Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuns with Guns posted:

This makes me remember the time Criminals Minds had an episode where there were these two serial killers who were basically anime rivals and the source of tension was that one guy was a sad taxi driver who gunned down prostitutes and the other was a handsome guy who strangled white lady joggers in the park and the sad taxi driver freak was upset the other guy got all the attention.

if he wanted the attention, he should have decapitated a swan and drank his blood, imho

edit: the most cursed snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fil5000 posted:

Last Podcast on the Left had an episode fairly early on that was literally just the death tape from Jamestown in full. Like, what? Why would you do that?

Why not? They kept it as a side thing so you didn’t have to listen too it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think stuff like that should be available to the public if it was released, but you should not turn it into part of your podcast brand

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

please imagine a podcast episode entitled 'the full audio tape of celticpredator's family and friends killing themselves and being murdered' with a patreon link below it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If its history go for it. You have my permission.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The worst thing they did and thankfully fuckin never did again was they did do a 911 call episode and it was really hosed up. That was during their edgy age and it shows.

So it’s not all perfect.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
That's history too dude. Personally I don't think either recording should be used in for-profit entertainment ventures.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there should be a fake crime podcast hosted by jonathan frakes

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Jonathan Fakes.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Last Podcast on the Left had an episode fairly early on that was literally just the death tape from Jamestown in full. Like, what? Why would you do that?

my favorite part is how they would do surface level skimming of material, then loudly HAW HAW HAW at some serial killer, then dial it down to sound vaguely sad about the victim before instantly returning to HAW HAW HAW.

incredibly off-putting and that's before the sexual assault allegations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The worst thing they did and thankfully fuckin never did again was they did do a 911 call episode and it was really hosed up. That was during their edgy age and it shows.

So it’s not all perfect.
how is that and the jonestown tape different

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
<writes notes>

911 calls bad
Deaths by poisoning of children good

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't YIIK have an actual ending that properly resolves all the dangling threads? There's no audio but it exists in the games files and players were baffled as why they would cut it.

They're claiming that ending was the secret third ending that no one could find. Except someone did found it soon after release, but they didn't want to confirm it because it wasn't 'found properly'. Though you'd have to ignore the fact that one of the early demos had the full script in its files that ended with that ending.

There's also that other ending that got uploaded to YouTube by totally-not-a-dev. That ending wasn't even in the files until their 2020 patch. (Long after the video ended up on YouTube.)

Again, capacity for bullshit.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 19, 2024

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Triple AAA game
"All Are Alex"

- YIIK Devs

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I don't care much one way or the other about true crime but it's very funny how every conversation about it here has someone go 'True Crime is awful, terrible, disrespectful... Except for the podcast where they do an epic funny Charles Ng accent... That is the good one.'

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Youtube served me up this video made by a high school student about his quest to find the Ramen Joy cookbook. Pretty charming and I enjoyed the surprise interview with Cathy herself and the behind the scenes information on infomercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIObMS5hS0Y

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

But are any of these murder and death recordings played while the podcast host is trying to beat Nikocado Avocado's eating records?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

The MSJ posted:

But are any of these murder and death recordings played while the podcast host is trying to beat Nikocado Avocado's eating records?

I think if you let Youtube Shorts autoplay long enough then it just shows you that

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I remember hearing Jim Jones speak on those during an episode of Casefile, and it's haunting. He so effortlessly turns himself into the victim, and it made me realize that all authoritarians do that. You could hear Trump in him.

But the whole tapes can't contain anything of value. He doesn't speak for long, and most of the tapes are the sounds of the murders he ordered taking place. There's nothing to hear other than misery.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I'll admit to being somewhat into true crime while generally avoiding pretty much every major podcast relating to it. I think there's potential value to be had in media that analyzes this kind of stuff, but it's a very fine line to walk between education and exploitation.

I think what makes the early episodes of LPotL where they played poo poo like the Jonestown Massacre audio in full make "sense" is the fact that prior to the recent True Crime podcast boom there was a lot more of a demographic overlap between people who were big into true crime and serial killers and the sort of people who hung out on places like Ogrish or Rotten.com. Y'know, the people who watched gore videos for fun, who would be really interested in getting their hands on actual recordings made by serial killers. Obviously I don't think that makes the LP episodes in question good (Honestly, I think this sort of material represents my least favorite aspects of true crime and directly using that kind of material for "content" is super gross and bad), but I think it at least explains why they wouldn't immediately realize making those episodes was a terrible idea.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

KingKalamari posted:

I'll admit to being somewhat into true crime while generally avoiding pretty much every major podcast relating to it. I think there's potential value to be had in media that analyzes this kind of stuff, but it's a very fine line to walk between education and exploitation.

I think what makes the early episodes of LPotL where they played poo poo like the Jonestown Massacre audio in full make "sense" is the fact that prior to the recent True Crime podcast boom there was a lot more of a demographic overlap between people who were big into true crime and serial killers and the sort of people who hung out on places like Ogrish or Rotten.com. Y'know, the people who watched gore videos for fun, who would be really interested in getting their hands on actual recordings made by serial killers. Obviously I don't think that makes the LP episodes in question good (Honestly, I think this sort of material represents my least favorite aspects of true crime and directly using that kind of material for "content" is super gross and bad), but I think it at least explains why they wouldn't immediately realize making those episodes was a terrible idea.

I only lol about it when it's lpotl fans specifically taking the stance that their podcast is The Good One, not like the Murder Girls or whatever that one everyone always talks about is called

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here is what I might present as the only acceptably ethical true crime.e podcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahmWY-mFEM
Incredibly dry and stuffy presentation, but providing insight into crimes that have a far wider spread impact than individual murders. And crimes that are often much more complicated than crimes of passion/impulse/emotion

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I prefer listening to true crime about fraud/cybercrime now a few times a year to sidestep the issue entirely. There are some interviews on Darknet Diaries from Silk Road drug/fake ID/other contraband sellers that are fascinating.

Although also really sad because some of them are just kids that go way down the wrong path in high school.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

mycatscrimes posted:

I only lol about it when it's lpotl fans specifically taking the stance that their podcast is The Good One, not like the Murder Girls or whatever that one everyone always talks about is called

There was actually a period where I listened to a bunch of LPotL and, yeah, I think the idea of trying to present it as morally superior to other true crime podcasts is pretty silly. I think the one thing it does better than a lot of other true crime media is that it doesn't try to hype up the killers it features as cunning masterminds too smart for the cops and instead does a decent job of highlighting how most of these guys are dumb fuckups who only managed to succeed because the cops were even dumber fuckups, however this doesn't offset the other problems inherent to the podcast.

Oddly enough, the thing that ended up turning me off the podcast shortly before the abuse allegations against Kissel came to light was how Marcus and Henry started going preemptively aggro against anyone who was skeptical about UFO stuff whenever they did an episode on it? Not even in a "Okay guys, let's not get a flame war going in the comments section over whether UFOs exist or not" but more like they were personally offended by the idea of people looking for non-supernatural explanations for UFO encounters? They also seemed to laser focus on countering the idea that witnesses are just making poo poo up for money or attention, while ignoring the much more common occurrence of people just being mistaken, or deceived, or flat out hallucinating (Your brain can just got crazy sometimes for little to no reason). It was very weird and also highlighted a weird double-standard for how they approach eyewitness testimony where, when they're doing true crime poo poo they'll often highlight the unreliability of these kinds of accounts, but when it's for UFO stuff they will always take the accounts of the witness entirely at face value, even when those accounts contradict other observations or evidence.

I also absolutely can't stand the way that Henry has to tie literally everything back into Dumb Occult bullshit. How every time a new philosophical or cultural concept comes up he has to tie it back into LaVeyan Satanism as though it's some kind of absolute truth that runs through the human collective unconscious at the universal level. It's especially grating when he does it for indigenous religious and cultural practices that predate the occult bullshit he's into by centuries. Also the fact that he seems to think LaVeyan Satanism is the only manifestation of Satanism that has ever existed.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 19, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

I prefer listening to true crime about fraud/cybercrime now a few times a year to sidestep the issue entirely. There are some interviews on Darknet Diaries from Silk Road drug/fake ID/other contraband sellers that are fascinating.

Although also really sad because some of them are just kids that go way down the wrong path in high school.
Agreed. Darknet Diaries is a good one too, but Jack seems a little too eager to buy in / parrot the gov line when it comes to 3 letter agencies.
I wonder how someone who uncritically talks up the NSA as the "good guys protecting America" gets such open interviews with people like darknet vendors, etc.

I don't think he's way off base, but is a bit to willing to eat up copaganda.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

B33rChiller posted:

Agreed. Darknet Diaries is a good one too, but Jack seems a little too eager to buy in / parrot the gov line when it comes to 3 letter agencies.
I wonder how someone who uncritically talks up the NSA as the "good guys protecting America" gets such open interviews with people like darknet vendors, etc.

Idk how old he is but he has always come off as sort of young and still kinda stupid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've only listened to a smattering of Last Podcast on the Left because I didn't find them funny and UFOs and ghosts aren't real so can't take anyone even slightly seriously who believes in them but I will give them props for leaving out Donald Gaskins's most heinous crime in their episode about him.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

Idk how old he is but he has always come off as sort of young and still kinda stupid.

That makes sense. I'm thinking he likely has a good reputation for not disclosing private information about his interview subjects. He must have a good skill set for putting people at ease and getting them to share their tales.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

quote:

I was trying to make the video game version of a Chuck Palahniuk novel, or a Haruki Murakami novel.

cumpantry posted:

just loving lol

An absolutely grim indictment on the state of modern literary awareness that this doofus tries to dunk on people with a baby's first lit fic starter kit

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Bioshock is art because it's a dunk on Libertarians from start to finish and if that isn't art I don't know what is

what if i told you that wasnt the intention of bioshock and that ken levine is dumb as hell

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

ime the letter agencies are inherent to the entire field of cybersec, and not just the US. It was wild taking infosec classes with shy Saudi kids who would quietly mention they were going back home to work for the Saudi security state.

it's a real problem in the industry.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Groovelord Neato posted:

leaving out Donald Gaskins's most heinous crime in their episode about him.

I googled this guy and he apparently adamantly claimed that the very clearly knife-based throat slicing he did to someone was actually caused via karate chop and you know what.... If all criminals had a poo poo posting ability like that I would understand true crime more

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what if i told you that wasnt the intention of bioshock and that ken levine is dumb as hell

Kevin Levine: A man in desperate need of a second idea.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't YIIK have an actual ending that properly resolves all the dangling threads? There's no audio but it exists in the games files and players were baffled as why they would cut it.

You’re half remembering the even dumber truth:

The “real” ending is only available on YouTube, where a random account posted a gameplay video where they enter a building that isn’t enterable in the actual game that contains the ending. Iirc the devs never confirmed it was even them but it’d be very hard to fake an entire new ending in that games style for a weird fan project.

No one knows why they did this and it’s an incredibly bizarre move, but with all the other weird stuff around yiik it’s not really surprising they’d do another inexplicable and stupid thing

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

dangerburrd posted:

You’re half remembering the even dumber truth:

The “real” ending is only available on YouTube, where a random account posted a gameplay video where they enter a building that isn’t enterable in the actual game that contains the ending. Iirc the devs never confirmed it was even them but it’d be very hard to fake an entire new ending in that games style for a weird fan project.

No one knows why they did this and it’s an incredibly bizarre move, but with all the other weird stuff around yiik it’s not really surprising they’d do another inexplicable and stupid thing

I feel I appreciate Yiik more now as a game I will never play! I hope the devs never stop working on it

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The best true crime podcast is Done Disappeared with John David Booter

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

does YIIK guy have a copy of Infinite Jest and does it show up in the game

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
kevin levine is in desperate need of a first idea

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The actual only interesting true crime thing was a podcast I listened to where it was a guy just reading old timey newspaper articles about wild west murders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bioschlock.