Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Rookersh posted:

CoH2 remains the only game I've ever played that tries to push the narrative that Hitler was right. That we should have looked up to the German army for it's efficiency and kindness, and how all it's soldiers were just doing their job. That the fact them evil dirty ratlike Russians beat the Germans on the Eastern Front with their cheap tactics is one of the greatest travesties of the war. And all this happens in the "Russian" campaign of CoH.

It's the most baffling game I've ever played basically, and I have no idea how it got past any sort of editing/QA.

There's a reason the game is banned in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HGH posted:

So they announced an expansion to This War of Mine but...it's PS4 exclusive? Is this a thing now with PC games that get console releases?

As long as Sony keeps paying the developers of the games to do so, yes?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Riso posted:

A gay dude worked in the same building as the dev team?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Kins posted:

A gay dude worked in the same building as the dev team?

No, that was fine but then he talked in the break room about his boyfriend.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

It reminds me of the UAE banning Spec Ops: The Line. Before I watched an LP of the game I was like, really? I thought the UAE was fairly liberal? When I watched it I could see why at least.

CoH2 sounds way worse than that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Like some have said, trying to portray both the Nazis and Soviets as human in World War 2 sounds cool in theory, both sides did some awful stuff but they still were human and had families and some people who didn't agree with the Nazi ideology but followed it out of fear etc.

But CoH2 just flat out says Hitler was right, Russians are all cartoonishly evil aside from one guy who is narrating the story but he's the only non-evil Russian and it comes off as insulting.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I don't feel like this is a new things. I feel like every WW2 game where you can play as the Germans you are "history channel germans" as opposed to "real life germans."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This might be a historical moment - everyone who bought Company of Heroes 2, in one thread!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The Kins posted:

This might be a historical moment - everyone who bought Company of Heroes 2, in one thread!

Apparently I have it but I've never played it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Riso posted:

Russia being a fascist dictatorship that idolizes Stalin?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Kins posted:

Picked it up on sale after hearing how bad it was because it couldn't be that bad, could it? Silly me.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Bob A Feet posted:

I feel like every WW2 game where you can play as the Germans you are "history channel germans" as opposed to "real life germans."

Are there many of these games? I can't think of any.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

it couldn't be that bad, could it? Silly me.

If we did serious thread titles around here, this would be it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

anilEhilated posted:

Russia being a fascist dictatorship that idolizes Stalin?

Ding ding we have a winner :v: I mean, I'm not even Russian, and the Russian stereotypes feel insulting. It's like that one comic strip where Captain America says he isn't a coward and what do you think, that the A stands for France? It's lazy as poo poo.

Sober posted:

Well poo poo, I figured it had to be something like that re: Eastern front history.

Also playing through the first snow mission, wow now I understand why everyone hated that mechanic. The trudging through snow I get but freezing to death is just hilarious and not particularly fun.

You're right about the HUD, it's huge. I don't mind the flavour text so much as I remember playing CoH in 4:3 and even there the HUD felt a bit like a waste. The icons are okay of a sorts but they really don't tell you what they all mean nor are there any tooltips, which confused me. The UI itself is way too big though. The minimap is 1/5 of all your screen space. They removed the top-level zoom out tactical map, which was odd, cause that would've helped. I guess I'm kinda glad I didn't buy it, nor am I really planning to buy it now.

It's all in the details - the resources for example. In CoH1 they are vertically displayed, making them easier to read. In CoH2, they are horizontal because ??? I bought the game for $13 and I still feel like I paid $7 too much. :(

Det_no posted:

The worst change from COH to COH II was how the unit dialogue went from witty and heroic/stoic to super lifeless, edgy "Ja/Da, let's burn the orphanage then roll in the ashes" bullshit.

We will never find out what happened to Konrad and his laces.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Like some have said, trying to portray both the Nazis and Soviets as human in World War 2 sounds cool in theory, both sides did some awful stuff but they still were human and had families and some people who didn't agree with the Nazi ideology but followed it out of fear etc.

But CoH2 just flat out says Hitler was right, Russians are all cartoonishly evil aside from one guy who is narrating the story but he's the only non-evil Russian and it comes off as insulting.
I haven't gotten far enough to the first point, but the second point is pretty much absolutely present all the time. Man, it feels like they're writing to all the Nazi weeaboos (wehraboos) on the Red Orchestra forums from what it sounds like.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

a7m2 posted:

Apparently I have it but I've never played it.

It has a free weekend right now so everyone on steam has it. I haven't played COH2 but General Winter is one of my favorite characters in Sonic Racing Transformed. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ekster posted:

It reminds me of the UAE banning Spec Ops: The Line. Before I watched an LP of the game I was like, really? I thought the UAE was fairly liberal? When I watched it I could see why at least.

CoH2 sounds way worse than that.

Spec Ops was banned in the UAE for portraying the destruction of Dubai (the sandstorm that turned the city into a wasteland). It's got nothing to do with the game's actual content, supposedly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit I almost want to play this now just to see how you unironically do Hitler Was Right.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I almost want to play this now just to see how you unironically do Hitler Was Right.
Same here.

Also the free weekend lets me play Ardennes Assault but it seems like a really by-the-numbers Battle of Bastogne thing.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Spec Ops was banned in the UAE for portraying the destruction of Dubai (the sandstorm that turned the city into a wasteland). It's got nothing to do with the game's actual content, supposedly.

Huh. I assumed it had to do with Dubai's elite fleeing while telling their populace everything is going to be fine.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This was added to steam and i'm just gonna fuckin leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXA9ZO-SQTQ

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Starbound daily. Decided to check out the status of its EA process, and apparently a huge stable patch just hit. Looks like they are still improving quite a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6db4718sRY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stealth Inc 2 for free:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/stealthinc2_agameofclones_freegame

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Ragequit posted:

Starbound daily. Decided to check out the status of its EA process, and apparently a huge stable patch just hit. Looks like they are still improving quite a bit:

That was yesterday's daily, today's is Hand Of Fate.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That can't be a solid sales tactic...

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ragequit posted:

It's still boring garbage, Terraria remains vastly superior.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Deakul posted:

They're like the exact same game. Terraria has more boss fights, I guess.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Shoutout to Gromit who gave me some Pirate anime titty adventure last night. Hes a Certified Cool Guy.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Drifter posted:

That can't be a solid sales tactic...

I'm not sure I'll even play it, but it looks good on the backlog.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quest For Glory II posted:

What the hell did I just watch?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What the hell did I just watch?

The next logical question after "Who let the dogs out?"

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Crashbee posted:

That was yesterday's daily, today's is Hand Of Fate.

Whoops! Jumped the gun a bit. Hands of Fate looks pretty good as well.

Deakul posted:

Terraria is pretty fun, but I like the aesthetic of Starbound more. Have you tried the new patch from 2 days ago and still think it's garbage? I know what you mean though. Devs adding a ton more stuff and mechanics is just the worst. Hard hitting truths from the guy who couldn't figure out how to play Diablo 3.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

They're like the exact same game. Terraria has more boss fights, I guess.

The boss fights in Starbound are garbage, though. The first boss is a gimmick "avoid the lasers and hit a switch three times" thing, except that you have to fight through a maze to get to it, you move slower backwards than forwards (making it a lot harder to avoid the lasers), and if you die you have to do the entire maze over again.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Game of Thones + Tales from The Borderlands are really cheap on the bundle store right now. Just add some of the cheaper telltale games(Puzzle Agent, Poker Night) to your cart along with them and you can get them 85% off. :toot: I got both for 11 bucks instead of the 14 or 12 dollars they would cost individually.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 28, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It was a good patch but they added content for like 4 our of 10 tiers or something weird like that. There's also another complete combat overhaul in the works. Starbound might legit be good in like a year.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ragequit posted:

Whoops! Jumped the gun a bit. Hands of Fate looks pretty good as well.

Terraria is pretty fun, but I like the aesthetic of Starbound more. Have you tried the new patch from 2 days ago and still think it's garbage? I know what you mean though. Devs adding a ton more stuff and mechanics is just the worst. Hard hitting truths from the guy who couldn't figure out how to play Diablo 3.

Yes, I have and it's still poo poo.
There's no sense of progression or anything to do that's -fun-, the NPCs don't add jack to the game as it is, and the combat is still a chore.

And in this case, the stuff the devs are adding are pretty awful.
http://playstarbound.com/21st-july-farming-farmables/ boy howdy I sure do want to play harvest moon in my space travel game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Azran posted:

History-wise, the way Company of Heroes 2 displays the Eastern Front is 1) biased towards Germany and 2) factually wrong. First of all, in a story set in the Eastern Front, THE ONLY ONES COMMITING ATROCITIES ARE THE RUSSIANS. How hosed up is that? That particular bit was kind of repulsive. On point two, there are a lot of things you can mention but basically you can bring it down to two things:

As much as the accent pains me, I have to link this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m4SCUaBHS8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Det_no posted:

It was a good patch but they added content for like 4 our of 10 tiers or something weird like that. There's also another complete combat overhaul in the works. Starbound might legit be good in like a year.

Awesome. Terraria took a little time to become really good as well, so I hold out hope.

• Locked thread