Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Countblanc posted:

When's FFTA3

never, the world is only suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Let's talk about what XIII's legacy will be in the wake of XV. Will it be viewed more favorably or less?

The perception of XIII's trilogy won't change. It's probably always going to be a something of a faux pas to say XIII (& sequels) are anything above trash in the same way that saying Half-Life 2, GTA 3, Ocarina and Mario 64 aren't the be all and end all. You just don't hear these things in general discussions but you hear the opposites liberally. (I've never played Mario 64, not finished Ocarina having lost interest but not because it was bad, think GTA 3 is super good and pioneering and never felt the HL2 hype at all but have completed it and its episodes)

Though for me, XIII (the first one, not the others) and XV are generally about as good as each other and despite eventually separating from each other with the death of Versus XIII and becoming not linked, they compliment each other extremely well because they both succeed and fail in a bunch of opposite areas. (They share highs and lows too, of course). With XIII, they used what they learned from its initial flop to turn it into something that eventually worked out well. Lightning Returns is real good. FF7R is going to be interesting if they can build on XV as well as XIII-2 and LR built on XIII.

But to summarise a response to the question, XIII is always going to be seen as diarrhoea.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 28, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like FFXIII and FFXV

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i have always been upfront about liking ff13, and who is this guy saying thats a faux pas

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you can make a Final Fantasy that meets FFXIII and FFXV half way between, that would probably be a really good Final Fantasy. The areas wouldn't be corridors but they wouldn't be over large. The combat wouldn't be general action RPG with no huge direction, but it wouldn't be entirely ATB (seems like FF7R uses an ATB a bit based on recent screens?). You'd have the great wonderful perfect amazing Lightning and she'd be with the bros.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i have always been upfront about liking ff13, and who is this guy saying thats a faux pas

Same, but go tell that to some people in the shittier, wider internet and they'll call you a tasteless moron of sorts. (They probably never played Lightning's game because they suck.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The perception of XIII's trilogy won't change. It's probably always going to be a something of a faux pas to say XIII (& sequels) are anything above trash in the same way that saying Half-Life 2, GTA 3, Ocarina and Mario 64 aren't the be all and end all. You just don't hear these things in general discussions but you hear the opposites liberally. (I've never played Mario 64, not finished Ocarina having lost interest but not because it was bad, think GTA 3 is super good and pioneering and never felt the HL2 hype at all but have completed it and its episodes)

Though for me, XIII (the first one, not the others) and XV are generally about as good as each other and despite eventually separating from each other with the death of Versus XIII and becoming not linked, they compliment each other extremely well because they both succeed and fail in a bunch of opposite areas. (They share highs and lows too, of course). With XIII, they used what they learned from its initial flop to turn it into something that eventually worked out well. Lightning Returns is real good. FF7R is going to be interesting if they can build on XV as well as XIII-2 and LR built on XIII.

But to summarise a response to the question, XIII is always going to be seen as diarrhoea.

Good to see someone else who still likes GTA3. A lot of people feel it's just too "primitive" to enjoy these days.

I thought XIII's stock had risen some given all its sales on Steam as well as it's generally favorable rating. I just wasn't sure if XV was so much better that it cast a shadow on XIII.

I myself like XIII but as far as I'm concerned XIII-2 was the peak of the trilogy and I remember it getting a fair amount of praise when it came out.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you can make a Final Fantasy that meets FFXIII and FFXV half way between, that would probably be a really good Final Fantasy. The areas wouldn't be corridors but they wouldn't be over large. The combat wouldn't be general action RPG with no huge direction, but it wouldn't be entirely ATB (seems like FF7R uses an ATB a bit based on recent screens?). You'd have the great wonderful perfect amazing Lightning and she'd be with the bros.

I think I said it before but that would basically be X-3 where lightning joins the gullwings

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lightning joining KH3 is the natural evolution actually

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Countblanc posted:

When's FFTA3

After FFMQ2.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

lightning and sora's big adventure through brer rabbits briar patch

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Good to see someone else who still likes GTA3. A lot of people feel it's just too "primitive" to enjoy these days.

I thought XIII's stock had risen some given all its sales on Steam as well as it's generally favorable rating. I just wasn't sure if XV was so much better that it cast a shadow on XIII.

I myself like XIII but as far as I'm concerned XIII-2 was the peak of the trilogy and I remember it getting a fair amount of praise when it came out.

I'm not gonna go back and play GTA3 any time soon because I prefer Vice City or San An (hard to pick between) but just because it feels rigid and almost all of its design choices wouldn't fly in a 2017 game, that doesn't suddenly make GTA 3 a bad game.

Help Im Alive posted:

I think I said it before but that would basically be X-3 where lightning joins the gullwings

Captain Baal posted:

Both please what's nomura's email

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

That's because it's poo poo, mate

FFXIII is the vaping of Final Fantasies

(that probably makes FFVIII bath salts)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, that's FFIV

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rude.

Besides, that's FF2.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

No, that's FFIV

Sorry, when was vaping perceived as extremely cool and good? :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Sorry, when was vaping perceived as extremely cool and good? :colbert:

Controversial opinion, I don't care for FFIV nor vaping

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The definitive list of final fantasies from best to worst :

1st: 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12
7th: 8, 10
9th: 1, 2
11th: 3
12th: 13
13th: 15

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I somehow don't trust the fridge corn opinion

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aside from 15 being last I have to say I agree with fridge corn on this one. I'd rank 8 a little higher though, that game was so endearingly broken

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ffridge corn is an idiot, hes a gently caress, hes loving idiot, not treal corn

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

there's something in the corn don't eat it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

ffridge corn is an idiot, hes a gently caress, hes loving idiot, not treal corn

it kind of sounds like you're having a stroke my man :ohdear:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhtGc55rpI im gay

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

fridge corn posted:

look at this bad opinion

i think you meant to put 6 at the top alone with tactics directly underrneath it. everything else doesn't matters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

fridge corn posted:

5 is tied for best, this passes all tests I could give it. Although I'd like to know the distance between tiers here, are 1 and 2 just scraping into the field of Good FF Games or are they the best losers?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here are the good FFs from the master

1st: 5, 7, LR, X-2, XIV with Primal Bosses, Bravely Second
2nd: 9, 13, CC, Dissidia/Duodecim, Bravely Default
3rd: 10, FF1, WoFF, Crystal Chronicles
4th, FF8, FF4, FF2, FFXIV before Primal Fights become more of a thing, 12

I haven't played 3 or 11, Dirge of Cerberus gets a special shout out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

poo poo, I mostly agree with this.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Captain Baal posted:

Put 4 in 1st or 2nd tier and this is mostly right. Also I'd have to actually play Dissidia to be able to have opinions on it but I tried and didn't like it. Also missing 6.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

hmm yes yes hmm very interesting

but wrong

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Put 6 behind FF1, but in front of WoFF. I don't have an amazing opinion of that game like a lot of people and honestly kind of like how basic the gameplay and bosses are in 1 compared to the gameplay in 6, but the story is def more engaging.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the good ff's are the ones i like, the bad ones are the ones i dont like

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mandatory lesbian posted:

the good ff's are the ones i like, the bad ones are the ones i dont like

this but replace you with me

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Bravely Default is not a final fantasy game.

I mean it has the jobs
And the spells
And the monsters
And the items

But it is NOT a final fantasy game. :colbert:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
is it tier list time

TOP TIER:
5, 10, 12

PRETTY GOOD TIER:
Tactics, 6, 7, 4, 9

PRETTY GOOD BUT FLAWED TIER:
13, Lightning Returns, 15, 10-2

OKAY, WHATEVER TIER:
8, 1, 2, Type-0

FF3 TIER:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lol at people thinking 12 is redeemable

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I mean it has the jobs
And the spells
And the monsters
And the items

The optional superboss is from a Final Fantasy game ergo it's a Final Fantasy game.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
12 is admittedly not that great a game, but i'm a total sucker for jrpg plots that are about the limits of power and how you can't actually fix the world by murdering people/having the biggest magical superweapon (see also: yggdra union)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Reiterpallasch posted:

OKAY, WHATEVER TIER:
8, 1, 2, Type-0

Rename this the "I guess they are technically Final Fantasy games so they have to be on this list somewhere" tier and it's accurate.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I mean it has the jobs
And the spells
And the monsters
And the items

Hell, once you remove the FF it reveals the story to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forgot about Type-0 which I have a better opinion of than most but I tried playing it again recently and had no idea what I was doing, so yeah