Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

This is all cool, though I wish you'd posted the sources just to save me some legwork. Do you know if there's any info out there on when benefits of welfare programs get "extended"? My mother agrees with most of the things you said but has some weird belief that people constantly get extensions and that people are using these to live for years and years on welfare. She also simply didn't believe that other countries have more progressive welfare systems ("Maybe on paper, but they don't constantly cave and extend benefits for people like we do.").

General sources from memory:

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applicant_recipients/eligibility.htm
http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/snapmain.htm
http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/MENU/Published/snap/snap.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Revdomezehis posted:

Also fun fact, getting SNAP made me stop going to Price Chopper (Grocery store chain) because when I went to use self-checkout it basically loudly announces for me to swipe my food stamp card to everyone around that area. :waycool:
:siren: "POOR PERSON DETECTED" :siren:

I would think this more common at non-discount groceries. Shouldn't stores targeting a lower income demo be more sensitive to that sort of thing?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

My conservative family members get angry that SNAP uses cards now instead of actual stamps or whatever because now poor people aren't ashamed when they use them!

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Revdomezehis posted:

Also fun fact, getting SNAP made me stop going to Price Chopper (Grocery store chain) because when I went to use self-checkout it basically loudly announces for me to swipe my food stamp card to everyone around that area. :waycool:

If I recall there was a politician from somewhere (Florida?) who was lamenting the fact that food stamp EBT cards look too much like credit/debit cards and wanted them to be bright yellow or something, so recipients could be sure of an extra dose of shame at the cashier. (I think I remember seeing something similar in a chain email). Presumably he'd be quite happy with poor-alarm klaxons at every grocery store.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

PerniciousKnid posted:

:siren: "POOR PERSON DETECTED" :siren:

I would think this more common at non-discount groceries. Shouldn't stores targeting a lower income demo be more sensitive to that sort of thing?

Price Chopper doesn't really target lower income, some of their poo poo is kinda overpriced, hence the lower classes alarm.

For contrast, the self checkout line at Walmart used the same voice clip of "Swipe your card" that it does for if you used your debit or credit card. I just remember it being rather shocking that they would go through the trouble of recording a completely different message just to let everyone know a poor was around.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Revdomezehis posted:

I just remember it being rather shocking that they would go through the trouble of recording a completely different message just to let everyone know a poor was around.
I guess that must've been before you found this thread.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Nah I was already kind of a raging liberal as it were, it's just another in the long line of things that are shocking in the sense of "Why would someone put in so much effort to be a dick to someone else when it's easier to be helpful/discreet/nice/generous?"

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Revdomezehis posted:

Nah I was already kind of a raging liberal as it were, it's just another in the long line of things that are shocking in the sense of "Why would someone put in so much effort to be a dick to someone else when it's easier to be helpful/discreet/nice/generous?"

Plus, accepting EBT is optional. So they are basically saying, "Yes we will take your government handout money, as long as we can shame you while we do it. Please shop here again!"

I remember when I was working at BJ's warehouse (which at the time didn't take Food Stamps) and this couple brought up two big carts full of meat and stuff, and their card wasn't working. So I took it, looked at it and said loudly, "What is EBT?!" Needless to say I was the one feeling ashamed once someone told me what it was. I felt less shame later though when I had to put back two carts of cold food :argh:

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I really don't think it's maliciousness by the stores. Probably just the software company they contracted not thinking about the implications.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I am going to lose my mind. I live in Mississippi. Amendment 26 is upon us. This is the amendment that defines life at conception, and will make life hard on everyone in Mississippi. I've been hearing stupid arguments from people I thought reasonable, and reasonable arguments from people I thought stupid (my idiot Chad Brochill calculus professor took time out of talking about Gears of War 3 to say "Yeah, we really need to criminalize contraception in the state that leads the country in teen pregnancies," and then made a jerking off motion.). I learned a long time ago that you will never change someone's mind on abortion; you just won't. You'd have an easier time convincing a Tea Partier to join your Occupy protest.

Anyway, among all the blisteringly stupid comments and the insightful comments that I've seen plastered up and down Facebook, I see this:

quote:

and i feel i must clarify i am pro life and anti contraception, but i do not like ammendment 26. its too vague.
[...]
well like i said, i am anti contraception, except in the cases where it is needed for health reasons. then i dont think it should be marketed as contraception
This was in argument with someone who supports Amendment 26.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

ClosedBSD posted:

Congrats, your lab partner is pretty fantastic at repeating talking points. Better hope that your lab was explained word for word in class, with your professor tying in conspiracy theories involving College Democrats into the labs instructions, which he drew out in nonsensical graphs and diagrams on the chalkboard, in between bouts of crying because he "loves this class so much", but "fears for it."; because if your lab is in anything less than this format there is no way your partner will remember.

This is loving hilarious.

What is it about the Republicans spouting talking points against OWS that they always mention public defecation. And nine times out of ten will use the word "feckless" to describe the protesters.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

Sarion posted:

The only "welfare" that gets extended, is unemployment insurance, which you and your boss paid into when you were working, like other kinds of insurance. And by definition you had to have been working to get it. Calling unemployment insurance welfare is like saying its welfare when your homeowner's insurance pays to have your house rebuilt after a fire.

It's also worth pointing out that just because you are unemployed does not guarentee unemployment insurance. If you are fired for cause you don't get it -- and those causes vary from stealing from the company to the smallest "took an unauthorized break" in right-to-work states. I was able to receive 10 months of unemployment benefits after being laid off (rather, I got a job after ten months of being laid off; I could have gotten it extended) whereas a guy I know who was managing a store gave himself a 10 minute break while he was the manager on-duty and the company fired him. He was denied unemployment, appealed, and lost.

When I was out visiting my folks while unemployed, my father subjected me to Sean Hannity, and they were discussing all these shiftless people on unemployment not looking for work. "But that's not you, you're trying to find a job," my Dad says.

"EVERYONE is trying to find a job, Dad. No one thinks 'Man, I can sit on my rear end feeling unproductive and useless making one half or less of what I made when I had an employer, what a way to live!!!'"

I worked for a company of 65 people. They laid off seven people. At 10 months I was the first one to find a job. One year anniversary is a few days off, they're all still looking. loving welfare queens.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Okay, my wife called out of work sick tonight. The girl who came in to work for her is now spamming Facebook with the most atrocious Yes on Amendment 26 poo poo ever. I'm severely tempted to reply, but then my wife is too sick to come in if she gets pissed off and leaves.

Fortunately, her friends all seem to think she's out of her mind. She posted a bunch of insane crap without any sources, and there were about 30 replies of "That's not true, what's your source?" and "Holy poo poo, what? Here, here's the actual data." And then a flood of people asking her to explain the dozen inconsistencies in her position. She was silent for a good 20 minutes, and then responded with a link to "Bible.org" and the Constitution and said "Have I made my point, or shall I keep going?"

Edit:

quote:

I put god on my side because god said so in the Bible every question you ever have is clarified scripture. Read the the Bible. I can give you hundreds of scriptures that speak specifically on the subject of the Bible. If you don't believe me, go to Google type in the search bar the Bible and abortion and hundreds of scriptures will pop up. And in screwing with peoples lifes I am guessing you don't count dismissing the chance to have life. I guess that doesn't count as screwing with others lives. Yeah that makes sense.
[Deleted], abortions are just as much money, in the long run, as going through with a pregnancy and giving the baby up for adoption is. And in extreme cases as you are depicting, there are clinics and organizations that help support a pregnant underprivleged woman.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

ascii genitals posted:

What is it about the Republicans spouting talking points against OWS that they always mention public defecation. And nine times out of ten will use the word "feckless" to describe the protesters.

Dehumanizing people helps them rationalize their vitriol towards them.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Average abortion cost: $500

Average childbirth cost (not including prenatal care): $8800

I mean they are practically the same cost.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Sarion posted:

Average abortion cost: $500 + your immortal soul

Average childbirth cost (not including prenatal care): $8800 + a place in paradise for all eternity

I mean they are practically the same cost.

Fixed that for you.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
The part that I love is that the Bible clearly does not consider children to be full humans. Children are property of their father. That's it, and it's plain and simple in the Bible. This nonsense about life beginning at conception is a complete fabrication in the Christian world. Thou shalt not kill does not apply to children, and it doesn't apply to people not of the tribe. God makes this very clear at many points in the Old Testament.

So when she says to read the Bible...which part is she talking about? The parts that I read in loving church and Sunday school make it pretty clear that God's pretty cool with abortion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Unfortunately she's right, if you do a google search you'll find thousands of people who have twisted out of context passages together into a message that condemns abortion. A biblical argument will get lost really quickly because the bible can say anything anyone wants it to say. It's helpful like that.

I would prefer some variant of the argument "your religion can get hosed" but honestly the cognitive dissonance is so entrenched in people who actually pay attention to scripture I dunno what you could say.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Unfortunately she's right, if you do a google search you'll find thousands of people who have twisted out of context passages together into a message that condemns abortion. A biblical argument will get lost really quickly because the bible can say anything anyone wants it to say. It's helpful like that.

I would prefer some variant of the argument "your religion can get hosed" but honestly the cognitive dissonance is so entrenched in people who actually pay attention to scripture I dunno what you could say.

I love that "Hundreds of people interpretting 2 verses" is "hundreds of verses." I'd love to see her list those verses. I wonder if she'd get past 10. I wonder if she can find more verses from the bible condemning abortion than I can find verses saying that she, as a woman, shouldn't be talking in a room full of men.

And a drama aside, someone threw down the gauntlet and basically said "I find it hilarious that you talk about how evil pre-marital sex is and condemn contraceptives and say that women who do that are slutty, when you cheated on your last boyfriend."

The only moral abortion...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

ErIog posted:

The part that I love is that the Bible clearly does not consider children to be full humans. Children are property of their father. That's it, and it's plain and simple in the Bible. This nonsense about life beginning at conception is a complete fabrication in the Christian world. Thou shalt not kill does not apply to children, and it doesn't apply to people not of the tribe. God makes this very clear at many points in the Old Testament.

So when she says to read the Bible...which part is she talking about? The parts that I read in loving church and Sunday school make it pretty clear that God's pretty cool with abortion.

None of the old testament matters except when they're using it to go after homosexuality or something similar when it makes them look wrong.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I like how the punishment for forcing an abortion on another man's wife AGAINST HER WILL is a monetary payment to the father. This is the only part of the bible to directly address abortion. Yeah, real strong pro-life position in the Bible.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

XyloJW posted:

Okay, my wife called out of work sick tonight. The girl who came in to work for her is now spamming Facebook with the most atrocious Yes on Amendment 26 poo poo ever. I'm severely tempted to reply, but then my wife is too sick to come in if she gets pissed off and leaves.

Fortunately, her friends all seem to think she's out of her mind. She posted a bunch of insane crap without any sources, and there were about 30 replies of "That's not true, what's your source?" and "Holy poo poo, what? Here, here's the actual data." And then a flood of people asking her to explain the dozen inconsistencies in her position. She was silent for a good 20 minutes, and then responded with a link to "Bible.org" and the Constitution and said "Have I made my point, or shall I keep going?"

Edit:

Wait, where does God say in the Bible that the Bible contains an answer to every question?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Not an email, but a leaflet passed out by bankers to the protesters at Occupy Chicago. It's a mass distibuted text thingy, so I'm just going to say it counts for this thread.

An utter rear end in a top hat posted:

We are Wall Street. It’s our job to make money. Whether it’s a commodity, stock, bond, or some hypothetical piece of fake paper, it doesn’t matter. We would trade baseball cards if it were profitable. I didn’t hear America complaining when the market was roaring to 14,000 and everyone’s 401k doubled every 3 years. Just like gambling, its not a problem until you lose. I’ve never heard of anyone going to Gamblers Anonymous because they won too much in Vegas.

Well now the market crapped out, & even though it has come back somewhat, the government and the average Joes are still looking for a scapegoat. God knows there has to be one for everything. Well, here we are.

Go ahead and continue to take us down, but you’re only going to hurt yourselves. What’s going to happen when we can’t find jobs on the Street anymore? Guess what: We’re going to take yours. We get up at 5am & work until 10pm or later. We’re used to not getting up to pee when we have a position. We don’t take an hour or more for a lunch break. We don’t demand a union. We don’t retire at 50 with a pension. We eat what we kill, and when the only thing left to eat is on your dinner plates, we’ll eat that.

For years teachers and other unionized labor have had us fooled. We were too busy working to notice. Do you really think that we are incapable of teaching 3rd graders and doing landscaping? We’re going to take your cushy jobs with tenure and 4 months off a year and whine just like you that we are so-o-o-o underpaid for building the youth of America. Say goodbye to your overtime, and double time and a half. I’ll be hitting grounders to the high school baseball team for $5k extra a summer, thank you very much.

So now that we’re going to be making $85k a year without upside, Joe Mainstreet is going to have his revenge, right? Wrong! Guess what: we’re going to stop buying the new 80k car, we aren’t going to leave the 35 percent tip at our business dinners anymore. No more free rides on our backs. We’re going to landscape our own back yards, wash our cars with a garden hose in our driveways. Our money was your money. You spent it. When our money dries up, so does yours.

The difference is, you lived off of it, we rejoiced in it. The Obama administration and the Democratic National Committee might get their way and knock us off the top of the pyramid, but it’s really going to hurt like hell for them when our fat a**es land directly on the middle class of America and knock them to the bottom.

We aren’t dinosaurs. We are smarter and more vicious than that, and we are going to survive. The question is, now that Obama & his administration are making Joe Mainstreet our food supply…will he? and will they?”

Edit: Whoops, I copied it from a site that didn't have the whole thing, where it starts ripping on teachers. Link and a picture

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 2, 2011

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dr Christmas posted:

Not an email, but a leaflet passed out by bankers to the protesters at Occupy Chicago. It's a mass distibuted text thingy, so I'm just going to say it counts for this thread.
A 7th grade class in an inner-city school would eat these smugdogs alive.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Dr Christmas posted:

I'd love to see some financial fuckwad last two weeks in the lab I work in.

Edit: Actually, they'd probably be okay because I'm really nice and train everyone pretty rigorously despite their previous experience in science :(

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Sarion posted:

This site is like dozens of these emails all put together: http://the53.tumblr.com/

quote:

[things that never happened]

This guy blows my mind. His entire life could have been a thousand times better under more liberal policies. There is no reason for anyone to owe $230,000 in medical bills, ever. The people who benefit from his hard work sit on top of trillions of dollars, and he thinks its totally reasonable to pay several years of his salary just for chemotherapy. Chemotherapy that was not created by private drug companies, but by government research.

Also, over 33% of his income taken by taxes? There's no reason for a married couple making $90K to pay more than 9% of their income in Federal Income Taxes. That assumes only standard exemptions and deductions. Even with FICA and State Income taxes it wouldn't come close to exceeding 33%. I can understand people being confused by various political issues. But people should at least have a good handle of their own personal situation.
See the explanation above.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Dr Christmas posted:

Give me 2 hours with these dumbshits on a farm and I'll have them crying.

Or dead, that happens too. Dismembered is more common though.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

ApathyGifted posted:

Give me 2 hours with these dumbshits on a farm and I'll have them crying.

Or dead, that happens too. Dismembered is more common though.

I get where you're coming from, but why's it gotta be manual labor? These fucktards couldn't last two hours doing customer service at a Starbucks during morning rush. I don't know anyone on Wall Street who could be polite enough to a table of four to actually make a 15% tip at the end of the meal.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I like how the punishment for forcing an abortion on another man's wife AGAINST HER WILL is a monetary payment to the father. This is the only part of the bible to directly address abortion. Yeah, real strong pro-life position in the Bible.
See also: this...
http://www.evilbible.com/god%27s%20not%20pro-life.htm

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Hehe if one of those Gordon Gecko wannabes saw the control panel of a CNC lathe he wouldn't know what do do but yell "buy! sell! buy!" at the numbers

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Dr Christmas posted:

Edit: Whoops, I copied it from a site that didn't have the whole thing, where it starts ripping on teachers. Link and a picture

This dumb bullshit has been circulating in email form for a couple of years, i'm not surprised to see it show up in this context.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Kosmonaut posted:

Hehe if one of those Gordon Gecko wannabes saw the control panel of a CNC lathe he wouldn't know what do do but yell "buy! sell! buy!" at the numbers

Speaking of Gordon

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/7e55442a-c76a-11df-aeb1-00144feab49a.html#axzz1cVVv3PWq

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

XyloJW posted:

I love that "Hundreds of people interpretting 2 verses" is "hundreds of verses." I'd love to see her list those verses. I wonder if she'd get past 10. I wonder if she can find more verses from the bible condemning abortion than I can find verses saying that she, as a woman, shouldn't be talking in a room full of men.

Just meant that arguing biblical passages is a waste of time, no matter how right you are. Unless the person you're talking to is like a serious biblical scholar who will accept facts in front of their nose. Otherwise, you'll just end up going in circles until they hate you.

XyloJW posted:

And a drama aside, someone threw down the gauntlet and basically said "I find it hilarious that you talk about how evil pre-marital sex is and condemn contraceptives and say that women who do that are slutty, when you cheated on your last boyfriend."

:drat:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

XyloJW posted:

We nee follow up to this.

I'm actually kind of jealous, I wish I had people who posted ridiculous things on my friends list just for a good laugh or argument, but the worst it's ever got on mine is the standard "Drug test welfare recipients." which actually created a great near nonsensical babbling when I called someone out on their capacious amount of weed smoking during college and asked if they should've been drug tested before getting their PELL grant and federal loans.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

Amused to Death posted:

We nee follow up to this.

I'm actually kind of jealous, I wish I had people who posted ridiculous things on my friends list just for a good laugh or argument, but the worst it's ever got on mine is the standard "Drug test welfare recipients." which actually created a great near nonsensical babbling when I called someone out on their capacious amount of weed smoking during college and asked if they should've been drug tested before getting their PELL grant and federal loans.

Dude, the only like moral drugs are mine, yeah?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

quote:

Just like gambling, its not a problem until you lose. I’ve never heard of anyone going to Gamblers Anonymous because they won too much in Vegas.

Well now the market crapped out, & even though it has come back somewhat, the government and the average Joes are still looking for a scapegoat.
I don't think this guy understands the implication of his own metaphor. I guess add "professional poet" to the list of jobs he couldn't handle.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Kosmonaut posted:

Um, it's obvious to anybody with a brain that working in the financial sector of the economy gives you the expertise needed to work in every other field there is better than the people that actually do the jobs currently.

Thenipwax fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 2, 2011

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
If scientists are so smart, why aren't they investment bankers? :smug:

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

I mean I for one am pretty intimidated that they plan to take my job so that they can work EIGHT TO loving SEVEN and LEAVE NO TIPS at the lunch that they WORK RIGHT THROUGH to leave them more time to spend staring at a screen wondering what the gently caress is going on

My boss would be ecstatic. "Well, he may produce nothing, but at least he's on the clock all day doing it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

It has nothing to do with the stock market. And it was a problem even when the stock market was at 14000. (And wouldn't a real investment banker say "Dow Jones or DJI" instead of just the generic "stock market"?) The problem started around the 80's, its just taken until now for the pot to boil over.