Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
When GEN Schoomaker came off of retirement to be CSA his wife received a computer generated condolences letter, as DFAS interpreted the termination of his retirement pay to mean his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

SimonCat posted:

When GEN Schoomaker came off of retirement to be CSA his wife received a computer generated condolences letter, as DFAS interpreted the termination of his retirement pay to mean his death.

Yup, that's the one. They stopped paying him as well.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Back 1991-1992 Army times ran a story about some e1/e2 at in one of the 82nd units who wasn't paid for a couple of years.

Lived in the barracks, ate at the mess hall, etc.

Collected a back pay check of like $65k.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Syrian Lannister posted:

some e1/e2 . . .

Collected a back pay check of like $65k.

Somewhere, a thousand car salesmen got rock hard simultaneously.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I love giving the federal government a multi-year interest free 65k loan

wait no I don't

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That must have been one bitchin’ Camaro.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

To put this in layman's terms imagine trying to make a TurboTax and payroll systemthat works flawlessly with every level of income from minimum wage to doing the taxes for a multi-billionare who has multiple investments, real property, yachts, etc...

And your starting point is a billion lines of uncommented COBALT that was first coded in the 1960s

I have zero experience with the system but I was pentagon payroll adjacent while working on a program for the VA (get hosed mumps) and the horror stories were impressive.

Edit: mumps is a old language used mostly in hospitals and financial systems. Every command can be abbreviated to one letter and comments on mumps code apparently wasn't very popular among older programers, which generally lead to having to analyze every. single. loving. part. to understand what the gently caress was going on.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 20, 2019

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Comments are a double edged sword. Why is good, how is bad, why I didn’t do it that other way is South Park levels of in the middle.

*pushes glasses up nose*

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

In a poor decision, the Canadian federal pay system was revised to modern US military standards, except it was all written in modern languages by programmers over the past couple of years

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

In a poor decision, the Canadian federal pay system was revised to modern US military standards, except it was all written in modern languages by programmers over the past couple of years

Disgusting, I bet they won't even have people getting the wrong BAH rate or other hallmarks of military pay.

Also knowing Canada I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and it turns into a tire fire.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Don Gato posted:

Disgusting, I bet they won't even have people getting the wrong BAH rate or other hallmarks of military pay.

Also knowing Canada I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and it turns into a Canada Tire fire.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Don Gato posted:

1) BAH isn't a thing so yes.
2) Point 1 is the only real good thing that can be said about the system.

Some unlucky individuals have been getting hosed up pay for years. Others who were less desperate just quit the public service altogether I think the government announced they're going to scrap it earlier this year.

Godholio posted:

I picked DCA because it's on my brain...basically all I've been doing all week and will be half of next week, too.

Shield, outta curiosity??

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is that the Phoenix debacle? I haven't been paying that close attention to it but jeezuz.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Guest2553 posted:

Shield, outta curiosity??

I do GCI for the Air Force. We support a bunch of squadrons, TDY units, different platforms. Keeps things interesting.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yep. That’s the Navy. Nothing better than being on a Navy computer, visiting Navy websites, and being warned you’re going to get hacked by China and your CC sold to Putin if you keep going.

It's all because DoD certificates aren't installed by default on modern operating systems.

Thankfully, the DoD has released a tool to install the DoD root certificates. It's helpfully called "INSTALLROOT.EXE" and, were it not 100% signed and verified by the United States Army and behind an authenticated .mil server, I would be confident it's a trojan.

I mean, it lets me access DoD websites which are transparently allowed to spy on all transactions, but that's not the same as COVERTLY spying.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Thankfully, the DoD has released a tool to install the DoD root certificates. It's helpfully called "INSTALLROOT.EXE" and, were it not 100% signed and verified by the United States Army and behind an authenticated .mil server, I would be confident it's a trojan.

Signed and verified... according to the root certificates it just installed? :psyduck:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

Is that the Phoenix debacle? I haven't been paying that close attention to it but jeezuz.

When the inquiry ended an academic was quoted as saying there needed to be mass firings in the senor levels of the civil service as clearly the culture was just septic

e: New Raider X video. (Um guys something else is called the Raider.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpQC_qpkRRE

Is "digitally designed" the new "created on paper first?"

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 21, 2019

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Nebakenezzer posted:

When the inquiry ended an academic was quoted as saying there needed to be mass firings in the senor levels of the civil service as clearly the culture was just septic

e: New Raider X video. (Um guys something else is called the Raider.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpQC_qpkRRE

Is "digitally designed" the new "created on paper first?"

Yep, digitally designed is just that... WE DON'T NEED PAPERS NO MORE.

The Raider X does sound badass.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

counter rotating props and a pusher prop gently caress yeah

gearbox/transmission must be a nightmare tho

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
What could possibly go wrong with another nuclear power in the Middle East?

https://twitter.com/HeidiNBC/status/1186257936210903040?s=20

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Someone better do an inventory of the B61s

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

All 5040 accounted for!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Seems like a good opportunity to finally resolve the northern cyprus issue doesn't it

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Greeks are gonna love that

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Captain von Trapp posted:

Signed and verified... according to the root certificates it just installed? :psyduck:

X.509 PKI is not necessarily the same as signed software, the root cert is probably the one that signs the .mil internal certs for poo poo like web and mail servers.

If you have the weight behind you to do it, ban execution outright of any software not signed. It's an anazing tool for endpoint hardening. It's one of the reasons OSX is so secure - Apple will have checks out your rear end before you're allowed to publish in App Store.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

aphid_licker posted:

The Greeks are gonna love that

https://www.euractiv.com/section/po...3nBd6E6hyAxj6Ww

Article posted:

“We warned the Kurds that the Americans would abandon them. And here in Rhodes, I can personally warn the Greeks to think about whether a similar fate awaits them,” said Vladimir Chizhov, Russia’s Ambassador to the EU.

Speaking at the International Forum of Dialogues of Culture in the Greek island of Rhodes, Chizhov criticised the extended defence agreement signed between the US and Greece during a visit in the region of US State Secretary Mike Pompeo earlier this month.

During that visit, Pompeo also slammed Turkey for its drilling for hydrocarbons in the Eastern Mediterranean, calling the country’s actions “illegal” and “unacceptable”.

“I think it was a mistake, but this is my personal opinion. Of course, you should ask the Greeks about the reasons why such a decision was made. But I do not rule out that they did so amid tensions between the United States and Turkey. However, this does not mean that this decision is well weighed from a perspective point of view,” he told TASS news agency, according to Greek media reports.

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 21, 2019

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

TK-42-1 posted:

No poo poo. He has already threatened to keep em.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Didn't we already pull them out of incirlik?

We should close incirclik pre-emptively, tbh. Move operations to Akrotiri and Al Udeid for the time being.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EvilMerlin posted:

No poo poo. He has already threatened to keep em.

If he made that specific threat we should have removed them immediately.

But then it would be a shame of what could have happened to a certain hotel.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Mortabis posted:

Didn't we already pull them out of incirlik?

We should close incirclik pre-emptively, tbh. Move operations to Akrotiri and Al Udeid for the time being.

If my memory isn't faulty it was announced you were shipping them out after the coup, apparently that didn't happen.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

They are there as of last week.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
How does the NATO treaty deal with shooting wars between member states?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Phanatic posted:

How does the NATO treaty deal with shooting wars between member states?

Based on Greece v. Turkey over Cyprus, just try to ignore it mostly.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
If you are worried America is a fair weather friend then I have super bad news for you about Russia's friendship

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Hauldren Collider posted:

If you are worried America is a fair weather friend then I have super bad news for you about Russia's friendship

They came through for Serbia in 1914 and that went well for everybody

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's like a New Best Friend meme every day... or hour.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Alaan posted:

They are there as of last week.

Probably uncharted territory (at least I hope it is) but what would the US's possible/probable response or actions be should they decide they are actually going to keep the B-61 inventory? :nsa:

Safeguards or not, I imagine a month with some lockpickers and some decent electronic engineers and they'd be ready to blow up at Erdoğan's command. I doubt :siren: ECONOMIC SANCTIONS :siren: * are going to be able to pull it off if Russia decided to play ball (while they don't have deep pockets, I can't imagine they would pass up the chance to sow this kind of drama/dissent within NATO, even if it costs them a pretty penny).

*the most powerful card in Trump's deck.

**if this is too "politix" please disregard.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Blistex posted:

Safeguards or not, I imagine a month with some lockpickers and some decent electronic engineers and they'd be ready to blow up at Erdoğan's command.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896814&pagenumber=73&perpage=40#post499165508

It's apparently a lot more complicated than that assuming the codes really were changed from 000000000 back in the 70s.

Plus I'd bet good money the orders of the troops guarding the bomb is to hit that "permanently disable" switch of anyone tries to forcibly take them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The idea that PALs could prevent a determined state actor from remanufacturing 50 nukes worth of fissile material into functional weapons is laughable on its face, even if they had to go full dirty-bomb non-critical detonation in a blast chamber and pick through the debris it would still be a hell of a shortcut vs building an enrichment program from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
U-lock the nukes to a sturdy metal post.