Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

frumpsnake posted:

It's definitely an upgrade, but it's not great given the amount of 16mm footage and what appears to be an older scan.

http://www.hundland.org/hd/k/k.htm#koyaanisqatsi

They're still using the 16:9 crop? I really hope the Criterion rumors are true...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What's the story on this film? It was presented 16:9 in theaters, but there's a 4:3 open matte?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Basically yes, but not only is the open-matte version considered to have better framing, but "Director's Premium Edition" DVDs were released using the open-matte transfer and each personally signed by the director, so you'd presume it has his blessing as well.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/koyaanisqatsi.htm

The only shot I could find to match is from what appears to be a pirate 720p re-encode, but it demonstrates the jump over the open-matte DVD, which is already miles ahead of the MGM.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You think the Trek prices are bad now, when they were first released on DVD the MSRPs were well over $100 per season- and this continued until well after other TV shows were having complete seasons for $60 or lower. Paramount was late to the DVD game in general and has lagged a little ever since. At least now there's an excuse.

(On a similar note, whoever controls the rights to The Avengers- the British series not the Marvel thingy- has apparently been screwing up since time immemorial. The Emma Peel Megaset was well received, but it was still way too huge for 51 episodes, and since then they've all gone out of print. No sign of a Blu-Ray release, you can't find them on streaming anywhere, etc. I know the stars had really good contracts but it can't be that expensive to release it somehow.)

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Just watched Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics On Demand. While it's a decent documentary, I was somewhat bothered by the fact that WB apparently has gorgeous HD masters of the Fleischer Superman cartoons and the Linda Carter Wonder Woman series, yet DVDs are all we've been given. Hell, even the documentary itself isn't available on Blu.

You don't want to know how much I'll pay for HD Superman cartoons, WB. Take my money :(

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Hatter106 posted:

Just watched Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics On Demand. While it's a decent documentary, I was somewhat bothered by the fact that WB apparently has gorgeous HD masters of the Fleischer Superman cartoons and the Linda Carter Wonder Woman series, yet DVDs are all we've been given. Hell, even the documentary itself isn't available on Blu.

You don't want to know how much I'll pay for HD Superman cartoons, WB. Take my money :(

Aren't the cartoons in high def in the Superman Anthology?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hatter106 posted:

Normally I'd be inclined to think that they're not doing it because it's a niche market thing. But this is loving Superman, it practically sells itself.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Island Nation posted:

Aren't the cartoons in high def in the Superman Anthology?

Can someone who has this set confirm?
I know that the trend with a lot of BD box sets is to have all special features on DVD rather than BD... Even with the Alien Anthology, the special features were on BD discs but still only standard-def.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hatter106 posted:

I don't have it but I've read reviews and from everything I've seen, the cartoons are in SD.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hatter106 posted:

I know that the trend with a lot of BD box sets is to have all special features on DVD rather than BD... Even with the Alien Anthology, the special features were on BD discs but still only standard-def.

I have the set and they are on BD but they are definitely in SD. But they're the best SD copies I've seen of them. I love the Fleischer Superman cartoons. In my opinion they're among the best animation ever produced. And if it's possible to have them HD then they drat well should be released in HD.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Deadpool posted:

I have the set and they are on BD but they are definitely in SD.

I'll go sit in the corner now. Sorry

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The dumb part is that Warner remastered the cartoons in HD with the same processes as the color Looney tunes. I guess they didn't want to take up as much disc space or holding over for a Blu set.

By the way, The Artist has been re-scheduled for June 26th in Region A.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

The dumb part is that Warner remastered the cartoons in HD with the same processes as the color Looney tunes. I guess they didn't want to take up as much disc space or holding over for a Blu set.

Actually, Warner has a history of holding back extras mastered in HD. They did the same thing with the Blade Runner boxset (which if I remember right, they chose to do so they could double dip in the future)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The Turin Horse in mid-July. :toot:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Actually, Warner has a history of holding back extras mastered in HD. They did the same thing with the Blade Runner boxset (which if I remember right, they chose to do so they could double dip in the future)

Really? So that's why the extra discs are all just DVDs. It's a loving crime that the Dangerous Days doc is not in HD. You suck balls Warner.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ApexAftermath posted:

Really? So that's why the extra discs are all just DVDs. It's a loving crime that the Dangerous Days doc is not in HD. You suck balls Warner.

I could have sworn that is what I read (jesus christ) five years ago but trying to find it now, here's the "official" reason from Warner.

quote:

Okay... we've got a little bit more news for you, starting with some follow-up on the high-def versions of Blade Runner. We've confirmed with Warner that both the Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD editions will feature ALL FIVE VERSIONS of the film in actual 1080p video, but the extras (the documentary, deleted scenes, etc) will all be in standard definition. The reason for this has nothing to do with disc space on either format, but rather timing. Work is still ongoing on some of the extras (it's a big job as you can imagine from the list of specs). Given that, I'm told that even if high-def compression were to start today on the all the extras, there'd be no way to get the high-def versions of the set completed in time to street this year, which is the film's anniversary. That said, even though the extras will be standard def, they're going to be compressed at a very high bitrate and, with upscaling, they should look plenty good. So that's that.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa140.html

What I remember reading from a different site was something to the extent that they produced all the extras in HD but held back on releasing them, at the time, so they would have something to upgrade for future releases. An incentive for buyers to double dip.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 10, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
DVDBeaver posted his review of A Trip To The Moon - Looks amazing.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews56/a_trip_to_the_moon_blu-ray.htm

Amazon dropped their price $6 down to $29.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006XEH7EO

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Sporadic posted:

Seems like an astonishing restoration but if that review is true - that you can't listen to the traditional musical score on the colorized version - than that's a very odd decision.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 10, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kuddles posted:

Seems like an astonishing restoration but if that review is true - that you can't listen to the traditional musical score on the colorized version - than that's a very odd decision.

They were forced into it. When Flicker Alley licensed it from Lobster Films, one of the terms were they could only include the AIR soundtrack with the colorized version.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sporadic posted:

Amazon dropped their price $6 down to $29.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006XEH7EO

I ordered this at $35.99 from Amazon and it's "shipping soon." Should I cancel the order and reorder, or is it easier to get a price difference refund from Amazon?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

caiman posted:

I ordered this at $35.99 from Amazon and it's "shipping soon." Should I cancel the order and reorder, or is it easier to get a price difference refund from Amazon?

If you contact Amazon and tell them what happened, they should give you a "one time" price adjustment with no real hassle.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Didn't see this posted yet... a sexy 8+ minute piece of the restoration of Jaws for the upcoming Blu-ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hLWvXaeDzwU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

Didn't see this posted yet... a sexy 8+ minute piece of the restoration of Jaws for the upcoming Blu-ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hLWvXaeDzwU

Universal seems to be doing better when they're remastering from scratch like All Quiet on the Western Front, To Kill a Mockingbird, and this. Their weakness seems to be using older transfers and running through HTV/Illuminate's crap DVNR system.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The fact that there's no Blu Ray release of Browning's Freaks and I can't find any news that would lead me to believe one is in the pipeline is a crime.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Geekboy posted:

The fact that there's no Blu Ray release of Browning's Freaks and I can't find any news that would lead me to believe one is in the pipeline is a crime.

You can actually watch that in HD on Amazon if you have Prime and a device you can use to access it on your TV.

Looks like Warner has the rights to it.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 11, 2012

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Freaks isn't going to be a huge upgrade. The 35mm elements that exist are spotty - it's not a film like Mutiny on the Bounty '35 with a camera negative ready to transfer in 4K. The DVD seemed to be from a duplicate negative, with sections taken from prints. The eventual Blu-Ray would just allow for the usual benefits - extra resolution, better compression, and wider grayscale. For that matter, it would make more sense to release a Blu set with a few Tod Browning films since you could fit Freaks, Mark of the Vampire, and The Devil Doll on one BD-50 with room to spare for extras.

I kind of wish titles not even released on DVD like The Big Parade and Greed got Blu-Ray editions first.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 11, 2012

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Really really excited about the Criterion of Hollis Frampton films - the only time I've seen Zorn's Lemma was a really bad (though I guess authentic seeming) 16 mm print and I've never seen a lot of the earlier stuff. Super pumped!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So Shame is listed at $29.99 (list price of $39.99) on Amazon, and I'm sure it's because of the included DVD and "digital copy". This is such bullshit. What's wrong with a separate DVD release? If you have a BD player, you don't need the DVD, and if you only have a DVD player, you don't need the BD. Ridiculous. And don't get me started on the digital copy crap.

Why do studios feel it's okay to charge a premium price for superfluous crap?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Scott Pilgrim and Big Trouble In Little China are only $7.99 each on Amazon

Scott Pilgrim = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0043GAZYS
Big Trouble In Little China = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0028ZDJF8

caiman posted:

So Shame is listed at $29.99 (list price of $39.99) on Amazon, and I'm sure it's because of the included DVD and "digital copy". This is such bullshit. What's wrong with a separate DVD release? If you have a BD player, you don't need the DVD, and if you only have a DVD player, you don't need the BD. Ridiculous. And don't get me started on the digital copy crap.

Give it some time.

I think the high price is more due to the fact that it's Fox Searchlight title than anything else. The arthouse type wings of studios always demand a higher price when the Blu-Ray comes out.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Sporadic posted:

I think the high price is more due to the fact that it's Fox Searchlight title than anything else. The arthouse type wings of studios always demand a higher price when the Blu-Ray comes out.
Yeah, it's this. Stuff like Take Shelter and Mary Marcy May Marlene were just as high at release. Most blu-rays actually have a MSRP of around $30 and then a lot of titles automatically have a much lower price because retailers promise to order a high volume. It's not a case of studios adding extra copies to raise the price, it's just a "oh god here's every version please invest in blurays and also don't pirate" reaction.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

caiman posted:

There are plenty of titles with DVD and digital copy (and Blu-ray 3D and UltraViolet and etc.) that are more reasonably priced, and there are plenty of BD-only, single disc releases that are as much or more than Shame. People routinely like to complain about things like DVD/digital copies for adding expense, but really any such expense is amortized over a studio's entire line and price points are routinely set based on the marketability of the film.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Any film noir fans here got any recommendations for beautiful blu-rays?

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Lizard Combatant posted:

Criterion's got a gorgeous Kiss Me Deadly... Double Indemnity's getting a new region 2 Masters of Cinema release in June (probably gonna be region-locked, tho), and Kino's got a "best available elements" transfer of Scarlet Street (first time it's ever been from a decent print, I believe) on Blu and DVD. Maltese Falcon has been out for a couple of years and has a great transfer too.

If you can get a hold of the OOP Criterion Third Man, that's preferable to the weaker transfer on the Lionsgate. And I'm sure the noir historians around here can do a better job recommending stuff than I can. :eng101:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Shadley Puffin posted:

Criterion's got a gorgeous Kiss Me Deadly... Double Indemnity's getting a new region 2 Masters of Cinema release in June (probably gonna be region-locked, tho), and Kino's got a "best available elements" transfer of Scarlet Street (first time it's ever been from a decent print, I believe) on Blu and DVD. Maltese Falcon has been out for a couple of years and has a great transfer too.

If you can get a hold of the OOP Criterion Third Man, that's preferable to the weaker transfer on the Lionsgate. And I'm sure the noir historians around here can do a better job recommending stuff than I can. :eng101:

Thanks, I'll have to check these out :)

Looks like I'll have to wait for a lot of the classics though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Lizard Combatant posted:

In addition to Shadley's recs:

The Killing/Killer's Kiss
The Night of the Hunter
Notorious
Sweet Smell of Success

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

FitFortDanga posted:

In addition to Shadley's recs:

The Killing/Killer's Kiss
The Night of the Hunter
Notorious
Sweet Smell of Success

Cheers. And I've been meaning to see The Killing too, nice.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Stranger is also in a bluray/dvd combo package but I wouldn't exactly call it 'beautiful' like the Criterion releases.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

friendo55 posted:

The Stranger is also in a bluray/dvd combo package but I wouldn't exactly call it 'beautiful' like the Criterion releases.

I'd wait for the eventual MGM/Fox Blu or Criterion. Their HD transfer is on Netflix and it looks fantastic. The Film Chest Blu isn't terrible, but they just took a 35mm print and ran it through a softening filter. Instead of going through Predator-level DVNR, it simply looks out of focus.

For that matter, I'll third Criterion's The Killing, Sweet Smell of Success, and The Night of the Hunter. All 2K/4K transfers off the camera negatives and original magnetic audio masters.

Notorious could have used some dirt/scratch cleanup, but it's gorgeous. It looks like it's from Disney's 1990s restoration from the camera negative.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Today I received my Blu-ray of A Trip to the Moon. For those who haven't seen the new restoration, you're in for a treat. It's really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Tom Cruise Collection (Collateral/Days of Thunder/Minority Report/Top Gun/War of the Worlds) dropped down to $25 on Amazon. Great price if you were looking for all those movies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005JZBP9G

• Locked thread