Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
The Pokemon Go game gave me a horrible idea of a game where you point the camera at parked cars and the app extrapolates the image into a transforming robot. It's completely infeasible, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the armada ps2 transformers game was great, the minicon collecting aspect gave it almost a like diablo-style loot aspect.

i finally got my ebay refund from that scam, i think i am gonna stick to reputable stores like showz for my imports from now on.

kind of bummed out i missed out on fans toys cyclonus again, ive been wanting something more colourful for my shelves but it seems like basically everything out atm is drab looking.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

that megatron mask reminds me, why do almost all third party megatrons have the worst fuckin faces? there's been a couple i've liked the look of overall, but it seems like outside of the MMC IDW megatron (MMC are great at faces in general), all 3p megatrons look hosed up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Marmaduke! posted:

I picked up five of the little G1 figurines in Poundland today, no Bumblebee on the shelves but I've managed to never get a Bumblebug since I was a kid so might as well keep that streak going. Definitely the best non-transforming Transformers I've ever bought!
I have to head to the local version and see if I can grab some of them. I heard they were in over the weekend.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

that megatron mask reminds me, why do almost all third party megatrons have the worst fuckin faces? there's been a couple i've liked the look of overall, but it seems like outside of the MMC IDW megatron (MMC are great at faces in general), all 3p megatrons look hosed up.

It's a hard face to get right in general - lots of subtle curves and hard edges, plus a weird helmet. It doesn't help that G1 Animation Model Megatron's got a pretty big head (closer to human proportion than, say, a lot of the Autobot Cars.) His face is designed with that in mind, but toys going for more aggressive Super Robot proportions, or that need the head to fit in tight spots for transformation, struggle to get it to look "right" when it's proportionately smaller.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It's also fun to remember what the "real" G1 Megatron head looks like. He's not like a Gears or Brawn, but they took a lot of liberties in making the animation model, and as such everyone's stuck working off drawings that may not translate well when converted to a 3D object. Same deal with Masterpiece Bumblebee #2's giant doofus head.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Still waiting on a3u to get Kup in but in the meantime I'm picking up Dinobot, Airrazor and the hamburger ceratops today

Ok, so Airrazor's pretty decent except for her bum just hanging out in midair in bird mode. It's a bit... hawkward? I think she probably could have used a bigger/longer tailfeather section, like her original toy. Some of her joints seem a tad delicate, too, which, ok, bird, but I hope she has longevity. On the bright side, she's the first birdformer I've met that can just fold up her wings and perch.

As an aside, she seems to be built a lot more like a hawk than a falcon this time, judging by the relatively stubby and broad tail and the rounded wingtips.

As for Dinobot, he's just fuckin great. Beast mode takes a little massaging, and his hips don't move in that mode - I guess I'm a little spoiled considering Kingdom Megatron had em - but otherwise really really good, and very characterful headsculpts in both modes.

But holy gosh, there's one particularly bold choice of a transformation step in there. When there's cons again I hope somebody shows Scott McNeill that ol' Chopperface literally has his head up his rear end.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

the armada ps2 transformers game was great, the minicon collecting aspect gave it almost a like diablo-style loot aspect.

This right here. Tried it again last year when I found out you could finally emulate it and it still holds up pretty well. The fight against Tidal Wave is really something.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Saw like a dozen Kingdom Rodimii at my local Big W today as part of their big toy sale. He's not really one I'm interested in cause while he looks good I don't really want a bigger Rod with a trailer/platform for that money when I have the SS86 HR, but he's very much about in Australia now

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

It's a hard face to get right in general - lots of subtle curves and hard edges, plus a weird helmet. It doesn't help that G1 Animation Model Megatron's got a pretty big head (closer to human proportion than, say, a lot of the Autobot Cars.) His face is designed with that in mind, but toys going for more aggressive Super Robot proportions, or that need the head to fit in tight spots for transformation, struggle to get it to look "right" when it's proportionately smaller.

that actually makes a lot of sense, i hadn't thought of it like that. it explains why so many megatron toys end up with weirdly screwed-up, crushed together looking faces. the official masterpiece megatron has maybe my favourite face on any toy

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Knormal posted:

It's also fun to remember what the "real" G1 Megatron head looks like. He's not like a Gears or Brawn, but they took a lot of liberties in making the animation model, and as such everyone's stuck working off drawings that may not translate well when converted to a 3D object. Same deal with Masterpiece Bumblebee #2's giant doofus head.

Wheeljack had something like that too - his iconic mouthplate is a visor on the toy.

I wonder how many of these are actual misinterpretations, and how many are conscious decisions to change the design.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

that actually makes a lot of sense, i hadn't thought of it like that. it explains why so many megatron toys end up with weirdly screwed-up, crushed together looking faces. the official masterpiece megatron has maybe my favourite face on any toy

MP-36 has an all-time headsculp and all the faces are perfect, I agree. His maniacal grin is one of very few non-neutral faces I display figures with.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I think I like the faces on Despotron a little better than MP-36, though I have both.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lodin posted:

This right here. Tried it again last year when I found out you could finally emulate it and it still holds up pretty well. The fight against Tidal Wave is really something.

That Tidal Wave part blew my mind.

Yes game is good.

Starscream was a pain in the rear end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stopped to check for MOTU, grabbed a Kingdom Rhinox. Will rip open and post thoughts later.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/tfw2005/status/1405888670956019712

wat.

Rhyno posted:

Stopped to check for MOTU, grabbed a Kingdom Rhinox. Will rip open and post thoughts later.

I really like the Kingdom stuff, but I've been really disappointed by everything that had T30 rep before.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
3 whole points of articulation? :aaa:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anora posted:

I really like the Kingdom stuff, but I've been really disappointed by everything that had T30 rep before.

T30 Rhinox was amazing and I will likely still keep him but Kingdom Rhinox looks amazing in bot mode so he'll go up to the new shelf.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That looks like an upscaled Robot Heroes figure

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's giving me big Pat Lee vibes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

T30 Rhinox was amazing and I will likely still keep him but Kingdom Rhinox looks amazing in bot mode so he'll go up to the new shelf.

I was planning on sticking with T30 Rhinox, and watching a transformation video confirmed that for me. I do like the Kingdom version's detailing on the bot mode chest.

Incidentally, I think it's brilliant the way Dinobot uses those thigh panels to simulate how the CG raptor head flattens out to become his chest, while still incorporating the actual raptor head. Even if it does leave him with weird-looking thighs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You just reminded me that my Dinobot is still sitting in my PoL at the chosen prime. Been waiting for something new to arrive to hit free shipping but I might just have to bite the bullet and pay for shipping.

Also canceled my Ark order. Just no real need to get it at release and I'd like to see some in hand impressions from trusted reviewers.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/STL_oz/status/1406214719812239363

I don't buy any 3P formers, but I would totally get this IDW Grimlock

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That guy is loving gorgeous.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I hate paying 3p prices but I am prepared to open my wallet very wide for that bastard

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Meanwhile, on the Hasbro side of things...

(They're Rescue Bots, if it wasn't obvious.)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Knormal posted:

I thought those were new PotP style prime master/pretender shells and got really excited for a second :negative:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Knormal posted:

Expect Sludge and Snarl to be along soon too so.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

Expect Sludge and Snarl to be along soon too so.
Yeah, the pics are out, I just didn't feel like copying the whole gang.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2021/06/19/transformers-dinobots-adventures-collection-revealed-435739

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It's so weird that they include all the gears and stuff to TF them, but most don't have any actual articulation.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

that idw style grimlock looks really nice. i am probably not gonna splash out on him cause i already have the gigapower grimlock, which comes with an idw-style head, which is a good enough compromise for me.

im kinda tempted by fans hobby nightbeat, cause he was a cool character in idw, and fans hobby always produce really fun toys to fiddle with.

newage are really tempting me with this straxus:

i have a major soft spot for the marvel uk comics cause i read them growing up. i really want an OSKO of this straxus so he can hang out with my MP decepticons.

i did just pay the invoice for a reissue of the generation toy idw stealth bomber megatron, which i must have preordered like 2 years ago and forgotten about, so i am pretty pumped for that. i also preordered the badcube insecticons reissue at some point, and those should be super fun to play around with. they're MP scale, but the insecticons are little lads so they will be nice and compact.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I swear I saw a photo of the upcoming Titan class Ark toy that had panels covering the big gaps on the side of the ship in altmode. Now I’m looking through all the promo shots and can’t see it anywhere. Tell me other people saw it too?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

I swear I saw a photo of the upcoming Titan class Ark toy that had panels covering the big gaps on the side of the ship in altmode. Now I’m looking through all the promo shots and can’t see it anywhere. Tell me other people saw it too?

There was definitely a comparison photo of a "misassembled" one next to one that was apparently properly assembled one, both in Ark mode that I remember seeing. It was from the back, though, and it was comparing the engines and back of the "wings."

But no, it doesn't look like there are any panels covering those exposed robo-thighs in Ark mode.

Annoying. Still getting it, but annoying.

https://tformers.com/transformers-kingdom-titan-class-ark-teletran-more-in-hand-images/41927/news.html

Shattered Glass Goldbug is up on Hasbro Pulse, he's definitely got the most complex paintjob of all the Cliffjumper retools. Lots of gold and a little sky blue paint. Looks nice.

FINAL EDIT: https://youtu.be/X3EnoJAS21s At about 15:40 or so it has the comparison pics I was referring to.

OKAY I LIED APPARENTLY HERE'S ANOTHER EDIT:

This person has an Ark. No leg flaps, Mainframe may be completely optional for transformation unless you want a bridge. More tiny bridge figures might be required.

https://youtu.be/GRLYVdTXG3k

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 22, 2021

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Next live action movie will be drawing from the Beast Wars era according to Paramount. No screenshots though

https://twitter.com/BWTF_Ben/status/1407406390465925134

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently still gonna be Autobots and Decepticons alongside Maximals and Predacons. Main Autobots Prime, Bumblebee, Mirage and Arcee (the latter 2 will be a Porsche 911 and Ducati 916- so probably more of a Transformers Prime style design for Arcee), main Maximals Primal, Airazor and Rhinox, set in '94, seems to maybe be continuing continuity from Bumblebee?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Is this being made by the Bumblebee team, or are we back on the Bayverse garbage express?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Silhouette posted:

Is this being made by the Bumblebee team, or are we back on the Bayverse garbage express?

Michael Bay was a producer for Bumblebee lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Missed opportunity for including rattrap as the wisecracking sidekick guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Apparently still gonna be Autobots and Decepticons alongside Maximals and Predacons. Main Autobots Prime, Bumblebee, Mirage and Arcee (the latter 2 will be a Porsche 911 and Ducati 916- so probably more of a Transformers Prime style design for Arcee), main Maximals Primal, Airazor and Rhinox, set in '94, seems to maybe be continuing continuity from Bumblebee?

Also

https://twitter.com/BWTF_Ben/status/1407412397552418816