Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Cast No Engine posted:

For my money that's the best episode by a longshot.

I listened to Carl Sagan and Jorge Luis Borges episodes first and would like to disagree with you because those episodes are just so good, but I have to admit that the Ben Franklin episode is soooo good. I can't lie, since, as they say, "Honesty is the best policeman."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I really, really hope there's a Jules Verne episode of DAP.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

toanoradian posted:

I listened to Carl Sagan and Jorge Luis Borges episodes first and would like to disagree with you because those episodes are just so good, but I have to admit that the Ben Franklin episode is soooo good. I can't lie, since, as they say, "Honesty is the best policeman."

And don't forget: Crime is money!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Tried listening to Chelsea Peretti's show. Just didn't find it particularly funny. Not worth ragging on, but just wanted to put out a dissenting voice in case others weren't on board.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I don't really like it either, but it's just because I don't really like one person podcasts.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Modern Leper posted:

Tried listening to Chelsea Peretti's show. Just didn't find it particularly funny. Not worth ragging on, but just wanted to put out a dissenting voice in case others weren't on board.

I love Chelsea Peretti but I think her podcast is crap.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think it's weird she has a call-in show when she's (admittedly) awful at small talk, talking with fans, and most other types of social interaction. But I haven't listened yet.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
All I gotta say is that I've got coffee crankin thru my sys

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

All I gotta say is that I've got coffee crankin thru my sys

I loved this part too but I can't turn off a listener interaction-based podcast fast enough.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

The last 2 episodes of the F Plus podcast really knocked it out of the park for me. Chase them up if you want to learn about quicksand fetishists and people who have Falcor and Tommy from the Rugrats living in their head space.

Got to thank these forums for introducing me to it and I can't recommend it highly enough. Here's hoping the new schedule keeps up and I keep getting my bi-weekly dose of terrible things read with enthusiasm.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Remember when CBB tried to do a call-in? That was pretty bad.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Remember when CBB tried to do a call-in? That was pretty bad.

Sure. Lines were all tied up with Mexican babies.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GimpChimp posted:

Sure. Lines were all tied up with Mexican babies.

I think a goat even called in once, ridiculous!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

No they had one or two real call-ins. One was on an ep with Sarah Silverman where some dumb high schooler called in and he talked about how he called one of his teachers a bitch.

e: ep 52 w/ Sarah Silverman, Harris Wittels and Ben Schwartz

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 14, 2012

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah I didn't finish it either. I love Chelsea when she is being natural on Todd Glass or Pete Holmes podcast, or CBB, or whatever. But sometimes she tries to put on a Leggero-like schtick and it just doesn't fit.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

No they had one or two real call-ins. One was on an ep with Sarah Silverman where some dumb high schooler called in and he talked about how he called one of his teachers a bitch.

Yup I remember that one, he talked about how he called his teacher a bitch or something... it was pretty bad.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Pretty sure that was still when it was on indie 103 though, not that the type of caller would be any better now that it's just a podcast.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I don't know, I loved the first episode, but there's the very strong possibility that most of her male callers are going to go the "you're so hot, you're so funny, please bone me" or go full on creepy. I hope LegalZoom does restraining orders.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Did you receive my letter?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Thomas Lennon going to town on that dumb big rock at LACMA on one of the new Pod F. Thompasts is the best.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

I wonder if PFT saved up all these episodes or if he just set aside a bunch of time to record them.

I think he saved them. The next DAP has Matt Walsh as Tolkien, and I remember submitting a question for that DAP several months ago.

E: yep, Feb. 4:

@deadauthorpod posted:

Our great thanks to J.R.R. Tolkien for joining us this evening! (photo: @gurushabd)

Urk! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 16, 2012

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Speaking of DAP the latest with Arthur "Where's My Fooking MONEH!" Conan Doyal was almost as good as Benny B. I hate saying it but most of the episodes I haven't enjoyed that much but this was pure loving gold.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
It's Doyle, heathen.

You didn't enjoy Aesop's "AESOP!" or Jorge Luis Borges' "it's all a labyrinth"? I mean, their episode wasn't the best (for me it's Ben Franklin or Carl Sagan), but it's pretty enjoyable.

Also, it's sad how Doyle, the guy who writes perhaps the most analytic detective actually believes in fairies.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

toanoradian posted:

It's Doyle, heathen.

You didn't enjoy Aesop's "AESOP!" or Jorge Luis Borges' "it's all a labyrinth"? I mean, their episode wasn't the best (for me it's Ben Franklin or Carl Sagan), but it's pretty enjoyable.

Also, it's sad how Doyle, the guy who writes perhaps the most analytic detective actually believes in fairies.

Aesop was above average as far as the podcast has gone but still a big ol meh overall. The cluster gently caress that was Nietzsche and Lovecraft I enjoyed. The thing that keeps me listening is I loving love the concept but it often disappointing. It's the times that they do pull it off that make up for the others. That's me anyway.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Wodehouse's "Mostly beekepers" is the best, heathens.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ograbme posted:

Wodehouse's "Mostly beekepers" is the best, heathens.

The Donkey Tickler. He was just doing his job.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

plastered quack posted:

I think he saved them. The next DAP has Matt Walsh as Tolkien, and I remember submitting a question for that DAP several months

He also used that rich sommers /Loraine Newman sketch, which was recorded at a live show I went to six months ago or so.

And Danny Boy. I was definitely at that show too, but I forget if it was the same one.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

New Dead Authors Podcast is up! Featuring Matt Walsh as JRR Tolkien. I am going to listen to it!

e: speaking of PFT, if you are a fan and have not listened to the Beyond Belief episodes of Thrilling Adventure Hour, you really should. The latest Beyond Belief plopped just yesterday.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 24, 2012

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Is the Superego/Thrilling Adventure Hour "crossover" something you would need to have listened to both shows to really get? I could never really get into Thrilling Adventure Hour before, and same with Superego until this afternoon.

I luckily downloaded Superego season 2 when it was still free, but when i listened to the first episode it did nothing for me. This afternoon i tried again and loved it, listened to probably 4 or 5 in a row. Wish i had gotten season 1 too but if the rest of 2 and 3 are really good i'll probably plop down the 30 bucks for season 1.

Is there any standout episode of TAH I can start with that's extra hilarious?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
The best way to get into Thrilling Adventure Hour is to only listen to Beyond Belief and Sparks Nevada episodes. The standout for me is #70, which is the musical episode, but I wouldn't start with it because the plot wouldn't make sense.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Sparks Nevada has a lot of plot and continuity, so start that one from the beginning. Beyond Belief rarely does. I'd start with 'Teenagers of the Corn.'

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Ah, so the other stuff from TAH isn't worth listening to? I just started listening to Beyond Belief but haven't listened to any other TAH stuff except one episode of Sparks Nevada.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Captain Laserbeam has gotten really good lately with the addition of Phillip Fathom, Deep Sea Detective. The last episode with Dream Girl was the best it's ever been.

Basically everything is worth checking out. I kind of wish they'd release more Ameilia Earhart, Fearless Flyer.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Beeez posted:

Ah, so the other stuff from TAH isn't worth listening to? I just started listening to Beyond Belief but haven't listened to any other TAH stuff except one episode of Sparks Nevada.

Yeah they're all good, it's just that Sparks Nevada and Beyond Belief are the best of the bunch.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The only TAH segment I didn't really care for was the one about the actor in the Creature from the Black Lagoon suit in a murder mystery. Of course, Beyond Belief is the best, hands down.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Fezz posted:

The only TAH segment I didn't really care for was the one about the actor in the Creature from the Black Lagoon suit in a murder mystery. Of course, Beyond Belief is the best, hands down.

The big miss for me has always been Amelia Airheart, Fearless Flyer for me. I'm pretty dissapointed that they don't do more episodes of Moonshine Holler. It's consistently killed me whenever they've done one.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Deadpool posted:

I love Chelsea Peretti but I think her podcast is crap.

After the first two episodes I'm going to have to agree with you.

I'll give it a shot in a month or so to see if she picks it up.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I almost hit the unsubscribe button on Call Chelsea this morning but decided to give it one more chance. It's not terrible, it's just kinda... blah.

Getting very close to unsubscribing to Jake This as well. I love Jake Johannsen's standup but his podcast is pretty boring.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

I almost hit the unsubscribe button on Call Chelsea this morning but decided to give it one more chance. It's not terrible, it's just kinda... blah.

After the first one I intended never to listen again but I forgot to unsubscribe, the second one was a little better and with the third I think she might be getting her legs. I'll give it a few more episodes, I like that she's steering the conversations a bit more now. Overall I have had a few good laughs so far, and I do enjoy her coffee song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
I've liked the second and third episodes of Chelsea's podcast.

She's got some good calls like the guy who texts too much, girl who is being bullied.

Works much better when she directs the caller towards a topic/theme.

• Locked thread