Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Barudak posted:

Attack and dethrone capitalism, or make friends with her and get a hire at her other job.

See if she’d be down to just donate her bakery salary to organizations that support struggling members of the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Teen witch, do you have any ketchup with pasta stories from Sweden?

It's called pasta rosso. Something that broke rear end students and desperately hangry teenagers eat.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Teen witch, do you have any ketchup with pasta stories from Sweden?

Sweden has this dish called Flygande Jakob, which was apparently invented by an airline pilot in the 80s. It's like a chicken casserole made with heavy cream, chili ketchup, bananas and peanuts. I made it once and my wife made me promise to never make it again.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Issaries posted:

You might not like it, but this is what peak-pasta looks like:

This is what Dutch people made in the 1950s, when pasta was first introduced into the country. Pasta, spam or fried ham bits, ketchup.
It's what i (90s kid) grew up with, though with some pre-cut vegetables added.

Forgive them, they didn't know any better.

Thank god food culture has become a thing and you can now actually get good quality pasta and olive oil. Doesn't mean that people are all getting the good stuff, but at least it's there.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Putting pasta in cold water and then boiling it is the most revolting thing I've ever read.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like my pasta like I like my comedy, raw and uncut

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Gerblyn posted:

Sweden has this dish called Flygande Jakob ...a chicken casserole made with heavy cream, chili ketchup, bananas and peanuts.

:stonklol:
Why would you feed that filth to someone you claim to love

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I know many seemingly functional adults here in Norway whose most exotic meal is one of these bad boys:

But they make sure to pick all the paprika off before eating it though, wouldn't want any RABBIT FOOD entering the system!!!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Biplane posted:

I know many seemingly functional adults here in Norway whose most exotic meal is one of these bad boys:

But they make sure to pick all the paprika off before eating it though, wouldn't want any RABBIT FOOD entering the system!!!

Sorry, does paprika mean something different in Sweden than elsewhere?

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Paprika = Bell pepper in some languages.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA I stopped cooking for my husband

quote:

Am I the rear end in a top hat? I (20 year old female) stoped cooking for my (23 year old) husband. My husband is extremely picky when it comes to food for example he eats chicken, steak, bacon, sausage, white fish, cinnamon, chocolate, milk, cheese, asparagus, and bread/tortillas.

I am not picky at all. I am tired of eating his type of diet day in and day out. He complains when I cook anything because “it’s going to stink up the house.” He works from 7am to 10pm every day but he comes home for lunch at 12:30 and a snack around 5 so, it’s not like he is even around to smell anything.

I told him I don’t care. I make myself breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. I stopped making him food because I am so sick and tired of the pickiness. He is not even willing to try any foods. He will not eat any form of potatoes, rice, pasta, vegetables, fruit, beans, or any type of condiment or sauce just to throw that out there. Hence, trying to make him a meal that doesn’t include any of those things is very hard. I have given up cooking for him. I feel like I would be willing to make him food if he was willing I try new foods. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

i guess since he eats asparagus you cant just let him die of scurvy

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Doll House Ghost posted:

Paprika = Bell pepper in some languages.

That would do it then. I was wondering if they used tweezers to get the powder off the pizza.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Gerblyn posted:

Sweden has this dish called Flygande Jakob, which was apparently invented by an airline pilot in the 80s. It's like a chicken casserole made with heavy cream, chili ketchup, bananas and peanuts. I made it once and my wife made me promise to never make it again.

You forgot about the bacon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnTZijQp57E

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gerblyn posted:

Sweden delenda est

kru
Oct 5, 2003

At no point has any contract ever said 'Yes, feel free to work at another job during your PAID sabbatical.'

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mx. posted:

This guy sounds less like a husband and more like a roommate on a joint bank account.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Meskhenet posted:

Ketchup and bologenies sauce is pretty much the same.

Liquid tomato,

its the same thing

I know this is a joke but actual bolognese is not red sauce - the actual color of a legit bolognese is orange. It's not tomato sauce with meat in it, it's a dairy-based meat sauce with some tomatoes added during the cooking. The primary flavors + color are from the fats of the meat and the dairy mingling.

If someone is serving you just tomato sauce + some meat in it, that's just some crappy American Sbarro-style meat sauce.

My test if some place is a legit Italian place is to order their bolognese and if I get red sauce, I know it's tourist bullshit.

I'm sorry, I just love a good bolognese too much for this slander to stand

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 26, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

It is shameful that nobody has named the true best condiment, pickled onions

What as in

Not sure those are condiments per se, I eat them straight out of the jar (and make my own).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for getting pissed off about my lack of inheritance?

Donating to a church is not donating to charity at all.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Ketchup goes with everything

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

So where does omurice fit into the boiled grain and ketchup discourse?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

feedmegin posted:

What as in

Not sure those are condiments per se, I eat them straight out of the jar (and make my own).

Save the brine and use it as the chaser in a cinnamon whisky pickleback. It's delicious. That, or jalapeno brine.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

i really can't feel sorry for this woman, because presumably she knew she was marrying a toddler. the time to put her foot down about making chicken tendies every day was before she walked down the aisle at the fuckin daycare center

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Pirate Radar posted:

That would do it then. I was wondering if they used tweezers to get the powder off the pizza.

Why does the English language have two entirely different words for the vegetable and the powdered vegetable in the first place?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Why does the English language have two entirely different words for the vegetable and the powdered vegetable in the first place?

Because they have different tastes and functions. And paprika can be made from a variety of different peppers

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for eating during work?

quote:

I (25M) started my new job last year. It’s mostly remote but occasionally they have us come into the office for training or important meetings.

Yesterday I had to go to the office. It was group training for my team for a certain software and application that we use regularly (it just got an update so we were getting training on the update).

I usually eat bananas and peanut butter for breakfast, and I brought them with me to the office. I didn’t have time to eat at home because I always do a morning workout before starting my day and I figured no problem, I’ll eat at the office.

During the training, I ate my bananas and peanut butter. I had a tupperware of peanut butter and a couple bananas. I didn’t have any napkins or silverware so I was biting off pieces of banana and dipping them in the PB.

I was also actively engaged with the training presentation and taking notes on my computer.

A few of my coworkers were giving me looks, and no one else was eating. I was being very quiet and not crunching or disturbing anything, or making a mess so I thought it would be fine if I was eating.

At one point, the guy next to me was staring at my bananas, so I offered him one. He shook his head and shushed me but nothing else really happened.

The presentation and training went fine, I participated and asked some questions, but later at lunch, I heard my one coworker who I had offered the banana to complaining that the whole meeting room smelled like bananas and PB.

I interjected and told him to stop complaining since I HAD offered to share and was not interrupting the training or being a nuisance.

It ended up being a split debate… A few of my coworkers agreed with the guy and said I shouldn’t have been eating during the training but one or two people agreed with me and said it wasn’t a big deal, I wasn’t disturbing anyone.

I have another training office day next month so I want to ask.. Was I the AH for eating? Should I not eat anything next time?

EDIT: It is a very healthy breakfast. I work out a lot so I usually eat 2-4 bananas and 3-5 tbsp of PB because I need the protein and electrolytes and I dont like artificial protein shakes. The amount of PB depends on how many calories I burnt during working out.

Usually for lunch I have eggs and then I do an apple and PB for snack later.

Would an apple be better to eat at work than a banana since it’s less smelly?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Funktastic posted:

AITA for eating during work?

Tuesday training courses suck

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

feedmegin posted:

What as in

Yes, exactly.

(There was an AITA earlier in the thread where someone asked if they were the rear end in a top hat for bringing their favorite condiment to restaurants, and that 'condiment' turned out to be pickled onions)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

The name of the vegetable was taken from having a similar piquance to black pepper, which can be traced back through Latin to a Sanskrit loanword. The name of the powdered version derives from that same loanword transliterated into Hungarian, and only then to English.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of all the assholes at work who lick papers and then pass them over to me with a smile, when it comes to eating in an office meeting. I have a Saturday meeting this weekend and it sucks because I still am the only one with a mask on, and everyone will be gorging on poo poo in between coughs.

AITA for telling a friend if she doesn’t dress modestly she’s not coming to my wedding?

quote:

I am 23F and I’m getting married to my fiancé 25M in March.

I sent out the invitations for the wedding before the Christmas holidays but now one friend (Ellie) has taken issue with the dress code.

Fiancé and I are both practicing muslims who both have several close non Muslim friends. We have managed to find a masjid that is able to perform our nikah (religious marriage) as well as being registered to perform the civil marriage!

Now obviously since the actual wedding is going to be in a masjid we asked all our guests to dress respectfully and be covered.

None of our other friends or relatives (those who don’t usually follow the rules of modest dress for either men or women in their day to day) have had an issue with this.

Ellie has taken issue with the dress code. I tried to explain it nicely to her at first that it’s a place of worship and she needs to be respectful of that but she’s just getting more and more aggro about it.

Yesterday she messaged me to say she would ware whatever she wanted and I would have to deal with it so I messaged her back and said “Ellie I can’t make you dress appropriately but if you don’t then you can’t come to the wedding.”

Now she’s texting the GC saying I’m excluding her from my wedding for stupid reasons and that I have an agenda against her for being an atheist.

I’ve known her since she was 17 and this has never been how she behaved so now I’m wondering if I’m being a bridezilla and TA?

redditor has words for this poo poo and i'd like to use it overall for dress "codes" for poo poo like weddings/family pictures/etc: I’m an atheist but I was raised not to be an rear end and that there’s a time and place for everything. Clothes for clubbing, the workplace, etc.

AITA for telling my daughter that she can’t expect me to do the hard things for her just because she doesn’t want to do them?

quote:

I have a 17yo daughter named Eva who is gay. She came out years ago, but honestly before she ever said anything to me, she made it clear as a child that she wanted very little to do with boys.

My half brother James and I reconnected about two years ago. We knew of each other as children, but I didn’t know for sure that he and I shared the same dad. We ended up doing a dna test after our father died and confirmed that we were siblings. So now we’ve gotten to know one another again and we’ve been slowly introducing our families to each other.

He has two kids that are just a few years younger than my daughter, so Eva was really excited about finally having some cousins closer to her age (the ones on her mom’s side are significantly younger). She’s also excited about getting to know more of my family since I’m not very close with the rest of them.

We’ve met up a few times and it’s always gone well. Everyone gets along with each other. At dinner a little while ago, James joked that Eva’s “boyfriends” would have to answer to me, her uncle, and her male cousins if they broke her heart. Eva just laughed a little and said that she wasn’t concerned about boys so they wouldn’t have to worry about that.

Later when they were gone, she asked me if I knew how James and his family felt about the LGBTQ community. I told her that I wasn’t sure because it had never come up, so then she asked me if I could find out for her. I said that she should just talk to them about it directly since she was the one with the question, but then she said that she didn’t want to ask because she didn’t know James as well as I did and it would probably be easier for me to bring it up instead.

I ended up telling her that she can’t expect me to do hard things for her just because she doesn’t want to do them, and if she wants to tell my brother/his family that she’s gay or even find out their opinions on LGBTQ people, then she should do that herself. I thought she had let it go, but she’s been giving me the cold shoulder for a bit.

My ex wife actually called me earlier and told me I was being obtuse about the situation and that I actually should be willing to do this for our daughter.

I feel that Eva disclosing her identity is a responsibility that should fall on her, and it’s not my job to pave that road for her. Evidently my ex and Eva both think it is and that I’m being insensitive as well, so I wanted some outside opinions.

Edit:

I love my daughter, and I’m proud of her. Even in wanting her to find out about my brother’s views on her own, I never would have left her to handle that without me at least in the room.

Reading the comments, I realize that I wasn’t teaching her how to be independent and do things on her own, I was likely making her feel completely unsupported.

I saw this as a facing her anxieties thing, instead of truly thinking about it as a safety issue. I should have tried to see it from her point of view, I recognize that, and I will do more to learn in the future. I’m going to apologize to her, and ask how she wants to go about this

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 26, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for asking my roommate to stop having her boyfriend over so often?

quote:

I (27F) have two roommates, Alice (29F) and Janet (28F).

Janet has a long-distance boyfriend, Josh (28ish M), who recently started visiting around once a month. Each time, he stays 5-8 days. Neither Alice nor I know Josh very well, as he doesn't like interacting with us much. This in itself is already makes Alice and me a bit uncomfortable, as it's essentially having a 4th (unfamiliar male) roommate 25% of the time.

To add to that, Janet and Josh are home all the time and are very loud and take up a lot of space. Janet without Josh is a good roommate - quiet, clean, and respectful of house rules. But when Josh visits, they cook loudly in the kitchen, blast TV shows in the living room, and talk at full volume. Josh also will often take work calls in the living room with no headphones on. Alice's room is closest to the common areas, and she has asked them multiple times to keep it down.

To be fair, Janet and Josh are fairly quiet during quiet hours. But, my room shares a wall with Janet's, and our doors are literally right next to each other. This means that, even with our doors closed, I can hear absolutely everything, from their Netflix, to their talking, to them being intimate. It's genuinely traumatizing (I'm being dramatic but it really does suck). Additionally, I have to pass by Janet's room to get to my bathroom. I usually walk out of the shower with just a towel, but when Josh is around I have to get fully clothed in the bathroom first.

Alice and I were extremely frustrated and decided to have a talk with Janet. We first talked about being quieter in the common areas, to which Janet obliged. I then said that I felt uncomfortable with how much Josh is around. I asked whether Josh could visit every other month instead, or shorten the stay to 2-3 days each month. Janet responded saying that the trip wouldn't be worth it if it was so short (Josh is a 45min flight away), and that they had agreed to see each other every month. Alice asked if Janet could visit him sometimes instead, or travel somewhere together, and Janet said she was "too poor" (she's not poor) to do that and wanted Josh to visit her because he paid for his flights. We tried thinking of other options, such as timing visits to when Alice and I were away, having Josh stay at a hotel, etc. but Janet refused all of them. We basically dropped the conversation there, and afterward we could hear Janet slamming cupboards and doors (which is what she does when she's is angry).

One one hand, I know long-distance is difficult and I feel bad for trying to restrict how much time she spends with Josh. But on the other hand, I feel like I should have a say in who gets to be in my home. Josh visiting has made Alice's and my living environment very uncomfortable, and I feel dread every time Janet announces he is coming to visit. AITA for asking Janet to have her boyfriend over less?

"well i couldn't possibly stay over at josh's for a week" "why not" "his roommates would never stand for it"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

the holy poopacy posted:

AITA for refusing a person a plate after they showed up uninvited?

this carbonara has too much sriracha on it, who made this garbage?!

oh hey, the rear end in a top hat who was ruining his food so he could throw it out knew exactly what he was doing:

quote:

A small update - I received a very enlightening text from an old friend that Layla has kept close with. Apparently Lucas did not want to move at all but Layla was offered an amazing opportunity here so he agreed. According to this friend, Lucas has also sabotaged happy hour with her new coworkers and always “coincidentally” needs her at home whenever she wants to go out with new friends. It seems like he is maybe trying to make her unhappy socially here so she’ll be willing to move back home. I feel a little guilty for not picking up on this sooner but I’m grateful for the perspective. I plan to reach out to Layla tomorrow and see if we can have a real talk about her situation.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

A good dad/possible future FIL :unsmith:

teen witch posted:

Johnny Truant posted:

Here's one of my favourite questions though: if you could only use one condiment for the rest of your life, what would it be? Mine is soy sauce, no contest

Mmm....Bronndiments

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for refusing to finish eating my mashed potatoes?
Not the A-hole

....Plus, he really wants to go back to school again to become a registered nurse......

At 47 years old with a blind and disabled ("I tire easily", etc) wife to care for at home. Yes, this is a very realistic goal.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Varieties of chili peppers can have 3 and 4 different names depending on how ripe they were picked, if they're dried or not, smoked, ground vs whole......and it's not just in english.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Mmm....Bronndiments

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for wanting to postpone my wedding till my fiance gets rid of his braces ?

quote:

My fiance (25M) has braces. He refused to get them when he was a child/teen cause he feared people would make fun of him, but he finally accepted to get them after the dentists told him clearly that it wouldn't be recommended to replace his extracted teeth till he fixes his crooked ones. The issue is that our wedding was supposed to be coming up soon, but now I plan to postpone till my fiance gets rid f his braces. I have nothing against him wearing braces. I even encouraged him to get them to finally fix his bad teeth, but did you ever saw of a groom wearing braces at his wedding photos ? I don't think so.

I thought my fiance would be understanding, but instead he got mad at me and accused me of being ashamed with him. That's obviously no true, I just want our wedding photos to be as esthetically pleasing as possible and that's why I want to postpone our wedding till his braces come off. I also told him he could've avoided all this if he got invisible braces, but he said these were much more expensive and wanted to save money specifically for our wedding and honey moon and didn't think his fiancee would be so shallow to care about it. He ended up saying that if I postpone the wedding now I might as well just call it off altogether, which I think is incredibly unfair of him to do, but maybe I should've insisted on this issue either.

AITA ?

quote:

INFO: When is the wedding planned for and how much longer does he need to wear braces?

Also have you already setup the wedding date, venue, put down any money etc?

OP posted:

I booked a venue for a specific date for this spring since last year, but I plan to cancel and book it on the same date in the next year (hopefully he wouldn't need braces till then).

don't bother rebooking, and not just because you don't know how long your guy will have braces

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Motronic posted:

Varieties of chili peppers can have 3 and 4 different names depending on how ripe they were picked, if they're dried or not, smoked, ground vs whole......and it's not just in english.

My grandmother calls green bell peppers “mangoes”

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

mlnhd posted:

My grandmother calls green bell peppers “mangoes”

I have some bad news about grangran

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

So looking at the recipe it's basically coq au vin replacing the wine and broth with ketchup and the onions/mushrooms with bananas?

Guess I know what to try in a few months! I just made a big thing of coq au vin blanc this weekend and it's too rich to do more than once a quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I mean... Do whatever you want? You don't really explain why the kids have to be included since you don't have any yourself but whatever. I don't know why she's putting so much energy into worrying about it.

OTOH they could be one of those Disney adults, too.