Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

oldswitcheroo posted:

Not necessarily. As populations shift around over a decade, gerrymandering can become less and less effective. Who's to say that lines drawn in 2010 will be a "good" gerrymander by 2018? The more careful and byzantine the gerrymander the more prone it is to losing its effectiveness over time.

I don't think it's very likely, at least, to flip the house. It's looking like that it will be the first mid term's of a democratic president which would just structurally make the republicans the favorites too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
You know, with the GOP convention in June, Dems may be wisely served to hold a majority of delegates open til the convention.

That way, if the GOP chooses Ted Cruz, they have no excuse but to nominate someone better aligned with current base priorities.

Then again, Hillary still has this magnetism among many progressives somehow.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 13, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Not only does a gerrymander become less effective over time, but they amplify the effects of a wave election against the gerrymandering party.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Not only does a gerrymander become less effective over time, but they amplify the effects of a wave election against the gerrymandering party.

Yeah, if the goal is to maximize your number of congressional seats, you do that by drawing the districts so that "your" districts have the smallest margins that you would consider "safe" (let's say a 6-7 percent advantage for your party for example) and pack the other party into the smallest number of districts where they have an overwhelming majority.

The problem is that this does yield you the largest possible seat advantage, but by cutting the margins closer to get more seats, a lot of those districts can go the other way if a "wave" causes people to go against your party for an election or two.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, your next President:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A2IXsB7C0Q

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I don't think it's very likely, at least, to flip the house. It's looking like that it will be the first mid term's of a democratic president which would just structurally make the republicans the favorites too.

It's what happened in 2006. When a gerrymander breaks down it breaks down hard. Plus to have a chance in 2022 they'll have to have won in 2020.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SedanChair posted:

It's pretty relaxing that Clinton is inevitable because we can really criticize the poo poo out of her. But uh, let's go ahead and track down somebody who was overtly pro-marriage in, say, 2012. Somebody qualified, I mean.

Lets get a black-hispanic lesbian with a French-Aljerian wife. Bonus if they leaned Mandarin so as to culturally bond with their adopted Chinese baby. I want to see how many levels of insanity lie beyond black man in the White House.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

That article also quotes Andrew Sullivan who does a good job of summarizing the "political windvane" argument as well as some of the other noxious stuff the Clintons presided over.

I'm sorry, is it this Andrew Sullivan to whom you are referring?

Andrew Sullivan in 2003 posted:

You’re welcome. And as I read this and other Iraqi blogs written by people who lived under a kind of terror that we in the West have no way to understand or truly empathize with, I feel a lump in my throat. I am so proud of the country I was born in and the country I have made my home. I have never been prouder to be an Anglo-American, to have done in our time what so many before us have done – to broaden the possibilities of liberty, to bring hope, to restrain the violent men and evil ideologies that are each generation’s responsibility. The men and women in our armed forces did the hardest work. They deserve our immeasurable thanks. But we all played our part. By facing down the evil, the cowardly and the simply misguided, we have done a great good.

edit: which hunt successful

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 14, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Andrew Sullivan is such an rear end in a top hat. He loves to "just ask questions" about scientific racism too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Andrew Sullivan is such an uncle tom he penned a big harumphing poutfest about the Mozilla thing within a day of the guy leaving about how basically we're the real oppressors by having opinions, as an openly gay man.

The racism and everything else is just a cherry when he literally doesn't even understand his own civil rights movement, let alone anyone else's.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't he also like hide the fact that he was HIV+ on a gay hook up site?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Whenever I see or hear Andrew Sullivan my brain refuses to do anything except shut itself down. There is no reason to ever quote him to support your argument unless your argument is "Andrew Sullivan sucks, and here's why".

e:

notthegoatseguy posted:

If this is true then that's a new low, even for him.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 14, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

notthegoatseguy posted:

No, he advertised on a bugchaser site.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The third annual Mitt Romney conference on Republican leadership is this weekend. Presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney, Rand Paul, Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, Mike Huckabee, and Brian Schweitzer attended. Jeb Bush had a scheduling conflict.

quote:

“Somebody here needs to start a ‘Draft-Mitt’ movement,” Joe Scarborough, the MSNBC host, told guests on Thursday, according to someone who was there. Another said Mr. Scarborough compared Mr. Romney to Winston Churchill, who lost his seat in Parliament before returning to power at the outbreak of World War II, when his warnings about Nazi appeasement proved prescient.

"We shall fight as missionaries in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans in our yachts, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air in our private jets, we shall defend our private island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches of La Jolla, we shall fight on the golf course grounds, we shall fight in the vineyard fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

nyt posted:

A rare Democrat in attendance was Brian Schweitzer, the former governor of Montana, who noted, “There’s not a single vote for me in the building.” (Mr. Romney, one guest said, yelled, “Go down to the press room — they’ll vote for you!”)

So... does this mean that people will stop hoping that he'll run for president?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Never.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Come on Rand Paul, Chris Christie, and Jeb Bush, join me on the draft Mitt bandwagon!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm in favor of drafting Mitt, because it will be hilarious to watch him lose either another primary, or another general election.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

While we're on the subject, I had some insight into the robotic emotional processing unit of the Mittster recently. I live in Southeast Michigan, his childhood stomping grounds, and work on the fifteenth floor of a tower. I was admiring the view of metro Detroit and noticed that the trees did indeed look to be a uniform and aesthetically pleasing height.
I finally understood his "right height" comment, and realized that this top floor office kind of view is just how he experiences everywhere. :stonk:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I miss good ol' Mitt with his folksy charm and easy rapport with salt of the earth types. My two favorite examples:

- deriding the cookies from a local baker (and job creator) as off the shelf from 7-11

- going to a NASCAR race and relating to fans by saying he knew a lot of the team owners

Please run again, Mitt. Show us that we must have learned our lesson and we're now ready to accept the stern guidance of a rich white man who truly knows what's best for us.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Hillary Clinton is holding a town hall via CNN this Tuesday.

http://hillarytownhall.tumblr.com/

quote:

Hillary Clinton is no stranger to tough questions. Now it’s your chance to ask her anything.

Click on the ‘ask a question' button and send us your text, image and video questions.

Christiane Amanpour may ask yours during Tuesday’s live town hall at 5pm ET.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Pretty sure this may be the point where Politico et al stop running dumb "Why is Hillary afraid to jump in the race stories"...

and starts running dumb "Why is Hillary running so early" stories.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

oldswitcheroo posted:

Not necessarily. As populations shift around over a decade, gerrymandering can become less and less effective. Who's to say that lines drawn in 2010 will be a "good" gerrymander by 2018? The more careful and byzantine the gerrymander the more prone it is to losing its effectiveness over time.

Who's to say all the Chinese won't move out of Chinatown in less than 10 years?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

Inertia.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

dilbertschalter posted:

probably because he's not particularly smart compared to most politicians of similar stature (and certainly not compared to obama and hillary).
Get Biden talking about foreign policy in an unscripted situation, and not talking while he's just pressing the flesh or politicking, and you get a glimpse of the mind underneath. I'm not sure he's the brightest guy to ever sit in the line of succession, but I'm quite sure he's considerably brighter than he lets on or than he is portrayed as. He's also one of the only politicians who comes right out and admits that he did something stupid without couching it in a bunch of rhetoric, which is something I've always liked about him. There's also a list of things I don't like about him, but I've been unable to not-support him dating back at least a decade (in spite of some of his infuriating political moves such as bankruptcy "reform" as the Senator from MBNA, which was disgusting).

Nth Doctor posted:

While we're on the subject, I had some insight into the robotic emotional processing unit of the Mittster recently. I live in Southeast Michigan, his childhood stomping grounds, and work on the fifteenth floor of a tower. I was admiring the view of metro Detroit and noticed that the trees did indeed look to be a uniform and aesthetically pleasing height.
I finally understood his "right height" comment, and realized that this top floor office kind of view is just how he experiences everywhere. :stonk:
This is the kind of insight I read for - thank you!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FAUXTON posted:

Laugh it up, a lot can change in ten years. Go back to 98 and ask people how likely it would be for a black Democrat to win Virginia in a presidential election.

edit: Or to use a district example, instead of a state example, Charlie Rangel's Harlem district was just barely plurality black after 2010 redistricting, there's no way it will be anything but plurality/majority latino by the time 2020 rolls around.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cliff Racer posted:

Laugh it up, a lot can change in ten years. Go back to 98 and ask people how likely it would be for a black Democrat to win Virginia in a presidential election.

Considering they'd elected a black Democrat governor 9 years prior, you probably wouldn't get the answer you were expecting.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Hillary Clinton is holding a town hall via CNN this Tuesday.

http://hillarytownhall.tumblr.com/
Wow, I guess she's too dead broke to buy a custom Tumblr theme for her blog.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

comes along bort posted:

Considering they'd elected a black Democrat governor 9 years prior, you probably wouldn't get the answer you were expecting.

True enough, but note that I specified a (black) Democrat in a presidential election. Virginia had gone Republican the previous 8 times and, though they did not go for Goldwater they had been voting Republican since 1952 otherwise. Do you think that the state's future presidential voting history is going to look anything like that? Its tilting/leaning D and only going more in that direction over time.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Nth Doctor posted:

Of course Romney would admire the uniformity of artificially planted monoculture forests.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FAUXTON posted:

This is really reductive, and not really what he was saying at all. The core of a "Chinatown district" might not change that much over the course of 10 years, but the edges of it could change quite a bit. Maybe gentrification forces some of those Chinese people partly into another district and more whites to show up along one of the edges. That kind of change in population makeup could impact the effectiveness of the gerrymandering.

The fact is that gerrymandering is a response to population makeup at a certain point in time. So in the year where it's enacted it matches as best as it will ever will, but that doesn't mean that it will continue to match over time as people move around. Yeah, maybe some districts do mostly stay the same. Maybe others change quite a lot. In the aggregate I don't see how it's disputable that the effectiveness of a certain set of gerrymandered districts goes down over time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
More of Brian goes to Mitt:

quote:

“I don’t know why you lost the election, Mitt, but I know this: I was watching you on TV and I didn’t see the Mitt Romney that I knew,” Schweitzer said. “You are a fun guy and you’re easy-going and Obama is not. I’ve been in the room with him a little, too. He’s stiff as a board and you’ve got it going on.”
In his remarks, Schweitzer said, “I wasn’t a supporter of the Affordable Care Act.” He criticized Obama’s signature health-care law for catering too much to the insurance and pharmaceutical industries.

Schweitzer made clear that, if he runs in 2016, he would go after Clinton for her Senate vote to authorize military action in Iraq — a vote Clinton writes in her new book, “Hard Choices,” that she got wrong.

“I wouldn’t have voted for that drat war in Iraq and I wouldn’t vote for the next one, I’ll tell you that,” Schweitzer said. “I know too much about the Middle East to put another dime or another son in that war or any of those places.”

Schweitzer also was critical of Obama’s approach to energy. When a donor asked what he thought of the administration’s energy policy, Schweitzer quipped, “There is not an energy policy.” He said he believed human activity was contributing to climate change and, believing his remark would be controversial with his crowd, said, “Go ahead, throw something at me.”
As soon as his speech finished, Schweitzer made a beeline to the press work area to ask reporters how they thought he performed.

The Democrats have their own Rand Paul now!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ErIog posted:

This is really reductive, and not really what he was saying at all. The core of a "Chinatown district" might not change that much over the course of 10 years, but the edges of it could change quite a bit. Maybe gentrification forces some of those Chinese people partly into another district and more whites to show up along one of the edges. That kind of change in population makeup could impact the effectiveness of the gerrymandering.

The fact is that gerrymandering is a response to population makeup at a certain point in time. So in the year where it's enacted it matches as best as it will ever will, but that doesn't mean that it will continue to match over time as people move around. Yeah, maybe some districts do mostly stay the same. Maybe others change quite a lot. In the aggregate I don't see how it's disputable that the effectiveness of a certain set of gerrymandered districts goes down over time.

In 10 years?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FAUXTON posted:

In 10 years?

Yes. Remember, most gerrymandered districts aren't packed to 80/90 to one party, they are 53% to 55% one party districts surrounding that packed in group. I look at places like, say PA's 7th and 8th districts and have trouble seeing them as being plurality Republican in 2020.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Joementum posted:

More of Brian goes to Mitt:

The Democrats have their own Rand Paul now!

You do know that he proposed Single Payer in Montana after the ACA passed, right?

He's "not a fan of Obamacare" in the same way a good chunk of the progressive left is: that it didn't go far enough.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

You do know that he proposed Single Payer in Montana after the ACA passed, right?

He's "not a fan of Obamacare" in the same way a good chunk of the progressive left is: that it didn't go far enough.

I was comparing him to Rand in that he's clearly running against the party orthodoxy, but is all over the map about it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary on books:

quote:

What are your favorite novels? Your favorite short stories? Poems you hold especially dear?

“The Brothers Karamazov” made a lasting impression on me when I read it as a young woman; I intend to reread it this summer to see what I now think about it.

Would actually be interested in an honest update on her thinking about that book and how her experiences have changed her understanding of it. Unfortunately, we'll never, ever know because, as the interview continues...

quote:

And the best books about Washington, D.C.? Is there one book you’d recommend to someone planning to move to or work in the capital?

“Our Divided Political Heart,” by E. J. Dionne, shows how most everybody has some conservative and liberal impulses, but just as individuals have to reconcile them within ourselves, so does our political system if we expect to function productively.

:barf:

quote:

If you had to name one book that made you who you are today, what would it be?

At the risk of appearing predictable, the Bible was and remains the biggest influence on my thinking. I was raised reading it, memorizing passages from it and being guided by it. I still find it a source of wisdom, comfort and encouragement.

Which books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?

You might be surprised to see memoirs by Republicans such as “Decision Points,” by President George W. Bush, and “Faith of My Fathers,” by Senator John McCain.

:laffo:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

This isn't true. 2010 ensured that there are around ~175-185 districts that are so deep red that even in a wave elections, the democrats have zero chance at winning them.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

mcmagic posted:

This isn't true. 2010 ensured that there are around ~175-185 districts that are so deep red that even in a wave elections, the democrats have zero chance at winning them.

You can't magic up votes; either you increase your margins in your current seats or you try to get more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

You can't magic up votes; either you increase your margins in your current seats or you try to get more.

And that amplifies wave elections, how?

• Locked thread