Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's really no reason to replace the cart unless you specifically want to spend money. A lot of Shure cartridge bodies will take replacement styli meant for other models (since a lot of the bodies are only cosmetically different) but there should be plenty available for your cart specifically (at around 20-25€) though probably after-market ones. The M95ED is supposedly not a bad pick-up at all - I don't have one myself but I've used a lot of old ('70s) Shures with new needles without problems.

Just put 'shure m95ed stylus' in Google and you'll probably find what you need.

e: The regular stylus should be OK but you can also get fancier ones like the M95HE (hyper elliptical) if you like.

This is what I ended up doing. I just received a really cheap stylus off ebay and it sounds fine to me. Also it turns out that the original stylus wasn't broken at all until I took it apart. I just wasn't used to the ultra-light tracking force that magnetic cartridges apparently require. This turntable is missing its counterweight so I just put some nuts and washers on the end to match the force of my other, cheaper turntables' tonearms, but those all have stiff styluses that can support a lot more pressure. I've got about the right weight on there now but someday I'll have to get a digital scale and set it to what it should be.

Oh well, I'm sure that old stylus could have used replacing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Here's another one that I was particularly pleased with ...

I actually bought this from Kawabata Makoto himself at a little venue in Brighton (the guy with the mad hair on the front cover).

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Acid Mothers Temple are great.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yamantaka//Sonic Titan - YT/ST is getting a re-issue on white vinyl.

Get it, because it's amazing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Do any of you folks know anything about the 2009 New Order reissues from Rhino?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
They exist.

e: apparently Rhino reissues in general are a bit of a mixed bag. Are the originals rare? If not, just get those.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 15, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

They exist.

e: apparently Rhino reissues in general are a bit of a mixed bag. Are the originals rare? If not, just get those.

I just want a copy of Movement, which is something I never come across. I'm way ahead of you on Rhino. I have a bunch of them that sound great, but I only bought them because they have all that "Remastered from the original analog tapes!" stuff going on. I haven't seen anything like that in reference to the Movement reissue, so I just wanted to know if my suspicions were correct about it being digitally sourced.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I bought this record because of this thread. Thought the album art was cool and decided to give it a listen. One of the best suggestion purchases I've ever made.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

The description of it sounds great ... does anyone know where I can pick one up in the UK?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Good news everyone! Looks like the Trouble Will Find Me box set will eventually be shipped.

4AD posted:

As you've heard, due to the complex packaging of the box set production has been taking a bit longer than expected. The pressing plant has just informed us they will start shipping to our offices sometime this week and we will be packing them up and sending them out as soon as they arrive.

wshngmchn
Jul 14, 2013

wrath pride ignorance

landofcake posted:

Here's another one that I was particularly pleased with ...

I actually bought this from Kawabata Makoto himself at a little venue in Brighton (the guy with the mad hair on the front cover).

That's fantastic. I rarely listen to them ("Eat a Pebble" on occasion, maybe Cosmic Shepard for some background noise), but getting my hands on any of their albums is immensely satisfying. Their aesthetic is impeccable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cloks posted:

Good news everyone! Looks like the Trouble Will Find Me box set will eventually be shipped.

This is totally thanks to that email I sent them last week. Definitely. :smug:

Here's hoping the brutal midsummer heat doesn't ruin anybody's after all that wait.

Now does anybody remember that site that sells plastic covers for boxsets and other weirdly-shaped packages (not bagsunlimited)?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Please guys, help an aging corporation crowd fund something that's at the highest sales level since 1997: http://ssl.mtab.tv/uvinyl/

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I, Butthole posted:

Please guys, help an aging corporation crowd fund something that's at the highest sales level since 1997: http://ssl.mtab.tv/uvinyl/

Well, if the amount I fund is about the price of a new record and as a donation gift I actually get a record, I have no problem with this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I love how quickly corporations and millionaires latched onto the whole kickstarter/crowd funding thing.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

its hip as heck to do the kidstarter thing

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

CPL593H posted:

I just want a copy of Movement, which is something I never come across. I'm way ahead of you on Rhino. I have a bunch of them that sound great, but I only bought them because they have all that "Remastered from the original analog tapes!" stuff going on. I haven't seen anything like that in reference to the Movement reissue, so I just wanted to know if my suspicions were correct about it being digitally sourced.

I've never heard it personally, but here are some opinions from people who, like you and me, care deeply about this sort of thing:

quote:

I listened to lowlife. It's easily the most impoved but brotherhood is really nice too. Listened to part of movement. I was expecting to be let down as i have a mint factory pressing of that. Guess what i was not.It sounded great too. The cover colour is a bit different though, a shade. The insert in my factory movement is a bit better made. So their's not a stinker in the set.

quote:

I hear more detail in the new movement with less analog warmth but only a small difference either way.

The latter quote leads me to infer that they're digitally remastered.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

Well, I took a bunch of photos of the stuff I'd picked up recently to show to a friend of mine, so I figured I'd post them here and show them off (I promise I'm done after this, there's nothing else!). I really did try and get a picture with more than one in at a time, but the camera on my phone is total garbage ...

So I actually went for a record fair for the first time on Saturday and picked up some neat stuff ...

Only cost me £2 ... and while it's not the greatest of albums, it's got a lot of sentimental value to me.

I was lucky enough to find my favourite Steve Hillage album for only £4 ... bargain!

I actually saw this in a record shop and passed it up, then ended up spotting it at the record fair and plumping for it finally ... I'll shut up now and just post the pictures.

However ... this one I was really pleased with ... it's a copy of 'The Faust Tapes'.

And to top it all off ... quite simply ...

Naturally that had to go exceptionally loud as soon as I got it home.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My copy of Goodbye Horses just showed up, and the loving UPS guy left it sitting directly out in the sun (on top of another box he delivered) instead of between my screen/front door like every other time. I swear to god if this thing is warped from the 93+ degree sun today...

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

Me in Reverse posted:

My copy of Goodbye Horses just showed up, and the loving UPS guy left it sitting directly out in the sun (on top of another box he delivered) instead of between my screen/front door like every other time. I swear to god if this thing is warped from the 93+ degree sun today...

That happened earlier this year with my copy of The Terror. I live in an apartment complex in Texas. He didn't even bother taking it to the front office like every other package that arrives when I'm out, but just left it laying in front of my door.

I was amazed that it wasn't warped.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

landofcake posted:

So I actually went for a record fair for the first time on Saturday and picked up some neat stuff ...

Just curious what the U.F.Orb set you back? I've been waiting for an affordable-ish (sent to U.S. anyway) 3xLP version to show up on discogs. GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Me in Reverse posted:

Stuff like this almost (almost) makes up for being on the ground floor of a house (and not being able to use normal window A/C units without the fear of an easy break-in). I've got a big covered porch, so even if my UPS guy neglects to hide a package behind the screen door, there's still ample shade- assuming he leaves it somewhere reasonably near my mailbox.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

iluvpr0n posted:

Just curious what the U.F.Orb set you back? I've been waiting for an affordable-ish (sent to U.S. anyway) 3xLP version to show up on discogs. GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL.

I was very lucky and picked it up on discogs for £5! However it's only the 2xLP version.

landofcake fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 17, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So Franz Ferdinand are apparently releasing an album next month and US preorders can be found here.

And the interesting biz is that there are not one- but two deluxe versions (!) to be had:

Domino USA posted:

Standard LP + Download codes. $18.00

Limited Edition Deluxe hand numbered and die-cast gatefold double heavyweight vinyl with download codes. Second LP features a live recording entitled 'Right Notes, Right Words, Wrong Order', recorded live at the famous Konk Studios. $26.00

So an added live LP and a fancier sleeve for an extra $8? Not bad. I'll probably get it. But here's where it gets weird- and a lot more expensive:

quote:

Domino is proud to present ‘The Passport Edition’ of Franz Ferdinand’s new album ‘Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action’. Limited to 500 passports only! It Features a deluxe edition of each physical format of the album, all 7”s and 12” singles released before the album comes out and access to the highest quality audio files possible as well as exclusive tracks and content - this is the definitive listening experience of the album.

We will deliver the following physical items to your door:

• An exclusive 7” containing two tracks unavailable elsewhere.
• 180 gram virgin double heavyweight vinyl LP packaged in a lavish, hand numbered die-cut gatefold sleeve. Record 1 containing the album and Record 2 a live recording entitled ‘Right Notes, Right Words, Wrong Order’, a document of a thrilling session captured at the legendary Konk Studios in London.
• A deluxe limited edition 6 panel CD gatefold soft pack containing main album plus ‘Right Notes, Right Words, Wrong Order’.
• Coloured 7" single in deluxe, spined outer sleeve upon sign up. [I don't get it- is this another 7" or the one with the 2 exclusive tracks?]
• A special TBA 12” single.
• An exclusive set of 4 postcards, each featuring a message from a different member of Franz Ferdinand.

Your digital account powered by Drip.fm will grant you online access to:

• High quality audio in a choice of formats including FLAC, M4A, 320kps MP3, 500k OGG & WAV (24 Bit / 44.1K high resolution).
• All tracks delivered to your email inbox at the moment of release.
• Exclusive digital content from the band, including video interviews, fan Q&A’s and an audio track by track interview about the album.
• All digital content such as music videos, live sessions and news curated and delivered to your digital passport account as it happens.
• Speedy online technical support with a real person, for any of your Passport edition queries.

$85.00

So while the extra 7" (or is it 7"s? I'm not exactly sure if they're talking about one or two) and 12" are compelling, I seriously doubt they're worth the extra $59. As for everything else- I couldn't give two shits about getting a "lavishly packaged" CD, or the postcards, or the excessive file formats, or access to what amounts to an online fanclub full of promo material with included tech support concierge (lololololol).

The "Passport Edition" comes with its own Admiral's Club.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also available in a more limited Smokey-Haze pressing with a special silkscreened cover from Paper Bag:

http://shop.paperbagrecords.com/products/yt-st-pre-order

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Holy poo poo, this sounds amazing. Thank you for posting this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So Franz Ferdinand are apparently releasing an album next month and US preorders can be found

I didn't even know anyone still cared about Franz Ferdinand.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah, I'm ok with them not making music anymore.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

I didn't even know anyone still cared about Franz Ferdinand.

Hey, I still care about them. They actually got better with subsequent albums and really extended their range. I mean, their second album had "Eleanor, Put Your Boots On" which is a really awesome ballad. Then the third album is just great all around. I think the thing that really helps is that they just sound like they are having fun. So yeah, I'll get their new album, and I will love it like all the women I've never loved...

I mean...

Here. Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-0nagLIUaQ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WASDF posted:

Yeah, I'm ok with them not making music anymore.

Balls to that. Their first two albums are fantastic. The third one was merely decent but I'm way more optimistic about this than I would be of- let's say- a new Interpol or Strokes LP.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bliggers- posted:

Also available in a more limited Smokey-Haze pressing with a special silkscreened cover from Paper Bag:

Crap. Even though the international shipping to the US was ten dollars, it was totally worth getting for me. That haze thing looks dope as hell and I regretted flip-flopping on- and eventually missing out on- the first pressing a year ago.

(Yeah, it's a double-post but they're like 5 hours apart).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 17, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Even though the international shipping to the US was ten dollars

you poor soul

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bliggers- posted:

How limited is this exactly? Just asking because the international shipping is killing me and not worth it if I can just pick it up from Rough Trade or Norman Records a little later.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

david puddy posted:

you poor soul

:australia::respek::australia:

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

david puddy posted:

you poor soul

Yeah. I don't think I can ever justify buying from the USA anymore. With the aussie dollar the way it is and the increased shipping prices from USPS it usually works out to be more expensive than the actual record.

I wanted to get that Devo box set that was recently released but shipping was 60-80 bucks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

screaden posted:

Yeah. I don't think I can ever justify buying from the USA anymore. With the aussie dollar the way it is and the increased shipping prices from USPS it usually works out to be more expensive than the actual record.

(I'm not Australian.) Sometimes I order records from the US because the USD is so low that even though shipping more than doubles the price of a record, it's still cheaper than buying it here.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Rare Desertshore (with Mark Kozelek) vinyl just went up. Site is getting hammered.

http://shop.desertshoreband.com/main.sc

If anyone still has any interest in this: they're down to their last 28 copies.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I don't usually jump on things like this, but this sounds way too cool to pass up, and I had to share. Seriously looking forward to this.

Dumb Numbers
https://soundcloud.com/joyful-noise-recordings/05-dumb-numbers-redrum

Anyone bummed that they missed out on coloured vinyl (for whatever reason): They're doing another run on 'electric blue'.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 17, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Jerry Cotton posted:

(I'm not Australian.) Sometimes I order records from the US because the USD is so low that even though shipping more than doubles the price of a record, it's still cheaper than buying it here.

Our dollar crashed pretty hard, it was 1.06 AUD per 1 USD in May, now it's 0.90-92 AUD per 1 USD so it's not even worth it anymore. I am pretty excited for my trip to the States so I can get in on these ludicrously low record prices.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Dissapointed Owl posted:

How limited is this exactly? Just asking because the international shipping is killing me and not worth it if I can just pick it up from Rough Trade or Norman Records a little later.

300 I think. It won't last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landofcake
May 7, 2009

Alright ... Spiderland sounds loving excellent on Vinyl.