Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

when and why did "X" replace "&"? Like, I just listened to a podcast featuring Guest X Guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

It's very possible the Supreme Court is going to nuke nationwide gay marriage in the next couple of years, so that's gonna be a hit to the "I can just live in a blue city in a red state" possibilities for anyone in the LGBTQ community.

Yeah whether you can make it in a blue city in a red state will depend a lot on your life / who you are. LGBTQ stuff, unemployment, healthcare, all depend on state.

If none of those things affect you then yeah, you can definitely get along fine, socially speaking, in a blue city in a red state.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Is there some kind of utility I can run to monitor my internet connection quality/speed/ping/etc and just generate a report of it over the course of a day or two? My connection has been poo poo for a while and my ISP came out and was able to tell me it's not my router (because it still had issues when connected directly to the PoE) and that it seemed like it was some device on their infrastructure somewhere, but they haven't fixed it yet. I want something with more granularity and detail than just running the occasional speed test, in part because I feel like my issues aren't just speed but stability. It'll dip for a few seconds but by the time I initiate a speed test, it has picked back up, so it's hard to track.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Nighthand posted:

Is there some kind of utility I can run to monitor my internet connection quality/speed/ping/etc and just generate a report of it over the course of a day or two? My connection has been poo poo for a while and my ISP came out and was able to tell me it's not my router (because it still had issues when connected directly to the PoE) and that it seemed like it was some device on their infrastructure somewhere, but they haven't fixed it yet. I want something with more granularity and detail than just running the occasional speed test, in part because I feel like my issues aren't just speed but stability. It'll dip for a few seconds but by the time I initiate a speed test, it has picked back up, so it's hard to track.

It might not have the level of detail you're looking for, but Testmy.net automatic speed test was what I used to automatically record connection speed at set intervals to help document an intermittent ISP issue for someone.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanatosian posted:

It's very possible the Supreme Court is going to nuke nationwide gay marriage in the next couple of years, so that's gonna be a hit to the "I can just live in a blue city in a red state" possibilities for anyone in the LGBTQ community.

That’s certainly a risk to weigh, for sure, but at least on that particular issue I think that ship has sailed and wouldn’t be the winning political proposition it was 15 years ago. I’m gay and live in a red state and am from an even redder state, and my Very Conservative cousins in Rural Small Southern Town X have a married gay couple as the choirmaster and organist at their (admittedly episcopalian, but definitely not liberal) church, and I think that has probably changed their opinions on gay marriage in the last 5? years. The world didn’t end like they thought it might. It’s one small area I am actually optimistic about as a red state resident. Hell, it’s a pretty open secret that Lindsay Graham and the governor of Alabama are gay and lesbian respectively and they keep getting re-elected.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

colas posted:

when and why did "X" replace "&"? Like, I just listened to a podcast featuring Guest X Guest.

Is that the only example?

I've never seen X replace &. Does it replace it phonetically? Like, if you see X would you read "and"? I've sometimes seen it shorthand for "versus" but that's pretty rare.

There is something I've been wondering but I don't even know how to properly phrase the question, so I'm hoping if I just spill it out right here maybe someone can piece it together and tell me what it is I'm trying to ask?

The simple question is, is iambic pentameter aesthetically pleasing by reasons that are backed by math? So, you know how in many things, including paintings, sculptures, landscapes, they follow the golden ratio and Pythagorean formulas, and how music stays in key to sound "good." Iambic pentameter has been in use for poetry forever, but in particular plays and speeches and whatnot. It's less used now, but it's still there, and I wonder why it lasted so long as the kind of go-to formula for speaking in verse.

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 10, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

credburn posted:

The simple question is, is iambic pentameter aesthetically pleasing by reasons that are backed by math? So, you know how in many things, including paintings, sculptures, landscapes, they follow the golden ratio and Pythagorean formulas, and how music stays in key to sound "good." Iambic pentameter has been in use for poetry forever, but in particular plays and speeches and whatnot.

its basically just a popular meter (in english) and most kinds of meters as well as rhymes and other little tricks like alliteration sound pleasing to the ear because most peoples brains love patterns and repetition on both a consious and unconscious level.

iambic pentameter in particular works well with the construction of english words and phrases, it's not universal and i dont think it could be applied as well in all languages, but there are of course all kinds of other meters and rhythms and rhyming patterns etc used in different languages

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Also, while iambic pentameter is very common, it's not the only kind of meter. There's also trochaic tetrameter, spondaic pentameter, anapestic tetrameter, and dactylic hexameter.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

colas posted:

I’ve seen it done sometimes as a stylistic thing, just like “+” also being used to represent the word ‘and’.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

colas posted:

I believe the use of X instead of & comes from EDM & modern youth subculture, e.g. Savage x Fenty, remixes might be listed as being SHITMASTER X SOFAFUCKER ANTHEMIC REMIX

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Honestly if it's just podcasts it could simply be that the '&' character fucks with RSS feeds so you don't want to use it if you can help it.

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
Is there a subforum for asking about electrical circuits and the hobbyist modifying thereof?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PersonFromPorlock posted:

Is there a subforum for asking about electrical circuits and the hobbyist modifying thereof?
Hobbies, Crafts & Houses https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210
There’s a thread for wiring (like houses) and there’s also a thread for electronics and one for arduino which is something similar? Some dude is making his own gameboy in a thread too.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

and hence sounds nice, like a drum beat
Iambic meter is just one of the easier ones to conform to in english

As another poster pointed out, other meters exist. Dactylic meter sounds beautiful but it's a bit more difficult to pull off, so you don't see it as much.

Pentameter is not central to the equation imo, i feel like i see iambic tetrameter almost as much as i see pentameter

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mark Forsyth has some great videos on various forms of English verse, including various meters and metrical feet, which is a decent place to start. He breaks down some poems to show how theory becomes practice, as well as providing examples and exercises.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I got a trickle charger for my car battery because it kept not being able to crank the car. However, it's still a problem, even after the charger says it's all topped up. I can still jump it fine. Does this mean the battery is dead, despite the tester at AutoZone saying its probably just low on charge?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
There was a weird cult online that fixated on trump called q are they still around and how are they coping?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Crankit posted:

There was a weird cult online that fixated on trump called q are they still around and how are they coping?

Some of them have come crashing down to earth. Others are convinced that Trump and Biden had surgery to switch bodies and everything will be revealed in early March.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hooah posted:

I got a trickle charger for my car battery because it kept not being able to crank the car. However, it's still a problem, even after the charger says it's all topped up. I can still jump it fine. Does this mean the battery is dead, despite the tester at AutoZone saying its probably just low on charge?

How old is the battery, and do you live in an area that gets very very hot or very very cold? Batteries last anywhere between 3 and 8 years, with the lower number being in areas that either freeze or roast on a regular basis. Getting 5 years out of a battery in an area that does neither is pretty good, and a 6 or 7 year old battery somewhere that has the mildest weather could die without warning.

If you don't know how old it is, batteries have a date code on them that tells you when they were manufactured.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Crankit posted:

There are several in congress now

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I feel like nearly every third commercial I see is specifically dedicated to selling you insurance through really grating and obnoxiously wholesome humor. When the hell did insurance advertising become so pervasive, and why the hell is the format super bad humor?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

dog nougat posted:

I feel like nearly every third commercial I see is specifically dedicated to selling you insurance through really grating and obnoxiously wholesome humor. When the hell did insurance advertising become so pervasive, and why the hell is the format super bad humor?

It appeals to your sense of fear op

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

dog nougat posted:

In 2019 Americans paid $1.32 trillion in insurance premiums. That buys a lot of advertising.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What was the first food delivery app? I'm thinking this concept first started in Asia? China perhaps?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Crankit posted:

Did you just wake up from a coma?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tiggum posted:

Did you just wake up from a coma?

Aw man, how would you even begin to summarise the last year to someone who was in a coma?
There was that kid in the UK but I don’t know what they said to him about it all.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Helith posted:

Aw man, how would you even begin to summarise the last year to someone who was in a coma?

"And then, somehow, it got worse."

Crazy how while driving with my dad we spotted a big Q rabbit vinyl decal on the back of the car in front of us. My dad wondered out loud wtf that sticker meant so I explained it him, "Well dad, you know how pizza restaurants exist..." cut to - guy with big Q shirt being led down the wrong hallway by officer Goodman, and now just about everyone knows what a sticker like that means. Everyone should just listen to reply-all episode about it, they interview 8chan's founder.

QUERY - This video just popped up in my YT about in 2019 Singapore Air did the first, longest non-stop commercial flight NYC to Singapore. @ 19 hours, but isn't that the same US to AUS? I thought US to AUS was actually 20+ hours.

colas fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 11, 2021

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Very thorough discussion of relative flight length here says the New York —> Singapore is the longest nonstop.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

In 2019 Americans paid $1.32 trillion in insurance premiums. That buys a lot of advertising.

Is that health insurance or other insurance? I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a commercial for health insurance how that I think about it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! I will give it serious consideration.

I'll echo what dupersaurus said; R-D is a pretty cool area but I say that as some who's visited, not lived there.

But I also wanted to add to their point that not of the southeast is a cultural wasteland filled with rednecks! I've been in Roanoke VA for about 4 years, and love it.

Pleasant weather with 4 seasons, and we dont get disastrous stuff like earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. Some flooding, but just don't pick a place near the river.

It's got a nice downtown area that feels like a real city, with art galleries and nightclubs and cool shops. But then you can hop in your car and be in the gorgeous Blue Ridge Mtns in like 20-30 minutes to go hiking. So it's got a nice blend of urban and rural.

Plus it's dead cheap compared to SF; if you got a remote tech job that's at all comparable in salary to whatever you can live on being in SF, you could probably get a nice house around the city for way less than 300K, with plenty enough money left over to buy an escape cabin in the mountains one county over.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info, I'm on my phone and suck at typing on it, lol. But yeah, see if Roanoke/Blacksburg appeals! I've lived in Syracuse, Long Island, Hampton Rds VA, and now here, and I've been happiest here. I also have the SAD, and I can say DO NOT move to upstate NY.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Are there any decaf teas (not herbal teas, but actual camellia sinensis that has been decaffeinated) that don't taste like something you brewed using an old Lipton's bag that's on it's third cup? I've tried rooibos which is tasty in its own right, but it just doesn't have the same flavor.

I'm also open to low caffeine teas assuming they're pretty darn low.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Badger of Basra posted:

Is that health insurance or other insurance? I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a commercial for health insurance how that I think about it.

It's not worth advertising for health insurance. Most people are covered either by their employer or by Medicaid, and the ones that aren't generally have one or two choices.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kedo posted:

Are there any decaf teas (not herbal teas, but actual camellia sinensis that has been decaffeinated) that don't taste like something you brewed using an old Lipton's bag that's on it's third cup? I've tried rooibos which is tasty in its own right, but it just doesn't have the same flavor.

I'm also open to low caffeine teas assuming they're pretty darn low.
It’s not as good as the real stuff, but the Twinings decaf Irish breakfast in bags isn’t terrible and is pretty widely available

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is there any way to make it so I get some kind of notification when a thread gets posted in?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

One of the tax forms I got from my bank lists a PO Box as their mailing address. For businesses and such that get a lot of mail and have a PO Box, how does that work? I assume they don’t have one of the small ones in the post office lobby.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

Is there any way to make it so I get some kind of notification when a thread gets posted in?

Bookmark the thread by clicking on the star in the dark blue bar at the top/bottom, then go to your user control panel and you'll get a sort of private "forum" that only has your bookmarked threads.

That's as close as you can get, so far as I'm aware.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I kind of want to make my own cryptocurrency for comedy reasons. But I do want it to be real and finite.

How do I do it?

edit: well as real as a fake comedy currency can be I mean

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

I kind of want to make my own cryptocurrency for comedy reasons. But I do want it to be real and finite.

How do I do it?

edit: well as real as a fake comedy currency can be I mean

Isn't that the concept of dogecoin?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Slimy Hog posted:

Isn't that the concept of dogecoin?

There are thousands of them out there, each dumber than the last. I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Set up a server that plays "guess the number" with clients. If they get the number right, they get awarded one of your pre-generated tokens, and have the responsibility themselves to keep track of it and keep it secret or not as they see fit. All you do is play the game and hand out tokens.

(this does not resemble a "real" cryptocurrency but who gives a poo poo :v:)