Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chill la Chill posted:

Sidereal Confluence from WIz kids doesn’t explode into dust so it’s better...I guess.

Buying a $70 game from Wizkids is basically the entire reason I don't own Sidereal Confluence yet. It's such a risky proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Got to play A Feast for Odin fot the first time (and won 54 to 37/34/4). I was the only one raiding (and usually scooped the whaling up, too), and rolled 11s and 12s exclusively. We did have a rules question that we didn't look too hard to solve because it was real late:

When you take an action that requires a boat, is that boat committed for the round or can you use it on another action? Like we ended up ruling you can reuse it because the advantage of more boats seemed to be the ability to fill them with more ore, but it seemed a little strong that I raided twice and explored with one longship.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Got to play A Feast for Odin fot the first time (and won 54 to 37/34/4). I was the only one raiding (and usually scooped the whaling up, too), and rolled 11s and 12s exclusively. We did have a rules question that we didn't look too hard to solve because it was real late:

When you take an action that requires a boat, is that boat committed for the round or can you use it on another action? Like we ended up ruling you can reuse it because the advantage of more boats seemed to be the ability to fill them with more ore, but it seemed a little strong that I raided twice and explored with one longship.

Boats are reusable. You can have one longship and use all four raid spaces in one round if you like

EDIT: Jedit is correct, you will a second longship for the 4-viking raid spot.

The End fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 19, 2018

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I want a copy of new container with ships at least 50% that scale. Game looks goofy as poo poo.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

The End posted:

Boats are reusable. You can have one longship and use all four raid spaces in one round if you like

Bitchin'. Feels good to know I didn't cheat. Can't wait to play again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The End posted:

Being pedantic, you can't because Plundering requires two longships. But yeah, you could raid, pillage twice and plunder if you have two longships and 10 Vikings.

Played AFFO for the first time in a while last Sunday, the first time trying the "draw 2 keep 1" optional rule for occupations. It really jacks the score up, doesn't it? I won with 129, and even last place had 43. I've never broken 100 before in 4-player.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We played 3 player last night and I played pretty boring boats/whaling/raiding/pillaging/emigrate and won with 121. That feels like the most straightforward strategy that gives you some potential for big stuff early if you roll well but a good fallback with the very efficient emigration at the end. I am constantly torn on trying to be efficient with 1-2 viking actions or big plays with 3-4 and the game is so long that it's hard to feel like it's not a series of arbitrary choices that all slowly push you toward filling out your boards.

Also, I'm finally gonna cave and get the Meeple Realty insert because it's too good and will also cut down on table space a bit.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I'm in the same boat - read about it here, didn't really heed it much mind, but the SUSD cast sold me on it. My big question is: is it really $85 good? Seems pretty dang steep...

It’s a game that has remained in our normal rotation for a year and counting and have at least 30 plays.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I feel like if you are getting whaling and the looting actions the other players are asleep at the wheel.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Countblanc posted:

Buying a $70 game from Wizkids is basically the entire reason I don't own Sidereal Confluence yet. It's such a risky proposition.

Especially for a game that looks like a prototype I ran off in my bedroom.

Like man they couldn't even gussy it up a little. Maybe use some colors that you can distinguish at table distance in poor lighting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like that my cube pusher trading game looks like an excel spreadsheet cult TYVM

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Chill la Chill posted:

I like that my cube pusher trading game looks like an excel spreadsheet cult TYVM

It's like a bad excel model you need to go give the analyst a serve about because he hasn't laid it out correctly or used the right colours.

Edit: and the assumptions are not documented properly.

To give it credit it is a triumph of function over form but man.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 19, 2018

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Can’t believe we’re not talking about the Crusader Kings board game: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/crusader-kings-the-board-game-lead-your-dynasty-to

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

It was brought up in the KS thread.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not familiar with the IP but that art direction and graphic design is offensively bland. It all looks so mediocre and average that I end up actively disliking it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
It's a very popular and good and crunchy game that looks and plays very much like a heavy board game.

It will be a terrible board game (my gut reaction) and will make a lot of money and have lots of expansions.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I have a board gaming friend at PDXCON, hopefully he'll get to try out the prototype and report back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, Crusader Kings the video game is like a great adaption of a grand strategy board game and it’s lame the board game interpretation looks so boring. Something like Age of Renaissance is close to CK’syle but I can see that being a hard sell and hard design.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Not familiar with the IP but that art direction and graphic design is offensively bland. It all looks so mediocre and average that I end up actively disliking it.
The design is similar to the actual video game, but the video game itself is pretty ugly. It's an absolutely fantastic game, but it was never going to win any awards for graphics or UI design.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has anyone here played Clans/Fae? The description sounds pretty cool wrt players wanting to play optimally but not too optimally. I was wondering if the game actually works as well as I think it sounds.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

Yeah, Crusader Kings the video game is like a great adaption of a grand strategy board game and it’s lame the board game interpretation looks so boring. Something like Age of Renaissance is close to CK’syle but I can see that being a hard sell and hard design.

Yeah was about to say. It’ll be tough to beat AOR for crusader kings, space empires 4x for stellaris, and apparently pax renaissance for Europa universalis

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
One Deck Dungeon Steam app trip report: works exactly like you'd expect. Pretty good way to play if you don't wanna roll real dice. Ten bucks is an okay price for it. I'm very bad at it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah was about to say. It’ll be tough to beat AOR for crusader kings, space empires 4x for stellaris, and apparently pax renaissance for Europa universalis

What about Europa Universalis.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

there was a pbf of that that literally didn't get past setup before people got sick of it

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

there was a pbf of that that literally didn't get past setup before people got sick of it

That's completely unsurprising.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

basically the only cool thing i remember was that some players changed nations over the course of the game, like venice would shift to the netherlands or something once they got obsoleted. i think it'd be interesting to play with 'quantum leap' mechanics in grand strategy, the only other game i can think of that does it is smallworld and it's not great

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

7 ages kinda does that, kinda.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Switching empires was a core mechanic in (the PC game) Great Invasions by AGEOD. I hear it was a pretty lovely title though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Link? I love watching pbf shitshows :v:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
History of the world?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
http://www.medioevouniversalis.org

I don't know if it's this one, but i've seen this madman getting a stand in various italian board game fairs since 2011 and the game kept getting more monstruous every time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StashAugustine posted:

basically the only cool thing i remember was that some players changed nations over the course of the game, like venice would shift to the netherlands or something once they got obsoleted. i think it'd be interesting to play with 'quantum leap' mechanics in grand strategy, the only other game i can think of that does it is smallworld and it's not great

Britannia does exactly this. Nineteen tribes enter the country over the course of the game, which covers the Roman to Norman invasions. The tribes are distributed between four players, so while yellow (for example) starts with the Romans and replaces them with the Romano-British on turn 6, he will also end up controlling Norwegians and Dubliners as they arrive in later waves of invasion.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Gloomhaven is really good, guys. Shocking news, I know!

Just retired my first character (Spellweaver) after reaching level 9 and then smashing the retirement scenarios. It's been almost five months playing the same character, with weekly or bi-weekly sessions, and I only started to get tired of it within the last couple of weeks. The Spellweaver was fun and interesting to play for the whole time, every single level. Interesting decisions to make right from level 1, with later levels altering the playstyle and introducing new choices of their own. And then... oh my. Then you reach level 9, and it's as utterly bonkers overpowered as it looks - which makes for a fantastic victory lap before retirement. I didn't plan to hit level 9, it just took a long time to reach retirement conditions, but I couldn't have asked for a more satisfying send off. Lighting entire rooms of mobs on fire, repeatedly, was the perfect conclusion for the character. I actually feel kind of sad knowing that my chances of ever playing a Spellweaver again are near zero - not because I don't want to play the class again, nor because I won't play more Gloomhaven (I will!), but simply because there's so much more fantastic design to explore in the Gloomhaven box.

The last boardgame that I played anywhere close to this much was Battlestar Galactica, and that only because we house-ruled the everloving bajezus out of that broken but beautiful game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My group is starting Pandemic Legacy Season 2 tonight; are there any "commonly overlooked pitfalls" or anything we should know about going in? 3 of us are carrying on from our Season 1 group so we're good on the "how to use the legacy deck" type stuff

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Chill la Chill posted:

Forgot to add but if you get Ra, get the old version. Asmodee has been rereleasing them with cheaper plastic components. I specifically got the old T&E game because of this.

Could you clarify on that? Do you mean the Windrider version has better components? Is there any way to distinguish from the box?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is there a bg swap thread? I just realized I have the civilization board game sitting around doing nothing.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is there a bg swap thread? I just realized I have the civilization board game sitting around doing nothing.

The bg trading thread never got enough activity to stay out of archives, so people have been using the deals thread instead

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522409

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Crackbone posted:

Could you clarify on that? Do you mean the Windrider version has better components? Is there any way to distinguish from the box?

The old version has wooden pieces and the art is much easier to read. They’ve since replaced the good bits with cardboard. This explains it all: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3054265/ra

I have the even more superior version apparently. The old rio Grande one has thicker wood and has the 2P starting layout, which they apparently removed with my friend’s later version.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

jivjov posted:

My group is starting Pandemic Legacy Season 2 tonight; are there any "commonly overlooked pitfalls" or anything we should know about going in? 3 of us are carrying on from our Season 1 group so we're good on the "how to use the legacy deck" type stuff

Your travel powers aren't as strong as base Pandemic, but you can still Drive/Ferry across oceans. Keep an eye out for location restrictions (such as actions/abilities/cards requiring havens or supply centres).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

jivjov posted:

When you pick the bottom card from the infection deck during an outbreak, remove all the supplies from that city before shuffling/redrawing. We overlooked that part for the first few months and were only pulling one cube off.