Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It's extra insane because they have a Windows tablet app. https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/14/instagram-now-has-an-app-for-windows-10-tablets/

(It's bad on mouse/keyboard, so traditional PCs are not what it's there for. There's literally no way to scroll through multi-photo posts without a touchscreen.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can anyone recommend an app that mimics the bokeh effect on Plus iPhones?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have issues with video calling after updating to the latest Hangouts? When I finally updated I got a problem where the other person's video would go black after being in a call for a second, and they wouldn't be able to see me. Happening on both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 on all the latest software. It's working on my MacBook Pro in Chrome, though.

Since the update has been out for a month without amendment, there must not be any showstopper bugs affecting huge numbers of people. But I have no idea.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can anyone recommend an app that mimics the bokeh effect on Plus iPhones?

I'd be interested if you find one. The only ones I have just do depth of field stuff.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

The iOS 11 Podcasts app is a giant step back. :( Any suggestions for best podcast app for binging back catalogues of serial fiction? Basically whatever's easiest to go to a podcast and tell it to play in order starting with episode 1.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“Kazy”" post="“476472637”"]
The iOS 11 Podcasts app is a giant step back. :( Any suggestions for best podcast app for binging back catalogues of serial fiction? Basically whatever’s easiest to go to a podcast and tell it to play in order starting with episode 1.
[/quote]

Seriously. I like the look of it but I feel like 25% of the options were cut. It’s also really dumb that now you have to either 3D Touch or press through two screens to start one now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LOL if you're not using Overcast.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kazy posted:

The iOS 11 Podcasts app is a giant step back. :( Any suggestions for best podcast app for binging back catalogues of serial fiction? Basically whatever's easiest to go to a podcast and tell it to play in order starting with episode 1.

Overcast can do this, plus it has good EQ for voice boost and smart speed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Truth

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Currently use iCatcher which is great and has these options. Also used to use RSS Radio which is extremely flexible but had some crashing issue on my iPad that may or may not have been fixed by now.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Pocket Casts 4 lyfe

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

bronin posted:

Pocket Casts 4 lyfe

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does overcast have per-podcast speed settings? There are some that I want faster and others slower and it seems pocketcasts doesn't remember them.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TraderStav posted:

Does overcast have per-podcast speed settings? There are some that I want faster and others slower and it seems pocketcasts doesn't remember them.

Yep

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Do any of these alternate podcast apps integrate with the iTunes podcast library on my desktop?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Kins posted:

Do any of these alternate podcast apps integrate with the iTunes podcast library on my desktop?

No, but I think most of them have webplayers. Overcast definitely does.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

No, but I think most of them have webplayers. Overcast definitely does.
It's more that I prefer to manage all my media on my PC, including the types of media (books etc.) that iTunes literally just updated and removed the ability to manage. Ugggh.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
My one complaint with Pocket Casts is that it's really, really picky with authenticated RSS feeds. I got to take a Patreon one eventually, but it still won't take the Hardcore History shop one. Anybody have a solution to that?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Any recommendations for a replacement for the iBooks app? I'm messing around with Documents by Readdle and it seems decent for PDFs, but the ePubs I tried don't display in a dual-page view in landscape mode like iBooks and Kindle do, and that kinda sucks.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that I'm not looking to annotate stuff or whatever. Just read stuff.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 17, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I noticed a bit ago that Spotify does podcasts now too. No killer features (smart speed, or even increased playback) but hey if you really wanted an all in one music and podcast desktop app then well.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

Any recommendations for a replacement for the iBooks app? I'm messing around with Documents by Readdle and it seems decent for PDFs, but the ePubs I tried don't display in a dual-page view in landscape mode like iBooks and Kindle do, and that kinda sucks.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that I'm not looking to annotate stuff or whatever. Just read stuff.

Give Hyphen a shot.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hyphen-ebook-reader-for-epub/id1024204679?mt=8

You might still want something else for PDFs, though?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

~Coxy posted:

Overcast can do this, plus it has good EQ for voice boost and smart speed.

Okay I must be stupid because it just skips to the newest "unplayed" episode after playing an old one, which means I can't go back and re-listen easily.

I don't want to have to gently caress around with playlists, I just want to go "play this podcast starting from this episode"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I noticed a bit ago that Spotify does podcasts now too. No killer features (smart speed, or even increased playback) but hey if you really wanted an all in one music and podcast desktop app then well.

Spotify only does podcasts on the phone, not iPad or desktop, their catalog is more limited than what you'll find in Apple Podcasts or Overcast, and you can't add your own RSS feeds.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

The Kins posted:

Marvin.

I go through book reader apps like this thread goes through podcast app cycles and nothing compares to Marvin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kazy posted:

Okay I must be stupid because it just skips to the newest "unplayed" episode after playing an old one, which means I can't go back and re-listen easily.

I don't want to have to gently caress around with playlists, I just want to go "play this podcast starting from this episode"

Change the sorting to "Oldest to Newest". It defaults to "Newest to Oldest". I think this is what you want?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Posted this in iPad thread, but it might get more visibility here:

Craptacular! posted:

My Pro 9.7 has a powerful battery, but YouTube seems to kill it.

Opened the lid last night and saw 98% battery played a video, used slide over to set a 1.5hour timer for Stop Playback. Sure enough, after 90 minutes the video stopped playing and the screen turned off. Went to sleep, woke up to find 43% battery, which iOS 24 hour battery report listed as 99% YouTube and 1% Siri and no other apps, with 90 minutes of screen on time and about 10 hours of background activity.

I've turned off YouTube's background refresh and reset the tablet. Hope that fixes it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Endless Mike posted:

Change the sorting to "Oldest to Newest". It defaults to "Newest to Oldest". I think this is what you want?

I did this, but if it's a podcast I've already listened to once, it just jumps to the first unplayed episode after I play an older one instead of the next episode in the list.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kazy posted:

I did this, but if it's a podcast I've already listened to once, it just jumps to the first unplayed episode after I play an older one instead of the next episode in the list.

You probably have to mark the ones you want to hear again as unplayed or something.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I use the Spotify app for podcasts even though it's comically awful, but having music/podcasts in one app is convenient.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Kins posted:

Assuming you have files that aren't available as a RSS feed, no podcast client I've seen will help you there.

I gave up and made a fake XML file so I could subscribe to it and get them into Overcast that way.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'd love a guide for setting that up if you have a handy reference. My googling is failing me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Does Apple Music in iOS 11 bring back the alphabetical scroller in album view?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Weedle posted:

Does Apple Music in iOS 11 bring back the alphabetical scroller in album view?
You mean the letters on the right edge? It does on my iPad.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You mean the letters on the right edge? It does on my iPad.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Could you check in the Albums view on your phone? It drives me nuts that iOS 10 hides it in the one place where it would be most useful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does this show you what you need?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looks the same as that screenshot on my iPhone 5S running ios10.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Could you check in the Albums view on your phone? It drives me nuts that iOS 10 hides it in the one place where it would be most useful.

I have it on mine and I'm definitely running iOS10. It looks identical to the screen shot above.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Kins posted:

I use the Kindle app for books. I like it and it the books stay in sync between my phone, Kindle, Kindle on my PC, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does this show you what you need?

Yes, thanks. This is what I was hoping for.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looks the same as that screenshot on my iPhone 5S running ios10.

That's bizarre. I don't have the scroller and it's a huge pain in the rear end.