Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PMush Perfect posted:

Parado can stay dead for all I care, but Poppy deserved better.

Okay, I take that back, I love Parado, but still.

We already have seen him in the movie, but Parado is going to have to be willed back to life just because he got the sacrificial death that Taiga was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rvm
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

I write shockingly little about Bioman

Well, you should fix that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kamen Rider Movie Wars Heisei Generation Dogs featuring Cats is a movie I am ready for.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

That's not Emu's animal though

https://twitter.com/arindesu/status/867357219485958145

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/k_p_world/status/899586293188902913

Stop touching his tail you doofus :allears:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Ignis posted:

That's not Emu's animal though

Emu took half the series to get that haggard, and he still sometimes acts like a little white dog

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

So someone translated the first chapter Kamen Rider Kuuga manga that started a few years back and is written by Toshiki Inoue of all people. It's... a thing. We've got a pretty boy Ichijou who freaks out Josuke from Jojo style when people say he should cut his (not even bottom of neck length) hair, and then: Is investigating a serial killer who stuffs people full of gunpowder and blows them up while still alive. It turns out to be some guy who's got Two-Face style burn scars over one half of his body who sacrifices people to the "fireworks goddess" that is a piece of ginseing root he carries around. Ichijou arrests him, and when the perp tries to commit suicide by biting off his own tongue, Ichijou responds by kissing him and... sucking all the blood and tongue out so he can't choke on it? I don't even.

If it weren't for like... ten percent of the chapter involving the Grongi in other stuff, I probably couldn't even tell it was a Kuuga manga.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Inoue gonna Inoue

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder

Inoue has a track record of writing sexual assault and literal rapists into children's media.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People on this thread talk about that guy like your newspaper should release a news story if he moves into your neighborhood, but I look at his Wikipedia page and see the rough-draft version of YuGiOh and the Death Note anime and Zyuranger and Timeranger.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

People on this thread talk about that guy like your newspaper should release a news story if he moves into your neighborhood, but I look at his Wikipedia page and see the rough-draft version of YuGiOh and the Death Note anime and Zyuranger and Timeranger.

He did the original YuGiOh rough draft, the one that was made of murder games and had Yugi as a psycho monster. See Death Note, which he just adapted.

ZyuRanger is not well liked for its script work or story.

TimeRanger was just that, rough draft, and it's arguable that Time Force took many of the ideas and did them better with the inclusion of Ransik, but that's mostly because Americans deal with racism more than Japan does. And by that I mean, actually confronts it more instead of just...being Japan.

Inoue pure strain? Jetman, where the Black Ranger is drat near a sexual predator.

Fiaz

Literally rape once he got out of the restraints of TV.

His entire run of Kamen Rider- the same drat cliches and lack of effort over and over and over and over again

Inoue is a hack who can spin gold out of other people's ideas, or is capable of being salvaged into gold from other people.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Burkion posted:

He did the original YuGiOh rough draft, the one that was made of murder games and had Yugi as a psycho monster. See Death Note, which he just adapted.

TimeRanger was just that, rough draft, and it's arguable that Time Force took many of the ideas and did them better with the inclusion of Ransik, but that's mostly because Americans deal with racism more than Japan does. And by that I mean, actually confronts it more instead of just...being Japan.

Inoue pure strain? Jetman, where the Black Ranger is drat near a sexual predator.

Fiaz

His entire run of Kamen Rider- the same drat cliches and lack of effort over and over and over and over again

Inoue is a hack who can spin gold out of other people's ideas, or is capable of being salvaged into gold from other people.

Yeah, I'm one of the very few fans of Kiva and ...80% of Faiz (can't stand Jetman, find Agito very heavily flawed), and I know how bad Inoue can get (Faiz novels). I just brought up the Kuuga manga because while I was expecting something off-tone and characterization, I was still vaguely amused by how bizarre of results it turned out. Timeranger is primarily Yasuko Kobayashi, and not Inoue (Inoue only wrote three episodes out of fifty), though, and Zyuranger is someone else.

He still wrote almost all of the astoundingly awful early Heisei Rider movies though.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 23, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
And I'd say Zyuranger has perfectly fine writing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also Zyuranger has like none of the usual Inoue cliches and Yu-Gi-Oh was accurate to the manga which at that point had absolutely presented Yami Yugi as some kind of dark cackling ironic revenge spirit. who ends up lighting multiple people on fire

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Also Zyuranger has like none of the usual Inoue cliches and Yu-Gi-Oh was accurate to the manga which at that point had absolutely presented Yami Yugi as some kind of dark cackling ironic revenge spirit. who ends up lighting multiple people on fire

Also, Inoue got writing credits for exactly one episode of Zyuranger. Most of it was the head writer, Noboru Sugimura.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Well he didn't write rape into this series" is not a very good defense.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blockhouse posted:

He also electrocuted some people and put Kaiba in a coma. Early Yu-Gi-Oh was loving rad before it all became about the card game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

deadly_pudding posted:

He also electrocuted some people and put Kaiba in a coma. Early Yu-Gi-Oh was loving rad before it all became about the card game.

It never stopped being rad :colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

To be fair, Yami usually only punished those who deserved it in some fashion but yeah, early Yu-Gi-Oh involved a lot of different activities at first (the title literally means "King of Games" after all) but then at some point the Duel Masters card game invented by the manga got super popular and ended up taking over the entire franchise.

It's still entertaining for the most part but it's not quite as interesting as the original concept made it out to be. Speaking of which, read the original manga if you haven't already as the anime (both of them) toned things down considerably (and that's just talking about the Japanese version).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 23, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gourdcaptain posted:

can't stand Jetman

My dude! Give me a high five

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

While Jetman had some neat concepts, Gai and the whole love triangle thing really put me off on the series and makes it difficult for me to muster the interest to rewatch it (that and the fact that I hate nearly every member of the team except Ako and Raita).

Ryu is also one of the worst reds I've seen in Sentai, though the top pick still remains Takaharu from Ninninger ("What is this 'team' you speak of?"), Geki from Zyuranger is up there as well.

Their commander was pretty cool though (she was basically a 6th Ranger without a suit, even getting a chance to pilot the mechs on more than one occasion).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 23, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In a series where character interactions were completely based on how everyone wanted to bone Kaori, Ako just wanted her cash.

She's the best Jetman.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

gourdcaptain posted:

He still wrote almost all of the astoundingly awful early Heisei Rider movies though.

Did he write the Agito movies? I mostly liked the Agito series, but I watched the first movie and Project G4 recently and while the latter had good moments, both were so outstandingly slow. I'd forgotten how different early Heisei Rider is from what we have today.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I could write a thesis paper on why and how I don't like Jetman.

Maybe literally.

Like, to cut everything else out, to get to the core of the matter- Jetman was promised to me and built up as something it was not.

For years it was the sentai I wanted to watch the absolute most because I liked the suit designs, I loved what I heard about it being a serious and intense show, and I liked the IDEA of the ending when I was younger.

As I grew older the ending repulsed me more and more, but the central villains still looked great and their actual designs were iconic.

And then I watched it. I almost wish it was just self parody like it really, really tries to be. It's not though.

In between all of the self parody and lovely monsters- where, I will note with total seriousness, the GOD OF NOODLE CUP MONSTER is no less serious or legitimate a threat than any other monster in that block of episodes and the entire episode is just loving boring and nonsensical, you have screeching, preening, utter and complete melodrama with a capital melo.

The entire team except for Gai is utterly incompetent, Blue and Yellow get by mostly because they don't do poo poo and Yellow is taken advantage of every step of the game.

Gai is simultaneously the best and worst character, because in poo poo like the loving bus episode, which might be one of my most hated episodes in all of Tokusatsu, he is the greatest thing. He has no dialogue, and he just looks miserable to be involved with these morons. You really emphasize with him.

And then he tries to get handsy the Pink Ranger in an elevator and we get a whole loving thing with that.

It has no idea what it wants to be, the monster designs are garbage cheap looking pieces of poo poo, especially early on when most of them are 'parts of some random object attached to generic green monster limbs' and none of the cast that does anything are likable. Also the villains are utter incompetents who some how constantly forget that the Jetmen can and will bungle their way into their plans without wanting to and I'm not even sure what some of their plans were even for.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Just looked up the ending of Jetman.

:stare:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Did he write the Agito movies? I mostly liked the Agito series, but I watched the first movie and Project G4 recently and while the latter had good moments, both were so outstandingly slow. I'd forgotten how different early Heisei Rider is from what we have today.

He did in fact write Project G4. It's weirdly enough one of my favorite parts of Agito in a so-bad-it's-good way as it's so astoundingly ridiculous. See the crazy military lady who keeps her soldiers killed testing a ludicrous deathtrap of a power armor suit bodies frozen near the front entrance to her base. That has got to be horrible for morale. :P (Best parts of Agito are Gills.)

Burkion posted:

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything in your longer post, although I'll note that Gai is both the worst part and one of the better parts of the series for me because on the one hand, he's absolutely horrible, on the other hand, I found Jetman so astoundingly boring most of the time I at least wasn't bored when he was being awful. That doesn't make it a good move for the show, though. (Other best part is Emperor Tranza, because I could watch Beauty Beast Kemp from Liveman's actor play almost any villain and be riveted to my seat.) The ending is just baffling, on top of the Gai bit it just feels like the villains die because the show ran out of time. In general, the villains are completely incompetent and not in a fun or interesting way.

The Noodle Monster is so freaking ridiculous it's one of the most memorable parts of the show to me and I can't really hate it for that.

EDIT:

Blaze Dragon posted:

In a series where character interactions were completely based on how everyone wanted to bone Kaori, Ako just wanted her cash.

She's the best Jetman.
Agreed. Now only if she got to do anything for most of the show.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 23, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jetman is also more or less a live action remake of a 70s anime called Gatchaman (right down to the Black Ranger dying in the end) only with mechs and face covering helmets. There was even a non-canon Jetman manga set after the series (which itself is worth a read if only for how loving weird it gets) where the influence from said series was even more obvious.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 23, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.powerrangersnow.com/power-rangers-reaches-new-viewership-lows/

So this is only semi-related, but the newest episode of Power Rangers Ninja Steel had below 1 million viewers, which is not only the first time, but marks the lowest ratings for the show since 2011 when Saban bought back the license. The show has basically been hemorrhaging viewers, with an approximate 75% drop in ratings in 6 years. As far as I can tell, there are at least three factors in play:

1. The quality of the show itself. Neo-Saban Power Rangers is homogenized, samey, bland, and just plain boring. There's nothing setting each season apart except for the costumes and it's just uninteresting.
2. The Nick-mandated mid-season hiatus. Every time this happens, the viewership drops like a rock and never fully recovers, which leads one to wonder why the gently caress Nick is still making them do it.
3. Power Rangers has some terrible brand presence right now. Pretty much everything they're putting forward in merch is MMPR nostalgia (and the movie earlier this year) with barely any focus on the actual Ninja Steel stuff.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

1. The quality of the show itself. Neo-Saban Power Rangers is homogenized, samey, bland, and just plain boring. There's nothing setting each season apart except for the costumes and it's just uninteresting.
2. The Nick-mandated mid-season hiatus. Every time this happens, the viewership drops like a rock and never fully recovers, which leads one to wonder why the gently caress Nick is still making them do it.

These two together have to be doing some serious damage. I hated the poo poo out of Super Megaforce, but I tried to watch it if just for the Gokaiger footage and I ultimately never finished it because while I can tolerate watching a poo poo show week to week, I am not going to try and keep track of it when it disappears for months at a time for no discernable reason. Was there ever a reason given for the hiatus? Doesn't it end up getting shown ahead of time anyway in France or Spain?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.powerrangersnow.com/power-rangers-reaches-new-viewership-lows/

So this is only semi-related, but the newest episode of Power Rangers Ninja Steel had below 1 million viewers, which is not only the first time, but marks the lowest ratings for the show since 2011 when Saban bought back the license. The show has basically been hemorrhaging viewers, with an approximate 75% drop in ratings in 6 years. As far as I can tell, there are at least three factors in play:

3. Power Rangers has some terrible brand presence right now. Pretty much everything they're putting forward in merch is MMPR nostalgia (and the movie earlier this year) with barely any focus on the actual Ninja Steel stuff.

Yeah, the only Neo-Saban show with any quality at all to it is Dino Charge, and that's mostly because that one had a mostly decent cast and was gloriously insane at points. (And it still had major issues.) And those hiatuses have to be killer, and I wonder why half the shows I like anymore have such awful scheduling (I'm looking at you, Steven Universe).

Also, because I mentioned above I like 80% of Faiz, I'll just say the main reason for it is that Takumi Inui is legitimately my favorite main Rider of all time. He's good on a first watch, but on a rewatch when you know he's an orphenoch with deep self-loathing issues on top of that it adds a lot of value to a lot scenes as you can realize a lot of the undercurrent behind his actions is rooted in that and the timing of his mood swings tends to be linked as well. I also kind of love the utter fail of the villains, but that's because Smart Brain is run by Orphenoch supremacists who muscled their way into their current positions by removing the previous president, have absolutely no idea what they are doing as enemy commanders or company leaders, subscribe to a very stupid bigoted ideaology, and Murakami has so little pull on his main underlings they just screw around at a bar 90% of the time. They're still dangerous despite this as their flailing attempts at villainy kill people and damage lives.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It says a lot about Faiz when the most competent villain in the series is also the Secondary Rider (I did kind of like the Orphenoch trio though and Takumi himself does grow on you eventually).

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

It says a lot about Faiz when the most competent villain in the series is also the Secondary Rider (I did kind of like the Orphenoch trio though and Takumi himself does grow on you eventually).

Yeah, to quote a friend of mine, Kusaka is the real big bad of Faiz. Props to Kusaka's actor, he plays that utter irredeemable scumbag well. I like the Orphenoch Trio, although Yuka is horribly handled by the series after the early episodes. (Kamen Rider #4 is a favorite special of mine for giving some form of closure to Faiz's mess of an ending, and part of why it works for me is they have Kaido there for someone else from Faiz for Takumi to interact with. Plus, it makes a plot point out of how baffling the ending is and how Takumi's status as alive or dead is really ambiguous and confusing.)

Pretty much the worst part of Faiz is anything involving Delta or the Orphenoch King.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Delta is still one of the coolest suits of the Heisei era, which makes its ultimate irrelevance all the more painful.

Saya was a pretty cool character too, for what little we saw of her.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Delta is still one of the coolest suits of the Heisei era, which makes its ultimate irrelevance all the more painful.

Saya was a pretty cool character too, for what little we saw of her.

Agreed. Shuji Mihari, by comparison, is such an utter waste of a Rider that I don't even remember to include him in my list of completely useless Riders for comparisons (Scissors from Ryuki, the Hopper Brothers from Kabuto, Amazon NEO from Amazons are the big ones.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

Agreed. Shuji Mihari, by comparison, is such an utter waste of a Rider that I don't even remember to include him in my list of completely useless Riders for comparisons (Scissors from Ryuki, the Hopper Brothers from Kabuto, Amazon NEO from Amazons are the big ones.)

I'd put the Decade version of Kuuga on that list as well, there are several episodes where he seems to just forget he's a Kamen Rider (not that he's usually all that helpful when he does join the fight though) and the way he's portrayed is honestly kind of insulting to the original character at times (then again he was only one of that show's many problems).

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

I'd put the Decade version of Kuuga on that list as well, there are several episodes where he seems to just forget he's a Kamen Rider (not that he's usually all that helpful when he does join the fight though) and the way he's portrayed is honestly kind of insulting to the original character at times (then again he was only one of that show's many problems).

He at least helps with problems resolved by talking, so he's more useful than those guys.
Not by much.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
On the plus side of Decade Kuuga, he got to be three different Riders from three different series (Kuuga, Den-O, and G3) so that's kind of cool.

Faiz's "phone dating" relationship between Yuka and Keitaro (or was it Kentaro, Blade had one and Faiz had the other) was the dumbest thing. It was mostly believable up until the episode where they're sitting beside each other at the same table, texting each other right beside each other, and then Keitaro does the thing Yuka told him to do in the text (put his arm around her), and still neither one of them realized it was the other for twenty more episodes after that.

And of all the terribleness that Heisei vs. Showa had in it, the absolute worst was that it had Takumi say that Kusaka was his friend and that he was responsible for Kusaka's death, neither of which are remotely true.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Fiaz

To be fair the part of Yu-Gi-Oh the original adapted was also about Yugi doing murder games. People forget the card game came like four volumes in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

On the plus side of Decade Kuuga, he got to be three different Riders from three different series (Kuuga, Den-O, and G3) so that's kind of cool.

Faiz's "phone dating" relationship between Yuka and Keitaro (or was it Kentaro, Blade had one and Faiz had the other) was the dumbest thing. It was mostly believable up until the episode where they're sitting beside each other at the same table, texting each other right beside each other, and then Keitaro does the thing Yuka told him to do in the text (put his arm around her), and still neither one of them realized it was the other for twenty more episodes after that.

And of all the terribleness that Heisei vs. Showa had in it, the absolute worst was that it had Takumi say that Kusaka was his friend and that he was responsible for Kusaka's death, neither of which are remotely true.

Hell, Takumi wasn't even present for Kusaka's death in the series proper, they just made a whole new scene for the movie for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

To be fair the part of Yu-Gi-Oh the original adapted was also about Yugi doing murder games. People forget the card game came like four volumes in.

You are right, that is another notch we can take off of Inoue's belt.

That just about leaves the rape and the horrible cliches! Mazel tov!

• Locked thread