Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Grey Hunter posted:

What pools?

At last, the Allied strategy is revealed: "They can't keep sinking our ships if they don't have any planes to sink them with!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Might be a good idea to split your planes in Burma between Rangoon, Pegu, and Moulmein. Those three bases are close enough that CAP originating in one should be able to support another, and if they crater one airfield, it won't shut down your defense. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket, etc.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Acebuckeye13 posted:

At last, the Allied strategy is revealed: "They can't keep sinking our ships if they don't have any planes to sink them with!"

In response, Japanese high command decides to stop producing planes in order to devilishly foil the Alllies' strategy.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Grey Hunter posted:

What pools?

That's what I suspected. (Unless I'm misreading this and you're asking an honest question - in which case I was asking about your replacement aircraft pool, not pilots). This could hurt a lot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gnoman posted:

That's what I suspected. (Unless I'm misreading this and you're asking an honest question - in which case I was asking about your replacement aircraft pool, not pilots). This could hurt a lot.

If GH doesn't get his pools situation fixed, this is just the beginning of the overwhelming tide. In a couple in-game years the Allies will be capable of raiding with literally hundreds of planes at a time.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Leperflesh posted:

If GH doesn't get his pools situation fixed, this is just the beginning of the overwhelming tide. In a couple in-game years the Allies will be capable of raiding with literally hundreds of planes at a time.

So GH has a couple IRL years to fix this, no worries.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Ancillary Character posted:

So GH has a couple IRL years to fix this, no worries.

:suicide:

Maybe in a month or two if we're lucky. Probably not at all. He's a busy man these days. It has to happen fast.

And a good thing that, it's been getting boring watching him just win (I thought he'd lose the first Japan game, but that he'd win this one, but neither by so much).

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
He has been stemming the tide more then winning, if the invasions had not been disasters then maybe...

But that's kind of the best you can hope for with the Japanese if you aren't gaming the AI.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I never set out to game the ai. I like a challange and think sub optimal playing is more fun

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I never set out to game the ai. I like a challange and think sub optimal playing is more fun

I'd hardly say you're making optimal use of your subs.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

GH speed runs WWII.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Liberators continue to hit our airfield.

Losses continue to be heavy.

I need to move these ships.

I'm shifting as many plans as I can out of Rangoon, its not safe there now.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

The post in which we learn Grey finally has Kamikaze capability

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I hate the Swordfish.

After moving my planes, I activated them, and ordered some revenge.

There are only fighters and damaged airframes here now.

This plane was half dead before this.

This is a big raid.

That's dropped our plane losses a bit! And I'd rather be losing planes in the air than on the ground – at least that way they can be doing something.

I'm a little suspicious about this one!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

whitewhale posted:

He has been stemming the tide more then winning, if the invasions had not been disasters then maybe...

But that's kind of the best you can hope for with the Japanese if you aren't gaming the AI.

Winning by points that is.

GH, when you win the game in 1945 from double points most likely, or from points or nukes by 1946, will you hack the game to fight till the bitter end? I want to see how many carriers you can sink and A-bombs you can shrug off!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Grey is probably not winning the game. It turns quickly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

pthighs posted:

Grey is probably not winning the game. It turns quickly.

He'll win in the sense that the game is 'won' by the Japanese player if they outdo the historical Japanese, I think.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My subs do something, and hit a loaded troop ship!

The bloody Swordfish hits one of our ships.

We have to clear some Chinese from Sinyang, but crossing the river makes for an automatic shock attack.

Our planes have another go at Akyab, and get butchered by the Allied fighters.

Its time to put our guys back on the defensive I think.

We somehow bring down a Liberator. At this point I have to assume the shell hit the cockpit while the pilot had the window open making obscene gestures. I don't think anything less than that level of luck can hurt them.

This is a bit of luck as well.

Carrier! Carrier! Carrier!

A brutal day in the air, but the main thing is can I catch that carrier? I'm sending the Kiddo Butai out, but I'm only expecting a CVE – no point in getting over excited.

I think I win on this one!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is that the first Hellcat we have seen?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
inb4 GH stumbles into a bunch of fully-loaded Essexes

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh boy. Hellcats.

"Okay, the Wildcat's okay, but the Corsair's taking too long. Why don't we just shove a bigger engine on the Wildcat as a stopgap and see what happens?" *Destroys entire Japanese air force*.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Night10194 posted:

Oh boy. Hellcats.

"Okay, the Wildcat's okay, but the Corsair's taking too long. Why don't we just shove a bigger engine on the Wildcat as a stopgap and see what happens?" *Destroys entire Japanese air force*.

There's no replacement for displacement.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

Dad?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

I'm now interested in what would happen if we put modern performance car engines in WWII fighters.

Or at least piston engine planes with car engines.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
25 planes ain't many. Can you fly hellcats from a jeep?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Dreamsicle posted:

I'm now interested in what would happen if we put modern performance car engines in WWII fighters.

On a quick comparison, the most powerful car engine I can find is the 1,200 horsepower engine used in the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport, World Record Edition. The Merlin 61 engine used in P-51 aircraft could hit 1,580 horsepower. It is almost certain that improved engine design could result in more powerful piston engined aircraft, but just dropping a modern car engine in would probably not result in better performance.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Dreamsicle posted:

Well for starters, they wouldn't fit, since car engines don't translate well to aircraft engines. But even if you could, they'd be hideously underpowered. The Bugatti Veyron, for example, is famous for having ~1000 horsepower. The Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp in the Hellcat makes about double that.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dreamsicle posted:

I'm actually studying piston engines right now so I can shed a little light on this.

A common way of evaluating piston engines is the brake mean effective pressure (BMEP), which is the power per engine revolution divided by its displacement. Typical values for this are 6 - 18 (atm/bar), with 6 being more reliable engines and 18 being turbo race engines.

Using the values in Wikipedia for the double wasp (and assuming the radial engines are 4-stroke) the BMEP is about 7 bar.
The same calculation for the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport the BMEP is about 10 bar.

So if a modern double wasp was made to the same performance per displacement as a Bugatti it would make about 2200 kW or 3000 hp.

Looking at a max performance it could make 3700 kW or 5000 hp. (This motor would need to be rebuilt every 50-100 hours or so probably)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You'd have stupid problems with airflow, no?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Guys. We have turboprops now.

Slap one of those on a bearcat.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You eventually run into the old problem of trying to avoid your props ripping themselves to poo poo whatever happens.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I've always wondered what would happen if you just swapped jets in place of piston engines (where the airframe makes this structurally possible). I assume nothing good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gnoman posted:

I've always wondered what would happen if you just swapped jets in place of piston engines (where the airframe makes this structurally possible). I assume nothing good.

There was an early Yak that did that as a test plane if I remember, I don't think it went well.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Night10194 posted:

There was an early Yak that did that as a test plane if I remember, I don't think it went well.

As in it didn't function properly, or that they never found all the scattered bits and pieces?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-15

It just kind of sucked and was lame.

The Swedes also had the Saab 21R, which was much cooler.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

25 planes ain't many. Can you fly hellcats from a jeep?

Yes, but it was difficult and was only done occasionally, usually in "composite" groups where Wildcats and Hellcats were in the same squadron together.

Wildcats were still better for jeep carriers because they were lighter and worked better with a jeep's short flight deck and lower sailing speed. The FM-2 model was specifically designed to help.

goatface posted:

You eventually run into the old problem of trying to avoid your props ripping themselves to poo poo whatever happens.

Wasn't this a problem with the F-35 where the tips of the vertical fan engine were going fast enough to overheat?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I hope you crash on your way home you bastards.

I'm mainly interested in the large number of task forces to the south.

The enemy carrier hits our forces – I had assessed our battleship to damaged to risk at the high seas, so she has done a good amount of damage before this happened. A true hero of the navy!

Our carriers catch some loaded troopships on their way down to hunt the enemy carrier.

I need to kill that carrier now. For honour!

So far only the cruiser is down.

Still alive, and less badly damaged than I remember.

Our troops sneak in and take another base deep in China.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

28 June 1943

Italian cruiser Bari, sunk in Livorno Harbor by US aircraft. Bari had an interesting history, originally being ordered by the Imperial Russian navy from the German Shichau-Werke yard (shout out to the SW folks from TriggerHappyPilot's RTW LP) in 1913 under the name Maraviev Amurskyy. Launched shortly before the outbreak of World War I, she was instead commissioned into the German navy as SMS Pillau along with her sister SMS Elbing. A veteran Jutland, among other battles, Pillau was ceded to Italy as a war prize in 1920 and modernized in the early '30s. During World War II, she supported Italian forces in and around Greece with shore bombardments. At the time of her sinking, she was scheduled to be converted to an antiaircraft ship.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I see that battleships are continuing their sterling record as mobile reef production vessels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Poor Agano. Such a pretty boat.

Not a useful boat, but pretty.