Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Memento posted:

Also, erdogan needs there to be "millions of refugees" so if he wants to he can unleash them on Europe, which he's already threatening to do.

Source? I'm not really sure what to google for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"Erdogan refugee threat" worked wonders: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/10/turkeys-erdogan-threatens-send-millions-refugees-europe-eu-calls/

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Godholio posted:

Source? I'm not really sure what to google for this.

Same here. This seems very...how do you say it..."This has happened, therefore someone intended for it to happen," which seems fallacious.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I mean anything seems possible in the breathtaking levels of cynicism that characterize 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is the article I read, from Friday. poo poo moves fast so I'm not surprised people missed what he said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-10/turkish-president-erdogan-threatens-to-flood-europe-refugees/11591930

Literally "if you call what I'm doing an invasion I'll release more than 3 million refugees to Europe"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reddit had the question “what would you do if you woke up with one trillion dollars of clean money in the bank?”

My first thought was “I need bodyguards—make that mercenaries.”

It then occurred to me that I don’t know any good mercenaries.

What’s the best mercenary company money can buy?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Platystemon posted:

Reddit had the question “what would you do if you woke up with one trillion dollars of clean money in the bank?”

The US Military?

Bah-Zing! I'll be here all night, folks!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Platystemon posted:

Define "best" in this context.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
A trillion dollars?

I dunno if I'd bother with mercenaries, that's Potential Future God-Emperor of Mars money.

(gently caress Mars, I'd try to settle the Belt. Why go back down a well took you a billion years to climb out of, bossmang?)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shooting Blanks posted:

Define "best" in this context.

Well I’m going to be honest: I was thinking “what’s the closest thing the real world has to Hâyard–Günnes.

That may be different from what trillionaire me needs.

My mercenaries need to show up when called upon, not stab me in the back, and not create additional problems for me. Like, if I hire war criminals, that’s going to endanger me more than if I hadn’t hired them.

After those criteria comes competence in protecting me from anyone who might want my trillionaire self dead. I don’t need to be prepared to launch an amphibious assault or anything like that.

Captain Log posted:

The US Military?

The U.S. military is failing all criteria, with the possible exception of competency at protecting Very High Worth Individuals.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Kesper North posted:

A trillion dollars?

I dunno if I'd bother with mercenaries, that's Potential Future God-Emperor of Mars money.

(gently caress Mars, I'd try to settle the Belt. Why go back down a well took you a billion years to climb out of, bossmang?)

Yeah, at that level it becomes more a question of "Which country do I want to become ruler of? And how fast can I do it before another country decides to nationalize my wealth?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pfft, that’s only nine Jeff Bezos—six and change before his divorce.

Jeff Bezos is separated from a net worth of a trillion dollars by less than one order of magnitude.

He’s separated from a mere millionaire by more than five orders of magnitude.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wonder what his security apparatus looks like. Like has he paid someone to take a serious look at the possibility of someone putting a cruise missile into his villa etc.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Gurkhas.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guest2553 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RojavaNetwork/status/1183521682646093830?p=v

Unconfirmed stories rolling in that Kurdish forces were hit by a barrel bomb from syrian unknown aircraft.

Looks like proxy war's back on the menu, boys.

SNA here means "Syrian National Army", aka Turkish-backed jihadist militias. And something calling itself "Rojava Network" would not call Kurdish forces "terrorists".

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

There's a difference. The vast majority of Jeff Bezos wealth is in Amazon stock. The hypothetical was money in your bank account, i.e. cash. One of those is much, much easier to access if you're a nation state.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shooting Blanks posted:

There's a difference. The vast majority of Jeff Bezos wealth is in Amazon stock. The hypothetical was money in your bank account, i.e. cash. One of those is much, much easier to access if you're a nation state.

If you wake up with a trillion dollars in a bank account, you no longer have a bank account, you have a bank.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/RAF_Cosford/status/1183684294843228161

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

heh, where I work we have our own protective service force and Gurkhas are a big part of that. They are very good at doing meticulously what they are directly instructed to do but they are also not the most dynamic guys getting around - you have to think of everything that might kill you or rob from you with them.

And despite reputation to the contrary, do not think for a minute they are going to be any more brave than the guy beside you.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Davin Valkri posted:

Same here. This seems very...how do you say it..."This has happened, therefore someone intended for it to happen," which seems fallacious.

I really, really doubt Erdogan wanted the refugee crisis. He's going to exploit any advantage it creates for him, but he didn't create it and he really does want to offload them back into Syria ASAP.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Warbadger posted:

I really, really doubt Erdogan wanted the refugee crisis. He's going to exploit any advantage it creates for him, but he didn't create it and he really does want to offload them back into Syria ASAP.

This is his direct quote on it.

"Hey EU, wake up. I say it again: if you try to frame our operation there as an invasion, our task is simple: we will open the doors and send 3.6 million migrants to you," Erdogan said in a speech to parliament.

Not sure one can read his intent to keep them in Syria or not. His reigns option slider seems to keep moving towards 'genocide' these days so idk.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Considering the EU seems to have unanimously condemned the invasion I guess we'll have to see how much worth there is to that threat.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

SNA here means "Syrian National Army", aka Turkish-backed jihadist militias. And something calling itself "Rojava Network" would not call Kurdish forces "terrorists".

I'm thinking I bit into some fake news now that it's 12 hours later with no follow-up reporting.

My line of thinking was that if Turkish sources say their militias are being targeted - or if someone going through the effort of being a "Rojava Network" to say the same thing - that a) it'll portend some form of escalation by one side; and b) it's probably the Syrian AF that did it. Both of those would have been in line with the reporting of an SDF agreement.

Davin Valkri posted:

The whole line of the US policy under trump to get us here was only ever going to benefit non-US aligned interests. I'd agree that a refugee crisis might not have been specifically engineered, but Erdogan has definitely showed a willingness to use the fruit of the poisoned tree as it were.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

That Works posted:

This is his direct quote on it.

"Hey EU, wake up. I say it again: if you try to frame our operation there as an invasion, our task is simple: we will open the doors and send 3.6 million migrants to you," Erdogan said in a speech to parliament.

Not sure one can read his intent to keep them in Syria or not. His reigns option slider seems to keep moving towards 'genocide' these days so idk.

I'm really glad that the EU repeatedly decided not to "compete" with NATO so as to keep entrusting its defense to the reliable, steadfast, loyal hands of allies such as the USA and Turkey.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm really glad that the EU repeatedly decided not to "compete" with NATO so as to keep entrusting its defense to the reliable, steadfast, loyal hands of allies such as the USA and Turkey.
That decision allowed for a lot of very valuable corruption to take place!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Face palm and carry on.

https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1183445427041067008

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
To be fair I always thought the Soviet ships had nicer lines. Dat bow rake

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Electric Wrigglies posted:

heh, where I work we have our own protective service force and Gurkhas are a big part of that. They are very good at doing meticulously what they are directly instructed to do but they are also not the most dynamic guys getting around - you have to think of everything that might kill you or rob from you with them.

And despite reputation to the contrary, do not think for a minute they are going to be any more brave than the guy beside you.

Perfect! We wouldn't want the people who guard our insanely rich asses while we sleep to get any ideas, would we?

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 14, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. military is failing all criteria, with the possible exception of competency at protecting Very High Worth Individuals.

The US military is actually very good at protecting the Saud family.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Well I’m going to be honest: I was thinking “what’s the closest thing the real world has to Hâyard–Günnes.

That may be different from what trillionaire me needs.

If you're a trillionaire and don't have the equivalent of a decently well-stocked warplane museum angrily orbiting you idk what you're even doing

hobbesmaster posted:

The US military is actually very good at protecting the Saud family.

... against the Saud family's best efforts to effect its own demise, so far at least

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

If you're a trillionaire and don't have the equivalent of a decently well-stocked warplane museum angrily orbiting you idk what you're even doing

Call up whoever is running Paul Allen's museum and see what it costs and if theres anything they need money to acquire.

edit: or ask how much funding they need to open a naval museum so you can have your own warthunder

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
How much would it cost for a new build Iowa? That's probably where I would start.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

in the ball park of "more than the b-2 program". The industry doesn't exist anymore for big gun armored ships.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A couple of lumpy ones

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The 100 mill pricetag on the Iowas is the 1940s price right?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stravag posted:

The 100 mill pricetag on the Iowas is the 1940s price right?
Yup. They were tremendously expensive both to build and operate.

There a reason that everybody except the US rushed all their battleships out of service after WW2.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This isn't even the first time they've done that

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
And even for the US the only reason the Iowas survived was that they were fast enough to keep up with carrier battle groups. The US dumped all the slower BGs pretty quick, and even then the Iowas spent most of their time laid up in reserve. It was still cheaper to maintain them and haul one or two out for shore bombardment duty when needed than to build a whole new class of bombardment ships that also would have mostly just sat around, but only just.

Their reactivation in the 80s is a whole other ball of wax.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Source4Leko posted:

How much would it cost for a new build Iowa? That's probably where I would start.

Build one of those super yachts around a "replica" 3 gun 16"/50 cal turret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

Build one of those super yachts around a "replica" 3 gun 16"/50 cal turret.

Reminds me of reading about this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/billsp...t/#60c36f8d5e9d

"Save our oceans! ...with a yacht that's longer than an Arleigh Burke."