Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

10 Beers posted:

Since the pandemic in the US seems like it's never going away, my wife and I have been looking for new stuff to do together. We came up with the idea of making a loaf of bread a week. We've made tons of no-knead stuff, but would like to do something a bit more advanced. Thought I'd ask for some recipes. We'd like to do different styles and types, just nothing crazy hard, and something we can make in a weekend. Anyone got any suggestions?

I really like these rolls :

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pull-apart-sour-cream-and-chive-rolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Apparently we're making these next weekend! Thanks!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

10 Beers posted:

They’ve become a holiday standard for me now. There’s a couple YouTube videos of people making that might be helpful too.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

10 Beers posted:

So am I and some soup to go with it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How is the famed no knead dough from that NYT article not mega over proofed if you let it sit out for 18 hours+

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Beyond pizza, I started on bread with John Kirkwood's ciabatta. It was also a good intro into lean doughs too. Ciabatta cares a lot less about being perfectly formed too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Goodpancakes posted:

How is the famed no knead dough from that NYT article not mega over proofed if you let it sit out for 18 hours+

Most of my no-knead breads use just a little bit of yeast and with so little mixing the gluten really can take that long of a time to form. The mechanical action of kneading really does speed up gluten formation, and the small starting amount of yeast means it takes a while for the yeast to get going too.

The King Arthur oat loaf I made up thread is no-knead! It's another easy crowd pleaser too.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

It only contains a little bit of yeast, like 30% of "normal" bread. I make only no-knead bread as I like the taste and chewiness of the slow ferment.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Temp dependent too.

My last sandwhich loaves took 26 hours to ferment at room with 20% starter and half a tsp of instant. Range from 55 to 66 degrees. Salt had a lot of impact vs the potential of a starter or other preferment.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Decided to break out of my comfort zone and try to move on my sourdough game. I've done the same sourdough bread recipe over and over, 57% hydration and 30% starter. Last week I did 70 hydration and 10% starter and it came out great, no issues with handling the dough etc. This week I tried for 80% hydration, and the dough was much harder to handle, flattened out a lot in the counter proof, I actually reshaped it right before going into the oven. It actually came out fine but I forgot to cut it, which probably limited it's growth and spoilt the experiment a bit. My starter also didn't float, I think it might be too hydrated even though I've been keeping it 50/50, perhaps it's my flour. Maybe that doesn't matter and the yeast functions the same, just betting wet the air bubbles can escape and stop it floating?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Decided to break out of my comfort zone and try to move on my sourdough game. I've done the same sourdough bread recipe over and over, 57% hydration and 30% starter. Last week I did 70 hydration and 10% starter and it came out great, no issues with handling the dough etc. This week I tried for 80% hydration, and the dough was much harder to handle, flattened out a lot in the counter proof, I actually reshaped it right before going into the oven. It actually came out fine but I forgot to cut it, which probably limited it's growth and spoilt the experiment a bit. My starter also didn't float, I think it might be too hydrated even though I've been keeping it 50/50, perhaps it's my flour. Maybe that doesn't matter and the yeast functions the same, just betting wet the air bubbles can escape and stop it floating?

I’ve never done the float test but I use an all rye starter and it apparently doesn’t work as well with it

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've only ever done a float test by accident when I dumped my starter into my water.

But y'all can start talking...

...because I'm all ears:

:smug:

Changed my shaping procedure. Preshape on counter, rest for an hour, then flip over, fold like a taco, hold for a few sec, then into banneton. Inspired by a post on the 'gram saying that if the flour is good and strong, one doesn't need to fold so aggressively.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m seeing if Clint Yeastwood is still kicking after spending the better part of a year neglected in the back of the fridge. There were some signs of life after the first feeding, so if it revives it’ll be made up of some resilient stuff.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Not sourdough, but made some nice no knead focaccia and a very good sandwich

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dacap posted:

Oh man I haven’t made that for ages. It’s SO GOOD. I’m drooling enviously. I absolutely love focaccia.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dacap posted:

this is straight up art...tasty, tasty art.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love focaccia but I always end up making too much and it rapidly declines in quality past the first day.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have been making focaccia with the flour salt yeast recipe, and since it starts with a poolish it stays nice in a Ziploc bag for about three days. I just came to post that I made a successful loaf for a friend, and at the same time made dough and separated it into a larger focaccia portion and two pizza portions. I'll make pizza tomorrow for the first time, I'm really excited about that. Focaccia day is Tuesday.

Since I moved to a well insulated house in Denver, temperatures are a lot more consistent inside then they were in silicon valley. I'm at 70-72 degrees at all times but yeast acts weirdly and large bubbles are more likely to form, making the crust more likely to lift off the bread a bit at the top which can burn when you toast it.

I still never see "a few bubbles every few seconds" or wherever the wording is, when checking to see if my poolish is ready. I time them and today I saw about the most I've ever seen, seven bubbles in one minute. It works pretty great though so, whatever. I'll try to remember to post pics later

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ok, so here's the bread I made with the FWSY poolish white bread recipe. It was just half the amount, put into a loaf pan:

The poolish for both was the same, so I made a full amount and split it in half. First half was combined with bread flour for the loaf above, second half was combined with all-purpose for the pizza below:

I made the meat lover's pizza from FWSY with the smooth sauce, made with a cast-iron pan. I had a large piece of dough left for focaccia and a smaller piece for another pizza. Both went in the fridge along with more sauce. The pizza was thicker than I prefer and the sauce (probably due to not being whole tomatoes, it was crushed tomatoes, I hosed up the order) was waterier than I wanted but it tasted great and was a successful first ever pizza.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dacap posted:

extremely nice sandwich, time to make some focaccia

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I figured out from some commercial-grade recipes that I don't run the mixer long enough to fully knead my dough. I had recently gone from three minutes to four when I should be in the 8-10 minute range.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I figured out from some commercial-grade recipes that I don't run the mixer long enough to fully knead my dough. I had recently gone from three minutes to four when I should be in the 8-10 minute range.

I usually do 5, 1 lamination and 4 coil folds

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think I've been overproofing my loaves for like two years straight. Went with what I thought was definitely 'under' (though still right on with the poke test) and this beautiful baby came out of the oven

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm not a baker of breads but I have a question as I try to become one:

is bake temp and duration for a given loaf of bread always dependent on the dough? Like if I'm doing the KA NOLA roll and it calls for 375F for 30 minutes but this recipe from Richard Eaglespoon calls for 500F for 12 minutes can I just use the higher temp for less time?

E: did some experimenting and did one the high temp way:

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 20, 2022

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Uhhh, folks? I may be getting the hang of this:

Seriously, I've been doing this since March of 2020 and all of my rustic hearth loaves have been incredibly inconsistent, and have been tending towards flatter and flabbier, in recent months.

If you've been having issues with oven spring, I cannot stress enough that the technique in this recipe (https://www.seriouseats.com/simple-crusty-white-bread-recipe) has completely changed everything for me. The holy trinity of autolysing, ultra-gentle folding, and a final proof in the refrigerator have changed my hubcaps into this.

Still have a ways to go, but I almost jumped up and down with excitement when I pulled this bad boy out of the oven.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Heck yeah that looks amazing. Nice job.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i don't have the best equipment for baking bread but i make do. so whenever i make a hearth loaf i have to do it in a lidded aluminum stock pot with a heavy baking sheet on the bottom rack below it to prevent scorching.

but the last few loaves i've made have ended with the flour from the proofing turning an unappetizing yellow colour after the bake. i've adjusted the amount of time i leave the lid on but it doesn't seem to work super well. is it because i proof my loaves in a metal bowl instead of a banneton maybe?

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Daughter made banh mi rolls in the Anova Precision Oven for sandwiches tonight using this recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FduMMBM-dQ&t=543s

Finished sandwiches in the dinner thread.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Anova Precision Oven

I would like to know more.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

Basically, a smart home combi/convection oven. We used it first as a proof box by setting it to 90F for the rise and then later baked the bread with steam. It also has a probe thermometer that you can use to see what your food temp is at. We cook a lot so we can justify the counter space for essentially a second oven, but I feel it has been well worth the $600 price tag.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I was looking into a new microwave / oven combination thing and most were around 500~600, one was 1000. What made the 1000 one special? Steam option.
Before knowing steam ovens are a thing, I did not needed this in my life. Now I do.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
This is basic bitch poo poo, but any tips on the KA sourdough pizza recipe? I mixed for seven mins in my kitchenaid and let it sit for 4 hours. Got a pretty lovely rise and almost no gluten development.

It was a low-effort midweek meal, so I hand-kneaded, let it rest a few minutes while I made the sauce and baked even though it wasn't shaping super well. I'm assuming just more kneading up-front probably would have helped?

Tastes great and I'm keen on recipes that knock down my supply of sourdough discard, but very conscious it could have been better. And this seems like one I could dial in over time.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
This is not an answer to above, but a question: I have a kitchenaid mixer and it claims that you only need to knead the bread for a short time and never over level 2 (lol, I thought it was 'never over level 3', oops). but all of these master bakers are like 'mix on medium!' or 'mix on high!' in their bread books. Does anyone here use a kitchenaid mixer for mixing bread? If so, any general advice or guidelines? I've decided to move over to mixer-only in my breads since I have the mixer and the dough hook and I can't be arsed to do it by hand, and so far it's worked out pretty well. I've been using 5 minutes mix one or 2 minutes dough hook on speed 3 for the Flour Water Salt Yeast stuff, but according to this that is wrong and too long at too high a speed:
https://producthelp.kitchenaid.com/...s_-_Stand_Mixer

edit: I did notice that if you use the mixer blade and scrape the bowl down a couple of minutes in, it gets mixed but it doesn't look like a nice ball of dough. Then I put in the hook and after a bit it either starts sticking only to the bottom and forming a ball around the dough hook sort of, or with one dough it didn't stick to the bottom much at all and formed a nice ball. So you can see the bread dough being shaped nicely by the dough hook. I suppose I need to start doing the windowpane test too. I also suppose this is one of those 'you'll know the feeling/look of it when you get it right and do it long enough' things.

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 20, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

redreader posted:

This is not an answer to above, but a question: I have a kitchenaid mixer and it claims that you only need to knead the bread for a short time and never over level 2 (lol, I thought it was 'never over level 3', oops). but all of these master bakers are like 'mix on medium!' or 'mix on high!' in their bread books.

They may be assuming a commercial mixer. I have an ancient Hobart 20-quart I bought off Craigslist over a decade ago because I kept destroying bread machines and mixers. It has three speeds, which I find pretty consistent among commercial mixers:

Speed 1: One revolution every two seconds. This is for initial stirring.
Speed 2: One revolution every second. I read in the manual this was the recommended setting for kneading dough. I believe this is the same rotation speed as a speed 2 on a regular household Kitchenaid, and also the one in their manual they recommend for kneading dough.
Speed 3: Two revolutions per second. This is for whipping and whisk work.

Fun fact: You'll find on the old ones that these speeds aren't in order on the transmission. There's a clutch internally that's changing the speed between two different gears. So speed one is just the clutch disengaged. Speed two has the clutch grabbing the lower gear, and speed three has the clutch grabbing the upper gear. This is a really robust design with one ceramic worm gear as a protector in case you accidentally try to tell the mixer to mix your forearm.

I figured out that I was underkneading at 4 minutes for most of my breads and pizza doughs and I should have been kneading more like 8 minutes this way. I just tried 10 minutes with some more kneading after a cold ferment for a high-hydration dough (nearly 90%). Increasing the knead time greatly improved the crust and skin but it's clear to me it could have been worked more. I have had to conclude that I don't think I can use it for small, single batches of high-hydration dough since I don't think there's enough volume to kick around. So I'll fall back to the Kitchenaid for those. I don't expect the KitchenAid will wear down doing wet doughs because it's basically stirring porridge. Single batches of less-hydration doughs come together and roll fine in the Hobart, and of course there's the eight pizzas I do sometimes.

I was watching some videos about mixer kneading recently and have something of a personal hypothesis: it's really head to overknead bread dough--especially high-hydration dough. However, it's easy to warm up the dough too much from the friction of mixing and cause problems that way. There's a reason those super-left-brain dough planning applications factor heat in to mixing. So I'm turning towards refrigerating my dough for a bit and then putting the reins to 'er.

redreader posted:

edit: I did notice that if you use the mixer blade and scrape the bowl down a couple of minutes in, it gets mixed but it doesn't look like a nice ball of dough. Then I put in the hook and after a bit it either starts sticking only to the bottom and forming a ball around the dough hook sort of, or with one dough it didn't stick to the bottom much at all and formed a nice ball. So you can see the bread dough being shaped nicely by the dough hook. I suppose I need to start doing the windowpane test too. I also suppose this is one of those 'you'll know the feeling/look of it when you get it right and do it long enough' things.

I've been lead to believe for the wet doughs that you can tell you're getting there when the dough hook starts to pull the muck from around the sides of the bowl on its own. I never saw this with what I made and is one reason I'm not convinced I fully kneaded with the mixer yet.

Chad Sexington posted:

This is basic bitch poo poo, but any tips on the KA sourdough pizza recipe? I mixed for seven mins in my kitchenaid and let it sit for 4 hours. Got a pretty lovely rise and almost no gluten development.

It was a low-effort midweek meal, so I hand-kneaded, let it rest a few minutes while I made the sauce and baked even though it wasn't shaping super well. I'm assuming just more kneading up-front probably would have helped?

Tastes great and I'm keen on recipes that knock down my supply of sourdough discard, but very conscious it could have been better. And this seems like one I could dial in over time.

Come play in the pizza thread if you want to nerd out on that stuff. The KA recipe calls for the all-purpose flour. My opinion is all-purpose is a little short on gluten for Neapolitans and definitely too short if you're trying to do a New York pizza. I just bought a 50# sack of Pillsbury All-Trumps which has something like 14.7% gluten. I can't tell the impact of this yet since I haven't busted into it yet, but I was previously bumping my gluten into the 14-15% range with vital wheat gluten. That had a definite positive impact on hand stretching. I can draw out the dough further and thinner without it tearing.

I can't speak to the yeast quantity with teaspoons and all. I can say that for my typical pizza that I'll have 220g of flour and 2g of yeast. For the whole batch, I add an unscientific glob of sourdough starter. The gold standard in the pizza thread is the Kenji New York pizza recipe. That would be more like 3g for the same but without a sourdough starter.

The popular ferment for pizza dough is a cold ferment though. If you have the space, I'd recommend forming individual doughballs and refrigerating them for a day and upwards of a whole week if life gets in the way. Then let the balls warm to room temperature for an hour or two before pulling and baking (no rest after pulling; it should be good-to-go).

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 31, 2022

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you don't get a dough in the KA to release after a few you really need to scrape and fold as well. That hook just kisses the top

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody here had any luck making a sandwich roll meeting this criteria:

1. Lean dough.
2. Some level of higher hydration. Like, 70% or higher.
3. A shape that isn't a flaccid lump that you call "ciabatta" as a consolation to yourself.

And bonus points if you did all the kneading with a mixer because that's currently my life.

My wife wants sandwich rolls for the weekend based off the Dutch oven loaf I made that I stirred the poo poo out of. Or rather, "kissed the top of" as remarked below (because it was true in my big mixer):

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

If you don't get a dough in the KA to release after a few you really need to scrape and fold as well. That hook just kisses the top

What's funny is it took me three reads to realize you were talking about KitchenAid and not King Arthur flour.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i need the best lame. not a good lame, not a great lame. the best.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

I have a kitchenaid that I use for pizza dough. I make somewhat big batches else the hook will not knead it properly, so 750gr of flour, 500gr of water, 10gr of dry yeast and 15gr of salt. This is mixed with the hook for about 10 minutes, stopping the mixer to take the big hunk of the hook a few times and to check if it is too wet or too dry, often it is too wet and I add a spoon of flour. I use 1 or 2 and sometimes a bit in between. Let rest for 10~15 minutes, divide in 6 equal balls and give it 90~120 minutes to rise. I sprinkle it with a bit of flour and cover with a kitchen towel.
Spread by hand, not roll, although this takes some practice and I still cannot do it well.

For sauce I use this recipe:
a bit of olive oil
2 Garlic cloves
little bit of red pepper flakes
28oz can of whole San Marzano tomatoes
half tsp of dried basil
one tsp of dried oregano
half tsp sugar
Preperation:
- put all ingredients in blender, puree and set aside until used. Make it when you are done with the dough so it can sit for a bit.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m seeing if Clint Yeastwood is still kicking after spending the better part of a year neglected in the back of the fridge. There were some signs of life after the first feeding, so if it revives it’ll be made up of some resilient stuff.

Picture posting isn’t working on the app, but 4 feedings got the starter back to normal after 10 months of neglect in the fridge. Very happy with the oven spring it got out of some old flour as well.

The bread was good, but the KA sourdough biscuits were better. Incredibly flaky and unfussy to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I think I'm getting the hang of this: