Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Stay safe out their Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Bidding while waiting for promotion results is really taxing my sanity. Why do they do it this way? Why?

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child
One week until I know where I'm going -- I have a feeling that Composure Under Fire and practicing speeches will not make the time pass any more quickly.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Composure under Fire is awesome, because it's one of the first times you'll get to watch most of a room full of highly accomplished people (yourself included) fail at something. Yeah, some people will do well but if you're really getting into it like we were, mostly everyone will "get got." You'll never look at the daily press briefings (which you really should subscribe to, they're quite interesting) the same way again.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Lahore consulate now shuttered as well (though separate from the reasons the other 19 closures happened for, apparently).

Things seem to be a little uncertain right now. Hope you all are staying a bit perkier than usual for the time being.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Bidding while waiting for promotion results is really taxing my sanity. Why do they do it this way? Why?

Yeah, I hated that last year. Even with the MSI it was still a pain in the rear end.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
whoo, typhoon warning!

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
What is a Consular Agent and how do you become one? Are they part of Foreign Service? Paid? By State?

My friend had to drop some documents off at a "US Consular Agent"in Acapulco and said it was some tiny dinky office in a hotel that didn't look official and the guy had a prodigy.net email account.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

problematique posted:

My friend had to drop some documents off at a "US Consular Agent"in Acapulco and said it was some tiny dinky office in a hotel that didn't look official and the guy had a prodigy.net email account.

Uhhhhhhh...what documents your friend provide? I've seen some pretty ghetto-rigged consulate setups, but if he is using a prodigy.net account I seriously doubt he is actually representing the US Gov.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Apparently...

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/edirectory.html posted:

Consular Agent in Acapulco
(An extension of the Embassy in Mexico City)

Hotel Continental Emporio
Costera M. Alemán 121 - Office 14
Acapulco, Gro. 39670
Monday-Friday: 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.

Office: [52] (744) 481-0100f
Phone/Fax: [52] (744) 484-0300
E-Mail: consular@prodigy.net.mx

Consular Agent: Alexander Richards

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/merida/231771/PDFs/Consular%20Quarterly%20June%202011.pdf posted:

Alex, who has been working at
the U.S. Consular Agency in
Acapulco since 1999,

I guess he's an official employee, but not an FSO.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
Check Embassy Mexico City. Looks like there's an agent in Acapulco matching those details.

E:f,b

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Xandu posted:

Apparently...

I guess he's an official employee, but not an FSO.

Huh...look at that. Glad it's not a scam.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Bruxism posted:

Huh...look at that. Glad it's not a scam.

Yeah, we have a few of those around the country here too.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

That seems sketchy as hell, though, sketchy enough that it might keep some folks who need to go there away. At the very least, the agents could have .gov email accounts, right?

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

SCRwM posted:

And on Flag Day we got....

Tbilisi Georgia

So I met you at the pool today? Did not recall your post assignment at the time but went thru old post to check. Unless there is some other Georgia posted IMS at the Oakwood!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Bruxism posted:

Uhhhhhhh...what documents your friend provide? I've seen some pretty ghetto-rigged consulate setups, but if he is using a prodigy.net account I seriously doubt he is actually representing the US Gov.

They have a few here too. Not 100% sure on what they do. Investigate passport/visa/fraud, perhaps.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope
They just provide consular services to places were a consular section might be tough to reach. Lots of them on island nations that don't have an embassy for example.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
oh, well. we've got 7,000 islands here, so that really explains it..

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

That seems sketchy as hell, though, sketchy enough that it might keep some folks who need to go there away. At the very least, the agents could have .gov email accounts, right?

Depending upon multiple factors, he may not have consistent access to OpenVPN, hence the sketchy email address through his ISP.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Who still uses Prodigy though....I used to use them 20 something years ago.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Nobody has ever questioned my GiodoDepartmentofStateNoReally@aol.com address.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

Who still uses Prodigy though....I used to use them 20 something years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigy_(online_service)#In_Mexico

quote:

In Mexico, Prodigy Internet is the main ISP with an estimated 92% of market share. It is also the leader in WiFi (hotspots) and broadband (DSL) access. The broadband service is called Prodigy Infinitum and is available in speeds of 512kbit/s, 1024 kbit/s, 2048 kbit/s, 4096 kbit/s and 20480 kbit/s.[19] The installation and DSL or fiber optic modem are free and it is no longer necessary to sign a two-year service contract. Prodigy Internet in Mexico is part of Telmex (Teléfonos de México) and its sister company Telnor (Teléfonos del Noroeste).

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Packed out!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

So that's where the hundreds of dollars in hidden hourly charges for playing MUDs from my childhood went....

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

Doctor Rope

psydude posted:

Depending upon multiple factors, he may not have consistent access to OpenVPN, hence the sketchy email address through his ISP.

Seems like a low bandwidth webmail service would be a good idea. It doesn't need to be state.gov, just something a little more confidence inspiring than a prodigy account. When people have to turn to goons to verify that government official is legit you're really inviting a lot of problems.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Seems like a low bandwidth webmail service would be a good idea. It doesn't need to be state.gov, just something a little more confidence inspiring than a prodigy account. When people have to turn to goons to verify that government official is legit you're really inviting a lot of problems.

I'm somewhat surprised they don't have a FOB, but I know those can be rear end on slow connections.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
A low bandwidth email service would be helpful for AF. Instead we have Outlook Webmail.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

A low bandwidth email service would be helpful for AF. Instead we have Outlook Webmail.

It's cool, they tested it at Main State and one of the annexes, should work anywhere in the world.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

All of which is probably hosted at ESOC East. Because Cloud!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
There's literally not words to describe the rage I felt on TDY in Nairobi fairly early on in my assignment when I spent no joke 45 minutes logging in to my webmail only to find out that they had lost my car shipment. I hit reply to formulate some sort of rage response, which took 15 minutes just to load up the reply window. A cooling off period was probably a good thing but at some point, that "helpful delay" turns into its own form of rage.

-e- can you tell that I'm still mad from the excessive use of the word rage?

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
Tonight on the Miltary Channel at 10PM: SECRETS OF DIPLOMATIC SECURITY.

This is all I can think of (and sorta wish what was going to happen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twYKDZIFhRI

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Homie S posted:

Tonight on the Miltary Channel at 10PM: SECRETS OF DIPLOMATIC SECURITY.

This is all I can think of (and sorta wish what was going to happen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twYKDZIFhRI

Haha

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Diplomaticus posted:

So that's where the hundreds of dollars in hidden hourly charges for playing MUDs from my childhood went....

Gemstone 3? Because I played that one.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

There's literally not words to describe the rage I felt on TDY in Nairobi fairly early on in my assignment when I spent no joke 45 minutes logging in to my webmail only to find out that they had lost my car shipment. I hit reply to formulate some sort of rage response, which took 15 minutes just to load up the reply window. A cooling off period was probably a good thing but at some point, that "helpful delay" turns into its own form of rage.

-e- can you tell that I'm still mad from the excessive use of the word rage?

When I first started here, we were still running a T3 over to Main State. IRM was pushing hard for us to migrate our exchange mailboxes over to the remote datacenter (I guess because they needed a reason to justify spending untold fortunes on building it), and most of the executives and senior managers at the FSI were all for it and so they were the first to have theirs moved. Well as it turns out, trying to retrieve mail from a remote server for several hundred users first thing in the morning tends to burn through 44 megabits in no time.

Didn't take long before the ES/SES types moved their mailboxes back and finally approved the request for a Metro E line.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 14, 2013

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AKA Pseudonym posted:

They just provide consular services to places were a consular section might be tough to reach. Lots of them on island nations that don't have an embassy for example.

They provide SOME consular services, and they don't have to be US citizens - they fall under LES category. They mostly do things like accept passport applications and provide prison visits if needed.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Strudelmeyer posted:

So I met you at the pool today? Did not recall your post assignment at the time but went thru old post to check. Unless there is some other Georgia posted IMS at the Oakwood!

Nope I'm the only one (was there with my kids).

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
BTW - for anyone who is transferring from another agency to DOS, when they say "everything transfers", that is not true. Been spending the past few weeks trying to get straigtened out why my dental/vision/dependent care/FSA have not been taken out of my check...

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I recall from HR that the only thing that doesn't transfer is Health Benefits. This is because FS has some of the better (if not best) plans in the Government.

Then again the same person also told us that we were tax-exempt. (note: you are not tax-exempt)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

There's always that feeling of nervousness walking out of the local bank carrying 15,000 in cash from your car sale.

This is also heightened as this area is known for its quick nappings, muggings and other crime (1 block from our apartment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

TCD posted:

There's always that feeling of nervousness walking out of the local bank carrying 15,000 in cash from your car sale.

This is also heightened as this area is known for its quick nappings, muggings and other crime (1 block from our apartment).

No cashiers check?