Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Catberry posted:

I had real problems with secret of mana on SNES because the only comparison I had was Zelda and they were just so vastly different games.

It was only when I came back to the game in my teens that I could managed to get anywhere in Secret of Mana and then I loved it. I think there was a fan translated sequel on emulator at the time but I didn't really like it.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was a prequel to secret of mana?
What was called FF Mystic Quest in NA isn't what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
There is more than one game called Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and neither game was by the main Final Fantasy team. Squaresoft marketing at the time was really weird.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
"Mystic Quest" was the only FF game we got until FF7. FFA was also called "Mystic Quest" here. Oh, Square.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

bloodychill posted:

There is more than one game called Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and neither game was by the main Final Fantasy team. Squaresoft marketing at the time was really weird.

Okay I played the one where the final boss is a king that turns into a spider and is one shotted each time with healing spells. Which one was that?

Edit:

It was a really long time ago since I played that game and I barely remember any characters except this nice girl you meet early on. Then she gets sick and you spend the rest of the game looking for a cure. Essentially robbing her of much deserved screen time.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 22, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That's the real Mystic Quest, not related to Secret of Mana. The final boss is as you describe, but Kaeli gets healed pretty early on and she helps you out for a little while later on in the game, too. But mostly your party members are constantly going through a revolving door in that game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol they want 43 dollars for 2 gameboy roms and a snes rom

It's a gameboy rom and two SNES roms actually

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They should throw in Legend of Mana so we can have all the good Mana games in one release.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Secret of Mana for SNES is the best one to start with, right? That game was basically the only Square SNES game that repeatedly had me going "meh" and I don't think I ever got more than a few hours in, I should try it again sometime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SoM is a game that when it came out it looked and sounded so amazing lots of people, including myself, overlooked just how broken it was mechanically and that it ended up with a bunch of turned based mechanics shoved poorly into what was supposedly an action game.

I still love it though.

SD3 and Legend are better games to play but will never replicate the feeling of turning the game on and hearing the title screen music and whale noises when you're 14.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 22, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

They should throw in Legend of Mana so we can have all the good Mana games in one release.

Agree. The $50 price tag is a bit high for three games, even if I really love Final Fantasy Adventure and Secret of Mana. I never got to play SD3 too much. Would be nice if it at least had Legend of Mana and the two remakes of Final Fantasy Adventures, Sword of Mana and Adventure of Mana.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Grozz Nuy posted:

I love LUCT and all, but I'd much rather have a new main series OB game than a Tactics Ogre game at this point. There are bajillions of grid-based SRPGs these days and barely anything that plays like MotBQ/PoLC. But yes, Square's revived a bunch of their weird niche stuff in recent years and they've even brought back Matsuno already to consult on the LUCT remake and write a mini storyline for the upcoming FF14 expansion. They even probably still employ a sizeable portion of the old Quest staff! Give us more goddamn Ogre Battle you assholes!

I'd take anything Matsuno/Yoshida honestly, so yeah, I'm down.

Failing Ogre series, how about a Vagrant Story remake or sequel. Please, Square, please. Please. Pleeeeease.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rirse posted:

Agree. The $50 price tag is a bit high for three games, even if I really love Final Fantasy Adventure and Secret of Mana. I never got to play SD3 too much. Would be nice if it at least had Legend of Mana and the two remakes of Final Fantasy Adventures, Sword of Mana and Adventure of Mana.

I'm surprised they're opting with FFA over AoM since the latter is a faithful remake and looks a lot better than a GB game, plus is still a recent release and thus have some draw for those on the fence.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Sakurazuka posted:

SoM is a game that when it came out it looked and sounded so amazing lots of people, including myself, overlooked just how broken it was mechanically and that it ended up with a bunch of turned based mechanics shoved poorly into what was supposedly an action game.

I still love it though.

SD3 and Legend are better games to play but will never replicate the feeling of turning the game on and hearing the title screen music and whale noises when you're 14.

Turn based?

The only oddity I found with Secret of Mana was that every single boss fight except maybe the shadow fight and the final boss was just "spam lightning, eat mana nut and spam more lightning"

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd take anything Matsuno/Yoshida honestly, so yeah, I'm down.

Failing Ogre series, how about a Vagrant Story remake or sequel. Please, Square, please. Please. Pleeeeease.

There is also Lost Order by Cygames which has Matsuno and Yoshida working on it. The Ogre Battle/Ivalice team is scattered to the four winds. Most of them are working on FFXIV 2.0 either in BD5 or as freelancer.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Catberry posted:

Turn based?

The only oddity I found with Secret of Mana was that every single boss fight except maybe the shadow fight and the final boss was just "spam lightning, eat mana nut and spam more lightning"

Honestly there isn't much in the way of tactics in any of the games. You hit hard, you heal when you're hurt, maybe late-game you apply some buffs or debuffs that last the whole battle. You grind when you need to, and you're done. It's the grinding that I think is the only big flaw of both Secret of Mana and SD3, though I find it more bearable in SD3 since you don't have to grind each elemental spell separately between all the characters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Catberry posted:

Turn based?

Pausing to cast spells, having to wait until your weapon charges to attack, enemy attacks that are unavoidable and you just have to heal through it, that sort of thing.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Alxprit posted:

Honestly there isn't much in the way of tactics in any of the games. You hit hard, you heal when you're hurt, maybe late-game you apply some buffs or debuffs that last the whole battle. You grind when you need to, and you're done. It's the grinding that I think is the only big flaw of both Secret of Mana and SD3, though I find it more bearable in SD3 since you don't have to grind each elemental spell separately between all the characters.

But then all you really needed was the gnomes lightning spell and the girls healing spell and you were set.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
That and the "required to beat the game" spell from Dryad.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It was only till the SD3 let's play that I learned bosses were countering me whenever I did my magic attacks that I spammed all the time, hurting me more than is ideal.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Allarion posted:

It was only till the SD3 let's play that I learned bosses were countering me whenever I did my magic attacks that I spammed all the time, hurting me more than is ideal.

I always felt that magic was tedious as hell in SD3 (this was also true of SoM) so I always ran with low magic parties, such as Kevin DL/Duran LL/Lise LD. You can supplant heal spells with poto oil so Duran could even go DL for the sabre spells.

Lots of fun ways to play that game.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 22, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I just played through SoM recently with a friend and remembering how we would purposefully charge weapons to top back in the day made me chuckle. It's funny how it's basically ideal to not charge or at most charge to 1 or 2 if you can't hit a monster and are waiting for it to appear. The higher charges are totally pointless. Also the spear is the best.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

The higher charges are totally pointless. Also the spear is the best.

They are, but they have weird hitboxes and movement "rules" so it's easier to hit bosses like the big slimes, the vampires, and ofc dark lich.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

They are, but they have weird hitboxes and movement "rules" so it's easier to hit bosses like the big slimes, the vampires, and ofc dark lich.

Yeah, the better hit boxes means charging the axe in particular can be useful. The bow also has really weird hit boxes, especially in comparison to the javelin.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
The new Balthier summon was released today for World of Final Fantasy (video here)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Riesz is cute, I think.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Article with Tabata on the Versus to XV transition.

quote:

"Episode Duscae was actually the impetus behind all of this. When we took user feedback after Episode Duscae was released, we gauged which characters were popular and which were unpopular, and Prompto came in dead last. By a huge margin! As you know, Episode Duscae was in a lot of ways a prototype. When Prompto came in dead last in this popularity contest, we were trying to come up with ways to make him more likable. Eventually we realized that this photography feature, making that a part of his character, could be one way to bring him closer to users, make them feel a little bit more appreciation for him and make him seem more likable.

"And again, you see that in Brotherhood, the anime spinoff, where you see him as a little kid. He's sort of an outcast, and I guess that's also a reflection of his unpopularity in that poll, right? So it really came down to humanizing him and fleshing out his character. Ignis's love of cooking and Gladiolus's love of the outdoors we've carried over from Episode Duscae, but Prompto's love of photography and Noctis's love of fishing... those came afterward."

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 25, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Well I'd call that a resounding success.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wow, that's... honestly pretty daring. Their response to a character being found to be the least popular in the cast isn't to replace them, write them differently or focus less on them, it's to focus entire gameplay mechanics around him. That's a loving gamble, right there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Wow, that's... honestly pretty daring. Their response to a character being found to be the least popular in the cast isn't to replace them, write them differently or focus less on them, it's to focus entire gameplay mechanics around him. That's a loving gamble, right there.

That's probably the quality about SE I like most in general. They're always willing to try the weirdest ideas with their games. FF14 is a massive flop? Throw more money to remake it! FF1 was a surprise success? Let's make the gameplay for the sequel completely different! And let's let Taro Yoko make another NieR game!

Granted, it doesn't always work out (Hey, let's make a movie!) but it's also probably the reason they're still relevant as a company today. They make some really goofy loving poo poo, but it usually manages to be goofy in just the right ways.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

That's probably the quality about SE I like most in general. They're always willing to try the weirdest ideas with their games. FF14 is a massive flop? Throw more money to remake it! FF1 was a surprise success? Let's make the gameplay for the sequel completely different! And let's let Taro Yoko make another NieR game!

Granted, it doesn't always work out (Hey, let's make a movie!) but it's also probably the reason they're still relevant as a company today. They make some really goofy loving poo poo, but it usually manages to be goofy in just the right ways.

To be fair, when Emil first showed up in Automata I flipped my loving poo poo and started praising Taro Yoko is a genius on par with John Lennon or the guy who came up with savings bonds.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mega64 posted:

Oh, I totally agree, even if I find myself disliking the product I love that S-E's response to either unprecedented success or total failure is to get weird. Whenever other companies would prefer to play it safe, either to save money in times of strife or to coast on success, S-E prefers to instead play the maddest cards it's got.

My favorite comparison is Bethesda. Skyrim was a huge hit, bringing a lot of new attention to a genre and publisher that had never tasted success of that height before. Their response to that was to get more mainstream, though, to not rock the boat and just give people much the same sort of game, even adding/removing things to make it a little more palatable to a wider audience. And that's fine in some ways (my dad's played more Fallout 4 than I think I've played of any Bethesda game), but remember when Square was in the same position back in the PS1 era and then followed up their smash hit with, now that they knew their next game would sell gangbusters anyway?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 26, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

but remember when Square was in the same position back in the PS1 era and then followed up their smash hit with, now that they knew their next game would sell gangbusters anyway?

and we got two of the greatest JRPGs of all time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
so was ff15 good or not

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

so was ff15 good or not

It was a fun but absurdly blatantly unfinished game that only really gets around it by having a somewhat strong finish.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

so was ff15 good or not

I enjoyed Final Fantasy XV

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It was a fun but absurdly blatantly unfinished game that only really gets around it by having a somewhat strong finish.

so was ff15 good or not

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Captain Baal posted:

I enjoyed Final Fantasy XV

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Final Fantasy XV is bad

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's my most played PS4 game... And I'm looking forward to all the DLC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It was ok. The battle system was too loose to get real interesting or fun and the world felt emptier than most games like it. The bros end up feeling a little underwritten given that the game is supposed to be tightly focused on their characterizations. The voice acting is on the weaker side as a whole. The story drags hard in a few key places in the back half. It would have been nice to have more playable characters and/or team members.

On the other hand, there are neat nooks and crannies to explore and it really nails a relaxing and natural open-world feeling between the car rides and sleeping/cooking/fishing/hunts. The music is solid. Most of the story beats are enjoyable and well-presented. Even though the combat is overly loose, it's still decent and making ridiculous spells can be fun, though it would have been neat if they had a bigger variety of spell types.

It's a solid 7.