Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spoiler alert: EULA's are not actually legally binding contracts. They don't hold up in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blast of Confetti posted:

but if it's unopened he hasn't clicked i agree to anything

True, that's one more reason this would likely be laughed out of court if Bethesda actually tried.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't know poo poo about the law but why can Bethesda determine who sells their own property? Is it not the seller's to do with as they please? I thought only Japan had real strict rules about reselling games.

Read the linked article; their justification smells like BS to me but they (and their legal representation, which has a section on their website advertising to companies their ability to stop software resellers) claim that by reselling a game without providing a warranty you're basically selling a "modified version" of that product which means you're no longer covered by the first sale doctrine that lets you legally resell stuff you own. Again, bullshit, but that's their claim and they say there's legal precedent for it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

Spoiler alert: EULA's are not actually legally binding contracts. They don't hold up in court.

Hey man did I loving stutter? I said that when in my first post about EULAs. It doesn't mean that companies like Beth won't swing their dicks around trying to intimidate people with the language therein.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DrNutt posted:

Hey man did I loving stutter? I said that when in my first post about EULAs. It doesn't mean that companies like Beth won't swing their dicks around trying to intimidate people with the language therein.

Yeah notices to individuals are all SCARY LEGAL WORDS.

It's all well and good to :smug: this doesn't hold up in court. Until a team of 100 lawyers fucks with you and your only recourse is to spend your life savings on A lawyer and hope.

Not cool.

Still gonna buy doom eternal day one tbh. Sorry

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There is an extremely horny subset of the yakuza fanbase actually who wants to see Kiryu and majima gently caress

don’t subpost me thanks

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Here is the relevant section from their legal firm's website. It doesn't have anything to do with EULAs or licensing, it's a loophole regarding warranties.

quote:

Under what is known as the First Sale Doctrine, once a trademark owner (“the company”) sells a product, the buyer ordinarily can resell the product without infringing the owner’s mark. However, the First Sale Doctrine does not apply when a reseller sells a trademarked good that is materially different from the company’s genuine goods.

Case law has established a few important principles relating to material differences. This includes that: 1) the threshold of materiality is considered “low”; 2) only a single material difference is necessary to give rise to a trademark infringement claim; and 3) material differences do not have to be “physical” differences.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bombadilillo posted:

It's all well and good to :smug: this doesn't hold up in court. Until a team of 100 lawyers fucks with you and your only recourse is to spend your life savings on A lawyer and hope.

Not cool.

buy games preowned

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm starting Witcher 3 today. See you all in a month.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bombadilillo posted:

Not cool.

I also don't feel as comfortable doing the "this won't hold up in court thing" when it's 2018, the CFPB has been defanged to a ludicrous degree and may as well not exist, and Trump has been appointing whackadoos to district courts for the last two years whose only qualification is likely that they believe corporations have more rights than people. Something like this goes up to the wrong judge and some pretty bad precedent could get set.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Looks as if their law firm jumped the gun. Bethesda themselves haven't commented on it yet.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Safeword posted:

Looks as if their law firm jumped the gun. Bethesda themselves haven't commented on it yet.

They've retained the services of a company whose selling point is "we've found a loophole in the First Sale Doctrine that essentially renders unauthorized resales of video games illegal". What statement could they possibly make that would ameliorate this?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I haven’t beaten it but you’re in for one of the best games ever. Have fun!

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Instant Grat posted:

They've retained the services of a company whose selling point is "we've found a loophole in the First Sale Doctrine that essentially renders unauthorized resales of video games illegal". What statement could they possibly make that would ameliorate this?

Does the law firm in question have a history of doing this, and how widespread is it currently? A single, sudden incident smacks of miscommunication between client and law firm, rather than a malicious intent to me.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Mafia 3 has some great presentation and style but is the core gameplay loop just going to consist of working my way through the 6 neighborhoods of New Bordeaux, disrupting the criminal enterprise of the boss in each area until the mission to kill them pops up?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

we got all the mainline yakuza games anyway. it's just that nobody played them until 0

True as that may be, I didn't know about the series or have a Playstation at the time, so, I'm getting into them now.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Montalvo posted:

Mafia 3 has some great presentation and style but is the core gameplay loop just going to consist of working my way through the 6 neighborhoods of New Bordeaux, disrupting the criminal enterprise of the boss in each area until the mission to kill them pops up?

Yeah. You're doing the same stuff at the end as you are at the beginning. It's a story I really enjoyed, but its far too big for its own good.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

lol, friend, it took me 4 months to finish just the released base game.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Montalvo posted:

It's super repetitive and boring, unfortunately. Some great cutscenes marred by terrible gameplay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lambert posted:

It's super repetitive and boring, unfortunately. Some great cutscenes marred by terrible gameplay.

Essentially 2 Mafia games in a row have begged the question "why did this game need to be open world?"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Essentially 2 Mafia games in a row have begged the question "why did this game need to be open world?"

See also LA Noire, GTA V

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quantum of Phallus posted:

See also LA Noire, GTA V

Agreed on LA Noire but GTAV has a trash story and would have been nauseating without the sandbox to enjoy on top of the main plot.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Montalvo posted:

Yes, unfortunately

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if your open world isn't to the tune of MGSV or Saints Row then get out of my face

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The open world wouldn't even be that bad if you didn't have to do a bunch of busy work to get to the story mission. Or if it even had fast travel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

See also LA Noire, GTA V

Don't agree on GTA V at all, but I'd love to see a post mortem on LA Noire's world design. If you go off the beaten path there are so many large, detailed and unique areas that are straight up never used for anything but optional wandering around. Like, they can't have designed them with that intent.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would love to see LA Noire 2 with some kind of Yakuzaesque city full of bars and entertainment and side stories to investigate. I enjoyed the first game a lot but the open world really needed more love.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Don't agree on GTA V at all, but I'd love to see a post mortem on LA Noire's world design. If you go off the beaten path there are so many large, detailed and unique areas that are straight up never used for anything but optional wandering around. Like, they can't have designed them with that intent.

LA Noire's problems start and end with "the higher-ups worked and mis-managed the development team into the ground". There are reasons the studio was closed after it released.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh god that Doom Eternal footage.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Neddy Seagoon posted:

LA Noire's problems start and end with "the higher-ups worked and mis-managed the development team into the ground". There are reasons the studio was closed after it released.

Didn't Rockstar take it over because it was a goddamn mess

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ElwoodCuse posted:

Didn't Rockstar take it over because it was a goddamn mess

Yeah it was in production hell for years, Rockstar had to take over to get it out the door, Team Bondi was dissolved as soon as it shipped, their expensive facial animation tech was never used again because it had zero flexibility.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it was in production hell for years, Rockstar had to take over to get it out the door, Team Bondi was dissolved as soon as it shipped, their expensive facial animation tech was never used again because it had zero flexibility.

Yup. iirc, the game can never ever run at 60FPS because the mocapped faces are recorded at something like 30FPS.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Safeword posted:

Yeah. You're doing the same stuff at the end as you are at the beginning. It's a story I really enjoyed, but its far too big for its own good.

Lambert posted:

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yes, unfortunately

Yikes. Is there some way to do to the bare minimum so I can experience the story beats?

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Montalvo posted:

Yikes. Is there some way to do to the bare minimum so I can experience the story beats?

Just kill people, don't bother with wire tapping. You will at most deprive yourself of cutscenes where Lincoln isn't as brutal.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, alright. Thanks!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
im not sure why anyone would buy the same trash game with the same trash engine from the same trash publisher featuring the exact same trash gameplay its been re-releasing for the last 10 years with different skins, so maybe that seller was just overestimating demand

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I can't imagine anyone would buy a Bethesda game. They certainly don't sell any copies of games.

Also it was The Evil Within. A game that is nothing like Bethesda games.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guess who’s spent all day doing their loving real estate

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah evil within 2 is about the worst example for "traditional bethesda published game" you could pick lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
oh i thought we were still talking fallout 4, never mind then