting asymmetry, but the extra player advantage is diluted enough for the players to counteract it (e.g. an alliance of 3 strong countries can have a relatively fair game against 4 bottom feeders). With 5 I feel the extra player is to big of an advantage, it's like playing 2v1 in any other game.

Seven players is in fact extremely dank, if you can stomach such a crowd for a heavier game.

My only problem with SoE is the trackable hidden unrest- i'd just get a bunch of black cubes and have it open. Otherwise, it's light and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
poo poo, that's one game where I'd keep the hidden info just for the dread and hilarity of a galaxy trucker-esque quality of the final scoring.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Trajan is just one step removed from republic of Rome

That one step being what Neil Armstrong was referencing going from earth to the moon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PlaneGuy posted:

so a game by stefan feld?

Bingo. Never played a game from him I would want to play again.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Baseball Highlights 2045 is cool as hell with very light but humorous deckbuilding elements.

Such a great and underappreciated game. Definitely the best sports themed game I've played (though Flamme Rouge is really great) but I guess there's not a ton of baseball and board game fan overlap.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

That one step being what Neil Armstrong was referencing going from earth to the moon.

The little pieces moving around in Trajan are the people looking for their leaders to address their concerns. Obviously the player is a higher ranking person of importance who has influence over senators and generals. The tokens you get over the course of the game via petitioning Trajan are just like proposals. I will agree that it's not exact, since it doesn't have a Troyes-like portion of driving away external threats, but that's part of that one step.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Such a great and underappreciated game. Definitely the best sports themed game I've played (though Flamme Rouge is really great) but I guess there's not a ton of baseball and board game fan overlap.

Or the overlap that exists is served by stratomatic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I would play the hell out of that. How is the digital version vs Baseball Manager?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ticket to Ride: New York looks pretty dope. Much smaller and faster game fixes the only issue I have with TTR, which is a great entry game but goes too long generally.

Target exclusive in US
$20
2-4 players
15-20 minute games

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Ticket to Ride: New York looks pretty dope. Much smaller and faster game fixes the only issue I have with TTR, which is a great entry game but goes too long generally.

Target exclusive in US
$20
2-4 players
15-20 minute games

This actually looks pretty dope and I'd pick it up at that price.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Bottom Liner posted:

15-20 minute games

That's not per-player?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

My wife loves TTR: Nordic, but I have a hard time playing it because 40 minutes of TTR is extremely plenty for me. This does look pretty rad!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anniversary posted:

That's not per-player?

Nope, and judging by the short routes and small map I'd say that's perfectly doable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It looks like you might be able to have it as a travel version of TTR. That would be awesome.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Wow. I'd actually like to get that.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Apparently half the people on the box art for this TtR:NY are just traces of photos/video stills. Lol at the 'business' guy actually being Don Draper.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1993553/why-fonz

Jejoma fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 15, 2018

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jejoma posted:

Apparently half the people on the box art for this TtR:NY are just traces of photos/video stills. Lol at the 'business' guy actually being Don Draper.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1993553/why-fonz

Didn't know Days of Wonder hired Jakub...

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
We've been playing a lot of Aeon's End and War Eternal and have been really enjoying it, and then just last night due to one particular card I realised that I had completely and totally misread one of the rules about Nemesis cards that means we've been playing fundamentally wrong for about 20+ games. One of the War Eternal Nemeses has a Power card that effectively reads 'Power 9: You lose the game'. This was the first time we discovered that on Power cards, you only resolve the effect when you remove the last token, not every time you remove a token. Somehow we had managed to beat every boss from the base game + War Eternal (except one) playing like this. :psyduck:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Didn't know Days of Wonder hired Jakub...

Haha Jesus we’ve come full circle in less than a week

Played goon games of VotK: Afterlife, BattleCon, and Tiny Epic Galaxies tonight with Daunte Vicknabb and had a good time. The recommended intro matchup for BattleCon was really tight and felt like a perfectly balanced way to teach so thanks for that. Hopefully playing some bigger games with a new game night group we’re starting Thursday.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Any Midwest goons hitting Geekway this weekend?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kerro posted:

We've been playing a lot of Aeon's End and War Eternal and have been really enjoying it, and then just last night due to one particular card I realised that I had completely and totally misread one of the rules about Nemesis cards that means we've been playing fundamentally wrong for about 20+ games. One of the War Eternal Nemeses has a Power card that effectively reads 'Power 9: You lose the game'. This was the first time we discovered that on Power cards, you only resolve the effect when you remove the last token, not every time you remove a token. Somehow we had managed to beat every boss from the base game + War Eternal (except one) playing like this. :psyduck:

You have been winning the game in spite of that rules error? My win rate is less than 10% at 4 players even after I ironed out all the rule errors my group made. Game is hard. I'm interested to hear your strategies.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I think the thread has talked about this before but I was curious about people's impression of War for the Ring. It looks interesting but a couple of reviews I've read appear to make it seem that it is too long for what it is and that the whole hobbit side-board appears random resulting in unsatisfying conclusions.

VVV Since I just got CT I'll consider that the answer I'm looking for!

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 16, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

War of the ring and Star Wars rebellion are both very long for what they are. It used to not matter because those were solid experiences but now that Colonial Twilight has been released, if you want an asymmetric 2P game, why wouldn’t you just play that?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FulsomFrank posted:

I think the thread has talked about this before but I was curious about people's impression of War for the Ring. It looks interesting but a couple of reviews I've read appear to make it seem that it is too long for what it is and that the whole hobbit side-board appears random resulting in unsatisfying conclusions.

War of the Ring is amazing at generating an epic experience with battles that really feel like Lord of the Rings last stands. There is also a lot of dice rolling and luck involved, and some “gamey” strategies can emerge. So there’s a chance that the cool experience gets marred a bit by those things happening. The game is long, lasting 2-4 hours depending on your players and game experience. That is also a very long time for a two player game. There is no Hobbit sideboard; the game is basically a single map of middle earth with both players moving armies around it and the free peoples player moving the fellowship down a track and sometimes using that track to determine where on the board the fellowship is (which can be used to harass the fellowship with nazgul or enemy armies, separate companions to go help elsewhere, or choose places to rest by choice or places to be when the fellowship is temporarily discovered. It’s a fun part of the game that integrates well into the main map, acting as a side thing to the moving of armies and battles until suddenly there is a big impact as suddenly strider shows up in Gondor to be crowned as Aragorn and lead a last stand battle against the hordes of Mordor. If you have a knowledge of the characters and story (even if just from the movies), the game will be much more fun, as many of the cards reflect events from the movies. It was my first ever designer board game and I have a soft spot for it, but I think it’s worth playing for anyone who likes LOTR and complex board games.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

War of the ring and Star Wars rebellion are both very long for what they are. It used to not matter because those were solid experiences but now that Colonial Twilight has been released, if you want an asymmetric 2P game, why wouldn’t you just play that?

It's crazy that Colonial Twilight only has a bot for one faction. It could have been the ideal short-session, single-player COIN. They keep expanding and improving the bots for all the others, so I can't understand why it didn't matter for CT.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I got Carcassonne. If I were to buy just one expansion, which should it be?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So Very Wrong About Games (quickly becoming my favorite tabletop podcast) described Altiplano as ideal for people who thought Orleans was too complicated and had too much player interaction. Ouch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So Very Wrong About Games (quickly becoming my favorite tabletop podcast) described Altiplano as ideal for people who thought Orleans was too complicated and had too much player interaction. Ouch.

Pretty accurate on the second count, not so much on the first. Altiplano has no player interaction at all apart from buying the extension/ship/house they wanted or exhausting the common stock, but the strategies for getting rolling aren't as obvious.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

a7m2 posted:

Traders and Builders.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

a7m2 posted:

Try to buy two: Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders. Ignore all other expansions.

If you had to buy one, I would say Inns and Cathedrals. It gives some risk/reward on cities and roads and adds interesting pieces without too much additional mechanics overhead.

Traders and builders adds additional mechanics which are pretty interesting, but I think they really shine when you have a lot more tiles from owning both.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jordan7hm posted:

I've heard so much about stratomatic. Is it accessible if you're from a non-baseballian nation?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

Traders and Builders.

Fellis posted:

Try to buy two: Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders. Ignore all other expansions.

If you had to buy one, I would say Inns and Cathedrals. It gives some risk/reward on cities and roads and adds interesting pieces without too much additional mechanics overhead.

Traders and builders adds additional mechanics which are pretty interesting, but I think they really shine when you have a lot more tiles from owning both.

Appreciate the answers! Now I just need a tie-breaker. I'll probably get both eventually, but for now I just want one.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Inns and Cathedrals feels just a tad too feast-or-famine for me. Sure, getting your builder locked in can suck too, but not quite as hard. I'd go Traders.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Boxman posted:

I thought about it, but decided if I were going to dedicate a weekend to gaming I'd rather play my own neglected games at home. I know a few of my friends are, though.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Dancer posted:

Inns and Cathedrals feels just a tad too feast-or-famine for me. Sure, getting your builder locked in can suck too, but not quite as hard. I'd go Traders.

Thanks, friend.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Boxman posted:

I've been the last two years and really like it -- I'm more "Mid South" than midwest, but it's a close drive and a good con. Going to HeavyCon instead this year (first time).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nonathlon posted:

I've heard so much about stratomatic. Is it accessible if you're from a non-baseballian nation?

I’ve honestly never played it.

However I bought stratomatic hockey and am hoping to give this one a shot at some point.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

I’ve honestly never played it.

However I bought stratomatic hockey and am hoping to give this one a shot at some point.

I grew up on Strat-o-matic baseball and football, but I have no idea how the system could work with a free-flowing game like basketball or hockey.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Kerro posted:

Aeon's End
...on Power cards, you only resolve the effect when you remove the last token, not every time you remove a token.

Holy poo poo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of cons, anyone doing Dice Tower Con? I know I know, ughhhh, but it is only 15 minutes from my house so I’ll come play goon games if anyone is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

SettingSun posted:

You have been winning the game in spite of that rules error? My win rate is less than 10% at 4 players even after I ironed out all the rule errors my group made. Game is hard. I'm interested to hear your strategies.

I have the same experience as you. The game is pretty difficult. I'm guessing there may be more rules errors being committed.