Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It's not that bad, yet. There's still an area at least twice the size of Guatemala that people actually want to live in, so clearly there's no need to change anything. You've got to balance the desire for luxuries like nature against necessities like economic growth, and sometimes this balance goes against some peoples' aesthetic. Development is good, you just need to ensure that all stakeholders have a place at the discussion table.

Only shareholders get a vote though. You've got to have skin in the game to really care, obviously, and anyone saying otherwise isn't serious. Also, shareholders aren't allowed to vote against anything that maximizes shareholder value. It's the rules. Enforced by the courts. See: ExxonMobil vs ArjunaCapital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

doesn’t population migration have the inherent consequence of casualty, thereby implying genocide whenever enacted

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Salt Fish posted:

El nino is when winter is record mild
now its over so it will be record hot

Suckers! I live in the tiny blue area. Time to drive my F350 down the driveway to pickup the mail.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

New Delhi might approach wet bulb poo poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That's called Delhi Belly

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

quote:

here's where air conditioners could be working overtime

such a great positive feedback loop

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

she wet my bulb til my belly Delhi

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
i regret to inform you that the atlantic is still supercharged with heat and that la nina heralds worse hurricane seasons

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Complications posted:

It's not that bad, yet. There's still an area at least twice the size of Guatemala that people actually want to live in, so clearly there's no need to change anything. You've got to balance the desire for luxuries like nature against necessities like economic growth, and sometimes this balance goes against some peoples' aesthetic. Development is good, you just need to ensure that all stakeholders have a place at the discussion table.

Only shareholders get a vote though. You've got to have skin in the game to really care, obviously, and anyone saying otherwise isn't serious. Also, shareholders aren't allowed to vote against anything that maximizes shareholder value. It's the rules. Enforced by the courts. See: ExxonMobil vs ArjunaCapital.

it being literally illegal for companies to do things that are unprofitable is all you need to prove that we are never going to do anything to even slow down collapsing the climate.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
how are the ocean temperatures doing these days?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Karach posted:

Hubbert posted:

i regret to inform you that the atlantic is still supercharged with heat

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Scarabrae posted:

New Delhi might approach wet bulb poo poo

show bulb

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

it's like a battery, we can save that energy for later

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Karach posted:

faster than expected
transitory
mild
safely
time to move on

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Complications posted:

thanks for this, I do feel better

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

where’s all that energy going? space?

we finally put the carbon on rockets and sent it to space!

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Hit Man posted:

Just brush your teeth minimum twice a day for at least two minutes each time and schedule regular visits to the dentist to take care of plaque

That does sound like a very efficient way to get microplastics inside you.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

HazCat posted:

That does sound like a very efficient way to get microplastics inside you.

:wink:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

quote:

A record number of sightings of Asian hornets in the UK last year has prompted experts to urge people to remain vigilant.

The National Bee Unit said it is destroyed 72 nests in 56 locations in 2023 – most of which were in Kent.

Thanks for your service, National Bee Unit

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Microplastics posted:

stop Asian hate

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I'd be willing to surrender Kent to the hornets

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

tasty cupcake sprinkles

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Microplastics posted:

are those the same as giant hornets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_8B4bcrSs8

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Children of Men but not soon enough to stave off biosphere collapse, a real own-goal for humanity

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You really get around, don't you? :buddy:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
yes that is humanity's own goal, great to see some folks coming around to it in the thread

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Microplastics are stored in the balls

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nuking the moon is always a good solution. Would probably help reflect a lot of solar radiation if that lazy good for nothing so called celestial body would be a cloud of debris between us and the sun.

https://youtu.be/GTJ3LIA5LmA?si=3Fs38T4ASOm15CHg

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ferdinand Bardamu posted:

I hope I can recycle mine.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

it would be cool if microplastics made you sterile so that we can do a Children of Men approach to solving climate change

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/20/florida-bird-island-sanctuary-

quote:

Environmental advocates heartbroken over sale of Florida seabird preserve

Bird Key, a nesting sanctuary bought for a song in mid-1980s, is for sale for $31.5m as ‘a golden opportunity for a developer’

Environmental advocates in Florida say they are heartbroken that a wealthy investor who once intended to save a historic private island as a seabird preserve now wants to sell it for development into “Miami’s most exclusive address”.

Bird Key, one of only two natural islands in upper Biscayne Bay, was named by British surveyors in 1770 during the reign of George III for its abundant wildlife, and has served as an unspoiled nesting sanctuary since then to scores of species of native birds, including egrets, cormorants, herons and pelicans.

Now the owner, Finlay Matheson, who bought the four-acre island with a partner for $36,000 in the mid-1980s, has offered it for sale for $31.5m as “a golden opportunity for a developer”.

Matheson said he felt it was “about time” to sell Bird Key, and that he was “not concerned at all” about what happens to it, according to the Miami New Times, which first reported the listing.

“A very lucky individual may create Miami’s most exclusive address, because this gem is zoned residential,” the island’s listing, with the Miami realtor Audrey Ross, states.

In 2012, Matheson told the Miami Herald he had hoped the island would be “acquired by a government agency or private group that would restore it and declare it a protected bird sanctuary”.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

gently caress them birds

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

smoobles posted:

it would be cool if microplastics made you sterile so that we can do a Children of Men approach to solving climate change

Ahem

bawfuls posted:

Children of Men but not soon enough to stave off biosphere collapse, a real own-goal for humanity

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The Oldest Man posted:

gently caress them birds

budgie,

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

the 'owner' of the island in another story:
Still, Matheson said he wants to sell the island as soon as the right buyer makes an offer.
“Hurry up…make an offer. Get it done,” Matheson said.

Kicked Throat has issued a correction as of 00:35 on May 21, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We're really only a few generations away from being hosed up sterile plastic monsters

in conjunction with the planet working up a fever to burn us out

really seems like we don't have long as a species, huh

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

hosed up sterile plastic monsters
TMNT cadence :hehe:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

We're really only a few generations away from being hosed up sterile plastic monsters

in conjunction with the planet working up a fever to burn us out

really seems like we don't have long as a species, huh

life becomes a horror show when all the kids are sucking on plastic pouches instead of just eating the natural fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Ferdinand Bardamu posted: