Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

bees x1000 posted:

chapters like this give me hope that the anime will be able to smooth the rough patches from the last few years and be 100% awesome.

Yeah this chapter would work a lot better in motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Its actually just Gojo's upper half walking around on his hands

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The smartest sorcerer of the heinan era vs the smartest human of all time

i love todo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

sukuna was unfortunately a desiccated finger during the rise of idols and thus can't comprehend todos well of strength

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

todo showing that binding vows made on the fly are crutches for lowiq sorcerers, a real genius makes the single vow that's necessary for victory

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

How far away is Hakari's fight? I'd like to see Uraume boogie their way into Sukuna's next domain expansion.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

todo showing that binding vows made on the fly are crutches for lowiq sorcerers, a real genius makes the single vow that's necessary for victory

:hai:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Todo with prep time >>>>> Batman with prep time.

:golfclap:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

lmao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like getting vibra-slap swapped would be very unpleasant and disorienting for the target!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Great chapter this week.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm divided on whether Todo (and maybe Nobara) coming back was always part of the plan or a response to fans loving those characters. The first feels more likely, given they were never shown to be dead, but it's weird to go this long without them if it was always part of the plan. I can't help but wonder if something happened that caused Gege to delay these characters returns in a way that hosed with the pacing.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I really do wonder if he had originally intended the series to end much sooner, but either 1) editorial pressures based on the success of the series (and anime) forced him to stretch out the Culling Game, or 2) he hadn't had things well planned out after Shibuya and greatly underestimated the time it might take to have the post-Shibuya developments play out in a reasonable manner. I can't decide between the two because it does feel stretched out, yet at the same time there are revelations and discoveries that do have a certain amount of payoff in the end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think trying to puzzle out imagined timelines and behind the scenes machinations and shifts to explain things is both a little weird and also will only leave you more unsatisfied.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I am confused by the end. Why is sukuna doing the gojo domain sign? Also is he dead? Yuji’s fingers are all up in this dude’s chest

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Taima posted:

I am confused by the end. Why is sukuna doing the gojo domain sign? Also is he dead? Yuji’s fingers are all up in this dude’s chest

He swapped the original Enten sign of Malevolent Shrine with the Gojo domain sign with a binding vow the last time he did Domain Expansion because he doesn't have left hands anymore, so he can't do the correct handsign.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh poo poo right. Thanks!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think trying to puzzle out imagined timelines and behind the scenes machinations and shifts to explain things is both a little weird and also will only leave you more unsatisfied.

Dissatisfaction is like 99% of the reason why I post.

And why would you think that? I'm always interested in the creative process and how stories turn out the way they do, whether intentionally or otherwise. I'm not trying to game out an alternate storyline, just interested in why/how it turned out this way, because in the end it was a creative choice that left people dissatisfied for what seems an excessive period of time. Obviously we're yet to see if the payoff (if any) sheds some light in a way that makes sense, or at least satisfies the reader, and either way a post-mortem can actually add to one's understanding of authorial intent.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Dissatisfaction is like 99% of the reason why I post.

And why would you think that? I'm always interested in the creative process and how stories turn out the way they do, whether intentionally or otherwise. I'm not trying to game out an alternate storyline, just interested in why/how it turned out this way, because in the end it was a creative choice that left people dissatisfied for what seems an excessive period of time. Obviously we're yet to see if the payoff (if any) sheds some light in a way that makes sense, or at least satisfies the reader, and either way a post-mortem can actually add to one's understanding of authorial intent.

Because it's entirely baseless speculation that can never ever actually give any real information so you're digging to find an answer to something that doesn't really need one.

For example, in this case the reason Todo (and possibly others) were held back to the last minute is because they are textually stated to be the last trump cards to keep hidden against this enemy specifically. It's not the weird to go this long without seeing them because they were being held back for this specific moment and we had repeated character and story beats between disappearance and now that directly brought their absence into question and also indirectly did the same. That's not bad pacing or a delay that's just...a long build up. Trying to imagine some theoretical editor who forced Gege to change it from some previous earlier reveal that would nonetheless have their appearing here a big pop off moment is making up both a new version of the story you're imagining and also the devious machinations of the external forces that forced the author to change from them. It's just silly. And there is no possible way to gain anything from it other than making yourself more dissatisfied over imagined bad actors or turns of fate that changed it from an imagined version of the story you thought was going to exist and have also made up.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think the problem with the Culling Games is that they're too long, but just that there isn't enough meat to the character interactions. If anything, I think the manga needed an interstitial arc in between Gojo being freed and the big fighting roulette, even though that would have made hiding the training stuff and putting it in flashbacks more difficult.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Because it's entirely baseless speculation that can never ever actually give any real information so you're digging to find an answer to something that doesn't really need one.

For example, in this case the reason Todo (and possibly others) were held back to the last minute is because they are textually stated to be the last trump cards to keep hidden against this enemy specifically. It's not the weird to go this long without seeing them because they were being held back for this specific moment and we had repeated character and story beats between disappearance and now that directly brought their absence into question and also indirectly did the same. That's not bad pacing or a delay that's just...a long build up. Trying to imagine some theoretical editor who forced Gege to change it from some previous earlier reveal that would nonetheless have their appearing here a big pop off moment is making up both a new version of the story you're imagining and also the devious machinations of the external forces that forced the author to change from them. It's just silly. And there is no possible way to gain anything from it other than making yourself more dissatisfied over imagined bad actors or turns of fate that changed it from an imagined version of the story you thought was going to exist and have also made up.

I just told you that's not what I'm doing, though.

Whether the story holds together in the end is its own issue, as far as I'm concerned. The reasons why can be enlightening, but it won't change that assessment and, just like you, I'm not interested in speculating on exact could-have-beens.

That's all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I just told you that's not what I'm doing, though.

Whether the story holds together in the end is its own issue, as far as I'm concerned. The reasons why can be enlightening, but it won't change that assessment and, just like you, I'm not interested in speculating on exact could-have-beens.

That's all.

But you cannot know the reasons why so that's also just speculating. Like the "Oh I wonder if the editor made him change something" as a consideration is built on speculating it was one thing and it has been changed to turn into what we got. It's built on speculating on a could-have-been being forced to change into a here-and-now

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

But you cannot know the reasons why so that's also just speculating. Like the "Oh I wonder if the editor made him change something" as a consideration is built on speculating it was one thing and it has been changed to turn into what we got. It's built on speculating on a could-have-been being forced to change into a here-and-now

can a motherfucker not wonder in this thread or what

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

can a motherfucker not wonder in this thread or what

can a motherfucker not think it's incredibly silly to wonder about things that both aren't the story and might not even exist when talking about a story?

Like at the end of the day, whether or not the author changed something in writing to get to where it is today doesn't really matter, it doesn't change the story. As a postmortem where maybe you've got some info or interviews I can kind of get it but doing it while the plot is still going when you have 0 behind the scenes info seems goofy. It's just wild speculation.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 19, 2024

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

can a motherfucker not think it's incredibly silly to wonder about things that both aren't the story and might not even exist when talking about a story?

a motherfucker can, and hopefully could say so without such condescension

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

a motherfucker can, and hopefully could say so without such condescension

Like I said, it just seems silly as hell because there's literally no info to base it on. It's just reading a plot point you may or may not like and making something up about the construction of the story to theorize why it's like that. That's not really a conversation or discussion anyone can add to because it's just nothing but the posters gut feeling.

Which is why I said to start I said I think it's a little weird and cannot lead to a satisfactory answer or discussion.

Also I'm sorry if you're reading condescension into any of these posts, I don't intend it. It's why I'm saying things like "I think it's just silly" because I don't want to be too inflammatory. Outside of the quoted post of course but that was meeting you where you were.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 19, 2024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just wish the military hadn't been involved

still not sure what the point of that was

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I think it's meant to explain the lack of outside aid coming when it looks to the rest of the world like just a warzone? But also it did let Kenjaku show off some stuff before his like two actual fights one of which was mostly comedy bits.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shinjobi posted:

To explain the generation of a big mass of cursed energy for the culling game I guess? I kinda don't remember. With the exception of the odd funny/bright spots the culling game was mostly mush.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
:gbsmith: Makes me happy that we’re back to peak JJK in the final (?) fight. Especially when I see how the end of MHA is going. I think the Takaba fight is what restored my faith in the manga and it hasn’t been misplaced.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it was a little out-of-left-field but i think the sudden focus on binding vows was a good call, since it showed sukuna having to rewrite his powerset on the fly because he doesn't have the juice to unleash their original versions anymore

much better than the usual approach where the villain smugly goes "nuh-uh" for sixty chapters and then disintegrates when the protagonist lands a punch or slash identical to the dozens they've tanked through prior

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd prefer the 'nuh-uh' tbh, in the sense that if he just had Sukuna doing crazy poo poo and not explaining why or how. I don't mind it too much or anything but I've never really understood the jjk combat system and I just can't really follow the Binding Vow stuff and it comes off weird to me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

the binding vow stuff basically IS a nuh uh, like he binding vowed to use gojos hand sign because the heroes disabled his ability to use his other hand. Thats a nuh uh with window dressing.

I think the big problem with binding vows is we ve never shown them actually have a consequence or had anyone break one and suffer a reprisal, so there is very little stakes or tension within the system. Each chapter could feature a new asspull binding vow and id just go ok whatever.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Shinjobi posted:

Sorcerers weren't dying and spending energy fast enough (the new rules meant that the players didn't need to kill each other), and because it was sorcerers killing each other, there were no cursed spirits hanging around outside of the roach. Introduce a bunch of normal humans, who have a goal of capturing or killing sorcerers, combine that with any sorcerers they kill turning into cursed spirits, and you get a whole lot of energy being gathered and spent again.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
been pointed out that the vibraslap sfx matches the sfx from yuta murking kenjaku, and lake gosho is the colony where yuta kills kenjaku. so it was almost certainly boogie woogie but it wasn't yuta using it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

TheHan posted:

been pointed out that the vibraslap sfx matches the sfx from yuta murking kenjaku, and lake gosho is the colony where yuta kills kenjaku. so it was almost certainly boogie woogie but it wasn't yuta using it

Can someone put these side by side? In the Viz chapter its KLANG and the vibraslap is Rattle & Bink & Bonk?? Im still not seeing it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

it was a little out-of-left-field but i think the sudden focus on binding vows was a good call, since it showed sukuna having to rewrite his powerset on the fly because he doesn't have the juice to unleash their original versions anymore

much better than the usual approach where the villain smugly goes "nuh-uh" for sixty chapters and then disintegrates when the protagonist lands a punch or slash identical to the dozens they've tanked through prior
The binding vows are pretty much a "nuh-uh" thing.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
My take on the binding vows fixation is that it’s the explanation on why Sukuna is so dominant as the King of Curses. It’s just something that needs to make sense in your head at the time, there isn’t some all-powerful Jujutsu God determining if you secretly broke a vow or if it’s reasonable. So Sukuna is the best at gaslighting himself into thinking that ridiculous vows that boost his strength for minimal consequences are actually totally fair and valid.

Gojo is the greatest of the modern era because limitless and six-eyes basically break the rules all on their own. Sukuna is the greatest in history because he’s read the manual cover to cover multiple times and knows how to game the system. Dude probably didn’t even have much cursed energy to begin with but made a vow that he will have a nearly unlimited pool of cursed energy but if he ever stands on his head while looking at the moon when he is underwater his left pinky toe will turn blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
drat I've looked forward to a lot of next chapters of this manga, but I'm REALLY looking forward to this next chapter.

This whole Sukuna fight is an all-timer crazy shonen manga fight. I don't think I've seen this much crazy bullshit involving all sorts of characters and abilities since the end of Naruto.