Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
GBS thread led to a website that has a bunch of old military ads in it:

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/military-ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Man militarized x29 would have been badass

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NightGyr posted:

Well this is very Cold War:
‘Doomsday Plane’ designed to survive nuclear war downed by one bird

E-6B Mercury clipped a bird and lost an engine. I assume in an actual war situation, they'd just keep going on 3.

What a garbage article.

In an actual lead-up to war, they wouldn’t be doing loving touch and goes in a national strategic asset.

gently caress me, in a world where sanity prevailed, no one would be doing touch and goes in a national strategic asset at ANY time. We have loving simulators for that poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

There is more than one doomsday plane. In an actual war the one airborne would stay airborne and the one on the ground would be at ground zero of multiple warheads from an SS-18.

As I said earlier in the thread and then got :goonsay:ed at afterward, the E-6 represents a target that would rate a hypersonic cruise missile strike or depressed-trajectory SLBM. There's no such thing as a "fifteen minute window" for VIP and high-value asset evac anymore.

The Satan and Sarmat are ultra hard target and city killers.

But yeah, it's a garbage article, too. Putin's Doomsday plane, simply by the virtue of being Russian, likely goes down operationally more often than a Las Vegas hooker during a heavy convention season.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 23, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If Russia's plans are anything like the US's plan it'd be targeted by the hypersonic cruise missiles and one at least one mirv'd reentry vehicle from each missile.

Was it Moscow's air defense radar that was targeted by something like 10% of the US's warheads in some declassified plan?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There are 10+ E-6Bs, distributed all over the place. Likely to places that would soak up the first round of warheads, but still.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

There are 10+ E-6Bs, distributed all over the place. Likely to places that would soak up the first round of warheads, but still.

Pax River might actually be improved slightly by the liberal application of a few megatons of canned sunshine. >.>

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

EvilMerlin posted:

Well to be honest the guy flying the B-52 at the time was a moron whom was warned before about doing stupid poo poo like that in a B-52.

I want to hate Bud, I should hate Bud, he got other people killed. But drat did he make the B-52 do some cool poo poo. Those low mountain passes with the camera people? :gizz:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I wonder why the Airforce/NASA/ Lockmart/ Boeing haven't gone back and tested another swept wing design with the new advancements in Fly By Wire? That is besides the cost factor.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I want to hate Bud, I should hate Bud, he got other people killed. But drat did he make the B-52 do some cool poo poo. Those low mountain passes with the camera people? :gizz:

Turns out you can do really low passes if you don't worry too much about ensuring that you don't die

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Yeah.... all the seniors being amazed by his "stick and rudder" skills are forgetting that plenty of people can do wild poo poo if they stop giving a gently caress.

Another example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtfYF3ITGE

A better sign of an amazing aviator is one who's impressive and doesn't terrify and kill people.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That B-52 guy is a slightly better version of me at a simulator trying to fly a 757 under the golden gate bridge

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The other reason the Air Force let Bud Holland do whatever he liked is that there's nothing really of value to crash into out around Fairchild. :v:

You know, except the nuclear storage bunker he nearly plowed into.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah.... all the seniors being amazed by his "stick and rudder" skills are forgetting that plenty of people can do wild poo poo if they stop giving a gently caress.

Another example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtfYF3ITGE

A better sign of an amazing aviator is one who's impressive and doesn't terrify and kill people.

The most amazing thing... this guy never flew a real plane before. He didn't have his license. Let alone a multi-engine rating.

Said he learned it all from... video games...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EvilMerlin posted:

The most amazing thing... this guy never flew a real plane before. He didn't have his license. Let alone a multi-engine rating.

Said he learned it all from... video games...

He also kept the plane at TOGA power the entire time so I'd say its pretty clear he didn't really know what he was doing.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

hobbesmaster posted:

He also kept the plane at TOGA power the entire time so I'd say its pretty clear he didn't really know what he was doing.

Engine over temperature and increased wear is only a problem if the airplane is going to be used another time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/slendersherbet/status/1186883709057798144?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dear god, this changes everything!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WE CANNOT ALLOW A SALTWATER GAP

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's an oldie, but it periodically resurfaces. Just like one of those sneaky Chinese submarines.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

This is such a fancy ad for a program that featured these two helicopters:

Bell D-292

Sikorsky S-75

Though it did eventually give us Comanche:

And perhaps the new Bell 360 Invictus?

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 23, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

All I know is the Comanche is beautiful.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

SimonCat posted:

And perhaps the new Bell 360 Invictus?

I did some reading about FARA, which got fast tracked to be the first program of FVL because they’ve needed a real Kiowa warrior replacement since LHX. The associated recon helo programs have failed like 3-4 times now in total. FVL was supposed to lead with the Defiant/V-280 midsize competition but not anymore.

That being said, the Bell 360 Invictus doesn’t have any ties to the Comanche, it just got a similar look. It’s way more rooted in Bells civilian 525 program, which is a fly-by-wire mid size transport aimed at like oil fields/offshore/VIPs.

Lockheed/Sikorsky are going in with the Raider X, which is basically the S-97 pusher/coaxial they scaled up for the Defiant.

Boeing isn’t actually sharing any details at all about its FARA entry, as that approach is apparently how they got the MC-25 Stingray win. I feel like it’s going to lean heavily on the Apache though.

There’s also an AVX/L3 ducted fan entry that’s weird looking and something else from Karem.

Airbus backed out from submitting a derivative of that weird diamond wing shaped thing they show off.

Here’s a quick article:

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/aaaa/2019/04/23/us-army-picks-5-teams-to-design-new-us-army-attack-recon-helicopter/

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 24, 2019

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mazz posted:

There’s also an AVX/L3 ducted fan entry that’s weird looking and something else from Karem.

You can't mention that without mentioning the Piasecki_X-49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu2CwHwxJYA

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

test pilots are the bravest motherfuckers to have ever lived imo

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Tythas posted:

I wonder why the Airforce/NASA/ Lockmart/ Boeing haven't gone back and tested another swept wing design with the new advancements in Fly By Wire? That is besides the cost factor.

Stall characteristics aside (they suck), the problem with forward sweep was flutter and aeroelasticity. FBW won't really fix those

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Captain Postal posted:

Stall characteristics aside (they suck), the problem with forward sweep was flutter and aeroelasticity. FBW won't really fix those

Okay but what if we also made it a swing-wing?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

Okay but what if we also made it a swing-wing?
May I offer you a job designing 1980s GI Joe toys?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Back Hack posted:

You can't mention that without mentioning the Piasecki_X-49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu2CwHwxJYA

That fan looks like it’s several seconds away from falling off in like every shot

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mazz posted:

I did some reading about FARA, which got fast tracked to be the first program of FVL because they’ve needed a real Kiowa warrior replacement since LHX. The associated recon helo programs have failed like 3-4 times now in total. FVL was supposed to lead with the Defiant/V-280 midsize competition but not anymore.

It is amazing how difficult it is for the Army to purchase a small scout helicopter. Like, it just has to be turbine powered, carry two people, and enough electronics to send information back to the network. Maybe toss on machine gun and a missile or two.

Apparently integrating the sensors into a new avionics package was a big sticking point on the ARH-70 program, but I think that after the initial development costs were out of the way, it would have been a good aircraft going forward.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

N NKLnt hvgvhhhv ca

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

It is amazing how difficult it is for the Army to purchase a small scout helicopter. Like, it just has to be turbine powered, carry two people, and enough electronics to send information back to the network. Maybe toss on machine gun and a missile or two.

Apparently integrating the sensors into a new avionics package was a big sticking point on the ARH-70 program, but I think that after the initial development costs were out of the way, it would have been a good aircraft going forward.

It isn't really a problem with the designs, it is just very, very difficult to come up with something that provides a meaningful and cost-effective upgrade over the current mix of drones and Apaches (or drones PLUS Apaches, as the future looks to be).

There are a whole lot of Apache airframes out there available at very low cost if you consider stealing them from the National Guard to be a low cost solution. Note: the National Guards did not, but why the hell does the National Guard need an attack helicopter platform?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
You might as well ask why it needs artillery.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The national guard can be deployed abroad if necessary so its not completely off the wall.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mortabis posted:

Or A-10s.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Phanatic posted:

Or A-10s.

And this is still an ongoing battle between the Army and AF. Army says it should be able to do its own CAS. And that the A-10 should be moved to it's pilots...

The problem is the agreement when the AF split off of the Army back in '47.

The Army is still flying almost 260 fixed wing birds... and the AF still pitches fits about it because WO's can fly.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

hobbesmaster posted:

The national guard can be deployed abroad if necessary so its not completely off the wall.

Can be and is deployed abroad. All the time.

There are 8 national guard divisions. Each division has an aviation brigade. If the army thinks the Apache is essential to the active duty divisions, it follows that since National Guard divisions are organized on the same lines, they would need them too, or at least something that does the same mission.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Mortabis posted:

Mental image of an apache with a 203mm barrel sticking out of it and now hopelessly laughing at how battletech it is

Alaan
May 24, 2005

AC64 spoopy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Stravag posted:

Mental image of an apache with a 203mm barrel sticking out of it and now hopelessly laughing at how battletech it is

Apache Strongbow