Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What happened to the F15x?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What does SpaceX use? Ruby? JavaScript?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
The F-35 is mostly written in C++, although they use a restricted subset of the language with no dynamic memory allocation or exceptions. Modern tooling allows you to do a lot with the language without sticking to Ada.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

priznat posted:

VHDL (one of the two main languages for designing integrated circuits) is based on Ada and I much prefer it to the other one, Verilog. It was developed at the behest of the DoD as a way of documenting the workings of ICs which used to be designed in schematic form.

It also incorporates an acronym in an acronym which seems like a very military thing to do.

Can verify that VHDL is cool and very useful.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hauldren Collider posted:

Linters, macros, other compile-time checks, various libraries for assertions and so on.
The tools that would really be useful for this space are things like static analyzers and model-based test generators. I have no idea what the Ada ecosystem looks like but given the amount of military code written in it I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some pretty hefty tools in that area.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

NightGyr posted:

The F-35 is mostly written in C++, although they use a restricted subset of the language with no dynamic memory allocation or exceptions.

Isn't that one of the big draws of Rust? Though I doubt the government would use a language without an ISO cert.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

david_a posted:

The tools that would really be useful for this space are things like static analyzers and model-based test generators. I have no idea what the Ada ecosystem looks like but given the amount of military code written in it I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some pretty hefty tools in that area.

Probably, but I would guess that whatever tools like these that are available for Ada are also available for C++ at a much lower price.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Isn't that one of the big draws of Rust? Though I doubt the government would use a language without an ISO cert.

Rust is very cool but a language at its level of maturity is probably inappropriate for aerospace. Maybe in a few years.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Why didn't they ski ramp those?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kesper North posted:

What does SpaceX use? Ruby? JavaScript?

Can I make the obvious joke and say Unity?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

A million nerds at a million KSP installs.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

priznat posted:

Reduces the useful deck space (especially for helicopters) and increases wear on the planes for a pretty minimal max ordnance load advantage.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 19, 2019

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

priznat posted:

Their main task is putting marines ashore via helicopters and V-22’s which a ramp would hinder.

The F-35s and AV-8s can manage without so there was no reason for it.

If they were designed as STOVL carriers exclusively like other countries have then they might have put a ramp in.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Bet if we get in a big deal peer war they'll just be used as carriers anyway.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

KF-35B

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hauldren Collider posted:

Probably, but I would guess that whatever tools like these that are available for Ada are also available for C++ at a much lower price.

C++ and Ada aren't interchangeable. Ada has a much stricter type system for a reason. Javascript is even more widespread, surely it has the same tools of equal effectiveness for even cheaper!

Not that aerospace is, you know, known for price sensitivity when it comes to software tools.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 19, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

priznat posted:

As stated the Navy takes a hard stance that they are marine movers first and carriers second, and the ramp eats up the forwardmost landing area and the areas below deck to support it. While the LHAs can support up to 24 F-35Bs (or Harriers) the fixed wing deployment is usually 1/3 of that; what's notable about that picture is that 13 is the most ever seen on a LHD/LHA. It's also worth noting that per the SARs from the F-35 program reviews the F-35B has demonstrated take off from the 600ft flight deck run of an LHD with (2) AMRAAMs and (2) 1000lb JDAMs internally and still outperform the F-18A/C from a CVN in terms of combat radius.

The next ships in the America class LHAs are called Flight Is and return to the Well deck configuration.

Here's a decent article on the differences between the Wasp, first 2 boats in the America class, and the upcoming LHA-8 subclass.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/20201/the-next-america-class-amphibious-assault-ship-will-almost-be-in-a-class-of-its-own

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 19, 2019

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

feedmegin posted:

C++ and Ada aren't interchangeable. Ada has a much stricter type system for a reason. Javascript is even more widespread, surely it has the same tools of equal effectiveness for even cheaper!

Not that aerospace is, you know, known for price sensitivity when it comes to software tools.

I strongly doubt that Ada has a stricter type system. Both of them are unsound as I believe Ada has C-style unions, and the C++ system is much more expressive through templates. In addition C++ now has anonymous functions.

As for them being interchangeable, no, I think they literally are interchangeable. Not even from glibly citing Turing completeness, they can presumably call each other fine through FFIs.

EDIT: Regarding the Javascript comment, JavaScript would be unacceptable in a real-time system because of garbage collection pauses. Otherwise it'd be perfectly plausible with appropriate checks and tooling (probably TypeScript), and in fact is in use in a high-reliability aerospace project: http://www.stsci.edu/~idash/pub/dashevsky0607rcsgso.pdf

That said it would certainly not be my first choice.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 19, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

not broke don't fix. do not anger magic box that make plane fly / run bank- project managers and CEOs

As an anecdote, the NYPD used a heavily modified version of Pan Am flight booking software for 911 dispatch until about 2012 or so when it was replaced, at great expense, with a new modern system, which was significantly less functional than the proposed, and already completed GUI overlay on the existing mainframe system.

The first day it was deployed live was a complete and utter disaster that was solved by having people running back and forth from 911 to EMS/fdny/police dispatch rooms with hastily written notecards.

unless you have a good reason, don't touch magic box

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 19, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Navy putting a 150kw laser on an LHD soon

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 19, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Mazz posted:

Navy putting a 150kw laser on an LHD soon

anyone remember the game Carrier Command

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Smiling Jack posted:

anyone remember the game Carrier Command

poo poo that game owned, I had it for my Amiga. Carrier (with laser turret), plane and landing craft. It was really drat cool and way ahead of its time with a rather large world to explore.

This was the original I never played the remake.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I didn't know there was a remake.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

do not taunt magic fun box

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

do not taunt magic fun box

never touch the magic / more magic switch

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mortabis posted:

Bet if we get in a big deal peer war they'll just be used as targets anyway.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ace Combat 10 is gonna be 99% cutscreens.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stairmaster posted:

What happened to the F15x?

If we're lucky Congress passes a budget once a year. It hasn't happened yet. Boeing expects the Air Force to actually PAY for these airplanes, so nothing has actually happened yet.

Oh look. A 1-2 day DCA cap. If they have enough spare parts.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Oh look. A 1-2 day DCA cap. If they have enough spare parts.

Pretty sure “persistent DCA Cap” is the worst possible use of a big deck one can even begin to find other than minesweeper.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Pretty sure “persistent DCA Cap” is the worst possible use of a big deck one can even begin to find other than minesweeper.

Unless you're operating in an environment where you don't have the USAF or a real carrier to protect you (Henderson Field!). Nobody's parking that thing somewhere strictly for DCA, but it's a pretty critical mission when you're actually doing something invasion-ish. And self-protection for the ship is going consume a significant portion of its fixed-wing assets.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also persistent DCA is a mission a Navy nuclear carrier cannot accomplish. Same problem if you have a couple USAF fighter squadrons.

Complaining that a big deck can’t do persistent DCA is like complaining that an armor brigade can’t fly.

It’s true, but a pointless observation.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I assume DCA is something counter-air? If a couple air force squadrons can't do that, and a big deck carrier can't do that, what can do that?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Complaining that a big deck can’t do persistent DCA is like complaining that an armor brigade can’t fly.

Friend, have you not heard the good word of Mike Sparks?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

I assume DCA is something counter-air? If a couple air force squadrons can't do that, and a big deck carrier can't do that, what can do that?

Defensive Counter-Air. (Planes flying CAP, basically)

It can be done persistently in a rather limited battle space by:

2 carriers or several ground-based fighter squadrons but also it requires a ton of tankers and C4I and heavy lift to do right for anything more than hours/days.

Carriers fly their squadrons 12 hours a day, as a planning rule. Beyond that you’re surging and burning crew rest and maintenance time.

The hours a section of fighters can stay on CAP is variable, so what might last 4 hours of just staring down the enemy might be waaaay less if shooting and maneuvering, based on gas and weapons.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbViwSt28Q

"Thanks to this expensive transport drone, you can drop one para commando per C-130 used in the operation, and you need to have troops on the ground not too far away anyway to recover the drone, which just just bellyflops on the ground but yeah it'll most certainly buff out, don't worry."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tag yourself:

I'm the exclusive glide ratio.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I really hope the stealth is impressive, because that flight profile is not exactly low-level. Also, have fun using an airlift wing worth of sorties to infiltrate a platoon.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbViwSt28Q

"Thanks to this expensive transport drone, you can drop one para commando per C-130 used in the operation, and you need to have troops on the ground not too far away anyway to recover the drone, which just just bellyflops on the ground but yeah it'll most certainly buff out, don't worry."

Gotta say, it's a promising audition for a Bond movie opening sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Gotta say, it's a promising audition for a Bond movie opening sequence.

It's like the beginning of Quake 2.