Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Mordiceius posted:

Someone suggest a bite size anime for my wife and I to watch (like 13-26 episodes max).

Here are some series she's seen and liked:
Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmai
FLCL
Gurren Lagann
Eva
Chobits
My Hime

I was looking at East of Eden but apparently the show is a massive loving disappointment despite it looking promising?

Inferno Cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Someone suggest a bite size anime for my wife and I to watch (like 13-26 episodes max).

Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmai
FLCL
Gurren Lagann
Eva
Chobits
My Hime

I was looking at East of Eden but apparently the show is a massive loving disappointment despite it looking promising?

gunbuster and diebuster, by the same studio as flcl and gurren lagann

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

watch https://myanimelist.net/anime/3701/Kaiba

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Droyer posted:

gunbuster and diebuster, by the same studio as flcl and gurren lagann

Are they dubbed?

Oh and is Darker than Black any good?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://myanimelist.net/anime/486/Kino_no_Tabi__The_Beautiful_World is also really good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Are they dubbed?

Oh and is Darker than Black any good?

yes DtB is good, ymmv on the second season though

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmai
FLCL
Speed Grapher
Gurren Lagann
Eva
Chobits
My Hime

Big O
Gatchaman Crowds and Insight

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

dogsicle posted:

yes DtB is good, ymmv on the second season though

I keep getting that show confused with Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, which I have seen, which had an awesome first scene and a loving garbage second season.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Are they dubbed?

not dubbed afaik

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

eden of the east is really good, if that's the one you're talking about

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

homeless snail posted:

eden of the east is really good, if that's the one you're talking about

Yeah. I meant Eden of the East. The trailer looked good but all the reviews online said "Oh, it starts off promising but by the end it falls off a cliff of disappointment"

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I'm on my way

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmai
FLCL
Speed Grapher
Gurren Lagann
Eva
Chobits
My Hime

kino's journey. it's got a nice atmosphere, kinda fits into a similar mold as haibane renmei in a few ways. it has a good dub.
samurai champloo. it's by a lot of the same staff as bebop and has a good dub.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I meant Eden of the East. The trailer looked good but all the reviews online said "Oh, it starts off promising but by the end it falls off a cliff of disappointment"

Naw the series is pretty great. There's a couple followup movies that are just plain ol' boring though and those are disappointing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've definitely heard people say that about the series and I think its just misplaced expectations tbh, maybe they wanted it to focus on the conspiracy rather than be the more character-driven show that is is. the kinda people that watched lost and only cared about "the answers" basically

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

kino's journey. it's got a nice atmosphere, kinda fits into a similar mold as haibane renmei in a few ways. it has a good dub.
samurai champloo. it's by a lot of the same staff as bebop and has a good dub.

These are my pics too.

I'm also gonna throw a curveball and say that you two should check out Welcome to the NHK.

Julias fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 11, 2017

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

It's been mentioned but check out Samurai Champloo for sure. Katanagatari is very good as well but doesn't resemble much in that list. Maybe Witch Craft Works or Angel Beats?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Watch Witchcraft Works and maybe your wife will want to princess carry you.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmai
FLCL
Speed Grapher
Gurren Lagann
Eva
Chobits
My Hime

Cyber City Oedo 808

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm only five episodes from finishing Utena but I haven't watched it in days...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmai
FLCL
Speed Grapher
Gurren Lagann
Eva
Chobits
My Hime

Gun x Sword would be good as well

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh yeah, I almost forgot Serial Experiments Lain

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Is Psycho Pass any good? My wife was looking at a list online and was interested in it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I liked the first season of Psycho Pass, but gave up on season 2 and then forgot there was a movie.

Have you two seen Steins;Gate?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Is Psycho Pass any good? My wife was looking at a list online and was interested in it.

s1 is good, s2 is not. the movie is also fairly good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

psycho pass is a decent crimethriller but its maybe a third as smart as it thinks it is. also i liked s2.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

a kitten posted:

I liked the first season of Psycho Pass, but gave up on season 2 and then forgot there was a movie.

Disappointing. Why does it feel like so many animes have an awesome first season but fall apart in season 2?

a kitten posted:

Have you two seen Steins;Gate?

No, I'll look into it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Also, Symphogear.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ACCA 13 is good if the idea of the chillest, most low-key political conspiracy story filled with people eating delicious food and dealing with things through the power of just being smart people who have each other's backs sounds good

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Mordiceius posted:

Kyousougiga.

Also seconding the people saying ACCA, Kino's Journey, Serial Experiments Lain.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm only five episodes from finishing Utena but I haven't watched it in days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQnOYZ_Glt8

here u go

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

In an hour, we're streaming Wake Up, Girls!

Is this the idol show that finally reveals to us the dark, seedy underbelly of the yakuza-run idol business that Zorak warned us about? Tune in to find out!

Haha yeah

Aurora posted:

the entirety of wake up girls was leading to this one moment

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Good show.

Spinoff show WUG Zoo is also the best.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmai
FLCL
Speed Grapher
Gurren Lagann
Eva
Chobits
My Hime

gunbuster
giant robo the animation
el-hazard: the magnificient world

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Are they dubbed?

No but watch them anyway.

El-Hazard's dub however is better than the sub so I'd recommend that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
  • Psycho Pass has a Good-to-Great 1st Season, a lackluster (to be polite) 2nd Season and a movie that is adequate. It's ok. The first season is great and several people that I know already consider it a modern classic.
  • Darker than Black has a great first season. The 2nd season was a radical tonal shift and not everyone's cup of tea (and it's just not as great as Season 1, honestly). It also has like 3 interquel mangas and 5 OVA's, all of which are canon (except one which is a weird fanfiction of one of the tertiary characters or something). Stick with the first season of both this and Psycho Pass and you're golden.
  • Steins;Gate is good. Weird, but good.
  • Kyousougiga is a good acid trip.
  • Kaiba is, as dogsicle implied, something that you should watch.
  • Eden of the East is pretty cool. The movies are all different grades of "Eh".
  • ACCA Is really really good.
Out of all those, only ACCA and Steins;Gate are adaptations. The rest are all Original Anime. Serial Experiments Lain is good, but I'm gonna go against the grain and recommend you to watch it after you're done with whatever other recommendations were made. It's a really eerie show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/jckxm8.mp4

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

darker than black is ok but is one of the rare pieces of media where i wish it did more worldbuilding. it felt like they had a bunch of really bare bones concepts and characters and it made the show feel shallow. also the s1 ending was a mess.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't wait until I finally finish playing steins gate so I can watch steins gate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/appieringo/status/873726181891330051

:same:

• Locked thread