Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Furnaceface posted:

I come from a family that has many (now retired) police. They all say the same thing about the most recent incidents; these police arent trained the same way they were when it comes to peaceful resolution. A lot of the blame comes from the increasing militarization of police forces as deadly force and quick judgement/resolution is much higher priority and is in fact being taught at the very basic level in police forces across this country. While I dont doubt that you got this training, it is clearly not being taught to everyone or at least not getting put in the proper set of priorities.

The irony is that I was a military policeman.

And whether they're getting the training or not is secondary to the fact that a guy who's got it in his head that he's a yee-haw unfuckwithable cowboy with the state's permission to snap and go hamshit on the first one of those dirty scrotes to disrespect his authoritah isn't going to spend a moment's thought about his training or the law or any of the other things that would make his job possible. He's just going to pull out his bang-bang stick and make 'em kneel. I don't know James Forcillo so I can't accuse him of being a guy like that, and I'll stop there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Ironically, I think that was this guy:

Whereas THAT guy was the libertarian wingnut who shot a couple of cops in Moncton.
He shot and killed 3. He also shot and injured 2 more who lived. Shot at still more, missing them. There was then a manhunt that lasted about a day an a half.

There was an incident in that area back in the '70s which is better described as "guy who shot a couple of cops", albeit after kidnapping them at a traffic stop and driving them out into the woods to execute them.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Furnaceface posted:

I come from a family that has many (now retired) police. They all say the same thing about the most recent incidents; these police arent trained the same way they were when it comes to peaceful resolution. A lot of the blame comes from the increasing militarization of police forces as deadly force and quick judgement/resolution is much higher priority and is in fact being taught at the very basic level in police forces across this country. While I dont doubt that you got this training, it is clearly not being taught to everyone or at least not getting put in the proper set of priorities.

To back this up, the mentality behind this article, about what is generally believe to have been a completely justified shooting, should be considered incredibly instructive:

http://lawofficer.com/2008/12/10/officer-down-the-peter-soulis-incident/

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

There are places in the world where cops don't even carry guns, do you guys think that could work here?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

The irony is that I was a military policeman.

There's a point that gets trotted out during these debates about how the military have much stricter ROE than civilian law enforcement, but we're giving the cops the same equipment as the military.

The Duggler posted:

There are places in the world where cops don't even carry guns, do you guys think that could work here?

Blue sky hypothetical, or practically speaking. Because the political climate and the power the Canadian Police Association has makes the latter a complete impossibility. The minute this showed up on anyone's radar the CPA would be pouring millions into lobbying and public awareness campaigns. Whoever suggested it would see their political career turned to ash before their eyes.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 25, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Duggler posted:

The places where cops don't carry guns are places that tend to have very low levels of gun ownership in society, like Britain and Japan which can control that very easily because they are islands. We share the longest border in the world with the world's largest source of privately owned guns, and that border is pretty porous. I don't think we'll ever have the level of gun crime that Mexico does, but until the US figures out some form of meaningful gun control our police officers do need to carry.

That being said, they also obviously need to be trained how not to shoot people. Frankly, the role of a police officer should be to put themselves in harm's way to protect civilians. That's how we think of them. But instead, they're trained to protect their own lives at all costs, up to and including shooting unarmed people because they got scared. They need to be better trained how to deal with their fear, because they signed up for a job knowing that it had the potential that at some point they would be put in a situation where they will fear for their life, and, importantly, in that situation they still have to remain calm and not shoot people unless absolutely necessary. It seems like right now the number one thing police get trained to do is to protect their own lives at all costs, when frankly I think they should be being trained to protect other people's lives at all costs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How about just don't be a criminal, don't stand close to criminals, and don't be "mentally ill" or what ever sjw's call people who make bad choices these days?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

The Duggler posted:

I don't really think so. Canada has nearly five times the guns per capita of the United Kingdom, and about fifty times that of Japan.

Edit: beaten by Vyelkin like a victim of police brutality

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

vyelkin posted:

The places where cops don't carry guns are places that tend to have very low levels of gun ownership in society, like Britain and Japan which can control that very easily because they are islands. We share the longest border in the world with the world's largest source of privately owned guns, and that border is pretty porous. I don't think we'll ever have the level of gun crime that Mexico does, but until the US figures out some form of meaningful gun control our police officers do need to carry.
There's also the issue that our southern neighbour has an entrenched gun culture with vocal (online) proponents and at least in the case of Justin Bourque a citizen can be easily influenced by that gun culture as well, average levels of Canadian gun ownership and/or accessibility notwithstanding.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What does any of that have to do with giving the average patrol officer the ability to take a life? ETF exists for a reason, they're armed and trained to use their weapons properly. If there's a reason for an officer to be using lethal force, perhaps it should be left to them?

So far we see (in TPS at least) that front line officers tend to use their sidearms as a method of de-escalation (ineffectually), rather than say, actual de-escalation techniques. Perhaps if they didn't have that option they would instead take the time and effort to attempt to de-escalate the situation.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 25, 2016

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So wait was Yatim mentally ill, on bad research chems, or both? I'm seeing both brought up here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

What does any of that have to do with giving the average patrol officer the ability to take a life? ETF exists for a reason, they're armed and trained to use their weapons properly. If there's a reason for an officer to be using lethal force, perhaps it should be left to them?

So far we see (in TPS at least) that front line officers tend to use their sidearms as a method of de-escalation (ineffectually), rather than say, actual de-escalation techniques. Perhaps if they didn't have that option they would instead take the time and effort to attempt to de-escalate the situation.

The vast majority of officers don't use their guns often, and when they do they're justified to have done so.

Identifying and removing guys like this from the force before they can cause damage or take a life is probably a better idea than removing that tool from front line officers.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://www.facebook.com/cbcnews/videos/10153956510314604/

tl;dr Defense lawyer raising jury bias on verdict :eyepop:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So wait was Yatim mentally ill, on bad research chems, or both? I'm seeing both brought up here.

He was definitely on bad research chems, most articles are reporting MDMA, but the autopsy shows a different research stim. I believe it was discovered that he also had a history of depression or something similar. Whether he was having a manic episode, psychotic break, or a bad trip isn't especially relevant to the justification for killing him though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

The vast majority of officers don't use their guns often, and when they do they're justified to have done so. [Citation Needed]

Seriously, the whole background to the debate over this case is that the TPS do this a lot, and perhaps it is not actually justified.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

jm20 posted:

https://www.facebook.com/cbcnews/videos/10153956510314604/

tl;dr Defense lawyer raising jury bias on verdict :eyepop:

Boo hoo.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

How about just don't be a criminal, don't stand close to criminals, and don't be "mentally ill" or what ever sjw's call people who make bad choices these days?

If your next city in C:S doesnt have a police station and prison on every block then you have let me down.

Jordan7hm posted:

The vast majority of officers don't use their guns often, and when they do they're justified to have done so.

Identifying and removing guys like this from the force before they can cause damage or take a life is probably a better idea than removing that tool from front line officers.

The problem is that we are encountering extreme resistance from the police themselves to remove these guys. They are going so far as to lie under oath in order to protect their own, in the name of brotherhood or some dumb bullshit.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Just in case this was at all addressed to me, I'd be cool with giving the average patrol officer the ability to reliably incapacitate (as opposed to take a life) from the same distance as, say, a .308 m-14 (-alike). I could be wrong but I don't think a non-lethal option like that exists yet.

Otherwise I don't disagree that de-escalation techniques are just as important, but when someone literally goes out cop-hunting, they shouldn't be completely outgunned.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Baronjutter posted:

don't be "mentally ill" or what ever sjw's call people who make bad choices these days?

Not sure if this is an ironic post but yikes dude

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Eej posted:

Not sure if this is an ironic post but yikes dude

I think it was a bad attempt at being ironic/edgy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

The problem is that we are encountering extreme resistance from the police themselves to remove these guys. They are going so far as to lie under oath in order to protect their own, in the name of brotherhood or some dumb bullshit.

That is a very different problem though.

Like in 2013 tps officers pulled out their guns 1037 times and discharged them all of 12 times at people. The weapons are intended primarily as a last line of defense and seem to be used mostly as a deterrent.

The most common weapon associated with use of force incidents that they encounter are firearms, by far.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Like in 2013 tps officers pulled out their guns 1037 times

:stonk: That's one in five. Annually.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yes, because they're being used in place of other de-escalation techniques. Do you believe that 20% of all police interactions require the threat of lethal force to resolve?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I've been out of the game a while now, but I don't think I know five guys who've pulled handguns period.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Like in 2013 tps officers pulled out their guns 1037 times and discharged them all of 12 times at people. The weapons are intended primarily as a last line of defense and seem to be used mostly as a deterrent.

The most common weapon associated with use of force incidents that they encounter are firearms, by far.

"Use of force incidents" - does this mean when police use force, or when other people are trying to use force against police?

I think police for the most part should not have guns, or shouldn't have them on their person at all times. They should only be used when a life is in immediate danger. And a guy holding a knife 20ft away from a group of cops is not immediate danger.

How many cops get killed in a year in Canada? There was that big shooting spree in NB a few years back, aside from that it seems like it'd be under 10, by my guess.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Drawing your weapon as a deterrent is still stupid because it is more likely to cause an escalation. This should not be a police officers go-to move in every situation. Like I said, its a failure at the basic level and they need to start stressing this at the academy to new students.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Astute National Post commenters are very concerned that our prime minister is importing misogynist Muslim refugees to our wonderful country which is oh-so-respectful of women. They also believe he is "feminine", a "girlyman", and that raising kids to be feminist is "child abuse".

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 25, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yes, because they're being used in place of other de-escalation techniques. Do you believe that 20% of all police interactions require the threat of lethal force to resolve?

In fairness, that is on 1k incidents of drawn weapons per year for 5k officers. It would closer to say 20% had a thing over the course of a year instead of 20% of interactions.

It seems to be just about as bad to me when you realize how much of their day to day is traffic, drunks and domestic calls.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

i lust for cop death unironically

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ocrumsprug posted:

In fairness, that is on 1k incidents of drawn weapons per year for 5k officers. It would closer to say 20% had a thing over the course of a year instead of 20% of interactions.

It seems to be just about as bad to me when you realize how much of their day to day is traffic, drunks and domestic calls.

I wonder how diffuse the incidents are. Is it 1 in 5 police officers draws their gun once a year? Does 1 in 50 police officers draw their gun ten times a year? Do just ten police officers out of the entire force draw their guns a hundred times a year? Knowing that would tell us a lot more about whether this is just a few officers who draw their guns way too frequently, or something that most police officers are responsible about and draw their guns once every four or five years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

I wonder how diffuse the incidents are. Is it 1 in 5 police officers draws their gun once a year? Does 1 in 50 police officers draw their gun ten times a year? Do just ten police officers out of the entire force draw their guns a hundred times a year? Knowing that would tell us a lot more about whether this is just a few officers who draw their guns way too frequently, or something that most police officers are responsible about and draw their guns once every four or five years.

This sort of nuance is critical, along with correlated details on the nature of the incidents where weapons are drawn. Presumably this data is publicly available, but I'm not sure where to look.

VVVTorStar removed article comments completely earlier this month for exactly this reason.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 25, 2016

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Also probably CBC commenters, TorStar commenters, Globe commenters, and Bookcases and Shelves Monthly commenters.

Everyone who comments in news website comment sections is either batshit insane or everyone's weird uncle because nobody else gives a poo poo.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You need to stop treating commenters as the 'other'. There is no better representation of a cross section of Canada's population than a cbc commenter.

Canadians are garbage

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This is a ridiculous comment. The police engage in significantly more than 5000 interactions over the course of a year.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

This is a ridiculous comment. The police engage in significantly more than 5000 interactions over the course of a year.

Yes it was.

Okay, up to 20% of officers feel the need to escalate to a threat of lethal force in at least one interaction per year, how do we determine if that's justifiable? If this is actually just a small number of officers, how are the incidents they're responding to materially different than the average.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Let's just build a wall along the 49th parallel to keep the guns out. Problem solved.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yes it was.

Okay, up to 20% of officers feel the need to escalate to a threat of lethal force in at least one interaction per year, how do we determine if that's justifiable? If this is actually just a small number of officers, how are the incidents they're responding to materially different than the average.

They're tactical, they're carrying out search / arrest warrants, they're dealing with people who themselves have firearms....

I'm not arguing cops don't need better oversight, but we aren't the states. Guns drawn and pointed a thousand times, shot only 20 times.

Maybe guns are an effective de-escalation tool in the vast majority of cases and it's only when dealing with mentally damaged individuals where they stop being effective.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

vyelkin posted:

jm20 posted:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...ive-counselling

Christie Blatchford: Forcillo’s gun use set off early alerts — but he didn’t receive possible counselling

Constable James Forcillo is an even rarer bird among Toronto police than it first appeared.

As Postmedia reported earlier this week, the 32-year-old officer’s unusual reliance on his firearm brought him to the attention of the force’s early warning system in late 2012, the year before he shot and killed teenager Sammy Yatim.

The system kicks out an alert whenever an officer points his firearm at someone three times in a rolling 12-month period.

And Forcillo, who testified at trial he’s pulled his Glock .40 calibre pistol “about a dozen times” in about three-and-a-half years on the force, apparently generated two of the alerts.

That would make him one of only nine of the average 5,285 officers deployed in 2013 who pointed his firearm four times — .17 per cent of those on the job.

According to numbers released by Toronto police in response to the first Postmedia story, in 2013 only 465 officers pointed their weapons at people even once.

Eighty-three officers did it twice, and 19 three times. The confidential “early intervention” process, as it’s called, is designed to catch officers whose conduct may be leading them towards difficulty.

It is not part of the disciplinary system, but rather is supposed to red-flag those officers whose conduct may be taking them into trouble.

Though these officers may be counselled or monitored for a time, that didn’t happen with Forcillo, according to his lawyer Peter Brauti.

Brauti told Postmedia that when Forcillo received the second alert, a supervisor casually mentioned it and said the incidents where he’d pointed his
pistol would now have to be reviewed.

That was the last Forcillo heard of it, Brauti said. Forcillo is pleading not guilty to second-degree murder and attempted murder in the July 27, 2013 shooting of the 18-year-old.

The jury in the case retired Wednesday and is still deliberating its verdict.

According to publicly available numbers, in 2013, the early warning system generated 1,037 alerts for the three-is-too-many firearm pointing and 211 for pulling a gun.

But the numbers are misleading and don’t equate to individual officers.

Most of the weapons alerts, for instance, are attributable to the Emergency Task Force, the highly trained specialty unit which responds to the most dangerous situations. And it also includes internal and public complaints about police and parking officers, collisions, pursuits and even civil lawsuits in which the police force or chief is named.

At trial, a prosecution use-of-force expert was sharply critical of Forcillo for not talking to Yatim — verbal de-escalation — and for not trying other less lethal methods such as pepper spray.

Forcillo did call for a Taser to be brought to the scene — constables aren’t equipped with them — but before a sergeant arrived with one, Forcillo had fired, because he said he believed Yatim was coming off the streetcar to attack him.

The teenager, who had swung the switchblade at a young female passenger on the streetcar earlier that night, took eight bullets from Forcillo’s gun.

He fired nine bullets in two volleys separated by about five seconds.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The aricle jm20 posted gives some good perspective, but this is a problem:

Jordan7hm posted:

Maybe guns are an effective de-escalation tool in the vast majority of cases and it's only when dealing with mentally damaged individuals where they stop being effective.

Maybe? Given the cost (i.e. a human life) I'd suggest that "maybe it's a good de-escalation technique" is bullshit. Perhaps, and I'm just speculating here, threatening lethal force is not a good way to de-ecalate anything. If it's being used as such by anyone other than the ETF, it's a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
ITT guns are a deescalation tool

:rolleyes: