Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

havent heard a peep posted:

I broke a company sales record two weeks into the four week training pipeline. In reaction The dish Network heads are flying into Madison from Denver. Please get me the gently caress out of here. Have car will leave tonight? Record was set four years ago a lot of people lost bets lol.

We never met but please trust me. I didn't take advice and I haven't stopped studying the 250 page tome since I set the record. This is my jumping point right? Latest text from my trainer said wear a funeral suit because the Japanese overlords are also coming in. I already prepared reyka vodka gifts for them out of pocket. Lol when their top sales knows how to greet them akin to Coco's Curry.

How did mit money describe it? Dong out, full belly, looking to wife swap?

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

qhat posted:

Lol if you work at Amazon for anything other than a short term gig before you find a real company that knows what a work life balance is.

no tech company is real

and nobody at Amazon will tell you to do less you just have to take vacation and set your own boundaries. though if you are on a toxic team that thinks taking vacation is morally wrong or something they've made it so there is no way they can stop you from switching teams, which was a huge problem because it meant more people leaving the company and toxic teams not being as obvious.

also don't hire ex-Microsoft mgmt this is my biggest tip to any company

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Amazon in Vancouver is perpetually hiring and I don't think there's anyone on planet earth who can convince me to consider it as a serious long term option. I've spoken to some recruiters as well and they've told me they struggle sometimes to find people willing to consider it lol.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FamDav posted:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

qhat posted:

The Amazon in Vancouver is perpetually hiring and I don't think there's anyone on planet earth who can convince me to consider it as a serious long term option. I've spoken to some recruiters as well and they've told me they struggle sometimes to find people willing to consider it lol.

the route 53 people I work with up there seem to really like it :/, though I don't know what non-aws teams are up there. I also know there's quite a lot of interesting visa cases that flow through there temporarily.

and yes, perception sucks and amazon really and truly messed up by not working to fix things much sooner. my team could be a really great place to work (it is) but you will have trouble believing me because of the real experiences of people on awful teams that weren't corrected years earlier. and if you'd have trouble believing me, you're most certainly not going to believe some random recruiter.

I do find it heartening that there are more people on hn/etc who've only worked at Amazon a year or two who have nothing but good things to say, because it means changes are making things better and these people don't have to qualify their experiences.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

what kind of changes have you seen made? not being snarky

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FamDav posted:

The Nokia Effect™

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

lol

jfc some of you remind me of a freelance journalist I heard bitching on a podcast about getting priced out of Oakland but the dude couldn't think of any place to live other than bay area NYC or LA. like I know those are great places by some standards but holy gently caress get over yourselves

lol "freelance journalist"

i think i can translate: his trust fund isn't generous enough to get an instagram-worthy apartment

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

money doesn't stink

Iverron
May 13, 2012

What sort of monetary value would you place on full remote over a 30-40 minute commute?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Whatever your heart tells you

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol "freelance journalist"

i think i can translate: his trust fund isn't generous enough to get an instagram-worthy apartment

he was middle aged with teenage kids so I was sympathetic about how gentrification was kicking his rear end until he couldn't think to live anywhere but the three most expensive markets in the country when he apparently travels nearly 100% for work

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

money doesn't stink

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/zpuyqq/upright-citizens-brigade-rear end-pennies

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Clockwerk posted:

what kind of changes have you seen made? not being snarky

heres a list off the top of my head (most of this is very SDE-centric). i cut out a few bullets because i dont know if they have been implemented yet

* like i mentioned previously, the ability to change teams almost arbitrarily (need to have been in position for a month) instead of having to be on a team for like 6-12 months AND have a performance review showing you are hitting acceptable performance for your level AND no PiP. given those are all things managers can game to keep people on toxic teams, making it easier for good people caught in a bad situations to move to healthy teams at amazon rather than leave is great for just about everybody except the toxic teams :/

* improvements to or creation of maternal and paternal leave. not useful for me today but i know its affected peoples decisions to join or stay

* implementation of a part-time program for people who need/want to work reduced hours/days

* transparency around total compensation and how your salary/RSUs/etc. are calculated. previously it was basically up to your manager or a fellow employee to explain it to you

* removal of anytime feedback, which while nice to give someone a shoutout (i did this for a few people who were incredibly helpful) could also be used to arbitrarily badmouth people

* reduction of performance review feedback from (no kidding) pages detailing strengths and weaknesses to very short blurbs about strengths, contributions, and areas to grow. it still an annual process (people in january would be ghosts while they wrote feedback) but ive heard its going to be more frequent?

* increased transparency for promotions (more self-driven and/or collaborative with manager) as well as mass realignment of level expectations. that includes more abstract expectations (i think it used to literally say you had to build a service to get to SDE3) as well as re-calibrating people who handled promotions on what the levels are. IMO i would have preferred they also add another level to the SDE hierarchy that encompassed high-performing SDE2s

* splitting out SysDE from general SysEng (SRE-SWE vs SRE). people who had the technically proficency for SysDE previously would either switch over to SDE (and move away from problem spaces where they would've been much more effective) or just leave the company

* the yearly tech survey and having actions taken based on its results. this includes getting better monitors and development-worthy laptops, and largely deprecating the penny-wise-pound-foolish mode of treating the desktops w/ virts as the best mode of development. most SDEs today develop on a combination of macbook pros and cloud desktops with the physical desktops reserved for people who have to work with physical hardware. this has had a really transformative effect on developer productivity and has also reduced the amount of hardware issues that were coming through deskside.

* Alternative mechanisms for funding infrastructure teams that had a difficult time showing their value, leading to improved infrastructure and overall better developer experience

* Adding and expanding developer bootcamp, which helps new SDEs become more acquainted with internal tools, frameworks, etc. over their first few months on the job

* (my recent favorite) HR reminding people to actually use their vacation

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

he was middle aged with teenage kids so I was sympathetic about how gentrification was kicking his rear end until he couldn't think to live anywhere but the three most expensive markets in the country when he apparently travels nearly 100% for work

freelance journalism isn't a career

trust funds are affected by inflation, as he has learned to his chagrin

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Iverron posted:

What sort of monetary value would you place on full remote over a 30-40 minute commute?

shortening your commute is always good, but 100% remote is terrible

all things being equal i would take the 30 minute commute. i might even accept a small pay cut to have a real office that contains my coworkers and bosses

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

FamDav posted:

* implementation of a part-time program for people who need/want to work reduced hours/days

i'd pay in blood for this, especially with trying to do work and school.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

shortening your commute is always good, but 100% remote is terrible

all things being equal i would take the 30 minute commute. i might even accept a small pay cut to have a real office that contains my coworkers and bosses

I get that, but the commute is to an office with one other dev and then the rest of our team is spread around the US in clusters or remote so there's no boss or coworkers as you mean. I may as well be remote in the office, because the office is a weird "rear end in the chair" situation that doesn't really benefit anyone.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

thank you for taking the time to respond. it sounds like not a bad place to be nowadays

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

well now i feel bad about ignoring this amazon recruiter until he gave up

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

I have my second AWS interview in a few minutes. Anyone have any experience on the security cleared side of things?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Iverron posted:

I get that, but the commute is to an office with one other dev and then the rest of our team is spread around the US in clusters or remote so there's no boss or coworkers as you mean. I may as well be remote in the office, because the office is a weird "rear end in the chair" situation that doesn't really benefit anyone.

an office that contains my coworkers and bosses was a key proviso. distributed teams are poison

find a better job

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Today I was speaking to a coworker that told me they are interviewing a candidate tomorrow and are trying to think of RANDOM WACKY questions to ask like, "Batman vs. Spiderman, GO!"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Steve Jorbs posted:

Today I was speaking to a coworker that told me they are interviewing a candidate tomorrow and are trying to think of RANDOM WACKY questions to ask like, "Batman vs. Spiderman, GO!"

was your reply that this kind of question is illegal as it's not related to the job duties or qualifications?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Steve Jorbs posted:

Suggest asking the interviewee: "Which of my [the interviewer] many failures most bothers my mom and/or dad?".

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Schadenboner posted:

Suggest asking the interviewee: "Which of my [the interviewer] many failures most bothers my mom and/or dad?".

lmao, that'd almost be worth get fired for for asking

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

eschaton posted:

was your reply that this kind of question is illegal as it's not related to the job duties or qualifications?

culture fit!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

eschaton posted:

No, but that's a great response.

If it's any better they framed it as the rest of their team thinking they were being overly weird and that they should just stick to the script.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
had a chat with an engineer about their team today - every question about their practices was met with "we're moving towards doing that" except for "do you use git".

they're starting to push back against product demanding they skip writing tests to poo poo things out into prod faster! hurrah! they're thinking about CI/integration tests! they're considering an event-sourcing infrastructure!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

gonadic io posted:

had a chat with an engineer about their team today - every question about their practices was met with "we're moving towards doing that" except for "do you use git".

they're starting to push back against product demanding they skip writing tests to poo poo things out into prod faster! hurrah! they're thinking about CI/integration tests! they're considering an event-sourcing infrastructure!

sounds like you should start to consider leaving

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

gonadic io posted:

except for "do you use git".
I hope that means they've made the conscious decision to not use any source control.

I interned at a place that did that for some projects. It turned out exactly as you'd imagine.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I applied for some jobs that I didn't meet all the requirements for, mostly experience. Also one job that involves remaking old mainframe applications into fresh, shiny, RESTful Java webservices, it asked for COBOL and some old IBM languages.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

I applied for some jobs that I didn't meet all the requirements for, mostly experience. Also one job that involves remaking old mainframe applications into fresh, shiny, RESTful Java webservices, it asked for COBOL and some old IBM languages.

Aren't you MKE?

You want the employer who offers those jobs that 's further east, not the one in Brookfield.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Steve Jorbs posted:

This is the point at which the candidate regrets taking half a day off work.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Schadenboner posted:

Aren't you MKE?

You want the employer who offers those jobs that 's further east, not the one in Brookfield.

The place I applied to is not in Brookfield. It's Franklin and/or Milwaukee.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

The place I applied to is not in Brookfield. It's Franklin and/or Milwaukee.

Oh. That company is a great place to work. Also a really nice facility. Free lunch, lots of parking (never really a problem in MKE).

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Schadenboner posted:

Oh. Great place to work. Also a really nice facility. Free lunch, lots of parking (never really a problem in MKE).

A family friend works there as a senior dev and was very helpful in answering a ton of my questions (except figgies, which I didn't ask). If I get the job downtown I'll be able to walk to work.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Steve Jorbs posted:

"Thanks but I think I'd like to leave now"

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

"Thanks but I think I'd like to leave now"

"I'm sorry, but you're not a good culture fit. For me, I mean."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Got the job. Guy wanted to low ball me, but I was able to get the required figs out of him.

• Locked thread