Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How do you keep track of the puck in board battles? Is it just a sixth sense you develop or are there techniques to keep from getting turned the wrong way?

I had a few of them last night and lost the puck every time. I know the puck is still around because people are digging for it, but I was pretty useless because I really had no room to maneuver, much less get a good look at my feet.

Maybe a better goal is to tie up the opponent and hope a teammate shows up to dig the puck out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

How do you keep track of the puck in board battles? Is it just a sixth sense you develop or are there techniques to keep from getting turned the wrong way?

I had a few of them last night and lost the puck every time. I know the puck is still around because people are digging for it, but I was pretty useless because I really had no room to maneuver, much less get a good look at my feet.

Maybe a better goal is to tie up the opponent and hope a teammate shows up to dig the puck out?

i hesitate to bring this up in this thread but that is a time when a cage can get in your way. that said you also do develop a better sense for where the puck is and how you can get it to do what you want it to over time.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Vicas posted:

Yeah that was what I meant, poorly worded.

Anyhow, it should come out if you heat it up with a heat gun.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Chemmy posted:

Anyhow, it should come out if you heat it up with a heat gun.

And it might even re-stick itself if its loose if you heat it up a bit, reset the glue.

If you have a gas oven you can use that, or a heat gun, just be careful not to cook the stick. If you need more glue you can use a bit of glue from a hot glue gun.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Welp, we were only able to get 8 skaters for our Silver B championship. The other, undefeated team had two goalies and around 16 or 17 skaters (some of them not listed on their game roster, hmm), including a couple of former Portland Winterhawks. Needless to say, we lost 9-2 after they scored 4 during a 10-minute automatic nudging from behind misconduct in the first 2 minutes. They had bought a huge trophy for themselves and had it engraved before the game, so that was pretty awesome for them I guess. Pretty fun group of guys but it's getting pretty pricey with less than 10 skaters. Anyone looking to join a decent Silver B team in Oakland next season? I'm also looking to join a second team in a higher league or at a different rink.

Still planning on moving to Sacramento when I'm ready to transfer to CSUS, hope some of you Sac goons can hook me up with a team there at that point!

We're awesome. I'm on the top right:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

sellouts posted:

http://www.iceangeles.com Second news post

I might be there next weekend, need to see.

Did you go? What'd you think?

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Managed to pick up shoulders, gloves, pants and a helmet used from a guy at one of the other local rinks for only $50. The shoulders and gloves are like new, though the pants and helmet are well worn. Even if I end up tossing the pants/helm soon, $50 for shoulders and gloves that fit perfectly and are in great condition is awesome. Getting super stoked for October's clinic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

i hesitate to bring this up in this thread but that is a time when a cage can get in your way. that said you also do develop a better sense for where the puck is and how you can get it to do what you want it to over time.

Maybe I should nag the coach for some corner battle drills. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ploft-shell crab posted:

Did you go? What'd you think?

Yep. Was cool I guess. $20. Maybe 12 people showed? Lots of inside edge and outside edge work, puck handling, and passing. No work on backwards skating weirdly. The last 20 minutes felt like momentum was lost a bit and the same drills were being repeated.

The goalies were absolutely terrible, average skill level was copper/lower bronze I'd say. Felt good to get out there and be knocked down a few pegs trying to be better with outside edges. I would go again.

Amazingly, they had a stick and puck afterwards and not a single person showed up. Seemed like a tragedy.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Ugh, first game of the season yesterday, everyone was out of shape and practice as expected but we lost 7 to 3, other team had a few sandbaggers that shouldnt be in the division.

Other story, at least I had the playmaker, and should have scored once or twice.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

sellouts posted:

Yep. Was cool I guess. $20. Maybe 12 people showed? Lots of inside edge and outside edge work, puck handling, and passing. No work on backwards skating weirdly. The last 20 minutes felt like momentum was lost a bit and the same drills were being repeated.

The goalies were absolutely terrible, average skill level was copper/lower bronze I'd say. Felt good to get out there and be knocked down a few pegs trying to be better with outside edges. I would go again.

Amazingly, they had a stick and puck afterwards and not a single person showed up. Seemed like a tragedy.

Was there too, didn't realize there was a stick and puck afterwards though or I would have gone. Wished it was a bit longer/tougher, it was my first time with a stick in my hands in a while and by the time I felt like I was getting back into the groove it was over. I think I'll probably show up to the one next week.

Was pretty impressed with Vic too.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ploft-shell crab posted:

Was there too, didn't realize there was a stick and puck afterwards though or I would have gone. Wished it was a bit longer/tougher, it was my first time with a stick in my hands in a while and by the time I felt like I was getting back into the groove it was over. I think I'll probably show up to the one next week.

Was pretty impressed with Vic too.

Hard to be tougher when the group can't get through a line of simple slalom drills without them being scattered across the ice.

The previous skill clinic they did there (not run by Vic) was more focused on teamwork / teamplay in the final 25 minutes which I liked more.

The edge drills made me realize that I might not love my FBV sharpening. I love the feeling 4 games into having them, but past that they seem to be a little dull. I might get them one setting sharper before I go back to a traditional hollow.

Jake's in El Segundo charges $8 for regular sharpening and more for FBV. At that cost it will end up being cheaper for me to ship my blades away to get sharpened.

EDIT: Do you play at that rink? Were you in the playoffs today?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had our first game in Silver last night and ended up beating the team who beat us in the Bronze championship a couple weeks ago. :feelsgood:

We made some nice personnel upgrades, especially on D and in goal that played really well. Looking forward to the season!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Fuuuck, I was off the ice and walking to the locker room and I rolled my ankle while still on skates. It hurts to walk now. And I had to carry my bag almost a mile back home, owwwwww. :suicide:

On the plus side I was way better today than last week. I can already feel it coming back. :)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Be a real man and get a wheelie bag. :v:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
But then how would I get all the exercise from going up and down a ton of hills with a bag full of crap?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vicas posted:

But then how would I get all the exercise from going up and down a ton of hills with a bag full of crap?
Wheels don't make the gear weightless. :v:

Also, a local small time university is doing lunch practices now whch means my lunch entertainment just got a whole lot better. :woop:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Vicas posted:

The only solution is a backpack bag that also has wheels on it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Backpack-style hockey bags are the best thing ever.

BAG CHAT

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Why do hockey players put tape over the brand name on their helmets? But not all the places the brand appears.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Because they want their retail helmet to resemble the pro stock ones that the pros wear. Typically on pro stock helmets, the sides and back are blank, leaving just the front logo.

There's cleaner ways to do that other than tape, depending on the helmet. I used a heat gun and a Gamestop discount card to scrape the side decals from mine. I like how it looks.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

shyguy posted:

Because they want their retail helmet to resemble the pro stock ones that the pros wear. Typically on pro stock helmets, the sides and back are blank, leaving just the front logo.

There's cleaner ways to do that other than tape, depending on the helmet. I used a heat gun and a Gamestop discount card to scrape the side decals from mine. I like how it looks.

...and sometimes even the front logo is not there. I don't remember seeing them on the Devils white helmets (but I know the CCM is there on the blacks).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyguy posted:

Very good method. Tape is bush league.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
it's a good method, but ALWAYS be careful applying heat to a helmet. You can very easily compromise the protection.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

JetsGuy posted:

it's a good method, but ALWAYS be careful applying heat to a helmet. You can very easily compromise the protection.

Fun fact: Tape and decals can also void a helmet's warranty. The local youth league here has rules against putting unauthorized decals on helmets for just this reason. The theory is that if you have decals with adhesives that aren't rated for the helmet plastic, the adhesive can compromise the helmet.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

StyleFresh posted:

Still planning on moving to Sacramento when I'm ready to transfer to CSUS, hope some of you Sac goons can hook me up with a team there at that point!

Looks like CSUS has a D3 ACHA team. I'll probably check that out (but only so I can beat up on my SO's alma mater, FSU).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Fun fact: Tape and decals can also void a helmet's warranty. The local youth league here has rules against putting unauthorized decals on helmets for just this reason. The theory is that if you have decals with adhesives that aren't rated for the helmet plastic, the adhesive can compromise the helmet.

Perhaps they should stop making helmets out of salt and toilet paper so that common adhesives no longer dissolve them. :science:

gce
Oct 11, 2004
Anybody get a chance to play with the new Mako line from Easton? I'm thinking about either the M3 or the M5. Also, does anyone know if there's an update to the S19?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

gce posted:

Anybody get a chance to play with the new Mako line from Easton? I'm thinking about either the M3 or the M5. Also, does anyone know if there's an update to the S19?

I think the RS II is the replacement for the S19, or at least the naming of the "Stealth" line has changed and the RS II is the top of it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thufir posted:

I think the RS II is the replacement for the S19, or at least the naming of the "Stealth" line has changed and the RS II is the top of it.
Yeah this is true. The Mako line I believe is a replacement for the EQ line.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

dms666 posted:

The only solution is a backpack bag that also has wheels on it.

I have one of these. :)

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Just got the bad news that our time slot for our Thursday 3 on 3 pickup has been given to a guy who represents more money coming into the rink's coffers. We have been filling this slot for the past 20 weeks, and since this happened two weeks after the rink's programs started, there are no viable alternative slots available.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

Perhaps they should stop making helmets out of salt and toilet paper so that common adhesives no longer dissolve them. :science:

Seriously what the gently caress. Is this one of those things that REALLY happens or just some bullshit warranty thing?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Doctor Butts posted:

Seriously what the gently caress. Is this one of those things that REALLY happens or just some bullshit warranty thing?

I just assume that there are studies showing that *some amount of adhesive chemicals* can have a negative effect on *whatever plastic they use in helmets* over *some amount of time* and so they say that to cover their rear end for the time that one weirdo who covers his 20 year-old helmet with stickers has his skull cracked when his helmet fails.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
At my class right now, sitting out because of my rolled ankle. :(

It does feel a lot better than yesterday, though, so hopefully by next Tuesday I'll be back on the ice.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Thufir posted:

I just assume that there are studies showing that *some amount of adhesive chemicals* can have a negative effect on *whatever plastic they use in helmets* over *some amount of time* and so they say that to cover their rear end for the time that one weirdo who covers his 20 year-old helmet with stickers has his skull cracked when his helmet fails.

It basically comes down to this.

When it leaves their factory, it's in pristine condition. Every hit, every drop, every little thing that happens to it from the moment it's taken out of the box affects it. All they are saying is, "You alter it from factory specs, you must then take responsibility for any/all damages incurred."

It's just a liability issue. They reserve the right to tell you to go gently caress yourself, if/when you decide to customize your helmet; by cutting out large portions of it, using heat to damage the shape of the plastic or get pissed that you can't remove the "pedo bear" sticker you placed on it and threw it against a wall.

However, if you wish to use it the way they intended, they will normally have some form of protection program.

Motorcycle Helmets are very similar. :cheeky:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My past 2 helmets have been pro line Bauer and Reebok helmets and I never have a problem with the adhesives holding in the padding. The padding is also not that foamy stuff, I have the black molded foam inside, and then the thin leatherish stuff against my head.

Each helmet has had about 2-4 years of use and still fit fine without any foam falling out or adhesives giving way.

But I do remember the old days with my CCM helmet and the tan foam pieces would constantly fall out after about a year or so.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Verman posted:

But I do remember the old days with my CCM helmet and the tan foam pieces would constantly fall out after about a year or so.

Mylec Goal pad foam would turn to gloop when sweat touched it. Once it dried, it would crumble from a gentle breeze.

Thank gently caress for progress.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Verman posted:

My past 2 helmets have been pro line Bauer and Reebok helmets and I never have a problem with the adhesives holding in the padding. The padding is also not that foamy stuff, I have the black molded foam inside, and then the thin leatherish stuff against my head.

They've come quite a ways with the glue in the helmets over the last 10 years or so. My first Bauer 5000, and the second one I had (one of the first if not the first helmet with the solid foam and the gel pads) was pretty bad, the glue would losen up during play, and at the end of the game some of your hair would be stuck in the glue, and after a while a lot of people had problems with the pads falling out.

Now even the classic style foam stays put pretty easily, I've gone back to using the 4000/4500 for the last 5 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

D C posted:

They've come quite a ways with the glue in the helmets over the last 10 years or so. My first Bauer 5000, and the second one I had (one of the first if not the first helmet with the solid foam and the gel pads) was pretty bad, the glue would losen up during play, and at the end of the game some of your hair would be stuck in the glue, and after a while a lot of people had problems with the pads falling out.

Now even the classic style foam stays put pretty easily, I've gone back to using the 4000/4500 for the last 5 years or so.

This is exactly why I got rid of the helmet I had used since high school. Then I got my friend's old 7500, and the pads started falling out a couple years after I had it. So far with my new 7500 I have not had any issues, but it is less than a year old.

Except for the 27 concussions I have from using a cage.