Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless you're a Gamestop employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hell by being comic book fans we're already complicit in a fandom that has in the last week has had many people both chase a talented writer out of the industry (and off the internet) and applaud one man gifting another a portrait of a woman's rear end in a top hat

That's some pretty loving severe steps up from wanting to have sex with a cartoon hedgehog

Aphrodite posted:

Unless you're a Gamestop employee.

They know what they're in for

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your duties will be to man the cash register, restock the shelves, push Game Informer subscriptions, and occasionally get pepper sprayed by autistic obsessive Sonic fans. You may be asked to open or close.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Hell by being comic book fans we're already complicit in a fandom that has in the last week has had many people both chase a talented writer out of the industry (and off the internet) and applaud one man gifting another a portrait of a woman's rear end in a top hat

That's some pretty loving severe steps up from wanting to have sex with a cartoon hedgehog

If you think comic fans aren't significant worse then you don't actually know comic fans. There are plenty of comic fans out there writing erotic fanfiction about Rocket Raccoon as we speak.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I meant steps up in badness not steps up in "this is a socially cool thing to do"

but also yeah so much raccoon fuckin is being written at this very moment

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Blockhouse posted:

They know what they're in for

Please elaborate, these sound fascinating.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Please elaborate, these sound fascinating.

I think the first one is in reference to Chelsea Cain, the second one I have no clue though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MacheteZombie posted:

I think the first one is in reference to Chelsea Cain, the second one I have no clue though.

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, Milo Manara and Frank Cho met up two years and two months after that controversial Spider-Woman cover, and Manara had a gift to give Frank in appreciation of all his good work.
:nws:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/31/from-milo-manara-to-frank-cho-a-very-unsafe-for-work-gift:nws:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Awful

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MacheteZombie posted:

Not familiar with her. What unforgivable sin was she harassed for?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

greatn posted:

Writing a book with a female lead that had a cover that had said lead wearing a shirt that said "Ask me about my feminist agenda" as far as I can tell.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Writing a book with a female lead that had a cover that had said lead wearing a shirt that said "Ask me about my feminist agenda" as far as I can tell.

It seems like that's there is. She wrote Mockingbird with a feminist bent, therefore deserves punishment from internet dudes.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Codependent Poster posted:

I like that Mockingbird was a pretty strongly feminist book throughout but it wasn't until it was literally labelled as such by the cover that it became a problem.

I also dig that the whole SJW COMICS DONT SELL arguement is based on this book ignores how this book was scheduled to be a limited run to begin with.

Mockingbird was loving great. Issue 1's cover is like a wonderful James Bond poster.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

greatn posted:

If you wanna be bummed out I guess.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/26/chelsea-cain-mockingbird-feminist-backlash

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

If you think comic fans aren't significant worse then you don't actually know comic fans. There are plenty of comic fans out there writing erotic fanfiction about Rocket Raccoon as we speak.

In mine he has Bradley Cooper's face.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Quick Q, would rather Rocket Raccoon's head on Bradley Cooper's body or the other way around?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Definitely Bradley Cooper's head on a raccoon.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sion posted:

I like that Mockingbird was a pretty strongly feminist book throughout but it wasn't until it was literally labelled as such by the cover that it became a problem.

I also dig that the whole SJW COMICS DONT SELL arguement is based on this book ignores how this book was scheduled to be a limited run to begin with.

Mockingbird was loving great. Issue 1's cover is like a wonderful James Bond poster.

It was supposed to be five issues, but Marvel was so happy with the book, they gave it another three issues to try and save it. The book not selling is on the fans, not the quality of the book.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bradley Cooper body, raccoon head, Lorenzo Music's voice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What about raccoon head x Bradley head fic

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Back to Dope, that movie just felt weirdly inauthentic. Like I thought it was fine the first time I saw it and then I had a bunch of poo poo pointed out to me and realized that movie is really strange. Stuff like the memes, "white people poo poo," and that monologue at the end, which is just absurdly defensive against a racial status quo that the movie hasn't actually bothered to meaningfully establish and so just feels really weak. Like, I know it exists in the real world, but you don't just get to bring it up in the last five minutes of your movie and have it work.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Open Marriage Night posted:

It was supposed to be five issues, but Marvel was so happy with the book, they gave it another three issues to try and save it. The book not selling is on the fans, not the quality of the book.

This is just now:

And yeah, I know this is post-controversy sales surge but doesn't imply the problem was that it wasn't marketed well and getting to the right people in the first place?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm glad controversy bumps can help good books sell and not just Frank Cho sell awful poo poo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

NmareBfly posted:

This is just now:

[tig]http://i.imgur.com/ngUopci.png[/timg]

And yeah, I know this is post-controversy sales surge but doesn't imply the problem was that it wasn't marketed well and getting to the right people in the first place?

it's half that and half that the terrible oppressive machine known as the direct market conditions retailers to only bet on sure things

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I typed up a fairly long letter to Cain apologizing for this entire industry and fandom but she bailed off Twitter before I could send her anything. I hope she comes back at some point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At least things are changing, Cho got kicked off of Wonder Woman because Tom King said "no gently caress that poo poo" when Cho's variant was basically a anime style panty shot on Wonder Woman. Then Cho, like everyone else like him, was a big loving baby and cried and said he's not going to work for DC anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

At least things are changing, Cho got kicked off of Wonder Woman because Tom King said "no gently caress that poo poo" when Cho's variant was basically a anime style panty shot on Wonder Woman. Then Cho, like everyone else like him, was a big loving baby and cried and said he's not going to work for DC anymore.

It was allegedly Greg Rucka, not Tom King and Rucka has not commented on it so it's probably bullshit.

Also Cho is still working for DC.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

twistedmentat posted:

Was Rucka on WW, otherwise yeah. I think there's a great amount of awareness spreading in nerd circles so obviously there's people fighting it just because it's different.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

It was allegedly Greg Rucka, not Tom King and Rucka has not commented on it so it's probably bullshit.

Also Cho is still working for DC.

Oh he just left Wonder Woman, but he still complains that Rucka was trying to censor him. "everyone likes my covers, Only Rucka didn't!" he said, as i paraphrase it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And Rucka hasn't said a word about it last I checked.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

And Rucka hasn't said a word about it last I checked.

I would think Rucka doesn't want to invite the pain of being targeted by redditors and b-tards by saying anything.

You'd be the best person to ask this; those Before the Movie comics, do they sell and generate any interest in the comics? I assume that the movies hype is already up there so they're there more to drive people more towards comics than anything else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

You'd be the best person to ask this; those Before the Movie comics, do they sell and generate any interest in the comics? I assume that the movies hype is already up there so they're there more to drive people more towards comics than anything else.

Nooooope. Comic sales tend to almost never increase because of a film release. Sure, retailers take advantage of additional discounts and order more but you rarely see Batman increase in sales because a film is out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Taika Waititi basically came out and said that one of the after credit scenes in Dr. Strange is actually a clip from Thor 3, the same thing they did with the Civil War clip in Ant-Man, so that means that Dr. Strange has at least a cameo in Thor 3.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rhyno posted:

Nooooope. Comic sales tend to almost never increase because of a film release. Sure, retailers take advantage of additional discounts and order more but you rarely see Batman increase in sales because a film is out.

I think they meant specifically if the "prelude" comics that come out before a movie sell, like "Doctor Strange Prelude" from a few months back. I'm curious about those as well.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Rhyno posted:

This is insane and puzzling to me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think they meant specifically if the "prelude" comics that come out before a movie sell, like "Doctor Strange Prelude" from a few months back. I'm curious about those as well.

Yea, that's what I meant, but it was interesting to know comic sales don't really increase when a movie comes out. Though do you just mean floppies or do you mean Trades as well?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

We're lucky if we sell two copies of them. They are usually ordered low and available on clearance sales for thirty cents a few months later.

Sion posted:

This is insane and puzzling to me.

Most people who go see the films do not give a poo poo about comics. Like, 99% of them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I mean, why would you? Sure, I love a lot of comics, but if I already didn't give a poo poo about comics and I liked the movies well enough I could just keep watching a few movies every year instead of spending hours upon hours(not to mention cash) reading through every single noteworthy comic. It's effectively a replacement Marvel universe for casual fans. Which, don't get me wrong, I'm fine with, I'm not an elitist, but it's sort of fascinating.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
When I've had people ask me if i know what to read to know more about a character after we go see a marvel movie i just tell em wikipedia

site fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rhyno posted:

We're lucky if we sell two copies of them. They are usually ordered low and available on clearance sales for thirty cents a few months later.

That's what I figured. Wonder why they keep being made.

• Locked thread