Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

gently caress it, I think I can see The Brain. My wife said she'd watch the baby for one night. The last live show was so goddamn fun, and watching Joel and Jonah riff together is just going to be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Nemo2342 posted:

As someone who lives in Alaska, I feel your pain. Nothing ever seems to come up here, so unless I want to fly down to the lower 48 I'm hosed.

:( :hf: :(

Try being a fan who's been along for the whole 30 year ride (I was living in Mlps when they started the show on KTMA), but now lives in the UK :( (Actually, I'm not sad I live in the UK, and of course can see episodes through Netflix and that -- plus it's fun introducing baffled British people to it :clint:)

Ah well! Everyone who can, enjoy it so I can, vicariously :unsmith:

Who knows -- Rifftrax did a show over here, so maybe one of these days MST3K will do, too (and plenty of goofy British movies for them to riff! God, how I love Devil Doll and the Projected Man).

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 5, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

gently caress it, I think I can see The Brain. My wife said she'd watch the baby for one night. The last live show was so goddamn fun, and watching Joel and Jonah riff together is just going to be worth it.

Good luck man.

In all regards!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Ms Boods posted:

:( :hf: :(

Try being a fan who's been along for the whole 30 year ride (I was living in Mlps when they started the show on KTMA), but now lives in the UK :( (Actually, I'm not sad I live in the UK, and of course can see episodes through Netflix and that -- plus it's fun introducing baffled British people to it :clint:)

Ah well! Everyone who can, enjoy it so I can, vicariously :unsmith:

Who knows -- Rifftrax did a show over here, so maybe one of these days MST3K will do, too (and plenty of goofy British movies for them to riff! God, how I love Devil Doll and the Projected Man).

I one have one question, then:

The dog’s meat, have you seen it?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Good luck man.

In all regards!

Thanks, I'm going to need it!

My absolute favorite part of the last live show was that someone across from us had brought their kids, who were about 8-10 to the show, and hearing the difference in which jokes they laughed at and which jokes us 30-somethings laughed at. One of the things I will always remember is when Jonah made a gurgling noise during the Eegah! riff and you could hear all of the adults laughing just as loudly as those kids.

The family show aspect of MST3K is an important thing to remember, and I think it's why some of the sketches often seem a little off-kilter.

I hope it's cheap and popular enough that it'll still be around in 2026, when my kid will probably be just old enough to really get a lot out of it. :shobon:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Deathstalker, the original is a lot more, shall we say riske, than Warriors of Hell was. Do they prune for content in their live shows or are they showing that one as is?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 6, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Don't understate it: Deathstalker is, by volume, at least 75% rape. I'm... genuinely kind of surprised they even entertained the idea of using it, given Sidehackers.

e: to answer your question there's basically no way in hell they could prune that movie for content, so unless the riff's only gonna be like 15 minutes long and that's part of the joke...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Don't understate it: Deathstalker is, by volume, at least 75% rape. I'm... genuinely kind of surprised they even entertained the idea of using it, given Sidehackers.

e: to answer your question there's basically no way in hell they could prune that movie for content, so unless the riff's only gonna be like 15 minutes long and that's part of the joke...

Whimsical rape!

But that's still rape so you know

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

TL posted:

I one have one question, then:

The dog’s meat, have you seen it?

Of course I have -- he'll only take it from me.

:j:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

remusclaw posted:

Deathstalker, the original is a lot more, shall we say riske, than Warriors of Hell was. Do they prune for content in their live shows or are they showing that one as is?

If they do it like Rifftrax Live they'll try to keep the show PG-13, which I imagine means a lot will get cut.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Well, in addition to not coming that close to me, I'll be in Europe during the exact dates of the entire tour. I'll see one of these live shows eventually I guess.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

If they do it like Rifftrax Live they'll try to keep the show PG-13, which I imagine means a lot will get cut.

Deathstalker's going to probably be the night's short, then. :v:

e: wait, what the gently caress, Rifftrax Live has done Starship Troopers and Night of the Living Dead before, do they cut the movies in those instances too? I actually entertained the idea of seeing the former, just to see ST in a theater, but if it was an edited version I'm okay with having not gone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: wait, what the gently caress, Rifftrax Live has done Starship Troopers and Night of the Living Dead before, do they cut the movies in those instances too? I actually entertained the idea of seeing the former, just to see ST in a theater, but if it was an edited version I'm okay with having not gone.

On the live show version, they just censor the nudity and nothing else.

So like, a scene and they just cover up her nipples

They don't worry so much about violence, though they will cut rape or racism from what I recall. And, well, the Twin Towers being destroyed.

The problem is Death Stalker is like, a solid 70% rape so

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

For Starship Troopers they had a distracting gorilla show up and prance around during the shower scene, and the camera followed it and didn't show the screen until everyone put their clothes back on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

For Starship Troopers they had a distracting gorilla show up and prance around during the shower scene, and the camera followed it and didn't show the screen until everyone put their clothes back on.

See, solid gag, these are always good gags.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Experimental psychology suggests that you would not see the gorilla in that situation, though. Do they at least make a joke about that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

business hammocks posted:

Experimental psychology suggests that you would not see the gorilla in that situation, though. Do they at least make a joke about that?

I'd assume Kevin did a "huh? What gorilla?" bit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

business hammocks posted:

The shtick was "I know you're excited for the legendary Starship Troopers shower scene, but I just want to say that we've been doing Rifftrax for seven years now, so I got something to celebrate it. A GORILLA-GRAM!" *cut away from movie to the theater camera*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ms Boods posted:

Of course I have -- he'll only take it from me.

anytime someone does a top 10 list and leaves off The Deadly Bees i'm just like :confused:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

precision posted:

anytime someone does a top 10 list and leaves off The Deadly Bees i'm just like :confused:

Amen

*shrill whistling tune intensifies*
:tipshat:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bowler cap guy is definitely one of the funniest moments in the show.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

A new volume is out on September 25th

https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/1004830463817592832

Episodes:
The Crawling Eye
Mad Monster
Manhunt In Space
The Beatniks
Blood Waters Of Dr. Z
Final Justice

e: apparently MST3K Summer Sale - 20% Off is still on, and it works for preorders, too

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 7, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ringu0 posted:

A new volume is out on September 25th

https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/1004830463817592832

Episodes:
The Crawling Eye
Mad Monster
Manhunt In Space
The Beatniks
Blood Waters Of Dr. Z
Final Justice

e: apparently MST3K Summer Sale - 20% Off is still on, and it works for preorders, too

So what were the volumes/episodes effected by this?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

So what were the volumes/episodes effected by this?

Volumes XIV and XVII

looks like they lost the rights to final sacrifice and soultaker

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm hoping they can reprint Vols 8, 9, & 10; those are the only ones I'm missing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

boner confessor posted:

Volumes XIV and XVII

looks like they lost the rights to final sacrifice and soultaker

Wonder how that happened, there's no way either of those movies should be worth much outside of a MST3K context

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DarkHorseComics/status/1004837942353891334

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lord I hope they cover a Fletcher Hanks comic at some point

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kinga opened a Dippin' Dots franchise. :stonk:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Davros1 posted:

I'm hoping they can reprint Vols 8, 9, & 10; those are the only ones I'm missing

If they don’t, you can still find 8 and 9 for decent prices on eBay. Volumes 1 and 10 (the original printing with the Godzilla movie) are the only ones that go for $50+.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

MST3K with only with comics instead of movies apparently. Interesting idea but I'm not sure how well they'd be able to make it work.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh that art is pretty bad but them riffing on comics sounds amazing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm starting to regret the resurrection of this show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a goofy tie-in product, it's not the end of the world, guys.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

It's a goofy tie-in product, it's not the end of the world, guys.

Oh, I don't know...

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Larryb posted:

MST3K with only with comics instead of movies apparently. Interesting idea but I'm not sure how well they'd be able to make it work.

I don't know what Joel came up with, but I have faith in him. Even if it doesn't work I can't blame him for trying it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

(Servo nerd voice) "Uh, they're not comics, they're graphic novels!" :reject:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

To match the pace of the season, the comics were all drawn in two weeks and whenever the colorist didn't have time, he just drew bubbles over the panel. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Welp, I guess I'm gonna be buying comic books now.