Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Seems like common progression through the games between Spyro, Crash and Sly Cooper in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A very broad 'thing dragging games down' that I see an awful lot when playing older games:

Games that shunted off explaining a whole bunch of basic stuff like UI or 'how this mechanic works' onto an instruction manual, that's now never getting sold in a way that provides it. RPGs are especially bad for this, but I've seen it in plenty of genres, and it always sucks when the game clearly expects you to do something it's never taught you... because it expected you to have a nice handy booklet containing a button layout, or an explanation of where to find that particular sub-menu option.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

A very broad 'thing dragging games down' that I see an awful lot when playing older games:

Games that shunted off explaining a whole bunch of basic stuff like UI or 'how this mechanic works' onto an instruction manual, that's now never getting sold in a way that provides it. RPGs are especially bad for this, but I've seen it in plenty of genres, and it always sucks when the game clearly expects you to do something it's never taught you... because it expected you to have a nice handy booklet containing a button layout, or an explanation of where to find that particular sub-menu option.

Man, trying to play old NES and a number SNES games can be almost impossibly hard because of this. There just wasn't any memory left to put in tutorials, or even objectives. Just some guy on a screen, what's happening or why, who knows!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Might be :filez: but I think http://www.replacementdocs.com/news.php is actually usable again so if you need manuals for old games it's always worth a try.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
thinking of the submarine code in Star Tropics... never got past that as a kid because i bought the game used

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I remember the pain of renting metal gear solid.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Do you also remember the fear and the fury

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If you were lucky you would get the instruction booklet which also had Meryl's codec number in it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm almost - almost - certain that there's a conversation that you'll eventually get with the code if you keep loving around.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

EmmyOk posted:

I cleared path of pain...

what's wrong with you? do you need a hug?

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Sally posted:

thinking of the submarine code in Star Tropics... never got past that as a kid because i bought the game used

My copy was new, but I somehow lost that letter somewhere between the store and home. I had to spend about an hour to brute force it. 745?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Been playing Tunic on Gamepass the last few days.

Overall I like it. I know some people hate the camera+isometric view, but I got no main complaints.

But a few annoyances so far:

One: There are some HUGE difficulty spikes in a few parts. The bosses are the biggest. All four main ones I've fought (Garden Knight, Siege Engine, Librarian, and Boss Scavenger) are all MUCH harder than the areas they're in, though I'll say Boss Scavenger is the least of a spike? Only because The Quarry is already such a poo poo area, which also counts as a massive difficulty spike, at least until your get the gas mask card thing

Two: Fire is a bitch. Thankfully, I've only encountered it in one area, but it seems to always take 2 or 3 rolls to put out, and drinking a health portion won't stop it. Only rolling.

Three: I just got to the swamp and uuuggghh. Requisite lose all your stat gains portion of the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Overall I like it. I know some people hate the camera+isometric view, but I got no main complaints.

One: There are some HUGE difficulty spikes in a few parts. The bosses are the biggest. All four main ones I've fought (Garden Knight, Siege Engine, Librarian, and Boss Scavenger) are all MUCH harder than the areas they're in, though I'll say Boss Scavenger is the least of a spike? Only because The Quarry is already such a poo poo area, which also counts as a massive difficulty spike, at least until your get the gas mask card thing

Two: Fire is a bitch. Thankfully, I've only encountered it in one area, but it seems to always take 2 or 3 rolls to put out, and drinking a health portion won't stop it. Only rolling.

Three: I just got to the swamp and uuuggghh. Requisite lose all your stat gains portion of the game.

ngl I probably would have shelved the game without the option to just turn off death at the point you’re at, it’s cool conceptually but the run to the cathedral is just so mean without any stats.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

bossy lady posted:

it's a fun challenge

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

XeeD posted:

My copy was new, but I somehow lost that letter somewhere between the store and home. I had to spend about an hour to brute force it. 745?

i think it was 747 in the end.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

The combat system isn't good enough for the game to be as hard as it is in places imo. It works in games like Death's Door but it didn't work for me in Tunic. Real dark spot on an otherwise extremely cool game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

bossy lady posted:

It's not too bad really. the first time I tried it I couldn't get through the first checkpoint but this time I beat it in one sitting though it took a few hours. I really want to keep doing it and get my time down lol. You have those soul totems pretty frequently throughout and they never exhaust, that with deep focus, and the best soul generator charms you have and you'll get through it without worrying about dying. I also think the first checkpoint section is the hardest part by far, everything after the opening is a bit easier.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Moon Monster posted:

The combat system isn't good enough for the game to be as hard as it is in places imo. It works in games like Death's Door but it didn't work for me in Tunic. Real dark spot on an otherwise extremely cool game.

Actually, yeah, I was also going to add that there are FAR too many enemies with some variation on:
Massive reach (Tunic's sword is REALLY short)
Very quick or
Flying

So even with the grappling item that can pull them towards you, enemies in categories 2 and 3 will move away so fast you maybe get two hits in, so you might have to do 2 or 3 rounds of grappling them in. And I ran into some skellingtons with GIANT swords and it's infuriating to avoid their sword swings to get a hit in on them.

And even though it didn't take me as many tries as Boss Scavenger, the previous boss fight, The Librarian was more annoying because he was always flying around. I had to "cheese" him (maybe it is the main way I was supposed to do it?) by just spamming the magic wand, then using the magic gain thingies dropped by his summons or some blue berries to refill my magic meter. but it's also fairly easy to miss that item before going into his fight. Can't imagine how I would have fared if I didn't have it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think you are definitely supposed to use the latest item on each boss. Librarian with the Wand is fairly easy if you've learned to dodge, and Boss Scavenger goes down fast to the gun, if you have the magic.

The main thing I think is you have to be aggressive as gently caress and get right into bosses' faces, not just in terms of reach but in general.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There's definitely something about Tunic combat that either clicks or doesn't for players. I thought the combat was just about ideal once you actually learn to do it instead of walking up to enemies and mashing the attack button. It's a cross between OOT and typical Souls fighting.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Think I'm done with Satisfactory. I just ran out of cables for putting up power at a new factory. So now I have to run back to one of my bases that makes cables. It's not TOO far away. But it's not the first time I've run out of something and had to run back and forth just to pick some lovely component up. It's not even close to the first time. It's not even close to close to the first time. And I'm just so over it. It's a game that wants me to travel all over the world to get at different resources. With a limited inventory. With all manor of different components I need in my limited inventory to build things. I don't play this game to shuffle my inventory and it's tipped too far in the balance of that being the gameplay for me to keep putting up with it. In a world where I get a little antsy at games wanting me to pick up ingredients from a chest next to me because it's extra tedium I don't need, Satisfactory is just taking the piss.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kinda sick of having to keep press the "jump" button in mario tbh

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I remember running out of jumps in Mario games and having to run back to the start point of the level to pick up some more so I could continue progressing. Weird to see the series be so popular with that mechanic in it but I guess that's Nintendo fans for you.

EDIT: I'm not talking about oh I have to set up logistics to get X component into Y assembler or whatever. I'm talking about having to carry around an inventory of bullshit to place platforms and power lines and conveyor belts and constructors and whatnot. I should be able to just pull that poo poo out of some universal storage. All the buildings come together like they're being teleported in so it's not even difficult to justify in-game.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Feb 28, 2023

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Thanks for this pizza cutter rear end post.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

Thanks for this pizza cutter rear end post.

uncertain what you mean by that so i will dismiss it as the ramblings of a deranged mind

but yeah inventory management does fuckin' suck and i checked out of satisfactory round about the steel/coal era, but logistics is, like, the entire game. they could definitely have more quality of life elements to it - dyson sphere program does it a hell of a lot better with pretty speedy autocrafting for little bits that breaks down when you need stuff at scale - but what on earth would even be left with a centralised universal storage? minecraft creative mode but with coffee mugs?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

A centralized storage you can only build from wouldn't undermine the general logistics. Have a big building you can send resources into and then use those resources for the placing of buildings. Hell you can even put a range limit on it. Basically satisfactory is about resource flows and transferring items from a box into my inventory so I can lay more wires is not really the same thing. In a game like Rust your inventory matters because it's what you drop when you die. In Death Stranding it matters because it directly affects gameplay. Even in RPGs like Skyrim it forces you to pick and choose your loot and forces you back to town between dungeons. There's no risk involved or ramifications to holding things in my inventory, it's just something that annoys me when I run out of something in my inventory that I actually have plenty of in storage but not directly on me this second.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I think the Satisfactory map is just too big, with too much verticality and large spaces with not a lot going on.

Great game and I love the world, but I wish there were better personal transportation methods than hyperloop cannons.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

uncertain what you mean by that so i will dismiss it as the ramblings of a deranged mind

Quite simply, all edge, no point.

E: Really could go for the quoted statement too.

StealthArcher has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Feb 28, 2023

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I often call Factorio the Mario 64 of factory games: not the first of its genre but it did it pretty well and sparked the next generation of that game type.

Satisfactory looked at Factorio, folded its arms and said "I can do better than that" and ended up copying all of the mechanics into a different setting where they didn't fit at all, with garbage implementations in all respects. Power lines are a big thing for sure as they are just very annoying to deal with and add nothing to the game, compared to factorio where they take just a little real estate and planning to fit them into your building plan. Relative to the player, Satisfactory and Factorio have similar sizes of machines (assemblers/constructors) but in Factorio's 2D they are very easy to maneuver around just squares and you move very quickly with a very long reach, compared to Satisfactory's typical first person reach. This makes moving around and working your factory very cumbersome and annoying over time.

In factorio it's very easy to get a huge overview of your factory and see exactly what's working or not working. Copy pasting and blueprinting are very simple. The mid game logistics bots feel like a huge upgrade that make the game even easier and more fun to play.

In Satisfactory, the machines are roughly the same size as you (to start) so without a tall vantage point you can't see past them, and even with such a vantage point it can be difficult to see between the machines. The logistic bots are garbage and more trouble than they are worth by a wide margin.

I'm going to cut myself off here or else I'm going to go on a 10-page rant because Satisfactory killed my parents and kicked my dog, the short version is if you like Factorio, get Dyson Sphere Project

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

There's also no undo for blueprints and placement is a nightmare so you're very likely to place a large blueprint incorrectly and have to delete every piece before trying again. Looking for an undo button I found the suggestion to save before placing so you can reload when you place it wrong. :psyduck:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Something that feels a little lame about Like A Dragon: Ishin is that you get friendship quests out the rear end which is in and of itself fine (even if they could stand to progress quicker than they do for what’s basically “indulge NPC, come back when you’ve refreshed the world state”), but there’s no map marker like Judgement had for all of its buddy events so you just have to remember which alleyway the hungry dog was at, or go through your menu to even remember which ones existed sometimes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Crystal Project is a great FFV-esque RPG with an emphasis on exploration. Except that it has a fixed camera angle, which sometimes makes finding chests or checking if a jump is doable a pain.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In basically every way Hollow Knight is a perfect game. I have close to 200 hours played and the majority of bosses beaten on radiant mode (harder versions where you also die with one hit).

I just really wish it had a better fast travel option for the postgame. There is a fast travel option to various train stations. This works fine in the main game. You also have the dream gate where you can place a gate and teleport to it from anywhere. It’s only one direction though.

In the post game there are a couple of fun and optional major challenges. However they are all in very remote locations and quite distant from each other. None of them are particularly near train stations either. Only being able to set one dream gate doesn’t really help when you’re trying to move between them all. I really wish they had an option to warp between benches (bonfires) after you beat the final boss.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I hear there's a variant where you actually minimize the number of times you press the "jump" button. Something about "A presses". You should probably look into it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Got back into Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, and it's got me thinking about weird difficulty spikes that just seem to show up out of nowhere for no particular reason. Like, I'm doing another one of those extended Toad hunts I complained about a bit ago, and a random new enemy shows up. Not hard to beat, except if you don't outright kill it on a turn, it apparently has a death explosion that can just outright wipe your party? Have fun redoing that whole Toad hunt again from the start!

Or a bit later, after an extended boss fight, you go into the new area that opens up, and expect to have a breather when you see the new mook-tier enemies in that section. Except it turns out that they have extended attacks that can easily kill multiple party members in a turn through a combo of heavy damage and disabling status effects, if you're countering their moves the same way the game has trained you to up til now. Somehow I'm dying more to two rando beetles than I did in that whole boss fight?

It's weird, outside of a few particular boss fights, these games are generally a walk in the park, so it just feels off when you run into random stuff life that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

There's definitely something about Tunic combat that either clicks or doesn't for players. I thought the combat was just about ideal once you actually learn to do it instead of walking up to enemies and mashing the attack button. It's a cross between OOT and typical Souls fighting.

Man, I'm about to give up on this game cause the current combat is NOT clicking for me

I got the three keys and I'm in ghost mode. Took me a while, but I did beat the Cathedral and got the upgraded dash.

But the problem now is that the dash goes too far. In basically every fight, I'm dashing PAST the enemy, and by the time I run back to them to attack, they're winding up to attack again, so I dash away, and rinse/repeat. I try to stay further away so if I dash I end up right next to them, but then at that distance I don't trigger their attack before the dash, so when I dash and get next to them, they start to wind up an attack THEN, and even if I play conservative and only try to get one hit in, they will still hit me. And half the enemies are also ghost things and the hits reduce my health total...which is already half where it should be since ghost mode reset them all to starting values.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
You can disassemble weapons in Atomic Heart and get an equal amount of parts for them that you put into them, making experimenting with different weapons a breeze!

I just got the Kalash blueprint, so I disassembled the starting shotgun I picked up at the beginning of the game to get parts for it.

After realizing I didn't have the ammo blueprint for the kalash and ammo wasn't dropping fast enough to use it, I figured I'd disassemble it and rebuild the shotgun.

Then I realized I didn't have the shotgun blueprint.

Then, looking around online, discovered the shotgun blueprint was apparently never put into the game.

My last save with the shotgun was far enough back to not be worth it, and this totally killed my interest in continuing.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
PlateUp takes way too long to give you the last couple of recipes. And the breakfast recipe is literally just toast.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Man, I'm about to give up on this game cause the current combat is NOT clicking for me

I got the three keys and I'm in ghost mode. Took me a while, but I did beat the Cathedral and got the upgraded dash.

But the problem now is that the dash goes too far. In basically every fight, I'm dashing PAST the enemy, and by the time I run back to them to attack, they're winding up to attack again, so I dash away, and rinse/repeat. I try to stay further away so if I dash I end up right next to them, but then at that distance I don't trigger their attack before the dash, so when I dash and get next to them, they start to wind up an attack THEN, and even if I play conservative and only try to get one hit in, they will still hit me. And half the enemies are also ghost things and the hits reduce my health total...which is already half where it should be since ghost mode reset them all to starting values.

I had much the same take on Tunic's combat, you're not the only one. I was very close to posting here along the lines of "man I hate when games take your upgrades away".

That being said, have you figured out the Hero's Graves yet? Where you're at you should not be doing that much more fighting and working on (re)visiting those. You can probably just run past a lot of enemies now and with a few graves under your belt you'll have a much easier time.

You're also just before a point where combat becomes a non-factor altogether for a good stretch. I did turn on no fail mode for the final boss, just to help myself along there. You wouldn't be missing much by activating it for the bits you're at.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I wanted to play pentiment but the first screen where the guy wakes up in bed immediately kicks me straight back to the main menu before I can do anything. Tried a new file and went to the second screen, then same thing.

Maybe it'll work better today :(