Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
this one had a wider crop, but i feel like i still like the first shot better

IMG_8990.jpg by kidkissinger, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I think that one is a much stronger composition. I wish the woman's leg wasn't in a stocking (it disappears into the background too much), but that's it.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

if i were to do that shot again, i would probably shoot at f4.5, with the camera at a slightly higher angle, with my head at 45 degrees to my body, and the leg without a stocking.

someday.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
i cant believe i met david lynch

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Me by francography, on Flickr

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
My first time playing around with long exposures:

_MG_5508.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

Bonus "I accidently left the lights on but I think it's kinda rad" shot.

_MG_5510.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you live with fundies?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Self Portrait by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

This is mad.

I got bored today, I should probably find someone to sit for me. Excuse the over-sharpening. Fighting with lightroom again.
Self, 26.04.15 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 26, 2015

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Another friend portrait. In his rehearsal studio.

Ross by spikemccue, on Flickr

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Is there a reason for so much head room? It doesn't seem to add anything to the picture and makes him seem short to me.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Chitin posted:

Is there a reason for so much head room? It doesn't seem to add anything to the picture and makes him seem short to me.

The idea of the project is shooting my friends in their homes or work spaces. There's a bunch of space around them to show the space. Should I do another crop?

Edit: clarity

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 26, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Awkward Davies posted:

The idea of the project is shooting my friends in their homes or apartments. There's a bunch of space around them for that reason. Should I do another crop?

FWIW, I think it works.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

For my taste I'd do a different crop, since there's nothing above his head other than a couple of acoustic tiles - if there were hanging instruments or signage or something I'd keep as is. That's just me though, and my background is video much more than photography.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The first one is paper.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Lee by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

Trying to decide which of these I like better. Leaning toward #2 even though it's super grainy.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

The grain makes that shot. Feels cramped at the top but otherwise great.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

rohan posted:

The grain makes that shot. Feels cramped at the top but otherwise great.

Thanks! Fair enough - especially given the recent conversation re: headroom. Evidently I don't like it.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Sorry to post twice in a row, but

Self Portrait - "Tipping Point" by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I guess this is a portrait.

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Chitin posted:

Sorry to post twice in a row, but

Self Portrait - "Tipping Point" by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

I like what you're going for here, a few points that I think would help you if you're looking to take this into a project.
If you're going to go for direct light I'd recommend looking at shaping your light a little better, at the moment the spill above the door frame really looks messy. Creating lines along the backdrop to lead my eye to yourself would have been a good idea and can be done very easily even with practical lamps, additionally I think it's a little too bright for the mood you're shooting for.
I don't know what your technical limitations were but a slight rim/backlight on yourself, would have been helpful, as your head is disappearing behind the door(also the reflection in the door doesn't add much.)
Composition-ally , your placement in frame is a bit odd, the right hand of frame doesn't quite have enough information to warrant being a near-empty third, I see the chair but it's not quite prevalent enough to be a really convincing story element. My approach would have been to push yourself and the chair right over to frame right, move yourself to the other side of the table, so you were side-lit from the kitchen with bounce fill coming in off the table and perhaps include some other elements (empty scotch bottle maybe?) on the counter. As you almost certainly know we read usually read images left->right, so having the conclusion of your narrative on the far right makes sense. Alternatively, having the chair better lit or more prevalent in frame would have also worked, though the narrative would read slightly differently.
Really pay attention to how the eye wanders when you do your tests, and look at frames from films and painters like Vermeer, see how they use that same understanding of how the eye 'reads' an image to tell a story.

Hope that makes sense, it's 2:30AM where I am.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 3, 2015

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pukestain Pal posted:

I guess this is a portrait.

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Sorry, it's street

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Dren posted:

Sorry, it's street

:iceburn:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Dren posted:

Sorry, it's street

The greatest insult :(

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

XTimmy posted:

Great stuff

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! The composition and audience response feedback is perfect.

In terms of constraints, I hear you on light shaping - I normally have C-stands and flags at my disposal, and working without them was really irritating.

Also, parts of the frame ended up way darker on Flickr than on my computer - is this a color space thing? Is there a fix?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Chitin posted:

is this a color space thing?

That'd be my first guess.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.
Even if people seem to be using this thread as a place to publish their pics, I'd like to ask a few suggestions for an upcoming charity shoot.

I'm going to be taking promotional photos of a my MMA-training partners and I'd like to hear some suggestions for it.

They're looking firstly for a basic 3/4 or 1/2 for each of the top fighters/trainees they have and even though I'm an amateur I can probably deliver that. I'll use a harsh rembrandt lighting with metz 58 in a small diy soft box and black background to do these. Might use a reflector in the opposite lower corner if necessary. +Have the model do some exercise before shots to make them look more ripped.

I'd like to do something innovative on top of that, and sort of lacking ideas that would be original. Thought about using flour or spray bottle to create particles that'd enhance the feeling of depth and have the models throw a kick or punch towards the camera. But this feels a bit lame.

Anybody here have ideas they'd be willing to share?

Gear available, EM-1, Oly ed 12-40mm f2.8, Zuiko 75mm f1.8, metz 58. Shoot through umbrella, diy mini-box and a diy reflector.

TLDR:
Un-innovative amateur hack wants to steal your ideas.

beta fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 3, 2015

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

IMG_0383.jpg by kidkissinger, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

beta posted:

Even if people seem to be using this thread as a place to publish their pics, I'd like to ask a few suggestions for an upcoming charity shoot.

I'm going to be taking promotional photos of a my MMA-training partners and I'd like to hear some suggestions for it.

They're looking firstly for a basic 3/4 or 1/2 for each of the top fighters/trainees they have and even though I'm an amateur I can probably deliver that. I'll use a harsh rembrandt lighting with metz 58 in a small diy soft box and black background to do these. Might use a reflector in the opposite lower corner if necessary. +Have the model do some exercise before shots to make them look more ripped.

I'd like to do something innovative on top of that, and sort of lacking ideas that would be original. Thought about using flour or spray bottle to create particles that'd enhance the feeling of depth and have the models throw a kick or punch towards the camera. But this feels a bit lame.

Anybody here have ideas they'd be willing to share?

Gear available, EM-1, Oly ed 12-40mm f2.8, Zuiko 75mm f1.8, metz 58. Shoot through umbrella, diy mini-box and a diy reflector.

TLDR:
Un-innovative amateur hack wants to steal your ideas.

You aren't gonna get cool particle effects with just one light. you would need aggressive side lighting to do that. Definitely grab a friend and practise lighting it before doing it in front of strangers.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.
Thanks. I realized the side lighting was necessary when doing tests for the stuff I want to try out with the shoot. I feel I can get enough of bokehing particles to make the effect happen I'm looking for. Please tell me if I'm completely wrong.

Man nipple warning and no reflector used: http://i.imgur.com/Z38KR2M.jpg

I was planning on using a bounce from the side with some of straight flash leaking and a reflector as close as possible and a little to the front, to fill out the opposing side and give a little gleam to the eyes.
Problem with this is approach is light leakage. I'll see how much it matter as we're shooting in the gym so there's, well not a lot, but hopefully sufficient amount of empty space to vanish the unwanted light in to.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

beta posted:

Thanks. I realized the side lighting was necessary when doing tests for the stuff I want to try out with the shoot. I feel I can get enough of bokehing particles to make the effect happen I'm looking for. Please tell me if I'm completely wrong.

I was planning on using a bounce from the side with some of straight flash leaking and a reflector as close as possible and a little to the front, to fill out the opposing side and give a little gleam to the eyes.
Problem with this is approach is light leakage. I'll see how much it matter as we're shooting in the gym so there's, well not a lot, but hopefully sufficient amount of empty space to vanish the unwanted light in to.

Try using your flash further away from him. Bump iso if you really need to.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.
O.k.
Thanks. I wish I had a multifunction brolly instead of shoot through as I would be able to control the light a bit better. I can try the spray paint method though http://allenmowery.com/diy-reflective-umbrella-with-dual-speedlight-bracket

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

beta posted:

That just looks kinda dirty. I would suggest you ditch the idea of particles and rembrandt them with the soft box. Maybe oil them up first so they look all muscly.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

beta posted:

This is setting my "someone didn't dust well enough when scanning" alarm off.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Or it looks like selfie in a filthy mirror.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.
Hmm. You may have a point. If they want to actually invest money at some point we can try to do it in a studio or in the gym with rented flashes.
I'll have the guys do do some exercise to buff them up and have a spray bottle ready if I need more sweat.

I'll do the rembrandt anyways. This rest is just something to try take a couple of shots that would be, I don't know, not dull.

The second idea I had was going for aggressive expressions. I.e.

Edit: Ha! Thanks, it's definitely some other material than misted water I'll use if I ever do the particle idea :D

beta fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 4, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

beta posted:

Hmm. You may have a point. If they want to actually invest money at some point we can try to do it in a studio or in the gym with rented flashes.
I'll have the guys do do some exercise to buff them up and have a spray bottle ready if I need more sweat.

I'll do the rembrandt anyways. This rest is just something to try take a couple of shots that would be, I don't know, not dull.

Just book a couple hours in a local studio that has more lighting than you could ever use available to you.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

beta posted:

Consider using hard light from either the top down or straight up for your "interesting" shots. The aggressive expression thing might back fire on you when someone makes a dumb face while punch-kicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Just book a couple hours in a local studio that has more lighting than you could ever use available to you.
Yeah, that'd be the way to go. Problem is that the gym is in Panama where 20 bucks is a days wage and the guy running the gym is really low on budget (there is none). I'm thinking now if I get just one good basic portrait of each of the guys I'd save my lovely ideas for a time when I can find either a rentable studio with lighting or can cajole a local photographer to rent their gear and pay it all out of my own pocket.

8th-snype posted:

Consider using hard light from either the top down or straight up for your "interesting" shots. The aggressive expression thing might back fire on you when someone makes a dumb face while punch-kicking.
I'll try that. Thanks!

beta fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 4, 2015