Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Platystemon posted:

That’s still better than giving POTUS unilateral authority to launch a nuclear first strike.

Giving anyone with physical access to a bomb the unilateral authority to launch a nuclear first strike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Warbadger posted:

Giving anyone with physical access to a bomb the unilateral authority to launch a nuclear first strike?

Yes.

Pull a person off the street and odds are excellent that they have better mental stability than POTUS.

More importantly, they have only one bomb at hand and no delivery mechanism. They can’t pick up a telephone and end human civilisation.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Some large fraction of people with access to nuked are sitting in big 'ol tubes that contain dozens of delivery mechanisms.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Boomers are indeed pretty bad.

At least the subs are theoretically subject to the two‐man rule.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Not in the united "well we just shan't give lunatics charge of a submarine, do we then?" kingdom

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Not in the united "well we just shan't give lunatics charge of a submarine, do we then?" kingdom

Officers of the Royal Navy are gentlemen and a gentleman would never launch an unprovoked nuclear first strike.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Lobster God posted:

Officers of the Royal Navy are gentlemen and a gentleman would never launch an unprovoked nuclear first strike.

I know a Royal Navy officer, and if I ever thought he'd have access to the the bomb codes I'd be very angry, just on principle. I don't want that man having the key to 100 megatons. No, not key, bike lock.

A bike lock I've personally picked. Oh jesus gently caress.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 5, 2019

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

IPCRESS posted:

De-fanged it for this airshow, I see.

Don't want to have another accident with the spectators.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP0GI5DdOfs

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

Don't want to have another accident with the spectators.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP0GI5DdOfs

I'm not sure if "seeker guides missile into berm next to civilians watching your flyover" is going to get you a promotion or fired.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh drat I'd never seen the HUD angle.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Godholio posted:

Oh drat I'd never seen the HUD angle.

I'm still waiting on the HUD footage from that MiG-31 friendly fire shootdown to eventually leak out.

^ Also notable that while president meltybrains needs to authorize a nuclear strike he isn't actually able to unilaterally launch one. Dude at a launch platform with a live warhead on top of his missile can.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 6, 2019

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Do you think one of those ghetto cruise missiles we were talking about could be used to burn down the Gavle goat? Asking for a friend

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mortabis posted:

Do you think one of those ghetto cruise missiles we were talking about could be used to burn down the Gavle goat? Asking for a friend

Sweden is not Saudi Arabia; I think whoever launched the missiles would be Gripen about them getting intercepted later.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Sweden is not Saudi Arabia; I think whoever launched the missiles would be Gripen about them getting intercepted later.

Yeah, that would be grabbing the Drakken by it's tail.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

madeintaipei posted:

Yeah, that would be grabbing the Drakken by it's tail.

Mission planners be Saabing

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mortabis posted:

Just put some road flares on a quad copter lol.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm curious for this thread's take on Swedish neutrality and whether it would hold up or even apply if Russia tried to pull the Donbas routine in Norway or Finland.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Kesper North posted:

I'm curious for this thread's take on Swedish neutrality and whether it would hold up or even apply if Russia tried to pull the Donbas routine in Norway or Finland.

I've got a bunch of really close Finnish friends, it wouldn't end well for Putin, if Putin decided to pull a thing on them, they're very slightly hardcore.

They can't pull that off, the amount of ordinance we'd drop on their ships, planes, troops would be insane. Russia isn't invading Finland.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kesper North posted:

Sweden and Finland are both in the EU. Article 42.7 states that “If a Member State is the victim of armed aggression on its territory, the other Member States shall have towards it an obligation of aid and assistance by all the means in their power, in accordance with article 51 of the United Nations charter”.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mortabis posted:

Well, if it hasn’t been tried yet, it will. It is kinda of a national sport in Gävle.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cat Mattress posted:

Sweden and Finland are both in the EU. Article 42.7 states that “If a Member State is the victim of armed aggression on its territory, the other Member States shall have towards it an obligation of aid and assistance by all the means in their power, in accordance with article 51 of the United Nations charter”.

The Luftwaffe could help out every third Tuesday between the hours of 11:30am and 4:15pm. . . although I'm unsure how effective free-fall broomsticks are against armour.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Def did a little chuckle at that "all the means in their power"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Well, if it hasn’t been tried yet, it will. It is kinda of a national sport in Gävle.
There's usually a wire mesh cage around it to prevent these kinds of shenanigans.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

aphid_licker posted:

NATO article 5 is similarly vague: "such action as it deems necessary".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

aphid_licker posted:

So a platoon of dudes with those melted H&K rifles and no ammo with air support from the EU's Eurofighter?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So a platoon of dudes with those melted H&K rifles and no ammo with air support from the EU's Eurofighter?

We literally sent 100% of everything we had, full commitment. Absolutely beautiful show of solidarity.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Sounds like Turkey could invade Syria at any moment. I'm sure that is going to go GREAT.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's going to go better this time. Last month Trump talked the SDF into removing their border defenses. It was in exchange for security guarantees. :sigh:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

It's going to go better this time. Last month Trump talked the SDF into removing their border defenses. It was in exchange for security guarantees. :sigh:
Upholding a great tradition started by bush.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Alaan posted:

Sounds like Turkey could invade Syria at any moment. I'm sure that is going to go GREAT.

What, really?

They are going to claim all of Kurdistan?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

What, really?

They are going to claim all of Kurdistan?

https://mobile.twitter.com/MSNBC/st...ingawful.com%2F

Turkey considers the Kurdish organizations running the area terrorists so yeah.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Kurds getting kicked around again, way to show how reliable US is as an ally when you are no longer of value to them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yay, genocide. :toot:

We fund the Mujahideen, then cut off support, they eventually pull off 9/11.

We help the anti-Saddam forces (briefly) during Desert Storm, then cut off support, they eventually roll into AQ, ISIS, and any other organization that wants American blood on their breakfast cereal.

We help the Kurds, encourage them to put themselves between us and ISIS bullets since PFC. Joe Average doesn't want to get his head cut off in an ISIS Greatest Decapitations video, pat them on the head and string them along over granting them a state of their own, then cut off support, letting them be slaughtered by a new autocrat who's itching to be the new Qaddafi.

GEE, I WONDER WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN *THIS* TIME??? :smith:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

GEE, I WONDER WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN *THIS* TIME??? :smith:

Really I wouldn't rule out "Turkey gets its teeth kicked in".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Captain von Trapp posted:

And I wouldn't rule out "Turkey asks its new 'friend' to come in and help them kill Kurds." -_-

Russia might not be good at a lot, but their mercenaries and high-level indiscriminate bombing certainly gets the job done if the job is "making a lot of people not be alive anymore."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Very much hope you're right.

But we've also probably created yet another anti-US force in the middle east.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

gotta have a casus belli for the next forever war

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

I would.

The Kurds, and the SDF, have achieved a lot in the last few years of the Syrian civil war. A lot of what they accomplished was with the support of embedded international SF, as well as (critically) a lot of US air support.

As soon as Turkey made noise about taking Afrin at the start of Operation Olive Branch, and the US withdrew support for that area... The Kurds caved. They were steamrolled. They're brilliant fighters but the writing was on the wall as soon as Trump et. al decided to remove support for the region a few days ago - Turkey will enjoy a permissive airspace, and the Kurds will be facing what Daesh faced when the Kurds enjoyed said permissive airspace.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Good god what the gently caress is going on?

https://twitter.com/QuakerNana/status/1181209820956942337

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

gently caress me this is depressing.