Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Azram Legion posted:

I hope you didn't read me as being critical of your post. I'm just really struggling to keep a positive outlook on the election, and seeing how much of that list is about "returning to a less lovely situation", rather than "moving to solve our enormous problems" felt like a punch in the gut.

Well you should be, I'd found myself a sliver of optimism and ran with it for a minute. The reality is that EL has basically rubber-stamped Støjberg's policies, which will continue pretty much unabated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I always forget we have a single minister seat for produce, fishing, equal rights, and nordic cooporation. What an honour. The fact that we need a minister for equal rights speaks volumes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

THE BAR posted:

I always forget we have a single minister seat for produce, fishing, equal rights and nordic cooporation. What an honour. The fact that we need a minister for equal rights speaks volumes.

wait are all of these the same person

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

V. Illych L. posted:

Since 2014, I believe.

E:

No, wait, produce has been lobbed in with the rest this year.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

Yep. Should make it pretty obvious how much politicians value equal rights.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cardiac posted:

Well, Ullenhag was going to be a nail in the coffin, so in that sense Sabuni is probably a better choice for L.
Ullenhag is the worst kind of liberal and is one of the major reasons why SD could grow during the Reinfeldt era. At a certain point during the early 2000s, some of the issues that fed SD could have been avoided.

As for Sabuni, there are some major questions on how she should save L.
1. What politics will she push? And how will those actually differ from M?
2. She will lead a party that is part of the current ruling coalition. Will she continue on that path? I have a hard time seeing that L will give up the opportunity for some actual political influence for the sake of "ideological purity".

IMO, it won't be a massive change from Björklund in terms of actual politics but rather in presentation.
Also, I am kinda curious on the state of Sabunis family gatherings given who her brother is.

Sabuni has a tough position if she's going to try to muscle into a position among the more hard right borgerliga, between M, SD and KD. What's her USP going to be? Basically the liberals are already leaving L for C, and "muslims should integrate more goddammit"-voters have already left for SD or KD, and "I just hate Social democrats"-voters have left for M.

Also, she was pretty mediocre at best as a minister. You can't always tell how good someone will be as a party leader based on that, however. I was tangentally affected by her role as vice minister of education, back when she had a very broad portfolio, and my experience was that she was a pretty single note minister who ignored most of her portfolio and just focused on her own hobby horses. Maybe she's gotten better since then, or maybe she'll bog down into a single issue party leader. We'll see.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
How is tesfaye going to be as minister for integration? I always liked his insights on the labour market, but suddenly he became foreigner spokesperson. He can't possibly be worse then støjberg.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

vuk83 posted:

How is tesfaye going to be as minister for integration? I always liked his insights on the labour market, but suddenly he became foreigner spokesperson. He can't possibly be worse then støjberg.

He's going to be poo poo. Tesfaye is the epitome of kicking the ladder, at least Støjberg's own father wasn't a refugee.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
He is pretty bad on the labour market in my opinion. Good for modern social democrat I guess. Him being minister of integration is a little on the nose I think, but who else I guess. Better than støjberg is quite possibly the lowest bar since Himmler.

e: to elaborate on the 'bad on labour market' thing, he is bad because it's the same neoliberal bullshit as has co-opted the entirety of the social democratic party, but better than the rest of the assholes who literally have no experience with, nor any knowledge of, what an regular person does on the job. He doesn't have much experience either, despite being sold as such, but at least he has periphery knowledge of it from union organizing.The trajectory of from 2005 - 2013 having first left Ø for SF, then SF for SD should really tell you everything you need to know.

ee: finally, his self-aggrandizing 'warm hands' book is poo poo as well

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 27, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Yeah, probably he isn't going to celebrate non-white death with cake or brag about reading DKA, but very little is going to actually change, he's made that clear in forever.

Also he switched parties three times (DKP/ML > EL > SF > S).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, probably he isn't going to celebrate non-white death with cake or brag about reading DKA, but very little is going to actually change, he's made that clear in forever.

Also he switched parties three times (DKP/ML > EL > SF > S).

watch him keep zooming rightwards until he's the new leader of Nye Borgerlige lol

never trust a fallen communist imo

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

never trust a fallen communist imo

And this government has two of them.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i can accept someone mellowing out and going from an M/L tendency to a group like Ø, but to then keep migrating rightward is a huge red flag

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

i can accept someone mellowing out and going from an M/L tendency to a group like Ø, but to then keep migrating rightward is a huge red flag

Rosenkrantz-Theil jumped straight from Ø to S.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Karen Jespersen jumped from VS to Conspiracy Right :v:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lima posted:

Karen Jespersen jumped from VS to Conspiracy Right :v:

She had a few stops in S and V, but I guess V counts for that as well, what with Støjberg proudly reading Den Korte Avis and such.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
So liberal I'm going to ruin my health to own S. Also very normal politicians doing adult things.

A huge loving embarrassment posted:

Utklädd till en cigarrett samlades han och ett tjugotal liberaler på en uteservering i Visby, timmarna innan förbudet trädde i kraft. De bolmande liberalerna bar t-shirts med budskapet ”jag röker bara för att jävlas med Annika Strandhäll”.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/samhalle/a/0ng0rg/l-toppens-rokkanga-till-strandhall-moralism

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I fully expect this law change to be normalized and forgotten about in like 3-6 months.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I love how every mad opponent overlooks the stated political end goal of a smoke free Sweden by 2025.

It will never again be as easy and casual to smoke as it is now. Also since last time, when smoking while drinking in pubs was disallowed; the rate of smoking has fallen by 50%. It's insanely effective to make smokers suffer socially.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

I love how every mad opponent overlooks the stated political end goal of a smoke free Sweden by 2025.

It will never again be as easy and casual to smoke as it is now. Also since last time, when smoking while drinking in pubs was disallowed; the rate of smoking has fallen by 50%. It's insanely effective to make smokers suffer socially.

There's a young social democrat in my Twitter feed who's very up in arms about the fact that the law bans vaping, despite vaping having no real adverse effects (beyond being annoying). What he of course misses is that the law is about more than just the health aspects, it is aiming at ending most social forms of consumption of nicotine. Turning consumption into something you do in private (either physically or in less obvious ways like gum or patches), or far away from places where the public gathers.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
As someone married to a person who isn't able to sit outside at restaurants due to smokers, I think this is a good move.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Potrzebie posted:

So liberal I'm going to ruin my health to own S. Also very normal politicians doing adult things.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/samhalle/a/0ng0rg/l-toppens-rokkanga-till-strandhall-moralism

Owning the lefties by following the law

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Smokers keep reminding us that nothing short of being dragged away kicking and screaming by armed police will stop them from imposing it on as many people as they can. A law ban on smoking indoors should not have had to be a law in the first place.

It's like the vapers are now doing it indoors and around people in closed spaces and we can watch as it gradually gets restricted by law in one country after another until it eventually holds the same legal status as cigarettes. I saw one literal fedora wearing neckbeard get kicked out of a clothing store by a woman yelling at him that smoking was not allowed in the store as he mewed impotently "It's not smoke! it's vape! It's not smoke!"

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Potrzebie posted:

how is it possible to be this lame

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It really annoys the everliving gently caress out of me that we have to impose bans like this, since I'm against paternalistic bans and heavy-handed legislation.

But smokers have really undermined their own arguments for decades. Passive smoking and cigarette butts every-loving-where, and absolutely no sign from smokers that they are ever going to take responsibility for their own actions or clean up their own poo poo.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

KozmoNaut posted:

It really annoys the everliving gently caress out of me that we have to impose bans like this, since I'm against paternalistic bans and heavy-handed legislation.

But smokers have really undermined their own arguments for decades. Passive smoking and cigarette butts every-loving-where, and absolutely no sign from smokers that they are ever going to take responsibility for their own actions or clean up their own poo poo.

dehumanise yourself and face to making poo poo illegal

it's great! now when you see some product which causes massive damage but is moderately more convenient, you can just say 'it should be banned'. it's all very liberating

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

MiddleOne posted:

I fully expect this law change to be normalized and forgotten about in like 3-6 months.

I remember back in 2005 when they banned it inside restaurants, and it was the end of the world that time too. Arne Anka has a lengthy goodbye to all the good (?) that indoor smoking had brought into the world.

“Ruining my asthma-stricken health to own the libs” is just the logical step in this never-ending cycle. If this guy was alive in the 60’s, he’d be refusing to change to the right side of the road and then die, all in the name of pwning societal changes.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

"Det är en ofrihet. Människor måste få göra vad de vill med sina egna kroppar, säger ordförande Joar Forssell."

Conveniently ignoring the fact that in public places, you're doing it to other people's bodies too. What happened to Mill's harm principle? Or are we due for another L name change to Libertarianerna?

As someone who suffers immediate adverse health effects from cigarette smoke (it triggers migraines), I'm loving this ban.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

BigglesSWE posted:

“Ruining my asthma-stricken health to own the libs” is just the logical step in this never-ending cycle. If this guy was alive in the 60’s, he’d be refusing to change to the right side of the road and then die, all in the name of pwning societal changes.

Really being the change he wants to see in the supposedly liberal party. I can't wait for the L to be renamed R for Reactionaries.

E: dang it ^^^

I guess Joar is ok with people practising boxing on his face, as long as they don't hurt the knuckles?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

KozmoNaut posted:

I rent out an apartment on the top floor of my house. My last-last tenant used to smoke on the balcony and throw the cigarette butts on the lawn. I told him to stop it and his response was that it wasn't him.

Motherfucker, We are two people living here and I don't smoke.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It’s so gleefully stupid, that’s the worst of it. I know plenty of smokers and every single one of them wishes they’d never started it. Pretty sure most of them welcomes the ban; makes it that much easier to take the leap to stop it altogether.

Smoking is unavoidably bad. It’s not like drinking, which can be harmless if you only drink sparingly. Smoking WILL ruin your health and for those around you and it’s only still a thing because 1: money and 2: it’s been around forever.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Any other old person out there who remember those smoke areas they had in restaurants a thousand years ago in the 90s?

You would have one table be a smoking table and then the next one would be a non-smoking table.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s not like drinking, which can be harmless if you only drink sparingly.

The latest studies show all alcohol consumption have health consequences and lead to a reduced life-span. There's no "safe level"; drinking less just hurts you less than drinking more would.

Which I'm fine with btw; a lot of stuff I do is bad for my health.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I remember the smoking sections on the trains, I think they phased them out around 2005/06-ish. Holy poo poo what a disgusting hellzone.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

thotsky posted:

The latest studies show all alcohol consumption have health consequences and lead to a reduced life-span. There's no "safe level"; drinking less just hurts you less than drinking more would.

Which I'm fine with btw; a lot of stuff I do is bad for my health.

In before someone claims alcohol only hurts your own health. :downs:

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Imho I'd love to see smoking cars reintroduced on trains. Fourteen hour train rides from Trondheim to Bergen were hell on a poor tired habitual smoker. I'd gladly take an open cattle wagon, so that cleaning staff wouldn't have to deal with the stench of millions of cigarettes clinging to every surface, just give me the chance to suck some death sticks on the long journey.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

Any other old person out there who remember those smoke areas they had in restaurants a thousand years ago in the 90s?

You would have one table be a smoking table and then the next one would be a non-smoking table.

Yes, that was not a good time.
I also remember the time when smoking was forbidden and all the pubs/dance clubs of the student nations stopped smelling smoke and started smelling like farts and sweat.

So how is the smoking ban going to work when they finally get around to legalizing marijuana in order to stop the illegal drug trades (and get that sweet ganja taxation) and the gang shootings (who at the moment are financed by the middle class buying marijuana and other drugs)?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

So how is the smoking ban going to work when they finally get around to legalizing marijuana in order to stop the illegal drug trades (and get that sweet ganja taxation) and the gang shootings (who at the moment are financed by the middle class buying marijuana and other drugs)?

Crazy guess: exactly like the tobacco and vape ban works

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

I remember the smoking sections on the trains, I think they phased them out around 2005/06-ish. Holy poo poo what a disgusting hellzone.

The "non-smoking" seats right in front of the smokers on the flights from Copenhagen to Bangkok in the early 90's sucked balls. Then you arrive and get to breath outside air that is somehow worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Beeswax posted:

Crazy guess: exactly like the tobacco and vape ban works

Didn't the Dutch coffeeshops ban tobacco and provide herbal analogues for mixing?