Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I just got around to finishing Legends of Grimlock 1 + 2 and overall I just feel disappointed. Game balance is several different flavours of hosed up with some party combinations wiping the floor with enemies and some being utterly useless (guns...). The second felt kind of disjointed and the main draw of exploring a huge layered tomb was replaced with going through the island and felt somewhat aimless. Also god drat they need to fix accuracy for like the first 4 levels I should not be dancing around for 4 minutes whiffing every shot. This is isn't early level 2ed. D&D.

It floors me that dungeon master and eye of the beholder games still feel tighter and more playable than newer games. Etrian Odyssey is probably the best modern game.

Really just make combat as and straightforward as possible and give me big loving dungeon to explore and puzzles to solve and I'm happy. That's probably why I still love Ultima Underworld so much. They nailed it just right.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well holy poo poo, wasn't expecting to see Grandia 2 of all things on the marketplace. Now if they could just republish Skies of Arcadia that should be the full set of JRPG's that cost $250+ to buy legitimately.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Skies of Arcadia on Steam would be the happiest of days!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I still have no loving clue how Grandia and Lunar are coming to steam, but not Skies of Arcadia. Who do I have to murder to appease the port Wizard?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Well holy poo poo, wasn't expecting to see Grandia 2 of all things on the marketplace. Now if they could just republish Skies of Arcadia that should be the full set of JRPG's that cost $250+ to buy legitimately.
Suikoden V and Wild Arms 5 are getting up there too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crabtree posted:

I still have no loving clue how Grandia and Lunar are coming to steam, but not Skies of Arcadia. Who do I have to murder to appease the port Wizard?

Lunar isn't confirmed AFAIK.

Grandia was probably a relatively easy port. It even already had a PC port,. if a lovely one.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is Skies of Arcadia playable on Dolphin?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mutation posted:

Is Skies of Arcadia playable on Dolphin?

poo poo, most games are, Arcadia Legends included.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Grandia was probably a relatively easy port. It even already had a PC port,. if a lovely one.

It was part of the survey they gave out and Grandia 2 was probably done first to quell any rumors that they'd give any PC ports the PS2 version treatment. They can take their time with it, but Lunar has been ported before and it will be ported and remastered until the end of civilization.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The new Grandia 2 port is based on the Dreamcast version, while the old PC port was based on the lovely PS2 port. You can even prove it, because the new port actually lets you load up save files from the Dreamcast version and it'll work just fine. So not that easy a port.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Abysswalker posted:

lmao. Pewdiepie has definitely done more good for the world than you or anyone else in this thread ever will, but yeah; gently caress him!!!

I've never listened to him so don't know what he's like, but gently caress you if you think he's done more good for the world than the EMTs, firemen, paramedics etc that post in this thread.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man, even though I own all the games, the Shadow Hearts series on Steam would be amazing. That'll never happen though, but at least Koudelka is a nice enough consolation prize.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Man, even though I own all the games, the Shadow Hearts series on Steam would be amazing.

XSeed could probably put Shadow Hearts 3 up and as far as I know, Koudelka is coming but Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are in legal limbo at the moment.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Fortitude posted:

XSeed could probably put Shadow Hearts 3 up and as far as I know, Koudelka is coming but Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are in legal limbo at the moment.
I wonder if WB got Midway's publishing rights in the buyout?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gromit posted:

I've never listened to him so don't know what he's like, but gently caress you if you think he's done more good for the world than the EMTs, firemen, paramedics etc that post in this thread.
Hahahaha

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm not going to do a write-up about it, because I don't think anyone cares (plus, I can't really play with a controller and take screenshots reliably), but One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 is an amazingly satisfying game to play. It's cel-shaded and very manga-styled, so you won't get historical grit like you would with the Dynasty games, but the cartoonish nature of characters, combat, music, and environments all betray how fun it is to smack people around by the hundreds with the 30+ characters destructive powers.

The use of the Kizuna system--where teammates on the battlefield hop in at the end of your combos to pack some extra punch to your sequence--along with special team attacks, dramatic freeze-frames with sound-effects emblazoned in the background makes the game look simple in its flow, but you have to keep on your toes if you don't want to get swarmed by the mobs and bosses.

What I love most is the charm of this game, with the people giving lore-drenched, fanservice-y lines to your characters as you fight, depending on how you're helping them (rescuing them from an ambush, kicking butt alongside them, etc). Also, for no particular reason, the Back/Select button has your character slightly modify their outfit on the battlefield: Tashigi will put her glasses down, or back up on her forehead; Robin will tie her hair up in a ponytail; Ace will put on a hat and it'll actually change his running animation, where he keeps a hand on his head so it doesn't fly off as he dashes.

As far as Warriors games go, it hasn't kicked my rear end yet, and I'm no MLGer either, so I don't suspect you'll get much of a challenge if you're used to Warriors games. Nevertheless, I didn't get it cheap but so far, I don't regret it. Depending on how fun the later game/levels become, I might just snatch up the DLC.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gromit posted:

:rolleyes:

support our troops!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

EMTs, firemen and paramedics are good. A controversial stance in the Steam thread.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

I just got around to finishing Legends of Grimlock 1 + 2 and overall I just feel disappointed. Game balance is several different flavours of hosed up with some party combinations wiping the floor with enemies and some being utterly useless (guns...). The second felt kind of disjointed and the main draw of exploring a huge layered tomb was replaced with going through the island and felt somewhat aimless. Also god drat they need to fix accuracy for like the first 4 levels I should not be dancing around for 4 minutes whiffing every shot. This is isn't early level 2ed. D&D.

It floors me that dungeon master and eye of the beholder games still feel tighter and more playable than newer games. Etrian Odyssey is probably the best modern game.

Really just make combat as and straightforward as possible and give me big loving dungeon to explore and puzzles to solve and I'm happy. That's probably why I still love Ultima Underworld so much. They nailed it just right.

I felt somewhat the same, although it sounds like I liked the first one more than you. The open world of the sequel was a huge disappointment that just killed the very tight dungeon crawling experience of the first.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wendell posted:

EMTs, firemen and paramedics are good. A controversial stance in the Steam thread.

Well I mean they are good but are the LPer good?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Morter posted:

I'm not going to do a write-up about it, because I don't think anyone cares (plus, I can't really play with a controller and take screenshots reliably), but One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 is an amazingly satisfying game to play.

otoh it's a dynasty warriors game that plays like a dynasty warriors game and it's just as fun as any other dynasty warriors game ever made.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean they are good but are the LPer good?

What about a firefighter... who is also an LPer :eyepop:

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

uhh, do you know a firefighter who has 38 million followers?? yeah, I didn't think so...bitch.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Puzzle Agent sure has lots of puzzles. Gotta love "the goon who ordered chicken isn't sitting next to the goon wearing a trilby" puzzles.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i've played surgeon simulator a bunch, so I'm basically a paramedic EMT LPer

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

otoh it's a dynasty warriors game that plays like a dynasty warriors game and it's just as fun as any other dynasty warriors game ever made.

You can't dash cancel with as much reckless abandon as you can in PW3. Feels great.

On a completely unrelated note, why haven't Guardian Heroes HD and Radiant Silvergun HD been ported to Steam yet? Have we all not bought enough copies of Ikaruga or something?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Hog Inspector posted:

i've played surgeon simulator a bunch, so I'm basically a paramedic EMT LPer

Hey man don't knock the simulators. That and YouTube videos allowed Caro to live his combat medic dreams.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

The one thing I'll grant you, besides literally causing tidal waves of enemies, is that this game is filled with way too much flailing-electric-guitar music for something styled after a cartoonish anime.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Joe Gillian posted:

On a completely unrelated note, why haven't Guardian Heroes HD and Radiant Silvergun HD been ported to Steam yet? Have we all not bought enough copies of Ikaruga or something?

I don't know, but i really wish they'd get around to porting Radiant Silvergun, at least. I could have sworn i heard they were planning on doing it after Ikaruga.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so its a good game

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
a fireman with 2 million followers is getting stuck in traffic

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rapacity posted:

a fireman with 2 million followers is getting stuck in traffic

A fireman plays SimCity 2013, complains about the fire services being stuck in traffic and the city burns down because of the game's lovely coding.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

BexGu posted:

Hey man don't knock the simulators. That and YouTube videos allowed Caro to live his combat medic dreams.

"Live" might not be the right word.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So what you're saying is that it's a fun game where the characters are magic-infused pirates instead of magic-infused Chinese historical figures

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

controversial opinion: dynasty warriors is good

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Kaubocks posted:

controversial opinion: dynasty warriors is good

If you mean correct opinion, then yes, they are.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Morter posted:

The one thing I'll grant you, besides literally causing tidal waves of enemies, is that this game is filled with way too much flailing-electric-guitar music for something styled after a cartoonish anime.

Wait, did they not bother to use the music from the TV series? Because I can think of a lot of tracks that would be fine for punching infinite dudes to.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Papercut posted:

I felt somewhat the same, although it sounds like I liked the first one more than you. The open world of the sequel was a huge disappointment that just killed the very tight dungeon crawling experience of the first.

I enjoyed the first one once I looked up a guide to see what party to make. Minotaur rogue specced into throwing weapons is not a character I ever thought I'd make!

The sequel just isn't clicking at all what so ever.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Just download the music from the series and queue it up in the background if you want. I like the theme to the game series though, it's surprisingly catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lMdbT5xM8E

I love the game so far, the graphics problem never really bothered me until now when the game hard locks whenever I play Alabasta. Hopefully that update comes through soon. My only real complaint is some dumb roster choices and while I appreciate the attention to detail that is Sanji can't hurt female characters that really makes him super disadvantageous to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fart of Presto posted:

:siren: MAD MAX MS PAINT/PHOTOSHOP COMPETITION :siren:

It's been way too long since we had a real competition here. So to celebrate the first of two games this year from Just Cause 2 developer, Avalanche Studios, it's time to break out your warez version of Photoshop, the decent Paint.Net, the dorky Gimp or good old MS Paint.

:coolspot: Prize
1 copy of Mad Max + pre-order DLC on Steam.
Edit: and probably some stuff...

Rules and poo poo are in the Gifting and Competition thread

Oh wow I miss these fun contests. I'll give an idea a shot this evening to get the ball rolling.

• Locked thread