Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You can customize your controls in Modern Warfare 2 and one of things you can do is put basic interactions on press square and any overlapping actions at the same time will be hold instead. Like if you want to reload instead of opening the door. It works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm onto the Tomb of Tihocan in the psx Tomb Raider and I'm really not enjoying this level. It's very annoying to navigate with some very gimmicky rooms, like the random jail with the floor panels that open the doors so you can get the two keys. Also some of the enemy placements are annoying..

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Hades is a pretty good time, but the List of Prophecies really, really doesn't like it when you use a mouse. Everything else in the game works pretty well or at least passably (looking at you, contractor), but the list just freaks out if the mouse goes anywhere near it. Or anywhere away from it. Or moves at all. Or exists.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
My friends and I picked up Splitgate and the moment to moment shooting feels really good, but we cannot for the life of us figure out the maps.

Since the game is basically Halo with portals there can be a lot of tricks an experienced player can pull and the maps are huge and very vertical.

This leads to us encountering people who know how to hold multiple angles using portals and all the movement tricks while I’m over here physically unable to find a path to the objective.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think the person responsible for mouse interfaces on console and press-and-hold confirmation buttons needs to be shot into the sun or at least tied to a sinking boat

Destiny was the worst for this. Move a fake mouse cursor with your control stick to highlight the "Confirm, I would really like to land on this planet please" button and then press and hold the confirm button for five seconds. Not even for just starting missions either, you did it for selecting the planet in general to just gently caress around on a speeder and shoot stuff.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Love it when a game makes looting enemies a press-and-hold. Definitely an action I want to be very careful about not doing accidentally, and certainly not something I'll do hundreds of times over the course of a game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been replaying Link Between Worlds, and I just remembered how much I hate Wallmasters as a concept. Enemies that follow you around to grab you and take you back to the entrance of a dungeon have never been fun. They sucked in NES Zelda, they sucked in every Zelda game that's used them since then, and they've sucked in every other game that's used them as a mechanic. Just stop already :arghfist:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been replaying Link Between Worlds, and I just remembered how much I hate Wallmasters as a concept. Enemies that follow you around to grab you and take you back to the entrance of a dungeon have never been fun. They sucked in NES Zelda, they sucked in every Zelda game that's used them since then, and they've sucked in every other game that's used them as a mechanic. Just stop already :arghfist:

The first time I ever played The Legend of Zelda I was like five years old. I played it at my cousin's house. I got scared when I got to the part where you encounter hands coming out of the walls to drag you back. For like years I would have nightmares of hands coming out of the wall to pull me back in. I didn't even remember the game, but later it was clear that's where I had gotten that weird fear from.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ironically, I think the best version of them was the original ones. Where they actually came crawling out of the walls to chase after you instead of dropping from the ceiling. They're called wall masters, not ceiling masters!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Randalor posted:

Ironically, I think the best version of them was the original ones. Where they actually came crawling out of the walls to chase after you instead of dropping from the ceiling. They're called wall masters, not ceiling masters!

That's why when they try to crawl on the ceiling they lose their grip and drop down.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Triarii posted:

Love it when a game makes looting enemies a press-and-hold. Definitely an action I want to be very careful about not doing accidentally, and certainly not something I'll do hundreds of times over the course of a game.

Haven't played Fry Cry New Dawn or 6, but I will say I definitely hated in 3-5 how I was ALWAYS accidentally swapping my good weapon for the lovely weapon the enemy had when I was trying to look the body. Normally not a hard task to go pick it back up, but there was more than one time I couldn't find the old weapon in some tall grass, or it was on the edge of a cliff and it fell down, lol.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

moosecow333 posted:

My friends and I picked up Splitgate and the moment to moment shooting feels really good, but we cannot for the life of us figure out the maps.

Since the game is basically Halo with portals there can be a lot of tricks an experienced player can pull and the maps are huge and very vertical.

This leads to us encountering people who know how to hold multiple angles using portals and all the movement tricks while I’m over here physically unable to find a path to the objective.

I loved Splitgate but be aware the devs are moving on to the next project now so there won't be any further updates.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Finally seem to have fixed my crashing problem (did a few things so not sure what worked) and now I have to ask why anyone thought Satisfactory needed combat. Seems so utterly pointless to me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Something that sadly drags a disappointing amount of Yakuza games down, that I was sadly reminded of right as I hit that point in Yakuza Kiwami 2 on the same day an Ishin review came out confirming that it also does that: the series apparently can't help but lapse into Japanese conservatism/nationalism at times. The fact it's not a form of that I'm all too familiar with means it can be easy to pass it by for the most part, but I feel like every single game goes just a little too far to the point where even I can notice it at least once.

It usually happens when a group of foreigners gets involved. I didn't plan to learn a new type of racism today, but apparently it was very important for me to learn Japanese prejudices about Korean people.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Yakuza 2 is famous for its "everyone is a secret korean" plot.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This isn't remotely a new problem for Souls games, but I feel like Elden Ring's length and breadth makes it way worse: Loot progression.

If you find an early weapon you like - and DS1 for instance has several top tier weapons available super early on - then it kind of ruins every subsequent weapon you find. Makes the effort of finding them feel pointless. Weapon upgrades make it worse, since you'll need to invest currency and materials to get a new weapon up to speed.

Elden Ring almost fixes this, but only for a limited time. Limgrave is designed such that loot is more about variety and your means of upgrading is limited to +3 while also being relatively generous with the materials to do it if you know where to look.

But the longer the game goes on the worse the problem gets. I'm 80~ hours in, with a maxed weapon and two flavors of maxed spirit ash. And the game is still being coy with things like elaborate secret paths to random new ashes I'm almost certainly not interested in. Being able to unlock infinite supplies of upgrade materials helps with that aspect, but only so much. (Plus they still cost money, so it doesn't wholly remove a potential resource crunch.)

Ironically, I was also getting annoyed with how the second half of the game majorly narrows down and has only opened back up to a limited extent. Ultimately I'm not sure what the solution to the problem is.

On a side note, I wasn't liable to be swayed away from the Big loving Hammer because that's exactly how I roll, but it didn't matter in the end because basically every other new big smashy weapon has been some multi-stat nonsense, usually Faith.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Phigs posted:

Finally seem to have fixed my crashing problem (did a few things so not sure what worked) and now I have to ask why anyone thought Satisfactory needed combat. Seems so utterly pointless to me.

The latest update allows you to set the enemies to passive and it vastly improves the game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Judge Tesla posted:

Yakuza 2 is famous for its "everyone is a secret korean" plot.

I always though "Asians all look alike" was real racist but in Yakuza that's like a plot point in at least three games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

This isn't remotely a new problem for Souls games, but I feel like Elden Ring's length and breadth makes it way worse: Loot progression.

Elden Ring has some issues with its loot for sure. Some weapon types have so many variants that you'll be tripping over them all over the world and are spoiled for choice with what one you want to use in terms of scaling, status effect and weapon art even before getting to the unique ones. But others? You're hosed. The strongest colossal sword in the game is also most likely the first you'll find, and the majority of others are hybrid build weapons. I feel like the game does well enough in terms of letting you be functional, even viable, with almost anything you want. But it has way too many cases of "why would I use the sword I want to, when this other sword I've had the whole game is just flat out better" And that effect is even worse with spells. Why would you use like 90% of the spells when your basic spell stuns most enemies long enough for you to cast it again, and it costs almost nothing allowing you to spam it forever. And for bosses you can just drink the juice that gives you infinite mana and blast the boss with a sustained laser until your infinite mana buff runs out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just sell stuff I know I'm very unlikely to use based on my stat build and try to keep a clean inventory. I'm a caster this go round and don't much plan on ever having 48 strength or whatever until maybe very late game. For some reason, in all these games I mostly wind up becoming attached to and falling in love with one weapon for most of the game and keep some secondary ones around for alternate damage and poo poo.

Loving Elden Ring so far but I'm still loving up the jump/interact button switch and the weird 2-handing input method.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

If you find an early weapon you like - and DS1 for instance has several top tier weapons available super early on - then it kind of ruins every subsequent weapon you find. Makes the effort of finding them feel pointless. Weapon upgrades make it worse, since you'll need to invest currency and materials to get a new weapon up to speed.

Elden Ring almost fixes this, but only for a limited time. Limgrave is designed such that loot is more about variety and your means of upgrading is limited to +3 while also being relatively generous with the materials to do it if you know where to look.

But the longer the game goes on the worse the problem gets. I'm 80~ hours in, with a maxed weapon and two flavors of maxed spirit ash. And the game is still being coy with things like elaborate secret paths to random new ashes I'm almost certainly not interested in. Being able to unlock infinite supplies of upgrade materials helps with that aspect, but only so much. (Plus they still cost money, so it doesn't wholly remove a potential resource crunch.)

Ironically, I was also getting annoyed with how the second half of the game majorly narrows down and has only opened back up to a limited extent. Ultimately I'm not sure what the solution to the problem is.

On a side note, I wasn't liable to be swayed away from the Big loving Hammer because that's exactly how I roll, but it didn't matter in the end because basically every other new big smashy weapon has been some multi-stat nonsense, usually Faith.

One thing I like about Elden Ring is that it pretty much fixes the problem with cool, fancy weapons being flatly worse then a longsword+15 which felt like the case for a lot of the Souls games. Which is good because for some reason they made the stone for upgrading regular weapons annoyingly hard to come by compared to the special stuff.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On the one hand, I respect that Elden Ring making the gimmick-weapon upgrade material stretch much further than the core one allowed you to experiment much more with gimmick weapons and appreciate something cool.

On the other hand, it's fixing a problem that didn't need to exist in the first place. Why do you need to upgrade your weapons to match your enemies' power level to begin with? If you want every weapon to be potentially viable in the endgame, why not just have all of them scale directly off your stats, so you can swap weapons in and out as you like?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Need something to fill the 10,000 chests of your open world

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Like a lot of From games, Elden Ring has a bunch of weapons and gear that are theoretically obtainable very early but rely on the player "just kind of knowing" where they are located. The open world structure means that you can stretch this out to some absurd degrees and have like 6 +8 crimson flasks and a +9 Serpent Hunter before you even face Margit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kazil posted:

Yeah, it feels a lot like the 1UPs in 3D Mario.

exquisite tea posted:

Like a lot of From games, Elden Ring has a bunch of weapons and gear that are theoretically obtainable very early but rely on the player "just kind of knowing" where they are located. The open world structure means that you can stretch this out to some absurd degrees and have like 6 +8 crimson flasks and a +9 Serpent Hunter before you even face Margit.

That's a consequence of it being fully open world, though. Do you ever need to fight Margit?

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Feb 18, 2023

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Hi-Fi Rush: Delightful game overall, but there are two things dragging it down for me.

- It’s the year 2023 and we’re still making people relisten to pre-battle conversations if they die during a fight.
- I’m perfectly fine with rhythm games and have no problem with the other rhythm-based aspects of this one, but sometimes the forced-parry sequences just don’t connect, and I have no idea why.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Moon Monster posted:

That's a consequence of it being fully open world, though. Do you ever need to fight Margit?

He keeps you from getting to Godrick, and I'm pretty sure his rune is not optional.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Nope, you only need two great tunes to get to Leyndell and there’s three other options including Rykard. You’d basically just be ignoring him as a flex since he drops one of the talisman pouches.

Although you can come back to his boss arena after killing the real non-astral projection version of him and it just gets shoved in your inventory anyway!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

He keeps you from getting to Godrick, and I'm pretty sure his rune is not optional.

You need two shardbearers, but Godrick is one of 5. Margit has one of the items that gives you another ring slot, so you shouldn't skip him, but I'm pretty sure you can.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tenebrais posted:

On the one hand, I respect that Elden Ring making the gimmick-weapon upgrade material stretch much further than the core one allowed you to experiment much more with gimmick weapons and appreciate something cool.

On the other hand, it's fixing a problem that didn't need to exist in the first place. Why do you need to upgrade your weapons to match your enemies' power level to begin with? If you want every weapon to be potentially viable in the endgame, why not just have all of them scale directly off your stats, so you can swap weapons in and out as you like?

Cause it's fun and delivers the dopamine rush of discovering smithing stones, leveling up and trying out new poo poo that makes exploration fun? It forces you into decisions where you're like "do I pump one more point into DEX to try out that epee or build my VIT to raise my HP?". I like the dilemma it puts you in that makes you weigh how to use your souls/runes in the most efficient way.

Seems to me, the opposite alternative is the BotW approach where none of that poo poo matters and you just grab a stick every 5 minutes/whacks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
FWIW, I think they've largely fixed the upgrade material problem. There's still bottlenecks you can run into, but the couple of times I have felt like my upgrade progression has stalled the answer has been, somewhat unsurprisingly, to just go hit up the mine in whatever area I'm up to now and suddenly my weapon jumps 3-4 levels.

Though what I then start thinking about is the contradictory way these two things intersect - presumably weapons have a whopping 25 levels of upgrades in order to better match the pace of the long, open world nature of the game. But then so much of the raw upgrade material comes solely from specific locations within the world and everything else is a random dripfeed from loot. So instead of slowly building up levels in a granular way, it's been in noticeable spurts whenever I get another clutch of stones. I suspect the root issue has to do with the cost of topping out each tier - 6 stones always feels like a big investment - while also creating a weird sawtooth pattern because as soon as you spend 6 to cap out one tier you can spend a single stone of the next level up to get started in that one. It feels weird.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Moon Monster posted:

You need two shardbearers, but Godrick is one of 5. Margit has one of the items that gives you another ring slot, so you shouldn't skip him, but I'm pretty sure you can.

That and Godrick's rune is pretty much the best one.

I have definitely had situations where I've killed two rune bearers and still not been able to get into Leyndell--I think Rennala's rune doesn't actually count because you can't equip it? I can see killing Ryckard before Leyndell, on about the level of Radahn, but killing Mohg before then sounds like something you'd only do on a challenge run.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

On the subject of "fixing the loot" in Elden Ring, I love the Diablo Loot mod because gear can only be upgraded 2 times and so you are encouraged to mix it up and use new poo poo as you progress through the Lands Between.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Hogwarts Legacy - the FOV in certain spots is *hosed* and if you turn the camera away from a person while they are speaking their voice volume drops to zero

Otherwise pretty entertaining

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Problem:

kazil posted:

Solution:

8x mushroom

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Continuing my run of Mario RPGs by playing Paper Jam for the first time in ages. I forgot they took out the little number counter that let you add an extra bonus to one stat at every level-up. I have no idea why they'd do that, working your way up into some alternate build like making Luigi a power/luck monster was one of the most fun things about those games :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finished Fire Emblem: Engage the other day, and after thinking about it, there's one part of the final mission that I felt was a serious letdown. Spoilers for the final mission, obviously.

The Dark Emblems. Echoes of some of the greatest monsters from across the FE multiverse: Medeus, Duma, Loptous, Veld, Idunn, Nergal, Fomortiis, Ashnard, Ashera, Grima, Anankos, and Nemesis. A full suite of them to oppose your own cast of echoes of the greatest heroes.

And... they all have completely generic models, speak exactly two lines each, go down like chumps, serve no purpose but to be the sources of buffs for the final boss for you to kill and remove, and you have to sandbag to even see them all because the boss only summons them slowly and it's trivial to kill the final boss without even finishing out the first four he summons.

Hell, I blasted Veld into oblivion with Citrinne, who wasn't even bonded with Leif to get the bonus against Veld, because he was just that weak. And ignored Ashera because I didn't need to travel that far into that part of the arena and just focused the boss down.

For a game billed as a big anniversary love letter to the series, that was one hell of a phoned in finale.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

One thing they could do with the weapon upgrade materials is make them affect weapons globally, so like you'd spend your first smithing stone and ALL weapons are +1 now. Frame it like you're upgrading the smith himself and he's improving your weapons passively or whatever. That way you keep the Get Loot, Number Go Up without needing to feel locked into a specific weapon.

If they really need to fill up those chests then they could split the stones up into categories, like have sword smithing stones that just upgrade all swords, and axe stones, spear stones, etc (or whatever other categorization you like).

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I just beat megaman legends 1 and 2 for the first time and what's dragging this game down is that capcom will never make megaman legends 3 and finish the loving story.

Also legit copies of misadventures of tron bonne cost an insane amount of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

bossy lady posted:

I just beat megaman legends 1 and 2 for the first time and what's dragging this game down is that capcom will never make megaman legends 3 and finish the loving story.

Also legit copies of misadventures of tron bonne cost an insane amount of money.

welcome to the Sadness Club :(