Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Has Nate Silver done anything interesting or worthwhile since the election? The only thing I ever saw people talking about was making fun of his burrito disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nope. They also got into hot water for having a climate change denier write for their site right after launch, right?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

davecrazy posted:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/26/bill-simmons-suspension-part-of-larger-issues-at-the-network-that-could-lead-to-him-leaving-espn/

Shame 538 is struggling, but I don't know anybody who reads it regularly.

Will Simmons be happy going off on his own after ESPN does their best to blackball him from the NBA?

They're giving him his own NBA show, so I'm not sure how they're blackballing him

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

morestuff posted:

They're giving him his own NBA show, so I'm not sure how they're blackballing him

You think that if Simmons leaves ESPN after his contract runs out ESPN wont do everything in their power to leverage the NBA into loving with his ability to cover the NBA?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ElwoodCuse posted:

Has Nate Silver done anything interesting or worthwhile since the election? The only thing I ever saw people talking about was making fun of his burrito disaster.

He spends most of his time on Twitter tearing down Sam Wang's election forecasts. It's pretty catty.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

davecrazy posted:

You think that if Simmons leaves ESPN after his contract runs out ESPN wont do everything in their power to leverage the NBA into loving with his ability to cover the NBA?

I misunderstood what you were saying, though other than maybe video access I'm not sure what they could do.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

davecrazy posted:

The new NBA contract is going to be incredibly sought after. TNT, NBC wants back in (ROUNDBALL ROCK), ESPN won't have a lot of room to make demands. I expect Simmons and ESPN will split and I don't know why a large corporation like ESPN would waste energy alienating the cross-section of fans that will follow ESPN and Simmons.

I don't know why you'd throw in the towel for 538 before the next election though.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

ElwoodCuse posted:

He's about to be really important, Silver wasn't just hired for Espn, he will be doing election stuff for ABC News as well, a huge amount of traffic will get redirected to his website as a result of election coverage.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

The new NBA contract is going to be incredibly sought after. TNT, NBC wants back in (ROUNDBALL ROCK), ESPN won't have a lot of room to make demands. I expect Simmons and ESPN will split and I don't know why a large corporation like ESPN would waste energy alienating the cross-section of fans that will follow ESPN and Simmons.

I don't know why you'd throw in the towel for 538 before the next election though.

If NBC sports could get basketball again I could see them make a play for simmons (that simmons would probably take)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ElwoodCuse posted:

Nope. He's becoming the poster child of "stay in your lane."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The new 538 is awful but yeah no reason to dump it before the election

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This was brought up in the discussion of the Shane Morris concussion: how much longer do we need to go before we stop putting "-gate" on the end of every controversy?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's going to keep happening until people realize it wasn't called the Watergategate Hotel

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

The new 538 is awful but yeah no reason to dump it before the election

538's a victim of the election cycle in that interest will be at it's highest during a presidential election, with the next peak coming up during these elections and far less appealing during the down times. They're attempt to get into sports and other potpourri poo poo was trying to expand the brand but people aren't buying it yet and the burrito poo poo was an expensive mistake. Odds are it'll slim down after the election and cut staff with a refocus towards the serious issues.

As for Simmons, I still think Turner would grab him in a heartbeat if he leaves ESPN, possibly going in on a solo Grantland. What Dan Patrick has done since leaving ESPN is the mold, with his podcast/website in place of Patrick's radio show and working on Inside the NBA for SNF. Not to go full Rovell, but Simmons' brand isn't strong enough to survive on his own and he'll need someone's help to stand on his own feet.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Simmons is not going to leave ESPN. A lot of the stuff that he does now is behind the scenes, like 30 for 30 and editor of grantland. TNT NBA stuff and his own column elsewhere would likely involve a lot more work on his part and lower salary.

As for 538, their stuff outside of elections is either bland, bad, or a mix of the two. One example I remember was something that had a very scary title ("are sunscreens poison?" or something like that), which was both bad and bland (answer: "no"). Their general approach of using a ton of data to make small day to day adjustments to predictions only really attract people during elections, and is easily copied. Nate Silver's own genius was never related to stats or political knowledge (what he does is actually bad from a practitioner or theorist point of view, where model parsimony is more important), but to the coverage of the state of the horse race with an empirical focus. Outside of that, and outside of election season, their coverage is basically very simplistic social science reporting that most people they could appeal to are already aware of.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 1, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think he'd be reluctant to give up stuff like Grantland and 30 for 30, but I seriously doubt he'd lose money by leaving. Someone else would absolutely give him a gigantic salary. Y'all are seriously underestimating how popular Simmons is. There isn't another sportswriter who is even close.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I think he'd be reluctant to give up stuff like Grantland and 30 for 30, but I seriously doubt he'd lose money by leaving. Someone else would absolutely give him a gigantic salary. Y'all are seriously underestimating how popular Simmons is. There isn't another sportswriter who is even close.

If Turner wanted him he could probably just have a de facto Grantland at Bleacher Report.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

MourningView posted:

My point wasn't about popularity. But Turner is not going to pay him the same thing for him to participate in their NBA coverage as ESPN pays him for that, plus grantland, podcasts, 30 for 30, column, etc. Precisely because he is so popular it makes it very hard for him to land anywhere else that doesn't have the same multiple platforms available. Especially given who has NBA rights for the foreseeable future.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thinking out loud here, what about NBC taking a run at him if they can get the NBA back and maybe use him to keep growing NBCSN?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Turner paid $200 million for Bleacher Report. They'd throw him some money to be their featured columnist in a heartbeat.

I still think it'd be highly unlikely that he leaves ESPN. It's just too good of a fit for both sides. If he did leave, I think he'd start his own site with some VC money. I know Nate Silver had a ton of investors on the table and I'm guessing Simmons would be in an even better position.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

DJExile posted:

Thinking out loud here, what about NBC taking a run at him if they can get the NBA back and maybe use him to keep growing NBCSN?

If the contract renewal rumors are true, ESPN and TNT will have the NBA rights until about 2024 at least.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I still think it'd be highly unlikely that he leaves ESPN. It's just too good of a fit for both sides.

I'd agree, but it's sometimes hard to tell how real Simmons' Masshole shtick is.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

This might be a stupid question but is Grantland affiliated with ESPN at all or is it a separate entity? I figured it was separate but they do use Jalen Rose, who I think is an ESPN employee, right?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BIZORT posted:

This might be a stupid question but is Grantland affiliated with ESPN at all or is it a separate entity? I figured it was separate but they do use Jalen Rose, who I think is an ESPN employee, right?

Owned by ESPN.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

joepinetree posted:

If the contract renewal rumors are true, ESPN and TNT will have the NBA rights until about 2024 at least.

damnit.

I'm thinking the best option is for either NBC or CBS to get the broadcast rights over everyone else at this point.

Been praying for that to happen for quite some time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Eric Shanks would have a loving army of Brinks trucks outside of Simmons' house the literal second he was legally allowed to make an offer.

FOX Sports being based out of LA also offers as seamless a transition as possible for Simmons.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I genuinely want NBC to get it just so I can hear Roundball Rock more often. That is literally the only reason.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My basketball games should have Inside the NBA, Roundball Rock, or both.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

I genuinely want NBC to get it just so I can hear Roundball Rock more often. That is literally the only reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZKX-cf_p90

I had heard some credible rumors that NBC was going to come in hard as soon as the negotiating window was open, but it looks like now the deal might be signed with ESPN/ABC and Turner before that happens. That's too bad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZKX-cf_p90

I had heard some credible rumors that NBC was going to come in hard as soon as the negotiating window was open, but it looks like now the deal might be signed with ESPN/ABC and Turner before that happens. That's too bad.

I don't know, ESPN and TNT both do pretty solid jobs, and another package would just dilute the value of League Pass even more.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

morestuff posted:

I don't know, ESPN and TNT both do pretty solid jobs

Yeah their NBA coverage is pretty solid, I guess I'm just curious to see NBCSN get a crack at another major sports league because they've done a great job so far with the NHL and EPL.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

morestuff posted:

If Turner wanted him he could probably just have a de facto Grantland at Bleacher Report.

Considering how pissy Simmons has been towards BR in the past that would be hilarious.

I do think one of ESPN's rivals would definitely pay Simmons more to jump ship, but none of them have the same level of penetration the Worldwide Leader has, NBCSN, and FS1 are both serious also rans at the moment.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

morestuff posted:

I don't know, ESPN and TNT both do pretty solid jobs, and another package would just dilute the value of League Pass even more.

Just anything to get me away from the Breen/Van Gundy/Jackson "A" Team from hell. I tuned into watch a basketball game, not some really bad podcast.

Amazing how they went from having guys like Mike "The Tsar of the Telestrator" Fratello, and Bill Walton to...yeah...that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BR sucks but they'd at least be able to market his stuff during games on TNT and I'm guessing even NBA TV. They also would link his articles off CNN.com and maybe even get him on the network for big sports stories. That's a much better spot for him than FS1 or NBCSN.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FuzzySkinner posted:

Just anything to get me away from the Breen/Van Gundy/Jackson "A" Team from hell. I tuned into watch a basketball game, not some really bad podcast.

Amazing how they went from having guys like Mike "The Tsar of the Telestrator" Fratello, and Bill Walton to...yeah...that.

Agreed, I loving hate the ESPN and ABC broadcasts

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Niwrad posted:

BR sucks but they'd at least be able to market his stuff during games on TNT and I'm guessing even NBA TV. They also would link his articles off CNN.com and maybe even get him on the network for big sports stories. That's a much better spot for him than FS1 or NBCSN.

NBCSN cant pay surprising amounts of money and because he is an online personality primarily I would be surprised to see a broadcast noncompete with any real length in his contract. Which means NBC is in play which means the Olympics are in play.

NBC could do a lot with simmons and the olympics and getting offered the NBCU megaphone during the olympics could be something simmons would jump at.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The burrito thing on 538 was bizarre and insane to think they were flying people across the country to try burritos.

Also their review methodology was weird.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

NBCSN doesn't know what they are doing and has practically no online presence. His podcast with Michelle Beadle actually mentioned that and how clueless NBC was. Has anyone left ESPN for these burgeoning platforms and been successful? I know there was talk of FS1 and NBCSN being competition for ESPN someday, but they're embarrassing at this point and would be a place he'd go to have his career die.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Niwrad posted:

NBCSN doesn't know what they are doing and has practically no online presence.

They have Posnanski, and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For a relatively new network, NBCSN getting US rights to the NHL and Premier League was a big help to get them off the ground and their coverage there has been very good. Outside of that though, their regular programming is nothing to write home about yet, although Dan Patrick's show is pretty good.

FS1 has... hell, I think one college football game a week, maybe 2. I think they are going to have some of MLB's playoff games though so that should give them some decent exposure but they're still really left wanting in terms of both regular programming and live events.