Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Lol and lmao that I used to think we could even theoretically enslave humanity as a whole and plant trillions of trees to stave off thermal runaway. The only choice has always been technodomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Joe Biden is gonna make me eat a bug

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

jokes on him i'm already eating bugs

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Why eat bugs when you can eat 🫘🫘🫘🫘

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i only eat beets

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Heya there youtube, its ya boi, bug eater, gonna show you how to max your bug farming and bug cookin

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
https://twitter.com/TH0MASBAHAMA/status/1399694411269869574

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
when presented with the choice of either starving or eating bugs millions of Americans are gonna start murdering everyone instead

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Why eat bugs when there's so much long pork available???

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
how do you eat bugs? which bug

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I just sleep with my mouth open and get all my protein from the hundreds of spiders

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You say you won't eat bugs and yet I see you lining up for *unlimited shrimp*, curious...

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://news.sky.com/story/australian-man-sam-ballard-who-was-left-paralysed-after-eating-a-slug-dies-aged-28-11545373

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Colonel Cancer posted:

You say you won't eat bugs and yet I see you lining up for *unlimited shrimp*, curious...
I've got to assume that it's that "eating bugs" is usually thought of in terms of "eating bugs whole", whereas you don't do that for shrimp, crawfish, lobster.

Like, I enjoy chicken wings, but I'd really rather just have nuggets/tenders/strips cooked and sauced the same way as wings, because the bones are a hassle. And bugs have the "bones" on the outside.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

You just eat them with the shells still on, just like shrimp with the heads still on. It's great, you'll love it, white americans will definitely adapt without complaint and won't try to hyper exploit the global south to maintain our current normality. Again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/chantz_y/status/1790235431663218791

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348070666_COVID-19_Performance_study_of_microplastic_inhalation_risk_posed_by_wearing_masks

quote:

Wearing face masks has become the new normal worldwide due to the global spread of the coronavirus disease 2019. The inhalation of microplastics due to the wearing of masks has rarely been reported. The present study used different types of commonly used masks to conduct breathing simulation experiments and investigate microplastic inhalation risk. Microplastic inhalation caused by reusing masks that underwent various treatment processes was also tested. Results implied that wearing masks considerably reduces the inhalation risk of particles (e.g., granular microplastics and unknown particles) even when they are worn continuously for 720 h. Surgical, cotton, fashion, and activated carbon masks wearing pose higher fiber-like microplastic inhalation risk, while all masks generally reduced exposure when used under their supposed time (<4 h). N95 poses less fiber-like microplastic inhalation risk. Reusing masks after they underwent different disinfection pretreatment processes can increase the risk of particle (e.g., granular microplastics) and fiber-like microplastic inhalation. Ultraviolet disinfection exerts a relatively weak effect on fiber-like microplastic inhalation, and thus, it can be recommended as a treatment process for reusing masks if proven effective from microbiological standpoint. Wearing an N95 mask reduces the inhalation risk of spherical-type microplastics by 25.5 times compared with not wearing a mask.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

slugs aren’t bugs, Calvin!

Bardamnu
Jan 23, 2020
I see some super radical news in the arctic sea ice fans community, I screenshot it to friends or family with no editorializing, whatever conversation we were having is instantly over for several days minimum… anyone else have this experience? 😆It works every time no joke.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

yeah but store employees won’t see my smile and that’s a bigger loss

mags
May 30, 2008

fill an n95 with bugs for a safe snack on the go

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

i mask not to protect my lungs, but to provide a convenient feed bag. tip my head back and rattle that poo poo around to get them tasty bugs into me

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

slugs aren't bugs, they are terrestrial gastropod mollusks ☝️🤓

TACD posted:

slugs aren’t bugs, Calvin!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I saw coverage of this somewhere else last week

https://phys.org/news/2024-05-north-pacific-due-china-aerosols.html

quote:

Computer models show heat waves in north Pacific may be due to China reducing aerosols

A team of oceanographers and planetary scientists at the Ocean University of China, working with a pair of colleagues from the U.S. and one in Germany, has found via computer modeling, that recent heat waves in the north Pacific may be due to a large reduction in aerosols emitted by factories in China.

In their paper published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the group describes how they used several climate models and various factors that allowed them to find patterns that might be linked to the reduction of aerosols emitted into the atmosphere by China.

paper: https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2313797121

quote:

Our findings provide an important insight into the mechanisms of the North Pacific ocean-atmosphere changes, highlighting the need to consider the exacerbated risks arising from a reduction in anthropogenic aerosol emissions in assessment of climate change impacts.

Aerosol... unmasking?

Has anyone with credentials run models on what happens if we stop all the other pollution at once without reducing fossil consumption? It's probably fine.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

the bugs are ground up into a powder anyways, it's not like they are given to you whole and you have to crunch them down yourself

they are already in things like peanut butter and stuff

mags
May 30, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

the bugs are ground up into a powder anyways, it's not like they are given to you whole and you have to crunch them down yourself

they are already in things like peanut butter and stuff

so yr saying filling my mask with bugs is even easier than i think it is

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cabbages and VHS posted:

Aerosol... unmasking?

Has anyone with credentials run models on what happens if we stop all the other pollution at once without reducing fossil consumption? It's probably fine.

it's come up before, would be an instant 1c increase iirc

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

a mask designed to filter particles actually filters particles?!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zodium posted:

been talking to the doctor about my albedo problems

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
The Collapse Is Coming. Will Humanity Adapt?

quote:

Peter Watts: — and I would argue that most people — I mean, I’m kind of on your side in this, but I’m also increasingly sympathetic to the human extinction movement. I think most people are hoping for recovery in less geological terms, timescale-wise.

if anybody is having trouble thinking of a holiday gift for peter watts just remember a forums account is only ten bux

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Zodium posted:

That would be at the very highest end of estimates. More typically cited as 0.4C to 0.6C of cooling loss by sulfate aerosols when they are removed.

The biggest issue here is less the static figure of warming introduced, but rather the rapidity at which that warming is introduced. Sulfate aerosols fall from the atmosphere very quickly in climactic terms (about three months at the latest). A localized increase of 0.4C to 0.6C within a dozen weeks is a huge, unadaptable strain on local flora, fauna, weather, and climate systems.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Cabbages and VHS posted:

Aerosol... unmasking?

wait wait... I got this one.. ah-HEM: "CHINA IRRESPONSIBLY ENGAGES ON THE PATH OF DEGROWTH, LEAVING ATMOSPHERIC CHAOS BEHIND"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Zodium posted:

FML I saw the magic card and the read "1c increase" and my nerd rear end brain went "huh, that's already a way overcosted thoughtsieze, adding 1 colourless would be stupid"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Popoto posted:

wait wait... I got this one.. ah-HEM: "CHINA IRRESPONSIBLY ENGAGES ON THE PATH OF DEGROWTH, LEAVING ATMOSPHERIC CHAOS BEHIND"

:hmmyes:

I've been reading this brain poisoned place long enough to also have instantly had this thought when I saw the framing of the article so I am glad I have company.

AceClown posted:

FML I saw the magic card and the read "1c increase" and my nerd rear end brain went "huh, that's already a way overcosted thoughtsieze, adding 1 colourless would be stupid"

:laugh: yes if it had any mana value at all attached to it, it's garbage. it exists in 2024 so that Reanimator can protect itself against force of will, and occasionally doubles as an expensive way to thoughtseize yourself into a reanimation spell.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Wakko posted:

The Collapse Is Coming. Will Humanity Adapt?

if anybody is having trouble thinking of a holiday gift for peter watts just remember a forums account is only ten bux

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

That would be at the very highest end of estimates. More typically cited as 0.4C to 0.6C of cooling loss by sulfate aerosols when they are removed.

The biggest issue here is less the static figure of warming introduced, but rather the rapidity at which that warming is introduced. Sulfate aerosols fall from the atmosphere very quickly in climactic terms (about three months at the latest). A localized increase of 0.4C to 0.6C within a dozen weeks is a huge, unadaptable strain on local flora, fauna, weather, and climate systems.

I remember people talking about a warming spike when new IMO fuel rule cut the sulfur content of ship fuel a while back.

I don’t remember any actual numbers though.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Don't worry we will just keep putting ever-more aerosols into the stratosphere and make sure we never stop. After several decades that is the best plan we have come up with lmao

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jiec.13442

quote:

After 50 years, there is still an ongoing debate about the Limits to Growth (LtG) study. This paper recalibrates the 2005 World3-03 model. The input parameters are changed to better match empirical data on world development. An iterative method is used to compute and optimize different parameter sets. This improved parameter set results in a World3 simulation that shows the same overshoot and collapse mode in the coming decade as the original business as usual scenario of the LtG standard run. The main effect of the recalibration update is to raise the peaks of most variables and move them a few years into the future. The parameters with the largest relative changes are those related to industrial capital lifetime, pollution transmission delay, and urban-industrial land development time.
Seems like every few years someone goes back and updates the Limits to Growth study and the results never ever stop being grim

like, this particular recalibration suggests that peak food production has either already happened or is about to happen within the next year

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

SixteenShells posted:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jiec.13442

Seems like every few years someone goes back and updates the Limits to Growth study and the results never ever stop being grim

like, this particular recalibration suggests that peak food production has either already happened or is about to happen within the next year

It's the most realistic assessment ever conducted. Where is more food supposed to come from? Even if you slash and burn everything, the cropland you "create" is still subject to the same rain or lack of rain that growing food depends on. As a species our limits are no longer about fertilizer or arable land but the seasons and weather being amenable to producing food in sufficient mass quantities

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

we are going to blow past 2.5C like we blew past 1.5C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
My favourite historical fact about the Limits to Growth is that it was torpedoed twice (both original and in the revisit) by a young, enterprising, and ambitious neoclassical economist who not only actively misunderstood what he was reading, but did so to advance his career to prestigious levels.

That man is now the father of modern climate change economics.

His name is William Nordhaus.