Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

alas, communists often err by presuming that coexistence with the west is possible

generally the single most consistent mistake communist parties have made in the last two hundred years yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

When you think about it it's actually a moral imperative that we get the Yellowstone supervolcano to erupt as quickly as possible.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
america deserves the great ghost dance

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yellowstone eruption is bad for my 401k can we try another option

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

smoobles posted:

Yellowstone eruption is bad for my 401k can we try another option

of course sir, right away

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Hubbert posted:

of course sir, right away

The S&P 500 was about 4400 when Russia invaded Ukraine. It closed today at 5236. It was not bad advice.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bull in a China Shop

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

arms dealing makes Number happy

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Blazin’ makes me feel good

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The S&P 500 was about 4400 when Russia invaded Ukraine. It closed today at 5236. It was not bad advice.

what about March 4, 2022

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cmm330y6d2qo

:hai:

quote:

Yacht sinks after being rammed by orcas in Strait of Gibraltar

A sailing yacht has sunk in Moroccan waters in the Strait of Gibraltar after being rammed by an unknown number of orcas, Spain's maritime rescue services said.

Two people onboard the vessel, Alboran Cognac, were rescued by a passing oil tanker, after the incident at 0900 local time (0800 BST) on Sunday.

It is the latest in a series of orca rammings of vessels around the Strait of Gibraltar over the past four years.

Experts believe them to involve a subpopulation of about 15 orcas given the designation "Gladis".

The research group GTOA, which tracks the population of the Iberian orca sub-species, has documented nearly 700 interactions involving the species, since the attacks were first reported in May 2020.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

thinking about inventing quamtum fascism

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Zodium posted:

is this tech the orcas can use?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

i think eco fascism is bad UNLESS I am in charger of eco fascism, then I could make it good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i loving love Sword of the Stars

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Zodium posted:

Impose order on the subparticles

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

smoobles posted:

i think eco fascism is bad UNLESS I am in charger of eco fascism, then I could make it good

what are the principles of smoobles-based eco-fascism

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Gladis... Gladio... coincidence?? You decide

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

Gladis... Gladio... coincidence?? You decide

gladiorca

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

someone showed the whales Star Trek IV

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Zodium posted:

just need some flashy uniforms and you're all set

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i don't think even a goon could overturn a canoe by flopping themselves into from the water. how are orcas doing it with a much bigger weight differential. it seems like there is something we can learn from orcas.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The hull of most yachts is going to be a couple layers of ~1/4" fiberglass with either a balsa or foam core. If I had as fat a head as an orca, I'd bet that I could do better than a dent.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

their thing for killing whales and sharks and seals is to just hit them as hard as they can at full speed, to crack rib cages and break spines and stuff

and they do coordinated wave-creation in the arctic to tip over ice sheets with seals on them

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 18:03 on May 15, 2024

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

maxwellhill posted:

i don't think even a goon could overturn a canoe by flopping themselves into from the water. how are orcas doing it with a much bigger weight differential. it seems like there is something we can learn from orcas.

They hit the vessel in a synchronized rhythm that gradually rocks it further and further. They're basically exploiting the idea of driven oscillations.

Kedzie
Dec 13, 2004

they all float down here
Have any oligarchs put a hit out on this subpopulation of fifteen "problematic" orcas? If not, why not?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

mdemone posted:

They hit the vessel in a synchronized rhythm that gradually rocks it further and further. They're basically exploiting the idea of driven oscillations.

[muttering]

man, I need an orca hat. big fan

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Kedzie posted:

Have any oligarchs put a hit out on this subpopulation of fifteen "problematic" orcas? If not, why not?

yeah , they're at the bottom of the sea

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Opted for a carbon offset for my car rental this weekend. Only 75 cents to mitigate the damage from driving 400 miles. At this rate the planet will be saved in no time :dumb:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hubbert posted:

what are the principles of smoobles-based eco-fascism

we take all the billionaires money and then do communism and build trains everywhere

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

maxwellhill posted:

never canoed before?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smoobles posted:

and then do communism

you can't do that, that's communism

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I heard southeast asias getting some wetbulb moments thats hosed

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
wetbruh moment

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

dang that sucks, good thing itnwont affect me at any point in the future

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Stairmaster posted:

That's good, I was told this was the thing that would make everyone stop with doing business as usual and fully tackle climate change

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Dokapon Findom posted:

I was told this was the thing that would make everyone stop with doing business as usual and fully tackle climate change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k

Kedzie
Dec 13, 2004

they all float down here
I’ve liquidated my assets into Carbon Coins, and I trust you all have as well. To our glorious post climate change future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
gonna get my bulb wet