Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Looked up the list (just kinda pulled from the first forum post I found, so don't take this as gospel):

Air Diver, Aliens 3, Clue, Decapattack, Double Bragon 2, John Madden Football 1, Jordan vs. Bird, Pit-Fighter, Slime World, Stormlord, Trouble Shooter

Of these, Decapattack and Trouble Shooter would really annoy me since both games are pretty excellent.

Well, I guess I don't ever need a Nomad.

Decapattack and Trouble Shooter are Vic Tokai games, so I wonder if Whip Rush, Socket, and the second Trouble Shooter (Battle Mania Daiginjoh) have any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Ugh, let me get my 60 batteries and find out.

edit: Trouble Shooter 2, Socket, and Whip Rush work fine, I do not advise playing any of them on the Nomad's screen however.

Trouble Shooter 1 and Decapattack don't work though, either with or without the mode switch.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 20, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Picked up this tv last night off a sidewalk and bought a model 1 (HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS YO) genesis with composite cables, AC adapter, OEM 3 button controller and Sonic 1 for $40.

The tv seems pretty nice, especially for roadside free.

How long is the shipping from krikzz to the US usually for everdrives? Also are the extra features of the mega everdrive x7 worth the extra $$ over the x5? The only thing that interests me is the save states but I don't think it "double the price" interests me. Is there something else the x7 does that I'm not thinking about?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm still using the Everdrive v3 without issues, so the x3/5's probably fine. It has the instant loading and it can load all but one retail released Genesis/SMS/32X game.

If you intend to get a Sega CD the x5's probably the better choice.

Minor things to note, if you have a 3rd party AC adapter check that it actually puts out at least 1amp, or it won't actually be able to power the newer Everdrives.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm still using the Everdrive v3 without issues, so the x3/5's probably fine. It has the instant loading and it can load all but one retail released Genesis/SMS/32X game.

If you intend to get a Sega CD the x5's probably the better choice.

Minor things to note, if you have a 3rd party AC adapter check that it actually puts out at least 1amp, or it won't actually be able to power the newer Everdrives.

Balls. It is a 3rd party and it only puts out 350ma.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm actually surprised it's running the Genesis with that, since my Model 1 won't boot with those really weak ones.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm actually surprised it's running the Genesis with that, since my Model 1 won't boot with those really weak ones.

I'll just end up ordering the everdrive and a power adapter from stone age gamer because it looks like shipping will be faster than krikzz and they have a 1.2a power supply for $8.

And I do plan on getting a sega cd eventually. I live in Salt Lake City and there's a game shop called The Game Changerz (where I got the genesis) that actually sells retro stuff at decent prices so I'll be back there when they get a sega cd in.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

GutBomb posted:

I'll just end up ordering the everdrive and a power adapter from stone age gamer because it looks like shipping will be faster than krikzz and they have a 1.2a power supply for $8.

And I do plan on getting a sega cd eventually. I live in Salt Lake City and there's a game shop called The Game Changerz (where I got the genesis) that actually sells retro stuff at decent prices so I'll be back there when they get a sega cd in.

I'd recommend spending a couple more bucks and picking up one of these power supplies for the Genesis; they also work on the NES, AV Famicom, and PC Engine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTI9CJ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

RichterIX posted:

Similar to the Ranma conversation from a little while ago, I always get mixed up on the Sailor Moon games. Is the SNES beatemup the good one? I remember there being one on MD too.

there are :

two brawlers on the Super Famicom. they're both quite solid. one brawler on the Mega Drive, it's okay. arcade is good.

two fighting games on the Super Famicom. both are fun, but the Super S one is better.

one fighting game on the 3DO that is better than you think it is. one each on the Saturn and Playstation, it is not good.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

GutBomb posted:

If you get a Sega CD and intend to get 32x, keep your eye on when the Trio adapters are in stock, although they seem to be a lot more expensive than I remember.

http://www.retrogamecave.com/

I have a 3 in 1 for Genv2/CDv2/32x and it's awfully convenient.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

TBH you're more likely to find a good priced X'Eye or CDX than a Sega Trio.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Sup fellow Utah retro goon. I'm up in Davis County.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ballz posted:

Mappers are basically custom chips that came in the original game cartridge, as opposed to hardware on the console itself. A lot of mapper hacks are done just for repro cart purposes -- using more common/cheaper mappers to cut down on cost. More extensive rom hacks might change the mapper to take advantage of new capabilities that were not available in the original game (the above mentioned Metroid Rogue Dawn does this). If it's just a mapper change and nothing else, it's probably not worth your time.

You'd also need them if you had some reason you needed to use a really out of date NES emulator. So like maybe one of the ones that came with older portable emulation devices like a Dingoo A320 or like playing games on a PSP/DS. Of course, then you have to carefully figure out if the new mapper the game is hacked to will actually work with your old emulator.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Does anyone have a Core Grafx that they imported and are using successfully here in the US? Without modifying or replacing the ac adapter? I'm thinking of importing one to replace my TG-16.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Unless your home power is unusually hot, you can just use a stock Japanese 60hz AC adapter without any issues. If you're worried or your house really is out of spec, a Genesis Model 1 (1602) AC adapter will work fine.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Kramdar posted:

Does anyone have a Core Grafx that they imported and are using successfully here in the US? Without modifying or replacing the ac adapter? I'm thinking of importing one to replace my TG-16.

This is what the guy who sold me his Core Grafx included as my power. Worked just fine.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Next question, what's the best site to get one from for a more reasonable price than eBay?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, if you own a TG16 already you can just use that power adapter, they're the same thing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Does anyone know if a good set of plans exist to build a DIY candy cab-size cabinet? I want to stuff my retropie set up into one and I've got a friend who's a woodworking ace...

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Wait, if you own a TG16 already you can just use that power adapter, they're the same thing.

Yes, but if I can get a Core Grafx for X amount and can sell my TG16 for Y amount, then I'm importing one.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ballz posted:

I have a few recommendations!

Metroid - Rogue Dawn
Just came out about a week ago, and it's the most extensive hack of the original Metroid ever produced. New graphics, entirely new music (which is actually really good), a save feature, much larger world to explore, etc. It can get kind of NES Hard as you get further along, though, so it might not be for you (counterpoint: suck it up). I'm playing through it now, it's great.

I tried this and I gotta say I feel like it's meant for an advanced player. A semi-casual like me was completely lost and killed all the time even in the beginning (and I didn't even get far enough for it to get really hard?) I had no idea where to go, every area looked the same and all I could do was pick up a few missiles. I tried to look for bombs to no avail and felt like I had been everywhere I could. It didn't really feel like it rewards exploration in the sense that classic Metroids did, it's more of an exercise in frustration.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Elliotw2 posted:

TBH you're more likely to find a good priced X'Eye or CDX than a Sega Trio.

No kidding. He advertised for weeks that he was going to have some for sale on Black Friday. I stayed up all morning refreshing his POS site only to have it crash when he put them on sale and every single one be sold out in about 5 minutes. I have to imagine he put maybe five up for sale.

Not having a Trio is my biggest holdup for getting a 32X since I don't want to deal with yet another giant PSU with my setup.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
every time sega trio discussion comes up i remember how glad i am i jumped on that first batch

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
I'm waiting on the other, more universal adapter from RetroDC to be available again. http://retrodcpowered.com/

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

what

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I wouldn't use any of those three words to describe any atari. Even contemporarily.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm guessing some way to play atari games in VR.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I wouldn't use any of those three words to describe any atari. Even contemporarily.

Well, yeah. They said they'd let you play them in a whole new way. Didn't you read the message? :v:

My money is on yet another Atari Flashback machine.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Apparently it might be a watch. I hope it has a reproduction of the Atari joystick.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Elliotw2 posted:

Most of those actually work if you hold the mode button while loading the game, but Decap attack and Forgotten Worlds straight up never work on the Nomad, and Forgotten Worlds won't work on a normal Genesis unless you use a 3 button controller.

Forgotten worlds works fine on a Genesis with a 6-button controller with the mode button held down. I learned that a year or two ago when I got Forgotten Worlds and couldn't figure out why I kept getting a game over as soon at the game started.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kramdar posted:

Next question, what's the best site to get one from for a more reasonable price than eBay?

You could try Buyee.jp, which is a proxy service for buying stuff from Yahoo! Auctions and other sites in Japan. It's hard to say you'll really save all that much, though, especially if you're paying for shipping within Japan to the Buyee warehouse, and then for shipping from them to the US, and their service fees on top of that. If you're buying a lot of stuff or something that is already kind of high-priced but still noticeably cheaper in Japan (say, a PC Engine Duo console or whatever), then it might be worth it.

Otherwise, I'd say suck it up and buy on Ebay. Just make sure the console you get has at least one controller (since you can't interchange TG16 and PCE controllers without an adapter and neither form is necessarily cheap anyway) and a composite AV cable with stereo plugs. You can use a first model Genesis AV cable, but those are pretty much always mono since the Gen 1 AV port is mono. An AC adapter is nice and all, but you can get an aftermarket one like what Monitor Burn linked a bit up this page for not much money.

Controllers can be upwards of $30 apiece in my experience. Value one as being at least $20.
AV cables are $15, as mentioned.
AC adapters...whatever.

So keep that extra $35 in mind when you're looking at consoles to buy, since you'll probably be paying it one way or another. Otherwise, happy hunting!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

TeaJay posted:

I tried this and I gotta say I feel like it's meant for an advanced player. A semi-casual like me was completely lost and killed all the time even in the beginning (and I didn't even get far enough for it to get really hard?) I had no idea where to go, every area looked the same and all I could do was pick up a few missiles. I tried to look for bombs to no avail and felt like I had been everywhere I could. It didn't really feel like it rewards exploration in the sense that classic Metroids did, it's more of an exercise in frustration.

The newly added map function definitely helps to navigate the maze. I got stuck early on because I couldn't find a block that could be destroyed. When I was able to recognize floors and walls that could be destroyed the map really opened up.

When I get to a new area I tend to start at the top and just work my way down.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

TeaJay posted:

I had the same issues early on. I think printing out the map and marking off dead ends with what item you'd need would probably help a lot. I stuck with it for a bit (you get high jump boots before bombs), and once you get an e-tank you become much less vulnerable. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother going back to it though. It's very difficult to tell where you should be going next or if you've completely explored a section.

Super Metroid does a nicer job of letting the player know they can't proceed down a branch early on, with Rogue Dawn it seems like you explore a dozen map tiles before being sure you're supposed to have the ice beam or something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ballz posted:

I have a few recommendations!

Metroid - Rogue Dawn
Just came out about a week ago, and it's the most extensive hack of the original Metroid ever produced. New graphics, entirely new music (which is actually really good), a save feature, much larger world to explore, etc. It can get kind of NES Hard as you get further along, though, so it might not be for you (counterpoint: suck it up). I'm playing through it now, it's great.

Castlevania II Re-translation
I think this is the hack that Nate RFB was talking about. All new translation with about a half dozen patch options to customize your experience.

Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past DX
It's still A Link to the Past, just now with some bug fixes and new bells and whistles attached, especially if you take advantage of MSU1 and get the CD-quality soundtrack

Hallow's End
It's a hack of Earthbound with an all-new original story. If you want more Earthbound, this might do the trick.

Edit:

Mappers are basically custom chips that came in the original game cartridge, as opposed to hardware on the console itself. A lot of mapper hacks are done just for repro cart purposes -- using more common/cheaper mappers to cut down on cost. More extensive rom hacks might change the mapper to take advantage of new capabilities that were not available in the original game (the above mentioned Metroid Rogue Dawn does this). If it's just a mapper change and nothing else, it's probably not worth your time.

Rogue Dawn looks extremely my poo poo. Thanks!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: the Fighting Edition is a pretty okay licensed IP game.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The Atari 800 was a loving beast of a machine in 79-83. (And it still held it's own against the C64 and the 7800 and pre 87 onwards NES.) Like nothing could touch it especially for the price. There was a very short window of time where the ST was god tier as was the Lynx.

Course I am sure the owners of Atari don't remember or care they had a superior platform out there but they did. It would kind of be like how Nintendo if they remembered the Game Boy but forgot the Advance existed almost. That's how much better the A800 was. Also it's the most awesomely ugly rear end machine with only the Sears Intellivision being more 70s uggo than it. (I love the looks of both. To the point I had the 130xe and bought an 800 just to have the giant beige and brown typewriter lookin machine. It is made of steel. With another layer... OF STEEL. Said layers are also examples of why it didn't have expansion cards like the Apple 2. FCC restrictions in the age of Star Wars. The XL and XE systems were much smaller cuz Reagan era and the freedoms that the blessed St Ron Paul may have been inspired by. Like the Triangle Shirtwaist Company! )

Course Activision and EA pretty much forget they actually made things post 2600 till Genesis as well and they had a lot less being torn apart and sold off to other companies. (They just did it to companies they bought.)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Star Man posted:

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: the Fighting Edition is a pretty okay licensed IP game.

At first I didn't like it, but then I got the hang of the unique power bar system and found out it was pretty cool.

Could use some more stages/backgrounds, though; all the Megazords use the Zordon one. Also disappointed at no OG Megazord or Dragon Zord in the lineup.

The base engine was later used for Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, if the internet isn't lying to me.

I have a soft spot for the MMPR Game Boy game as well. It's nothing spectacular in the least, just a pretty short side-scrolling single plane beat-em-up/platformer with no depth, but there's also nothing really wrong with it. It avoids tedium and confusion, the later levels introduce vertical scrolling, and the license is used to good effect in the Megazord boss battles. Also the music is pretty :krad: even aside from the TV theme.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 21, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

Course I am sure the owners of Atari don't remember or care they had a superior platform out there but they did. It would kind of be like how Nintendo if they remembered the Game Boy but forgot the Advance existed almost. That's how much better the A800 was. Also it's the most awesomely ugly rear end machine with only the Sears Intellivision being more 70s uggo than it. (I love the looks of both. To the point I had the 130xe and bought an 800 just to have the giant beige and brown typewriter lookin machine. It is made of steel. With another layer... OF STEEL. Said layers are also examples of why it didn't have expansion cards like the Apple 2. FCC restrictions in the age of Star Wars. The XL and XE systems were much smaller cuz Reagan era and the freedoms that the blessed St Ron Paul may have been inspired by. Like the Triangle Shirtwaist Company! )

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

Gundam Wing: Endless Duel

totally forgot to add this to my list of good licensed games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dr. Dos posted:

I had the same issues early on. I think printing out the map and marking off dead ends with what item you'd need would probably help a lot. I stuck with it for a bit (you get high jump boots before bombs), and once you get an e-tank you become much less vulnerable. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother going back to it though. It's very difficult to tell where you should be going next or if you've completely explored a section.

Super Metroid does a nicer job of letting the player know they can't proceed down a branch early on, with Rogue Dawn it seems like you explore a dozen map tiles before being sure you're supposed to have the ice beam or something.

Here is the Metroid Rogue Dawn map for anyone who would like a version to print out/mark up. I remember making my own map of the original Metroid to help navigate through it back when I was like, 11, so this is definitely hitting all the right nostalgia notes.

• Locked thread