Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

https://x.com/mbkksstbhz5/status/1789863305198117273?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

This is funny, they’re straight up removing SMTV from the eShop once Vengeance comes out. They’ve never done that before have they? Like Persona 5 was still readily available after Royal released (and was even a part of those free games early PS5 buyers got access to) but for this they’re like “oh no we don’t want anyone accidentally playing the old bad one”

To be honest it probably makes more sense to do it this way. I know there have been people who bought Persona 5 instead of Persona 5 Royal on PS4 and been pissed off by the (understandably unclear) fact of there being two identical games except one is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Under no circumstances do you want to buy SMTV on the Switch anyways. The performance is unplayable, I would be surprised if the new version is any better.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Under no circumstances do you want to buy SMTV on the Switch anyways. The performance is unplayable, I would be surprised if the new version is any better.

Skill issue

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It will run perfectly on the 2witch

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It really is not unplayable in any sense of the word. It looks bad because they use the "far away models are rendered at poorer quality" thing for poo poo that's in your face but otherwise it's a turn-based combat game. I'd get it on something stronger for sure if you can but it isn't unplayable.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It really is not unplayable in any sense of the word. It looks bad because they use the "far away models are rendered at poorer quality" thing for poo poo that's in your face but otherwise it's a turn-based combat game. I'd get it on something stronger for sure if you can but it isn't unplayable.

You have a much higher tolerance for the 20fps average that the game plays at when running around the world in between combat.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
It’s okay if you didn’t personally have a problem with it but it is silly to think your opinion is universal.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

I said come in! posted:

It’s entirely possible that it plays better in the new version. FSR as well as some other techniques weren’t a thing yet on the switch when V originally released

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

You have a much higher tolerance for the 20fps average that the game plays at when running around the world in between combat.

There's a significant difference between "bad frame rate" and "literally unplayable." Especially when discussing something like SMT.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

It’s okay if you didn’t personally have a problem with it but it is silly to think your opinion is universal.

There is a difference between "didn't have a problem with it" and "This game just can't be played! It's impossible to play a turn-based game with bad frame rate!"

Edit: Like, looking it up, pre-patch, the average frame rate for SMTV is 27-29 in the overworld . It drops lower in cutscenes (to mid-teens at times) and when opening menus. It also sucks during the opening segment with a lot of people crowded around in the tunnel but the game apparently never even tries to do something like that again. It's not anywhere as good as I would hope or expect of a game released when it was, even on a system like the Switch which can do better, but it isn't running at 20FPS average outside of menus. (Which, again, should run better.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 13, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It wasn’t a great framerate but any means but it’s not like it made it impossible to avoid battles or anything.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
if Shin Megami Tensei V is unplayable on Switch... what the hell DID I play? :wth:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

That cuts both ways.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I can't wait til Halphas gets his daily demon video. He's so cool. I hope he's one of the 17 navigators too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Two questions for the thread:

1.) With the classic MT/SMT games, what's the best version to play for each game? I know that Megami Tensei titles (the two games that came out before SMT), there was the SNES remake that came out (Kyūyaku Megami Tensei).

With SMT 1/2/If, I know there's translations for the SNES versions, but while there's an English patch for the PS1 version of SMT1, there doesn't seem to be one for SMT2 or If. Should I stick to SNES versions, for all, or is the PS1 version of SMT1 worth a try?

2.) How easy/hard are the Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha games, and do they emulate well?

There are five versions of SMTI in English to my knowledge. An iOS version that's inaccessible, the OG SNES version which is glitchy, has a translation that doesn't match the series standard but is otherwise perfectly playable, the GBA version which uses the iOS translation, the PS1 version which also uses the official English translation, and SMTVX which is a fan remake of 1 for RPGmaker and includes new routes and references to the other games in the series.

The GBA and PS1 games are less glitchy and have some added story content that fills in some gaps and explains what is going on with some side characters VX also has some major changes but I cannot comment on how well it pulls it off since I haven't beaten it although I wouldn't recommend it for a first run through the game.

The GBA version has worse music, and the PS1 has remixed music that some like more than the SNES and some less. PS1 also has better graphics but I feel the sparseness of the SNES version actually worked better for the atmosphere of the game.

Personally I'd say either play the SNES version with the Orden patch that fixes some bugs and lines up the translation better with the rest of the series + the automap hack that lets you bring up the map with R1 like in SMT2. Or play the PS1 version.

SMTII for SNES works perfectly except for an overflow bug if you buff yourself too much. Write down all the passwords you get, mark everything that seems like you might need to come back to and always talk to people in the bars.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

There are five versions of SMTI in English to my knowledge. An iOS version that's inaccessible, the OG SNES version which is glitchy, has a translation that doesn't match the series standard but is otherwise perfectly playable, the GBA version which uses the iOS translation, the PS1 version which also uses the official English translation, and SMTVX which is a fan remake of 1 for RPGmaker and includes new routes and references to the other games in the series.

The GBA and PS1 games are less glitchy and have some added story content that fills in some gaps and explains what is going on with some side characters VX also has some major changes but I cannot comment on how well it pulls it off since I haven't beaten it although I wouldn't recommend it for a first run through the game.

oh actually, the ps1 version has a fresh fan tl and no extra story content like the gba ver does :)

imo people shouldn't play snes smt 1, the auto map in that is super sparse and rotates with the player for some reason??

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I said come in! posted:

You are weak and will not survive the great rpg wilds

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

we will erase smtv from this world

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You are weak and will not survive the great rpg wilds

The decades before 30fps even came close to being a standard were amazing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
every day I thank my eyes for not being able to see frames, so I can enjoy video games instead of endlessly complaining about performance in every single one I ever play

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The framerate wasn't so bad because at least was consistently paced but the narrow field of view was way worse

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schubalts posted:

The decades before 30fps even came close to being a standard were amazing.

You got a whole 20 fps consistent? And you're complaining?

We've grown soft as a people

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I don't know where the idea that games didn't run well back in the day comes from. I'm pretty sure none of the PS2 SMT games ran like poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Randallteal posted:

I don't know where the idea that games didn't run well back in the day comes from. I'm pretty sure none of the PS2 SMT games ran like poo poo.

the raidou games definitely had some fps problems

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Randallteal posted:

The PS2 games had slowdown anytime there were any remotely flashy effects onscreen which is part of why they minimized doing that. They also had very low draw distances and a bunch of other stuff specifically designed to compensate for the PS2's shortcomings. The Raidou games were pretty bad in general and almost all of the games had significant frame drops during combat, it just didn't matter because it is turn-based combat.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

the raidou games definitely had some fps problems

Yeah, I remember having too much magic poo poo going on at once in the middle of a fight made my PS2 chug every now and again

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The PS2 games had slowdown anytime there were any remotely flashy effects onscreen which is part of why they minimized doing that. They also had very low draw distances and a bunch of other stuff specifically designed to compensate for the PS2's shortcomings. The Raidou games were pretty bad in general and almost all of the games had significant frame drops during combat, it just didn't matter because it is turn-based combat.

it depends, particle effects due to the ps2 insane fillrate came cheap, the nocture remaster especially didnt port all the effects properly and on switch shits its pants whenever theres way too many particles

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just found out about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d08wUJyLtyw
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19VCvhXKR32OyZKQ8pCech6pnnFXE56Aj/view

quote:

The features you can expect are:
- Revised stat formulae (Similar to Hardtype, Luck is actually a stat now)
- Rebalanced Skills, Demons and Magatama
- New Skills and Items (Almost everything from Hardtype and more)
- QoL improvements to the battle system such as demon self-switching (very similar to Hardtype)
- 3 stage buffs and debuffs with diminishing returns ala Digital Devil Saga 2 (Max buff effect is similar to SMT IV and Apocalypse)
- Technical bonuses ala Persona 5 (Deal guaranteed crits with certain damage types against enemies affected by certain statuses)
- Revised Mitama fusion (the same as my standalone mod, similar to Essence Fusion in V)
- Special encounters during New Kagutsuchi (Moved from Full Kagutsuchi in Hardtype to get in the way of being able to recruit dark-aligned demons)
- Increased difficulty
- Skill Potentials ala SMT IV Apocalypse and V (Courtesy of Matthiew Purple)

I've not tried it yet but he ssid the demo is up to Ose which is a decent way into the game, plenty enough to give me an indication of if I like it or not. But figured you all might be interested since it will be a bit before I can try this out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

For the people interested, Nocturne HD is 80% off today on Steam so grab a copy now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

it's a three-year old remaster of a game from 2003 and its base price is fifty loving dollars, lmao

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
atlus.txt

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tortolia posted:

atlus.txt

Let's be fair, it's not true Atlus.txt until you scroll down to the $40 worth of DLC

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Original hard type was too much I think bud it also feels reductive to just call this hardtype given how big some of the pull-forward systems are.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Since I got Nocturne on the brain right now, my last run of Nocturne was a Yosuga Run and there's something I noticed.

While SMT3 has a pretty minimal story, and even more minimal character focus, I think it's fair to say the story is written to get us emotionally invested in two things:
1. Our teacher. She's literally the first thing we see in a new game, she is responsible for sparing us from the Conception, all scenes with her are very sweet with light music playing, you rescue her from being tortured, and it kinda goes on and on like that.

2. The only other consistent sympathy that is cultivated in the game is towards Manikins. From the tunnel on the way to Ikebukuro where we learn about their enslavement, to seeing their enslavement a short time later, to seeing their escape and bid for freedom, to helping save their leader from a dungeon and being tortured (maybe intentional parallel with Ms. Takao).....and so-on and so-on and so-on. They're even at the top of the final dungeon, having climbed up all that way. We see them at their lowest, we see them strive, we see them flourish, we see them fall yet continue to get up again.

I bring all this up because...you can kill Takao. You can kill Futomimi, the Manikins' savior and light of hope that you rescued. If you think of the Demifiend as a consistent character with a thought process, he must have been just doing a Homer Simpson and listening to music in his head during all these myriad scenes of "look at this poor woman/look at these poor people" and taken in absolutely none of it.

Also you can immediately go from murdering the Manakin's leader to doing the Puzzle Boy BS or buy stuff from the Asakusa merchant. I guess nobody is left alive to know what you did but it still is funny to me.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

For the people interested, Nocturne HD is 80% off today on Steam so grab a copy now.

I am doing this! Thank you!

I played the game way, way back when, and don't really remember all that much of it. What is "New Game: Chronicle" and do I want to play that?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Chronicle is the version that has all the Labyrinth of Amala/Fiends content, but instead of Featuring Dante From Devil May Cry, it's Raidou instead; otherwise same content. Maniax is the Dante version. Pick whichever you prefer.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I prefer the free one! Also who would pick Dante over Raidou

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's right, I forgot Chronicle was free DLC and you had to pay for Dante due to whatever licensing they worked back out with Capcom. So yeah, Chronicle is absolutely the way to go unless you wanted to see what the game was like in the very first JP release.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)

OzFactor posted:

I prefer the free one! Also who would pick Dante over Raidou

The only reason I bought nocturne way back in 2004 was because of dante. I had never heard of these games but since my boy dante was in it I bought it not knowing anything about it. I'm glad I did because now megami tensei and persona are some of my favorite rpgs ever now but it all started with dante lol.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hoffadoff posted:

The only reason I bought nocturne way back in 2004 was because of dante. I had never heard of these games but since my boy dante was in it I bought it not knowing anything about it. I'm glad I did because now megami tensei and persona are some of my favorite rpgs ever now but it all started with dante lol.

The man the sticker was made for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, I can't say Dante was ever a particularly attractive aspect of Nocturne for me, but hey, if it got more people to play the games, awesome.

I certainly had no idea what SMT was back in the early 2000s so maybe that sticker helped folks. I got into the games much, much later, after having the benefit of internet forums discussing JRPGs constantly.

I still thank my lucky stars Xenosaga got a commercial I cuaght on Adult Swim or else I'd never have gotten into it or Xenogears. I wonder if Nocturne ever had a TV commercial in the States?