Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
So excited for that Pittsburgh show, Ormsby is always a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
So, I went and saw Iron Lung the other night and all I have to say is that if you dont go see them when they are in your town, youre loving up.

Also, the new LP rules.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

So, I went and saw Iron Lung the other night and all I have to say is that if you dont go see them when they are in your town, youre loving up.

Also, the new LP rules.

This except Neo Cons

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

Also, the new LP rules.

I hosed up and missed them when they toured Oz.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

So I'm assuming you're all Chuck Ragan fans, and if you missed the Revival Tour then gently caress You cause it was awesome.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This thread was correct, Against Me!'s best album is Searching For A Former Clarity. So good. Now that I have exhausted my Against Me! search are there any similar bands sort of carrying on the flame?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Off With Their Heads is loving amazing. Anybody else enjoying "Home"? I particualrly like "Shirts" and "Focus On Your Own Family".

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Off With Their Heads is loving amazing. Anybody else enjoying "Home"? I particualrly like "Shirts" and "Focus On Your Own Family".

Yeah, I'm pretty jazzed to see them open for Alkaline Trio, unlike Bayside. Woof.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

weekly font posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty jazzed to see them open for Alkaline Trio, unlike Bayside. Woof.

I actually checked them out on comedian Kyle Kinane's recommendation. He has good taste, he introduced me to Cheap Girls too.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My friend introduced me to them with Home. Now I've bought a lot of their records and I can't get enough. Really amazing.

Focus On Your Own Family is my favorite of theirs off Home.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Did we decide to not talk about RVIVR's newest album? Because I can't stop listening and am surprised by the lack of posts.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Modern Life is War got back together maybe?

I saw the news this morning, got excited, then realized what day it was. But it's starting to look like it could be real. I dunno. I have no interest in going to This is Hardcore and they've said they're not going to do extensive touring so even if they are back together I'll probably never see them again.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Kevar posted:

Modern Life is War got back together maybe?

I saw the news this morning, got excited, then realized what day it was. But it's starting to look like it could be real. I dunno. I have no interest in going to This is Hardcore and they've said they're not going to do extensive touring so even if they are back together I'll probably never see them again.

I just saw this and I'm super excited, they were always fun to see. I just hope their new album isn't similar to Midnight In America, I could never get into that album.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 2, 2013

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009
i thought i would post this here before i went on ebay. is anyone interested in a react records 7" box set or a 12" box set? records have only been played once. make me a reasonable offer. i have pms

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Thursday/Envy split was announced on an April 1st, and it was awesome.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Caught Vancouver's White Lung a couple days ago and they rocked extremely loving hard. Pretty short set but they didn't let up for an instant, it was glorious.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Would you guys mind if I created an Emo sortamegathread as a spin-off from this thread?

It'd be specifically to discuss the 1987-1997 scene, bands like Dag Nasty, Moss Icon, Rites of Spring, Embrace, Hoover, Jawbreaker, Fugazi, Gray Matter, Fuel, Indian Summer, Julia, Heroin, etc...

You guys can keep all the modern stuff and the post-emo bands (Saves the Day, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, etc...). I've been reading through this thread and it seems to be hard to get a discussion going, and have it focused on that specific era/actual style.

I've started to write a mega-OP but I'd want both this thread to be in agreement and mod-greenlight before I posted it.

edit: On a related note, listen to Jawbreaker's Unfun for the first time in maybe two years. I got a bit burned out on JB for a while, but gently caress is that album as good as ever.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 3, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Alkaline Trio album dropped today along with some b-sides. So far so good although the b-sides are really solid. Probably some of the better tracks compared to what's on the actual album release.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

B-sides are better than a lot of the album as usual because Dan. Broken Wing is one of the best songs they've done in years.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Twee as gently caress posted:

Would you guys mind if I created an Emo sortamegathread as a spin-off from this thread?

It'd be specifically to discuss the 1987-1997 scene, bands like Dag Nasty, Moss Icon, Rites of Spring, Embrace, Hoover, Jawbreaker, Fugazi, Gray Matter, Fuel, Indian Summer, Julia, Heroin, etc...

You guys can keep all the modern stuff and the post-emo bands (Saves the Day, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, etc...). I've been reading through this thread and it seems to be hard to get a discussion going, and have it focused on that specific era/actual style.

I've started to write a mega-OP but I'd want both this thread to be in agreement and mod-greenlight before I posted it.

edit: On a related note, listen to Jawbreaker's Unfun for the first time in maybe two years. I got a bit burned out on JB for a while, but gently caress is that album as good as ever.

Although I dig emo, I'm not sure that creating a new thread for it will necessarily generate discussion if you couldn't get one going in this thread. It would make more sense to create one if this thread had become swamped with emo talk in my opinion. I don't actually know enough/anything about the first wave of emo bands to contribute anything meaningful to your hypothetical thread, as much as I like the music, unless I can ramble for several posts about how good Mineral's The Power of Failing is!

e: I am looking at going to Fluff Fest this year because the last couple of years have looked really good, however, I don't actually know that many of the bands so far. I am familiar with Downfall of Gaia, Marnost, Harm's Way, Dangers and Goodtime Boys, but is there anyone else from the first crop of bands that I should be listening to? I'm pretty sure a lot of the bigger names are still to come as last year they had PBTT, Code Orange Kids, Loma Prieta, Defeater & Weekend Nachos amongst others.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 3, 2013

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't know if this is the best thread for this, but Jimmy Eat World announced their new album, Damage, comes out in June.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Likely unnecessary. While discussion of this does not come up often, it does come up at times, and is relevant to the thread.

With that said, I err more on the screamo side of things such as Heroin rather than the initial Revolution Summer emo bands and thus would welcome any discussion along those lines.

For starters I would like to remind people of the existence of 1905, and strongly advise any screamo, or punk fans to check out the album Voice. I have never heard a band come quite close to the sound of 1905, combining screamo with anarcho-punk. Such a combination I presume would seemingly fit perfectly, yet I have never heard any other bands attempt it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB9cJnvCBSg

On the other field, I previously mentioned the new Nails record to deaf ears, but I would like to bring it back that this is an album well worth a listen for hardcore fans and for the time being is the best hardcore record of the year so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLU2zrhiNik

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009

if you made that thread i would probably just look at that over this one. i have been going to shows since 2000 so i dont know if its an age thing, but honestly i dont even look at this thread because i dont know or dont care about most of the bands that are talked about. the idea of having a thread with the content you mentioned would be awesome.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

weekly font posted:

B-sides are better than a lot of the album as usual because Dan. Broken Wing is one of the best songs they've done in years.

I'm a little pissed the B-sides are iTunes only. Had I known I could have gotten the full CD w/ bonus tracks for the same price as the physical release I wouldn't have bothered.

Bought em anyway, :)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

weekly font posted:

Ya Broken Wing is goddamn great. Skiba fell short this album.

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013

Killsion posted:

On the other field, I previously mentioned the new Nails record to deaf ears, but I would like to bring it back that this is an album well worth a listen for hardcore fans and for the time being is the best hardcore record of the year so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLU2zrhiNik

Thanks, now I have something new to workout to.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

It'd be specifically to discuss the 1987-1997 scene
I'm pretty much only interested in the emo/screamo/skramz stuff that gets posted here, so I can understand the sentiment to create a dedicated emo thread. But I don't know that there's enough interest to carry a thread that's just about emo from the mid-80s to late '90s. I think an all-inclusive emo thread for (real) emo/screamo/skramz from the mid-80s on could work if people posted enough obscure stuff to make it worth following for people who already know about all the more well-known bands.

I mean, I don't think emo died in the late '90s like Fourfa would have you believe. If you cut it off at 1997, you're missing out on some killer poo poo like Maggat (a German band playing midwestern emo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0dgTpbt4sk

Besides, an emo thread that ignores the era of La Quiete, Off Minor, The Vidablue/Ten Grand, and dozens of other bands from after the late '90s is missing literally more than half of all emo bands. But by all means feel free to start your thread if the mods are cool with it. Maybe there are enough lesser-known bands to post about from that era to make your thread interesting. I'm thinking of stuff like KuKim that I'd never heard of until stumbling onto them about a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUJXCQw4RUY
(Unfortunately, the audio track on that video is actually from the Morgantown Sound Show radio recording that's been floating around).

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Chaos in Tejas roll call!

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

nomapple posted:

e: I am looking at going to Fluff Fest this year because the last couple of years have looked really good, however, I don't actually know that many of the bands so far. I am familiar with Downfall of Gaia, Marnost, Harm's Way, Dangers and Goodtime Boys, but is there anyone else from the first crop of bands that I should be listening to? I'm pretty sure a lot of the bigger names are still to come as last year they had PBTT, Code Orange Kids, Loma Prieta, Defeater & Weekend Nachos amongst others.

Fluff Fest is really awesome, it's great fun and the atmosphere is super friendly. I can say without reservation it's the best fest I've ever been to. I'm not sure how much weight you can put on the last.fm lineup, as they normally announce everything on their Facebook first, and they haven't yet posted anything but the logo.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

a slime posted:

Fluff Fest is really awesome, it's great fun and the atmosphere is super friendly. I can say without reservation it's the best fest I've ever been to. I'm not sure how much weight you can put on the last.fm lineup, as they normally announce everything on their Facebook first, and they haven't yet posted anything but the logo.

One of my friends went last year and said the same thing. As for the lineup, they posted a link from a website that posted the first set of bands a while ago, and Marnost self confirmed on their website. I'm pretty sure they would've said something if a lot of what has been posted so far was unreliable. Unfortunately Comadre cancelled their euro tour so they are no longer on the bill (I assume).

I am really hoping that they book Ampere because I am not super into emo-violence or whatever you want to call the more abrasive screamo stuff, but I am loving the hell out of Like Shadows at the moment. (Yes, I have listened to Orchid, and whilst I like Gatefold, I don't like it as much as Ampere's stuff at the moment).

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

OjaiYoda posted:

if you made that thread i would probably just look at that over this one. i have been going to shows since 2000 so i dont know if its an age thing, but honestly i dont even look at this thread because i dont know or dont care about most of the bands that are talked about. the idea of having a thread with the content you mentioned would be awesome.

Why the hell don't you look into some of the bands you haven't heard of, then? What's the fun in just listening to old music and circle jerking about it?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I would imagine many of us have been going to shows since The Year 2000. Doesn't prevent us from listening to New Music.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

nomapple posted:

One of my friends went last year and said the same thing. As for the lineup, they posted a link from a website that posted the first set of bands a while ago, and Marnost self confirmed on their website. I'm pretty sure they would've said something if a lot of what has been posted so far was unreliable. Unfortunately Comadre cancelled their euro tour so they are no longer on the bill (I assume).

I am really hoping that they book Ampere because I am not super into emo-violence or whatever you want to call the more abrasive screamo stuff, but I am loving the hell out of Like Shadows at the moment. (Yes, I have listened to Orchid, and whilst I like Gatefold, I don't like it as much as Ampere's stuff at the moment).

Just saying, I got burned last year because Circle Takes the Square was on the last.fm page and they later announced they had no idea why and had no intentions of touring Europe any time soon :(

It would be sick if they booked Ampere again! See you there amigo :hfive:

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

Why the hell don't you look into some of the bands you haven't heard of, then? What's the fun in just listening to old music and circle jerking about it?

i would say that at least 80% of the music i listen to on a day to day basis has been made in the last couple years, but having a thread that is based around bands that come from/have a specific sound would in turn be much more facilitating in finding out about new bands that one wants to find out about. for instance if there was a thread where everyones favorite band was Fugazi, then i would post a band like Fell to Low, which would probably get fans of Fugazi excited. I feel like if i posted that here it would just be glossed over. also, i was never a fan of the circle jerks

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Every era/style of emo owns and even the mallcore/scenekid/poppunk bullshit from the early 00's at least had Brand New, Thursday and the first TBS album (shut up, I was like 15-16)

I love the 80s-90s Dischord, 90s midwest, and 00s screamo (or, ugh, "skramz") stuff but modern emo is really killing it lately. I'd support an Emo megathread, but I feel like it might just get confusing between this thread and the scenecore thread.

The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die are playing Bard tonight which is pretty close to me, but the band hasn't gotten back to me on twitter and I can't find a flyer or FB event anywhere, so I have no idea when/where the show actually is. It'd be my 9th or 10th time seeing them too. Saw them a couple weeks ago, new stuff from the LP sounds loving awesome. (I will never not post about this band)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Someone recommend me good current screamo bands to make me feel like it's the early-mid 2000s again. Does this exist (and is not Touche Amore, PBTT, etc)? I've been realizing that a good 90%+ of what I listen to came out before 2008.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Does this classify as screamo? I don't understand genres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE9DHWh3Vhw (The Amity Affliction)

either way, awesome australian band!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

If y'all get a chance to see Recreant on their current tour, take it.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

rivals posted:

Someone recommend me good current screamo bands to make me feel like it's the early-mid 2000s again. Does this exist (and is not Touche Amore, PBTT, etc)? I've been realizing that a good 90%+ of what I listen to came out before 2008.

Barrow, Caravels, Citycop., Mahria, Old Gray, The Reptilian, Shizune, Vales.

Those are a few existing (I hope) bands that I've enjoyed in the past, I left out bands that released stuff before 2008 since I assumed you'd be aware of them; Also this little exercise reminded me that Sed Non Satiata have a new album coming out this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Suis La Lune reminds me Raein, too.