Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
I'm not quite sure what to do here. Do I just stay stationary and start unloading on the nearest Donar? My limited MegaMek experience has not taught me much about how to deal with aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

I'm not quite sure what to do here. Do I just stay stationary and start unloading on the nearest Donar? My limited MegaMek experience has not taught me much about how to deal with aircraft.

Assume they'll be hard to hit due to the movement modifier and airborne target penalty. Like everything else in BattleTech, I would say maneuver such that you limit your exposure to the 'swarm', while giving yourself the best shots you can. Make sure you put contingencies in, as these things tend to be 'fragile'.

'Sag' is seriously considering coming back up North to help you take down those Donars; as I said before, the South is covered, and the sooner we take out the helos, the faster the mission ends, Summoner and Stone Rhino be damned.

***** Edit *****

I would also say don't stand still, as while it gives you a better shot on one target, the improved TH for return fire from all Donars doesn't make it a 'great' deal.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 22, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The question mark on the "allies?" section has me worried. If they turn out to not be allies, goonforce is hosed.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, thoughts for the Battlemaster.

Advance to 2027, fire both PPCs on 1430 Donar, all Medium Lasers on 1730 Donar. I don't really want to take the running movement penalty to hit on whirley birds that already move too drat fast. However, it might be worth it to move to 2028 to also use the small laser...but probably not.

Thoughts?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

So, thoughts for the Battlemaster.

Advance to 2027, fire both PPCs on 1430 Donar, all Medium Lasers on 1730 Donar. I don't really want to take the running movement penalty to hit on whirley birds that already move too drat fast. However, it might be worth it to move to 2028 to also use the small laser...but probably not.

Thoughts?

I'd say the farther you can get from the Stone Rhino (and that storage tank), the better.

Maybe he'll complete his disgrace and detonate the H6, taking out his buddy.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
I don't really see a way for me to get out of the Stone Rhino's line of fire this turn and it's going to have pretty good numbers to hit me since it didn't move, so it'll probably keep firing my way. One option I'm thinking about is to move to 1126 to at least get partial cover and probably keep after the Summoner. I could fire at the Donars instead but I think the best shot I can get at them is a 10? Alternately I could forgo the cover and move to 1128 so I'm at short range with the SRMs, which I'll want to fire due to heat anyway. I'd give up the cover bonus but I'd get a move mod so the hit numbers for the Stone Rhino would be the same either way. That does give the Summoner better ranges on me too, though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Good on the Mauler for starting the Monitor exodus out of the boat pen; now if only they could give you some fire support in dealing with those copters, which unfortunately is unlikely.

Summoner continues to make a nuisance of itself, hits the Naginata hard. Hope those Roughnecks get in range soon to help with it and the Donars, looks like you'll need the help and Bondsman Technician Korean Robert's Lance of modified ConstructionMechs looks like they could do a lot of damage if given the chance to get in there and open fire.

Stone Rhino is in a better position to open up on you guys with its long range fire again, but the Sagittaire is now battered and not in a good place to hit him without getting a face full of Gauss slugs for their trouble. Still, if you're gonna go down soon anyway, might as well do your worst to the thing in the process and make it easier for the remaining mechs to take that thing out.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 22, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Gun Jam posted:

Alright, here are my options:
1. Defensive - run to 2030 and turn around. It means the two donars cannot shoot me, and gives the summoner medium range at me.

2. Offensive - reverse again, and unload on the summoner. 1433 gives me the +1 move mod - but it also means we're in each other short range.
Now, 1533 means I don't have a move mod - but it mean I'm outside of his machine guns and in his missiles medium range - and I'll have cover. In addition, it means I'm in the yellow donar's ER missiles min range.

I'm fairly sure that if I go this way, this would be the result - but I'm okay with that; it's either my or the naginata, I don't have a lot of time left anyway - so I might as well try and give him one last good salvo.

You're still a fully functional, extremely accurate Hunchback for 2 more rounds after next round, despite your CT still being way more fragile than the Naginata (even after accounting for the presence of a right torso and arm), and even after that you're a 1-1 with 4 Medium Lasers, and the only one other than the Jager who has a fairly decent time of touching a Donar at full speed (if they're close anyway, but they seem to be focusing on the south).
It's the nice thing to do, but you'd probably be sacrificing two rounds of the most important gun on the map plus the MLs for a PPC and LRM-15 at 3-5 hanging on by 11 structure in the right torso in a killzone, which could be taken out in the same round or the next with a bit of luck, even if two of them fire at the Hunchback instead.

I dunno, I feel mean advocating leaving the Naginata to get ganged on to the point it becomes an exclusive kicking machine, especially after all the hits its taken for the team, but chances are good it loses the LT soon anyway.

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

If you back up in either direction you'll get out of range of the red CS chopper and go up a range bracket on the two others (as well as forcing the green helo to use ER rounds), and I think maybe you have partial cover from both remaining helos if you back down to 0710?

Capital move to combine strategies last round and both advance while not drawing return fire!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 25, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
The Naginata might actually be best off going to 1632 and exposing the left side. He'd have a little bit of cover I think?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

RA Rx posted:

You're still a fully functional, extremely accurate Hunchback for 2 more rounds after next round, despite your CT still being way more fragile than the Naginata (even after accounting for the presence of a right torso and arm), and even after that you're a 1-1 with 4 Medium Lasers, and the only one other than the Jager who has a fairly decent time of touching a Donar at full speed (if they're close anyway, but they seem to be focusing on the south).
It's the nice thing to do, but you'd probably be sacrificing two rounds of the most important gun on the map plus the MLs for a PPC and LRM-15 at 3-5 hanging on by 11 structure in the right torso in a killzone, which could be taken out in the same round or the next with a bit of luck, even if two of them fire at the Hunchback instead.

I dunno, I feel mean advocating leaving the Naginata to get ganged on to the point it becomes an exclusive kicking machine, especially after all the hits its taken for the team, but chances are good it loses the LT soon anyway.

If you back up 1 hex in either direction you'll get out of range of the red CS chopper and go up a range brackets on the two others (as well as forcing the green helo to use ER rounds).
Capital move to combine strategies and both advance and not fire last round, the two missile Donars could've returned ER missiles on 7 and 9, but PTN skipped it!

I admit that sacrificing myself is not based on tactical consideration, but on rather on that I don't want to throw Knox under the bus like that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Artificer posted:

The question mark on the "allies?" section has me worried. If they turn out to not be allies, goonforce is hosed.

You might as well fight under the assumption they are your allies, then. No point in worrying about it if you're dead either way if they betray you, just keep fighting as if they were full on friendlies. :pseudo:

I think there was actually a situation like that in one of the books. The designated heroes are fighting a last stand of some sort and being pushed back, and they see dropships coming in. The leader orders them to just buy time until those units can deploy, and he's questioned as to why he assumes the troops in those ships are friendlies despite not being able to communicate with them, and basically comes back with "Well if they're enemies, we're all proper hosed anyway, aren't we?".

Being Battletech, the troops were of course friendlies and the day is saved. Given that I can't remember who that even was, it was probably Vanilla Victor and his crew of inept chucklefucks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I think there was actually a situation like that in one of the books. The designated heroes are fighting a last stand of some sort and being pushed back, and they see dropships coming in. The leader orders them to just buy time until those units can deploy, and he's questioned as to why he assumes the troops in those ships are friendlies despite not being able to communicate with them, and basically comes back with "Well if they're enemies, we're all proper hosed anyway, aren't we?".

That was from Wolf Pack, and the inbound Zeta Battalion (Wolf's Dragoon's all-assault `Mech unit) were not friends.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't even remember ever having read Wolf Pack. :tinfoil:

Battletech so crazy. What was the major point of that book?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wolf's Dragoons civil war.

It was almost worth reading.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Strobe posted:

Wolf's Dragoons civil war.

It was almost worth reading.

All of Robert Charrette's Battletech novels are worth reading if you're into beer and pretzels sci-fi, but Wolf Pack is arguably the weakest of the three.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
[madden mode: ON]

"I, uh, well I really have to say that, uh, I like where the offense's going here with those monitors. That's a strong play, and it may really pay off in the long run. Now uh, obviously the problem for that Mauler is, it's gonna be tough to handle all of those guys at once. You don't usually see a double corner blitz in the national football league but that's basically what we're looking at right now. He's gotta be patient, try to pick them off one at a time, and hope that he doesn't get so hurt that he has to come out of the game."

"That's a real concern for a couple guys down south too, but they've got a lot more firepower to put out there. I think it's a given that they're going to take care of their blocking assignments at this point, the question is going to be whether someone like the Naginata, the Sagittaire, or even maybe the Hunchback, get too hurt to keep going. This is the point in the game where rotating your starters and giving them a little rest on the sidelines ends up being important - otherwise you're losing guys to injury and that's never good."

"So, uh, the real wild card here is how the offense leverages those fresh legs that are on the field now. Whether they also go after those Donars, or if they focus on any of the remaining 'mechs on the defense, will make a big difference in how this turns out."

[madden mode: OFF]

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Orders in - I'm going to 2030, shooting the yellow donar. Since Knox have yet to comment, I'm taking the safer route for me.
(how much time do I have to re-Submit orders, if needed?)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Vacation has been hella hectic and I haven't had much time to look at the update and I am reading this on a really crappy phone screen.

PTN, could I beg an extra day? I should be getting home tomorrow evening and will be able to submit orders. If not, I am cool with Knox submitting orders for me too for this turn

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

Vacation has been hella hectic and I haven't had much time to look at the update and I am reading this on a really crappy phone screen.

PTN, could I beg an extra day? I should be getting home tomorrow evening and will be able to submit orders. If not, I am cool with Knox submitting orders for me too for this turn

Absolutely. We'll delay the update until Sunday as normal, to give you time to think. :shobon:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Gun Jam posted:

Orders in - I'm going to 2030, shooting the yellow donar. Since Knox have yet to comment, I'm taking the safer route for me.
(how much time do I have to re-Submit orders, if needed?)

I think I will likely run to 1135 and get myself out of the Summoner's LoS for a turn. It also means he will probably target someone else, but if he keeps chasing me it will move him further away from the main fight while our allies? move in.

Comedy option we blow the tank while he is standing right next to it.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

KnoxZone posted:

I think I will likely run to 1135 and get myself out of the Summoner's LoS for a turn. It also means he will probably target someone else, but if he keeps chasing me it will move him further away from the main fight while our allies? move in.

*Cough* A Davion did it.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

KnoxZone posted:

Jew it to it! posted:

*Cough* A Davion did it.

Riiiiight, and because a Davion did do it, taking out a Donar, the Naginata, and the Summoner, thereby kicking off the Combine-Davion Civil War on the first day of Liberation, I approve?!

***** Edit *****

Actually, now that I think about it, the conflict would still be known as the Fed-Com Civil War; imagine that.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 23, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Well, the tank has already been damaged, and the nearest undamaged building, H12, is 3 hexes away. If the explosion radius isn't greater than 2 hexes and the Naginata moved away...

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 23, 2017

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Blowing up bits of their factory is certainly one way to resolve the "?"s on our new allies.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Mukaikubo posted:

So, anybody have eyes on Mukaikubo?

Any other discussions on this round of orders? Or, are we good with the previous commitments?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not Alex posted:

Blowing up bits of their factory is certainly one way to resolve the "?"s on our new allies.

Not emptyquoting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah I thought about that too. I don't think it'd resolve it in a good way for the players, but it would resolve it.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

CourValant posted:

So, anybody have eyes on Mukaikubo?

Any other discussions on this round of orders? Or, are we good with the previous commitments?

I submitted orders on Thursday, sorry.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Mukaikubo posted:

I submitted orders on Thursday, sorry.

No apologies necessary, just wondering as to the submission status; hope you had an enjoyable vacation.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cascade Jones posted:

All of Robert Charrette's Battletech novels are worth reading if you're into beer and pretzels sci-fi, but Wolf Pack is arguably the weakest of the three.

Wolves on the Border is probably my favorite Battletech book with Double Blind running a close second. It's nice to have novels those don't feature absurd Mary Sue characters. Double Blind was also nice in that it gave Sun-Tzu Liao some real personality aside from "mustache twirling enemy of (insert Stackpole character)".

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah, dumb idea, that question mark must exist for a reason.

So, what would you say is the best battletech novel, if you had to choose just one? Series sequels included.

Edit: Thanks, I'll check it out!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 26, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's Wolves on the Border. This isn't even a question.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Far Country.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Defiance Industries posted:

It's Wolves on the Border. This isn't even a question.

DI told me in a PM their actual favorite is DRT

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

JackSplater posted:

Far Country.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

Yeah, dumb idea, that question mark must exist for a reason.

So, what would you say is the best battletech novel, if you had to choose just one? Series sequels included.

Edit: Thanks, I'll check it out!

Wolves on the Border and Heir to the Dragon are both good. Wolf Pack is mediocre but sort-of completes the trilogy and sets up my personal favorites: Close Quarters, Hearts of Chaos, and Black Dragon.

The 17th Recon books are fun action-schlock, the supporting cast is fantastic (the only recurring character who doesn't experience some sort of character growth, good or bad, is Cowboy Peyton who exists almost entirely to make fun of characters who don't grow (mangled quote: "Kids all over grow up playin' Cowboys and Indians. We actually are Cowboys and Indians so I reckon that means we don't ever have to grow up!")), and they're pretty much the go-to books on the Draconis Combine.

They're also the only BattleTech novels that acknowledge homosexuality exists in-universe, which is pretty significant considering they were written 1994-1996.

I really should Lets Read them, Wolves on the Border and the 17th Recon trilogy are the only ones I bothered to buy the eBooks for.

And yes, Double Blind is really good too. I should pick it up and reread it.

Most of the others I can take or leave. Stackpole's novels are important and not that bad when you realize he was doing one every 6-8 months for something like four years. They're tolerable (aside from the Red Corsair novel, which has a fun first few chapters and then turns into the worst novel in the franchise). The first of the Jade Phoenix trilogy is a fantastic anti-Clan novel while the other two books are complete trash.

The original GDL trilogy isn't that bad either, but I read them at a time when I was starting to get sick of every major author having their own pet mercenary company. The Legion is always presented as being superior to every other mercenary group that exists (and when the Wolfs Dragoons reveal made them not, the Gray Death Legion suddenly pulled power armor out of their asses).

Most of the 3050s era holding pattern books were pretty mediocre, will Victor Davion replace Joshua Marik with a double? Yes. Will Sun Tzu support terrorism? Yes. Will Kai Allard Liao do anything to save his baby-momma and son? No, but the Jade Falcons will because he's so awesome even the Clans bend heaven and earth to keep him happy.

I didn't really enjoy the Victor Davion Saves Everyone Twilight of the Clans septology, and most of the WizKids Dark Ages books were pretty dire.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wolves on the Border and Heir to the Dragon are both good. Wolf Pack is mediocre but sort-of completes the trilogy and sets up my personal favorites: Close Quarters, Hearts of Chaos, and Black Dragon.

The 17th Recon books are fun action-schlock, the supporting cast is fantastic (the only recurring character who doesn't experience some sort of character growth, good or bad, is Cowboy Peyton who exists almost entirely to make fun of characters who don't grow (mangled quote: "Kids all over grow up playin' Cowboys and Indians. We actually are Cowboys and Indians so I reckon that means we don't ever have to grow up!")), and they're pretty much the go-to books on the Draconis Combine.

They're also the only BattleTech novels that acknowledge homosexuality exists in-universe, which is pretty significant considering they were written 1994-1996.

I really should Lets Read them, Wolves on the Border and the 17th Recon trilogy are the only ones I bothered to buy the eBooks for.

And yes, Double Blind is really good too. I should pick it up and reread it.

Most of the others I can take or leave. Stackpole's novels are important and not that bad when you realize he was doing one every 6-8 months for something like four years. They're tolerable (aside from the Red Corsair novel, which has a fun first few chapters and then turns into the worst novel in the franchise). The first of the Jade Phoenix trilogy is a fantastic anti-Clan novel while the other two books are complete trash.

The original GDL trilogy isn't that bad either, but I read them at a time when I was starting to get sick of every major author having their own pet mercenary company. The Legion is always presented as being superior to every other mercenary group that exists (and when the Wolfs Dragoons reveal made them not, the Gray Death Legion suddenly pulled power armor out of their asses).

Most of the 3050s era holding pattern books were pretty mediocre, will Victor Davion replace Joshua Marik with a double? Yes. Will Sun Tzu support terrorism? Yes. Will Kai Allard Liao do anything to save his baby-momma and son? No, but the Jade Falcons will because he's so awesome even the Clans bend heaven and earth to keep him happy.

I didn't really enjoy the Victor Davion Saves Everyone Twilight of the Clans septology, and most of the WizKids Dark Ages books were pretty dire.

The only things that I remember about the actual prose of 3050s novels are that, in Malicious Intent, Stackpole chose to describe how much Vlad's broken arm hurt by describing how his scrotum clenched up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Malicious Intent was the first BattleTech novel I ever read.

It's about the worst-possible jumping on point.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Malicious Intent was the first BattleTech novel I ever read.

It's about the worst-possible jumping on point.

My first Battletech novel was Main Event. Read it in a day, hooked me on the universe, picked up the 3rd edition box next time my family was in Portland.

Early teen me had some...interesting taste in books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I can't believe you hung in there.

• Locked thread