Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
EDIT: NM I think I got it to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know this isn’t the games thread but the released Civ6 for the iPad. It’s 50% off for the next few weeks ($30).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Note that you can try it free for 60 turns before paying for the full thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

30 turns building an archer to fend off the five barbarians you spawned next to, and then maybe build a settler. What an experience, let me get my credit card out!!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Civ6 is bad and being on the iPad won't save it. It'll need a couple expansions to be a decent game, as is the way of Civs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

30 turns building an archer to fend off the five barbarians you spawned next to, and then maybe build a settler. What an experience, let me get my credit card out!!

I mean it gives you an idea of how it runs at least.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Not great. I mean it runs alright, but it's awfully complex for a tough interface.

I just want Civ 2 damnit. Or maybe a decent Colonization or Romance of Three Kingdoms port.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nervana posted:

Are there any problems updating ipad air 2 to ios11? ios 11 killed my iphone 6 and i do not want another dead device on my hands.

My Mini 4 has been fine with the update.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nervana posted:

Are there any problems updating ipad air 2 to ios11? ios 11 killed my iphone 6 and i do not want another dead device on my hands.

I've had a ton of problems with my 6s, but my air 2 has worked perfectly from the jump.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Air2 was pretty rough on the betas but it's great on iOS 11.2, I actually really like the multitasking now. I still wish the side-swipe to bring up multitasking was there but I'm used to the change now

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Edit: Nevermind, I'm sorry for bothering you guys.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 26, 2017

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Heading to Europe and wanted to load up my iPad Pro (2017) 12.9 with 4K HDR video. Is that a thing yet? I read that you can download HDR videos to the iPad Pro through iTunes but it won't download in 4K, only 1080p (but apparently will stream in 4k or close to it).

I also see :filez: on the internet; would those work if I transferred them to the iPad through, say, Plex? Or are there other options?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

beergod posted:

Heading to Europe and wanted to load up my iPad Pro (2017) 12.9 with 4K HDR video. Is that a thing yet? I read that you can download HDR videos to the iPad Pro through iTunes but it won't download in 4K, only 1080p (but apparently will stream in 4k or close to it).

I also see :filez: on the internet; would those work if I transferred them to the iPad through, say, Plex? Or are there other options?

HDR content from Amazon Prime, Netflix and iTunes will play in HDR, yeah. Unsure of resolution but it doesn't seem likely they'll have per-device resolution and HDR versions of all content.

Also yes, the 4K HDR content you can download elsewhere works. I use nPlayer to play it. (Related: I only have a 64GB iPad Pro 10.5, but use a 128GB Sandisk iXpand flash drive to store movies, which nPlayer still reads.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hello Spaceman posted:

but use a 128GB Sandisk iXpand flash drive to store movies, which nPlayer still reads.)

I keep meaning to get one of those until I can get an iPad upgrade (16gb :negative:)
Are they good?

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I keep meaning to get one of those until I can get an iPad upgrade (16gb :negative:)
Are they good?

I have the 200 GB one (which I actually bought thanks to this thread!) and I’ve been using it a ton this past year. It’s easy to copy media onto, small & light, and a lifesaver on long bus rides. Would 100% buy again.

Main annoyances I have are that the write speeds (copying media onto the drive from my computer) are abysmally slow, and the Sandisk Connect Drive app doesn’t support subtitles. I used It’s Playing for a while, but the connection was always glitchy; these days I use Infuse which so far has been great. One caveat is that I’ve never been able to get the iXpand device to play well with my home network. It’s not an issue on my phone due to LTE and doesn’t matter if you only want to watch stuff on flights, but it’s irritating on my iPad so YMMV.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

letthemreadprose posted:

I have the 200 GB one (which I actually bought thanks to this thread!) and I’ve been using it a ton this past year. It’s easy to copy media onto, small & light, and a lifesaver on long bus rides. Would 100% buy again.

Main annoyances I have are that the write speeds (copying media onto the drive from my computer) are abysmally slow, and the Sandisk Connect Drive app doesn’t support subtitles. I used It’s Playing for a while, but the connection was always glitchy; these days I use Infuse which so far has been great. One caveat is that I’ve never been able to get the iXpand device to play well with my home network. It’s not an issue on my phone due to LTE and doesn’t matter if you only want to watch stuff on flights, but it’s irritating on my iPad so YMMV.

It sounds like yours is the wireless one, right?

I have the USB 3.0 version that plugs into the Lightning port. It’s hella fast in all operations. It has the curved-back design, so tucks away behind the iPad and doesn’t feel like it’ll get in the way too much.

Unsure if some of your Sandisk app playback issues would be resolved by using nPlayer or Infuse, or if they strictly support the USB models.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are they good?

As above; I like it and it’s the reason I was willing to settle for a 64GB iPad. Sandisk one specifically, because of form factor, speed, price and app support. The rest are either poo poo or only work with their proprietary apps.

Hello Spaceman fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 26, 2017

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

Hello Spaceman posted:

I have the USB 3.0 version that plugs into the Lightning port. It’s hella fast in all operations. It has the curved-back design, so tucks away behind the iPad and doesn’t feel like it’ll get in the way too much.

Unsure if some of your Sandisk app playback issues would be resolved by using nPlayer or Infuse, or if they strictly support the USB models.

As above; I like it and it’s the reason I was willing to settle for a 64GB iPad. Sandisk one specifically, because of form factor, speed, price and app support. The rest are either poo poo or only work with their proprietary apps.

Mine is the wireless one. I actually didn’t even know the folded-back design existed, so that’s great to know, might pick one up for my SO.

I use Infuse now. The playback is great on the Sandisk app & Infuse.

(My above complaint is probably an edge case now that I think about it.

Basically, the wireless iXpand works by creating a wifi network for the iPad, so the iPad can’t simultaneously connect to any other network. In theory the iXpand can be configured to connect to my home network so that I can get internet through the iXpand connection, but I’ve never gotten that to work successfully so I can’t use internet while watching iXpand videos. Not a problem for 99% of people who are probably watching in scenarios without wifi access in the first place, or for anyone with the lightning port version.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hello Spaceman posted:

Sounds great, I'll have to keep an eye out for any January sales

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Hello Spaceman posted:

What other apps work with this USB stick? Or does it show up generically in Files and apps can read/write just like Dropbox?

The last time I looked at something in this space it was stuff like the Seagate with that weird WiFi network thing and only worked with their own proprietary app as far as I could tell.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MrBond posted:

What other apps work with this USB stick? Or does it show up generically in Files and apps can read/write just like Dropbox?

The last time I looked at something in this space it was stuff like the Seagate with that weird WiFi network thing and only worked with their own proprietary app as far as I could tell.

I had hoped it would be detected through Files for system-level integration, but that isn’t the case. I can only hope that iOS 12 will have some USB/file/device API for these sorta things to be a reality. With iCloud files we already have a browsable “file store” of sorts, anyway.

When you first plug the drive in to the Lightning port it asks to download an app. The list of compatible apps shown is similar to just searching the App Store for “ixpand”, which is what I have subsequently done. So far, I’ve just needed a good video player, but besides the official Sandisk app there is also a file browser (FileExplorer) that has an interface similar to the iOS Files app and also offers iCloud integration.

The Sandisk app lets you back up photos (photo roll, Facebook, Instagram) and contacts. It also lets you transfer files to/from the drive/iPad (or phone) but these can only be accessed from the app’s file store. It supports video and audio playback, though there are better apps for that. Maybe one cool feature is that it’ll let you shoot photos/video directly to the iXpand drive.

Hope this effort post helps! :v:

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
My Ipad air 2 has a slight darker area on the left side of the screen, maybe because something pressed on it in my bag (quite likely the explanation) but I also think it has been there for as long as I remember. Any ideas on how much it would cost to get this fixed?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Fixed by Apple? $249.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Will Apple replace iPad batteries under Applecare if they dip below 80% capacity like they do MacBooks?

Is there a way to accurately tell your iPad battery level? The Battery Life app says 17% degraded.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes they will, and don’t know about the second one.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Krispy Wafer posted:

Will Apple replace iPad batteries under Applecare if they dip below 80% capacity like they do MacBooks?

Is there a way to accurately tell your iPad battery level? The Battery Life app says 17% degraded.

Everyone’s friend CoconutBattery for Mac will read iOS battery data.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I need to replace the batteries in 2 iPad mini 4's ( planning to pay the $99 ). Is the process the same if I go in store or do it through the mail? Do they swap it out with a refurb?

Fcdts26 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 30, 2017

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't have a lot of experience with ios and I'm finding it difficult to google this issue and get relevant results.

Basically, I'm finding that games that idle/do stuff in the background (for example, games that let you play until some resource is drained, then you have to wait for the resource to fill up, I'm sure there's a term for this...) don't properly track their state when I navigate away from the app or let the ipad sleep. Like, if the timer or whatever says I'll get more resources in 50 minutes, I could come back in an hour and it'll still say 50 minutes. With some games, I found that closing the app and reloading it helped to "refresh" it, but that doesn't work for all apps. Is there anything I should be doing, or any trick to fix this issue?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

marjorie posted:

(for example, games that let you play until some resource is drained, then you have to wait for the resource to fill up, I'm sure there's a term for this...)
I think the word you're looking for is "garbage"

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

I think the word you're looking for is "garbage"

Well, obviously, but googling "why don't my garbage games run in the background" just gives me links for more garbage games.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

marjorie posted:

Well, obviously, but googling "why don't my garbage games run in the background" just gives me links for more garbage games.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202070

Quit playing poo poo games that only count down with the screen active, if they(the game makers) wanted it to work differently they would.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

marjorie posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't have a lot of experience with ios and I'm finding it difficult to google this issue and get relevant results.

Basically, I'm finding that games that idle/do stuff in the background (for example, games that let you play until some resource is drained, then you have to wait for the resource to fill up, I'm sure there's a term for this...) don't properly track their state when I navigate away from the app or let the ipad sleep. Like, if the timer or whatever says I'll get more resources in 50 minutes, I could come back in an hour and it'll still say 50 minutes. With some games, I found that closing the app and reloading it helped to "refresh" it, but that doesn't work for all apps. Is there anything I should be doing, or any trick to fix this issue?

The purpose is to keep you there looking at ads or interacting with their brand or whatever. If the timer runs in the background then it isn't working right.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

withak posted:

The purpose is to keep you there looking at ads or interacting with their brand or whatever. If the timer runs in the background then it isn't working right.

No, one of the games is the type that wants you to pay to speed things up, there aren't ads that they want you to view while you're playing. Plus, I used to play it on an ipod with no issues. And the other game I have on my Android phone and it runs in the background with no problem. These are things that work similarly to animal crossing, in that things take real time to complete, so it should just be working off your system time.

Grassy Knowles posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202070

Quit playing poo poo games that only count down with the screen active, if they(the game makers) wanted it to work differently they would.

See above about how they work fine on other devices. I'll try toggling the background refresh thing to see if that helps though.

Update: background refresh was already on, but I turned it off and that didn't help. This actually breaks one of the game mechanics (that works fine on other devices), so that's why I know it's not just because it's a garbage game. Oh well, just looking for insight, thanks anyway.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 30, 2017

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I recently dropped my old non-retina iPad 2 and busted the screen pretty good.

I wasn't crazy about the performance, but it was tolerable. I have a bunch of apps I would like access to. Do I get an Air or Air2 to for continued support? Is there a used iPad sweet spot?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ziploc posted:

I wasn't crazy about the performance, but it was tolerable. I have a bunch of apps I would like access to. Do I get an Air or Air2 to for continued support? Is there a used iPad sweet spot?

Why is the cheap “2017” non-pro iPad not a consideration?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

marjorie posted:

Update: background refresh was already on, but I turned it off and that didn't help. This actually breaks one of the game mechanics (that works fine on other devices), so that's why I know it's not just because it's a garbage game.
What's the game? Don't mind downloading it to test myself.

E: what iPad, what version of iOS, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Why is the cheap “2017” non-pro iPad not a consideration?

Well he did specify used. That said, a new 2017 is probably not a whole lot more than a used Air 2, and definitely worth it.

Don't get an Air 1. It's the same hardware as a 5S and will likely not get support past ios11.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

Def get the current generation, Apple lowered prices to try and drive sales, so it’s pretty comparable to an iPad Air 2 price wise but better hardware.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Air1 doesn't even have touchID 😟

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Going to be real mad if the next Pro doesn’t have FaceID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
iPads seem to feel very old very quickly so I wouldn't go too many generations back. Browsing alone takes forever, especially on my iPad 3(?). Even my Air can be slow with Tweetbot sometimes.