Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

BlackMK4 posted:

HP ZR22W in portrait mode at 1080x1920. It looks really dim next to the iMac since it puts out about half the light, but it's the right size. I don't know what a better option would be but it works for $80.

Looks pretty sweet. Any particularly useful things to do with it?

I had a monitor that did the rotation but it was 4:3 and the stand broke so I had to get a non-rotating stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Light Gun Man posted:

Looks pretty sweet. Any particularly useful things to do with it?

I had a monitor that did the rotation but it was 4:3 and the stand broke so I had to get a non-rotating stand.

Interesting to do reading and documents on, that's the only poo poo I like vertical monitors for.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I keep my irssi, Adium tabbed chat window, and a tabbed terminal window over there. I mainly use it for PyCharm, XCode, or Brackets.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

God I had reflections on matte screens.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I have my new desk, but since you folks keep mentioning it, Home Depot has the gladiator on sale today
http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

glug posted:

I have my new desk, but since you folks keep mentioning it, Home Depot has the gladiator on sale today
http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay

Well, it's a Gladiator workbench. It's only 5'-6" long, though—the one goons wax rhapsodic about is 8 feet.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Good find, but that's also not the one with adjustable legs.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Just moved and this is the hot mess I'm working with so far...

Monitors are Dell U2312HM and Asus VH236H. Hoping to get a 27" soon to use as main monitor and get rid of the Asus, and keep the Dell on the right in portrait mode. Kinda wanting to jump on the Gladiator bandwagon cuz I definitely need more desk space.

What the gently caress is cable management?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Nice fax machine, grandpa

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Here is some of my desktop - I still need to:

1: Buy and install the innards
2: Buy a monitor
3: Resist or give in to the urge to paint the monitor
4: Put it on a desk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

klen dool posted:

Here is some of my desktop - I still need to:

1: Buy and install the innards
2: Buy a monitor
3: Resist or give in to the urge to paint the monitor
4: Put it on a desk

Nice shirtless selfie dude on your case(?)

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

DethMarine21 posted:

Finally finished upgrading all my peripherals; should be set for a while now.

e; click for big

Welp, here's what 3 years of "progress" looks like.

I love having a vertical 16:10 monitor; it makes reading comic books data sheets so much easier.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nice shirtless selfie dude on your case(?)

Hahaha really - that looks like a topless guy? I guess I know the original photo - its a top-ful woman taking a selfie.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've had this Ikea Jerker desk for more than ten years and always had this pivoting shelf with it. Up until now, it's basically been my inbox, meaning that it's covered in papers and ignored. For ten years. I finally decided to lower it a bit and turn it into a poor man's standing desk.

I'm sure it doesn't meet the ergonomic requirements of a good standing desk (laptop display nowhere near eye level, for one), but it's still a quick way to move to my feet and keep working. I'll have to fiddle with the height.

One good thing about this desk is that the table top can be set at any height (~2" invervals), but you have to practically disassemble the entire thing first. The top is also pretty deep, around 30". It's a drat shame Ikea discontinued it in favor of less flexible, cheaper models. This was $200 new.

If I ever had to replace it, those spiffy workbenches in this thread are very drool-worthy, and the depth I'm used to can be pretty much made up with a monitor arm and pulling it away from the wall. I really like the idea of shoving the monitor the gently caress out of the way so I can use it as a writing desk, anyway.

edit:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

DethMarine21 posted:

Welp, here's what 3 years of "progress" looks like.

I love having a vertical 16:10 monitor; it makes reading comic books data sheets so much easier.

Shattered Horizon mousepad? Do people still play that (please tell me yes)?

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Shattered Horizon mousepad? Do people still play that (please tell me yes)?

Yup. I used to play it a ton but the number of players slowly declined. The last update added single player modes and bot support so I would say it's dead at this point. :(

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Proud of this little setup for two reasons - originally the desk had the table on the right side, but that wouldn't have fit well in this corner, so I swapped it and moved the little sliding keyboard rest to the opposite side. Secondly - installed hooks to elevate my laptop and give me back the square footage on the desk. I take it with me when I travel and it's no big deal to just unplug everything and pull it out when needed.

The chair - I've gone through two different padded desk chairs and a bosu ball, but for some reason nothing is as comfy for me as this wooden dining room chair that I've had with me for years now :confused:

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 1, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

klen dool posted:

Hahaha really - that looks like a topless guy? I guess I know the original photo - its a top-ful woman taking a selfie.

:)

What's the story behind that? I'm genuinely curious as to why it's on your PC case.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

klen dool posted:

Yeah, I thought it was a topless dude, too.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:)

What's the story behind that? I'm genuinely curious as to why it's on your PC case.

Its my missus, taking a selfie while we were on holiday in Hawaii - I took the photo while she was taking the photo, and I think she is very pretty in the photo, so I stencilled her on my computer case :) Making a stencil out of a photo was way way easier than I though it would be.

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, I thought it was a topless dude, too.

I don't think Ill tell her that haha - Is the stencil really that ambiguous?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

klen dool posted:

Looked like a dude to me too. After being told it's a woman and taking a longer look I can start to see the feminine features, but at a glance it's still more like a dude. :shrug:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

klen dool posted:

From the thumbnail, it looked like a shirtless dude with 80s hair, but it looks fine in the full-size image so I'm sure it looks fine in real life

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If the internet has taught me anything, its that you should never post pictures of your girlfriend on the internet unless she is a solid 10.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

why would you stencil a picture of your girlfriend on a computer case?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Photex posted:

Why not? gently caress it, it's his case.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Photex posted:

How do humans work? Beep boop

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Photex posted:

Well, I wanted to stencil something - and I didn't want to do something really nerdy like mario or a band logo or something. I spent ages looking around for stencils or images that I could stencil, and when I saw the photo I thought it was cool looking. Also, its kinda complicated and really stretched my ability. I guess it is a little weird maybe, but I like how it turned out, and its better than some random person I don't know on there, and it reminds me of the time we went to Hawaii together and stood on lava flows and that's a good memory.

I stencilled the gas mask on the other side, because I really like gas masks. There is a sense of futility with gas masks, and they are ominous - its a device that shouldn't need to exist (outside of fire fighters). Also, I like playing stalker so it fits that need to have something game related on the case without overtly stencilling the stalker logo.

Laserface posted:

If the internet has taught me anything, its that you should never post pictures of your girlfriend on the internet unless she is a solid 10.

Agreed, but I thought gently caress it and took the risk. We are all adults here, and its not an overtly sexual pose. Also, its a stencil not a real life photo - its a little more abstract than a photo.

Accretionist posted:

From the thumbnail, it looked like a shirtless dude with 80s hair, but it looks fine in the full-size image so I'm sure it looks fine in real life

phew!

isndl posted:

Looked like a dude to me too. After being told it's a woman and taking a longer look I can start to see the feminine features, but at a glance it's still more like a dude. :shrug:

I guess that is the nature of stencils - it really is a process of subtraction, removing features until there is just enough left to describe the scene. Perhaps I took away to much! I probably could have made sure the feminine features were more detailed, the face and boobs mainly I suppose. Its really hard, since its pretty subjective - I know her face, so that stencil looks like her to me. You don't know what she looks like, so you can only see what you can see.

Thanks for the feedback :D Next time I do some stencilling, I'll know where I can improve. Another improvement I could make is the actual process of getting the image onto the case - here is the process I followed:

1. Found the images I wanted to stencil
  2. Processed them in gimp to create the image to stencil - black on white
  3. Used rasterbator to blow the image up to be printed on 4 A4 images - printed out multiple copies of both images
  4. Sanded the case a little
  5. Put on three coats of primer, and three coats of flat white spray paint, waiting a day between each coat for it to dry properly
  6. Covered the case sides in green painters masking tape.
  7. Used a glue stick to stick the A4 paper onto the masking tape
  8. Used a craft scalpel to cut the black bits out
  9. Spray painted the case sides with black glossy spray paint
  10. Removed the green painters tape
  11. Noted that it bloody pulled off a bunch of the primer and white
  12. Realised I put the base coats on too thick, and didn't let it dry enough, and probably the sanding wasn't any where near good enough
  13. Swore quite a lot
  14. Sanded the whole lot right back to bare metal
  15. Put on 10 really thin coats of primer, and ten really thin coats of flat white spray paint, each coat looked like a kid had sneezed on the case - this meant it dried really fast, and I could do the whole lot in about 2 hours, instead of putting one thick coat on and waiting overnight for it to dry
  16. Covered the case sides in green painters masking tape.
  17. Used a glue stick to stick the A4 paper onto the masking tape
  18. Used a craft scalpel to cut the black bits out
  19. Spray painted the case sides with black glossy spray paint
  20. Removed the green painters tape
  21. Noted that the base paint stayed where it bloody well should
  22. Noticed that if you looked really really closely, the scalpel had scored grooves into the actual metal, and some of the base coat had flaked off around the cuts in some places showing the bare metal
  23. Thought "gently caress it - you can't see it unless you look really really close"
  24. Put on 3 or 4 coats of glossy clear kote - I didn't have to be quite as careful with this coat
  25. Pulled of all the masking tape from the slots and screw holes on the rest of the case - the case was beige and brown before I painted it white. I wish I had a before picture actually....
  26. Washed all the parts, put it back together, sat back and was relieved it looks great :)

Things I learnt:

1. Don't skimp on the sanding
  2. Spray paint many coats, don't go for 2 or 3 full coverage coats waiting 24 hours between coats - go for many many quick sneezy coats waiting 3 or 4 minutes betweenand get it done in an hour
  3. Be objective of the stencil, accentuate a little parts that may be ambiguous
  4. Using a craft scalpel (or probably even a craft knife/box cutter) to cut the stencil out may not be the best approach
  5. Perhaps get the image printed out at a vinyl cutters or other sticker place

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

klen dool posted:

I stencilled the gas mask on the other side, because I really like gas masks. There is a sense of futility with gas masks, and they are ominous - its a device that shouldn't need to exist (outside of fire fighters).

ARE YOU MY MOMMY?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

ARE YOU MY MOMMY?

Yep, I sure am. Now clean your teeth and go to bed - you've got school in the morning.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

klen dool posted:

Yep, I sure am. Now clean your teeth and go to bed - you've got school in the morning.

Sorry, I can't really recommend Doctor Who, but it's from that show.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Sorry, I can't really recommend Doctor Who, but it's from that show.

Oooooooooooooh of course, the gas masks growing out of faces in ww2 era London - whoosh indeed.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

klen dool posted:

That would be true if i was a teacher, as it is I work in the Computer industry (I remember Tom Baker as the Doctor - and not from reruns)

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

jebeebus posted:

Just moved and this is the hot mess I'm working with so far...

Monitors are Dell U2312HM and Asus VH236H. Hoping to get a 27" soon to use as main monitor and get rid of the Asus, and keep the Dell on the right in portrait mode. Kinda wanting to jump on the Gladiator bandwagon cuz I definitely need more desk space.

What the gently caress is cable management?

Coming together a bit more. Got a BenQ XL2720T to use as main monitor; put Dell in portrait and got rid of the Asus. Next thing I want to upgrade are the speakers; had these Swans M200s for nearly 10 years now, but they're not too great for mixing/monitoring.

Cable management has improved by approximately 2.4% :coolspot:

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A professional painter will tell you to do several light coats, like you mentioned, and then a final thick coat to dry for the night. The first couple coats act like sticky fingers that grab onto the final coat, or that's how the painter I knew described it. Who knows what is actually happening, but it works.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Comatoast posted:

A professional painter will tell you to do several light coats, like you mentioned, and then a final thick coat to dry for the night. The first couple coats act like sticky fingers that grab onto the final coat, or that's how the painter I knew described it. Who knows what is actually happening, but it works.

Oh okay, that does make sense I guess :) I actually just painting my dvd drive face today, hopefully I'll be able to take and post pics tomorrow of my setup

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Yay finally got everything set up nicely:

Close up of the case with painted optical drive:

Where I sit when I use a controller:

Where I sit when I use a keyboard and mouse:

A close up of the monitor on the left - a reclaimed laptop monitor:

This is what I got:

• Seagate 1000GB Hard Drive
  • 500W PSU
  • 4x4GB DDR3-1600 RAM
  • Intel Core i5-4690 3.5 GHz, Socket 1150, Haswell
  • AsusGeForce GTX 960 Video Card, 2048MB
  • Asus Vanguard B85 Motherboard, Socket 1150
  • Asus DVD Writer

I'll upgrade with an SSD later, when they get cheaper.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

klen dool posted:

I'll upgrade with an SSD later, when they get cheaper.

They're so loving cheap and the best thing you can do to your system. Stop being lazy/a cheapskate; you'll do it and wonder how you lived without them.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

They're so loving cheap and the best thing you can do to your system. Stop being lazy/a cheapskate; you'll do it and wonder how you lived without them.

That one is not cheap, its 1nzd per GB. I can get a one terabyte for 100nzd which is 10cents a GB. The performance for the cost just isn't worth it - and I am saying that as someone with a 128gb ssd in a chromebook (running Linux) and a 500gb Intel ssd in his work computer.

It's not lazyness, nor is it being a cheapskate - its just not worth it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

klen dool posted:

The performance for the cost just isn't worth it
lol it's totally worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Eh, don't listen to 'em, they'll only get cheaper and you'll soon be tripping over them.

They are hella good though. And cheap!