Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
What's everyones thoughts on rushing for the puck and making contact with another player? I knocked three people down yesterday while skating out towards the puck so they couldn't have their breakaway. They each had their heads down every time. I played the puck each time but by the time they saw me, they'd flinch and juke right or left and trip over my pads. It was strange because it seemed half of the skaters thought it was great and the other half was pissed and told me I could hurt someone doing that. I just told them to keep their loving heads up and we wouldn't have that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Honestly I'll go play any puck that I think I have a chance of playing. If a player has their head down while I come out to pokecheck and they slam into me then that's too bad for them. I'm not going to let them dictate the way I play.

I don't yell at skaters that do arguably dangerous stuff near me like swinging sticks at rebounds or whatever unless they're being glaringly dangerous.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 10, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure it takes a steady diet of slashes to keep forwards reminded that goalies are players too.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Not your fault they skate with their head down. If they skated head down in a checking league they would just get leveled. I think that is perfectly fine as that has happened to me a few times. All of the times the skater would actually just ask if I was ok. It's part of the game it shouldn't be a big deal. Unless you're doing something ridiculous like going at the skater and not the puck its normal stuff.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Play the puck. If they have their head down and run into you, that's their problem. Doubly so if they're one of those guys who thinks he's amazing but can't deke unless he's staring at the puck.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
As long as you aren't doing a Hasek slide into them, then I don't see a problem. You have a right to play the puck and players are supposed to keep their heads up, so if they miss you coming to play the puck, then it's their fault.

I had a rough game tonight. We were down 3-1 at the end of the first and I fought hard to keep us in the game going into the third, but midway through the third period, they just seemingly gave up and the other team had an endless stream of breakaways. I'd make the first and a lot of times even the second save, but when no one is backchecking and trying to clear the puck, then there's only so much I can do.

My new team at the Ice Den has their first game this Monday, but since it's a brand new team, I suspect that we're going to have a steep learning curve. Should be a fun experience.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Got blasted on the top of my knee this morning and have barely been able to walk all day - is there anything that anyone suggests other than icing it and taking anti-inflammatories? I've been massaging it a little with this anti-inflam gel too but not sure if stretching it is going to help or what.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

aejix posted:

Got blasted on the top of my knee this morning and have barely been able to walk all day - is there anything that anyone suggests other than icing it and taking anti-inflammatories? I've been massaging it a little with this anti-inflam gel too but not sure if stretching it is going to help or what.
RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, yeah?

NSAIDs (e.g. ibuprofen, tylenol, aspirin) help, but it seems like you already got that covered. Deep massage will help to increase blood flow to the area and help to carry inflammatory chemicals and injury markers away from the site of injury. Not sure how effective it actually is, though...

Otherwise, no. You just gotta wait.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

aejix posted:

I use Bigeloil.

It's made for horses and livestock so just ignore the warning label that says "For animal use only". Works great on sore knees. You can get it at any tack store in your area.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had a decent game today, though the first 3 shots on me were all goals. Thankfully my team kept it close for a while, but I think I was just too damned rusty from not having played any hockey for 3 weeks.

It also doesn't help when your own team scores on you. Had one or our D attempt to deflect a pass from behind the net that wasn't really going anywhere dangerous, he deflected it all right, right between my goddamned legs as I was starting to face the slot. After that we just couldn't get anything going right and we ended up losing 5-2.

Just need to get my head right for the last game of the regular season on Friday because we'll starts playoffs next week and dammit I want to win a damned trophy

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?
I subbed for a goalie today that has more penalty minutes than any other player in the league. :stare: And a three month suspension to boot.

Apparently his demeanor has changed a lot since he's had a kid and has been racking up the infractions. A little while ago there was a fight and he pushed down a ref who was trying to break it up. I don't get that kind of anger.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hazed_Red posted:

I subbed for a goalie today that has more penalty minutes than any other player in the league. :stare: And a three month suspension to boot.

Apparently his demeanor has changed a lot since he's had a kid and has been racking up the infractions. A little while ago there was a fight and he pushed down a ref who was trying to break it up. I don't get that kind of anger.

There's this kid who is the best goalie in our league and he wasn't there the last time we played them and he wasn't there last night. I figured that he had went off to college or they told him he was too good to play in this league. It turns out that at the end of a game, he chased down one of the opposing players, tried to tomahawk a guy over the head with his goalie stick and nearly caused a melee. He also started a brawl a few seasons ago.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

Joey Walnuts posted:

What's everyones thoughts on rushing for the puck and making contact with another player? I knocked three people down yesterday while skating out towards the puck so they couldn't have their breakaway. They each had their heads down every time. I played the puck each time but by the time they saw me, they'd flinch and juke right or left and trip over my pads. It was strange because it seemed half of the skaters thought it was great and the other half was pissed and told me I could hurt someone doing that. I just told them to keep their loving heads up and we wouldn't have that problem.

I do this religiously, and give no fucks if it pisses them off.
I only play goal anymore in a pickup roller session every week, usually the same group of guys with a few new faces every now and then. Some of the guys are really gung ho, they will crash the net and run me the gently caress over if I don't cover a puck instantly after I block it down. Rolling on my pads? I get slashed to hell.

So I started sending the aggression back, coming out to poke check or going into a butterfly right in front of them so they barrel over and I cover the puck. They are used to goalies basically standing still so they can deke once or twice and feel like they are hot poo poo, so having someone who plays the position creates a similar schism. Some love it, some hate it. The defense of one team (light/dark change direction at breaks) is constantly letting up breakaways, and the dark team is used to coming in at full speed and being able to deke it a few times right in front of the crease. Once I started coming out to challenge, more often than not it resulted in me poking it away mid-deke or them running out of room and getting hip-checked into the corner. Most people, including the rink owner, have a "serves them right" attitude but I'll be damned if they don't get all butt-hurt about it every week.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Thanks guys.

Joey Walnuts posted:

I use Bigeloil.

It's made for horses and livestock so just ignore the warning label that says "For animal use only". Works great on sore knees. You can get it at any tack store in your area.

I've been trying to find somewhere that sells Bigeloil here in Aus but no luck. I can get a bottle shipped here for like $50 though. How long does a 14oz bottle last?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

aejix posted:

Thanks guys.

I've been trying to find somewhere that sells Bigeloil here in Aus but no luck. I can get a bottle shipped here for like $50 though. How long does a 14oz bottle last?

The one I've got has literally lasted me 2 years so far and there's still a good one or two ounces left. Doesn't take much.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
It should be a pretty common product, so there should be an Aussie brand that sells that or something similar. Otherwise, it sounds like it has similar ingredients to something like Bengay, Icy Hot, or Tiger Balm. I assume one of those brands must be available in Australia.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Nice. It turns out that one of the guys on my team has a set jerseys. We may not have them for tonight's game, but it would still be a lot easier than sourcing a new set of jerseys.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
My fall leagues started last night!

Kicked it off with a W vs a goalie I play against regularly on my solid Monday night skate. I had a warmup skate for the NHL/Gopher alum skate where I let in the flukiest goal of my life.

Puck shot upper glove hand, I get a piece of it with the tip of the pocket of my glove, deflects and hits the netting at the top of the net where you rest your water bottle, bounced back forward hits my head and goes in.

All I could say is "well I'm glad I got that out of my system early in the season"

It feels good to be on the ice 3x a week again.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?
So I had a shutout last night. Definitely one of my better games, but there was one tiny little asterisk to it.

I still don't understand how neither the refs nor the other team noticed this. I didn't even really figure it out until I started playing it back in my head a few times after the stoppage. I at first played with a steadily growing guilty conscience as I stopped one shot after another, but then decided that it's not my job to fuss over it. I have always refrained from getting involved with the refs over calls, good or bad, so there was no reason to start then and there. It's their job to call the game.

The funny thing was my teammates started letting up late in the third period to screw with me, including several bad breakaways, giveaways, and deflections. And no, that didn't make me mad. They know me well enough to know that I like a challenge, so I was more amused than anything at playing against both teams at that point. In the end, I felt satisfied having 'earned' that shutout. Good thing that wasn't a live cam, though.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

There was one game last season where I was pretty blatantly scored on, the puck came out quick and I scooped it to give it to the ref and he and everyone else set up for a faceoff in our zone. I was so confused. Everyone was right there how could nobody have noticed that was a goal? I was honestly too stunned to say anything before the puck dropped and after that I was like "wellllp ok". We still lost 3-2 so I guess it doesn't matter.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I played back-to-back games last night. The first game, up 6-0, ended 6-6. The second game, up 2-0, ended 2-2.

:smith:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Oi, I've started off my 30s with three rough games in a row. In the first one we played the best team in our league and it was an endless stream of breakaways with minimal backchecking. I'd stop the breakaway and then one or two shots after that, but I just couldn't gain control of the puck and they were able to beat me. The second one was the first game ever with a brand new team and then tonight, I subbed for a team with a short bench and they wore down in the third. It's frustrating, because I've been making some incredible saves over these past few games, but then I nullify them by letting soft goals, though I guess my D turning the puck over in our own zone isn't necessarily a soft goal. One positive from tonight, is that in the third I started working on squaring my shoulders to the puck more and I made 4 or 5 really good glove saves that period. I'm sure I'll get out of this funk soon.

I was also dehydrated as Hell after the game today and even after 4 glasses of a water, a bottle of Gatorade, and even a Frosty my throat still feels dry. I drink a ton of water and I always try to be careful about dehydation, but somehow my body is out of whack today.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't know what is wrong with me. Gatorade is just way too salty/sugary/syrupy and makes me thirsty. I drink too much of it, and I feel sick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I can't drink gatorade during a game. The sweetness/saltiness really makes my stomach churn when I'm working out or playing hockey.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Gatorade from the store is meant to be mixed 50/50 with water when you drink it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Even the single serving ones? Those already seem pretty watered down, but they still make my stomach churn if I've been active :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 16, 2011

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

Even the single serving ones? Those already seem pretty watered down, but they still make my stomach churn if I've been active :(

The 16oz ones yea, Gatorade back in the day tasted much more watered down than it does now. I find myself drinking less if I have my bottle filled 50/50 and cramping less often.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe I'll have to try that, though it's not as easy when the entire bottle is full. Hard to justify dumping half out to fill it with water :smith:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I broke out of my slump today. We ended up winning 9-2 and I prevented the other team from ever really getting into the game. It didn't feel like we faced too many shots, but the other goalie faced like 40-50 shots. He played well and made some nice saves, but there is only so much that he could do.

Martytoof posted:

Maybe I'll have to try that, though it's not as easy when the entire bottle is full. Hard to justify dumping half out to fill it with water :smith:

You could just pour half the Gatorade into another bottle and then water it down. Then you have the other half of the Gatorade for next or after the game.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

titanium posted:

Gatorade from the store is meant to be mixed 50/50 with water when you drink it.

Where did this info come from? I am not sure I believe it...

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Gatorade says not to, but ask any trainer anywhere and that's what you'll hear.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

First game of the season is out of the way.

I am sore.

Good news is that I was moving a lot. Moving a lot more than what I thought I would be doing, and I'm not just saying that because my defense never cleared it.

Back to back double header next sunday. I am NOT ready for that.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So I am starting to realize I cannot recover very well. If I go down I cannot like recover and push to say my left or right. Is this just something I need to practice. I have never had any sort of formal instruction and actually really don't know what I am doing. I watch other goalies and they do all sorts of cool stuff that I have no idea how to do.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I played for the first time in 3 months yesterday. 6 20 minute games in a tournament for a girl's birthday party.

I was AWFUL in the first game, but played much better in the other 5, then went 4/5 in the shootout after the last one.

My legs hurt like hell today.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Surfing Turtle posted:

So I am starting to realize I cannot recover very well. If I go down I cannot like recover and push to say my left or right. Is this just something I need to practice. I have never had any sort of formal instruction and actually really don't know what I am doing. I watch other goalies and they do all sorts of cool stuff that I have no idea how to do.

It's absolutely something you need to break down into its parts and practice deliberately. There's some good youtube stuff out there (some in the OP) and a few DVDs that are well worth the money.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Surfing Turtle posted:

Check out the Corey rogtech videos in the OP. He does a good job of describing the recovery process, and after that it's just practice, practice, practice. There's nothing particularly difficult about it either, you just need skates with sharp enough blades to actually catch ice and push off.

Every warmup I practice my recovery outside of the crease. Just start easy. In your butterfly, turn your head and torso to where you want to go, pick up the leg opposite the direction you want to go and give yourself a little push. It's kind of hard to gauge how high to bring your leg at first, but once you try it a few times you should start to get a feel for it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 19, 2011

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Check out the Corey rogtech videos in the OP. He does a good job of describing the recovery process, and after that it's just practice, practice, practice. There's nothing particularly difficult about it either, you just need skates with sharp enough blades to actually catch ice and push off.

Every warmup I practice my recovery outside of the crease. Just start easy. In your butterfly, turn your head and torso to where you want to go, pick up the leg opposite the direction you want to go and give yourself a little push. It's kind of hard to gauge how high to bring your leg at first, but once you try it a few times you should start to get a feel for it.

I have some sort of idea doing this. You definitely hit it right on the button though with gauging the height. Sometimes I feel like I got it then sometimes I feel like I didn't get high enough to give myself a big enough push.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Two big issues everyone has starting out are making sure the entire length of your blade is on the ice of your push foot and making sure you are transferring/loading weight onto the push leg.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whatever you do, don't bother starting with huge cross-crease pushes. Work on little pushes to get you a few feet. Once you get the hang of those you'll have a pretty good gauge on how much harder you need to push. Also it's much more useful to be able to make small pushes in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Legs update: still hurt.

I can't tell if it's the 3 months I took off, or that fact that I'm getting old.

• Locked thread